PDA

View Full Version : Over/under on how it takes ESPN to actually cover the Bills uni story

X-Era
06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm saying it won't be until the next new Sportscenter and will be a total of 1 minute of coverage... 11pm tonight is my guess... Oh wait, it won't be a top story so let me change that... 11:34.

Mr. Pink
06-24-2011, 06:57 PM
I bet they don't show it at all.

Philagape
06-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Why would they cover it at all? Who cares besides Bills fans?

X-Era
06-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Why would they cover it at all? Who cares besides Bills fans?I don't know. You claim to be the leader in sports news, to me that means you are first to break any sports story... Crazy?

Philagape
06-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't know. You claim to be the leader in sports news, to me that means you are first to break any sports story... Crazy?

Yes.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-24-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't know. You claim to be the leader in sports news, to me that means you are first to break any sports story... Crazy?

Apparently yes. According to Len DeLuca:
"It is long proven in NBA and NFL and MLB that spreading the wealth to 30 or 32 teams is a prescription for deflating ratings."

Ebenezer
06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
The lockout better end soon...otherwise, guys are going to be betting on how Fitz spent the weekend with the family.

X-Era
06-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Excessively
Selecting
Pats
News

Didn't catch it at 11 last night, I'm watching the re-run this morning (I think). Were at the :15 minute mark and no mention yet. I said :34... let's see.

Mike
06-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Why would they cover it at all? Who cares besides Bills fans?

Exactly!

Mike
06-25-2011, 09:48 AM
So you guys think that ESPN should cover every single jersey change across all sports?

Lebron changes his number last year, & they spent a minute on it because a number is a number, it's not news and that was the King!

Mike
06-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Lastly, ESPN is a private company & they have the Freedom to dowhatever they want with their company. Who are you to judge them or to tell them how to run it?

There are 3 ESPN channels so they can not comply with every sports fans wishes, including yours. They naturally celebrate Winners, Revalent Teams, etc... Bills are not relevant or a winner!

Right now they are covering Wibleton! Can anyone tell me how much tiime they spent on talking about the 29th best player? How about baseball, how often do they talk about the worst 3 teams???

If the Bills were Champs believe me ESPN would be talking about them!!!

ServoBillieves
06-25-2011, 10:15 AM
So you guys think that ESPN should cover every single jersey change across all sports?

Lebron changes his number last year, & they spent a minute on it because a number is a number, it's not news and that was the King!

Were you blind, deaf, or just living under a rock when LeBron changed his team/jersey/number? Remember the love for the Jags and Chargers the past few times they changed their jerseys? THE JAGS.

Believe me, I don't care that ESPN won't show our new unis, that's for us fans to care about and for other teams to fear :snicker: but they do PLENTY of things about jersey changes, they at least mention them.

better days
06-25-2011, 10:16 AM

The NBA is a sport watched by few people anymore. That league is in trouble.

X-Era
06-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Were you blind, deaf, or just living under a rock when LeBron changed his team/jersey/number? Remember the love for the Jags and Chargers the past few times they changed their jerseys? THE JAGS.

Believe me, I don't care that ESPN won't show our new unis, that's for us fans to care about and for other teams to fear :snicker: but they do PLENTY of things about jersey changes, they at least mention them.
What they don't do: Adequately cover whats going on across sports

What they will do: Cover the stories that garner the most interest and therefore make them the most money

It's inadequate sports journalism but solid business.

ZEUS
06-25-2011, 06:46 PM
It's really not news worthy. Except for local Buffalo. This may come as a surprise to some of you, but the rest of the country could care less about a dumpy little city like Buffalo.

Philagape
06-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Only homers care about something like this.

better days
06-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Only homers care about something like this.

Well, I think only Bills fans "care" about the change from the ugly uniforms worn for the last decade of futility, but I thik all football fans are interested in the change, just as I am interested in seeing other teams new uniforms.

For example I was interested to see the Seahawks uniforms when they changed, but it does not bother me that they are ugly as hell.

Philagape
06-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, I think only Bills fans "care" about the change from the ugly uniforms worn for the last decade of futility, but I thik all football fans are interested in the change, just as I am interested in seeing other teams new uniforms.

For example I was interested to see the Seahawks uniforms when they changed, but it does not bother me that they are ugly as hell.

I meant the Sportscenter coverage of it.

Philagape
06-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Here's some national coverage for you: :jill:

If nothing else, the Buffalo Bills won’t look as stupid this year (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/If-nothing-else-the-Buffalo-Bills-won-8217-t-l?urn=nfl-wp2914)

SeatownBillsFan21
06-26-2011, 12:00 AM
I saw the unis on NFL live last night Micheal Smith than gave his best And worse jersey in the NFL in his option Raiders were the best Jags were the worst so ther was about 2 mins of coverage for you guys

Mike
06-26-2011, 01:29 AM

We are talking more about the spiller number change than the media covering James did. When the media addressed this they talked far more about his team change, how things will be, predictions, etc & the # change took all of 5 seconds to mention. There wasn't this huge discussion about between multiple people like were doing here. In minutes of coverage were spending more time covering Spiller number change more that the media covered James number change! Now the Meia has far greater reach & b breath so we should nt even be able to come close.

It's a non story!

Mike
06-26-2011, 01:33 AM
The NBA is a sport watched by few people anymore. That league is in trouble.

Shouldnt ESPN cover all sports equally & not discriminate? That's what this thread is arguing. If it's ok not to cover one thing(like NBA) than it's ok not to cover another thing(like the Bills).

FYI: NBA's popularity may seem low in Buffalo But is doing very well. Look @ the Finals rating over the last few years. NBA is clearly ahead of the NHL in popularity.

better days
06-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Shouldnt ESPN cover all sports equally & not discriminate? That's what this thread is arguing. If it's ok not to cover one thing(like NBA) than it's ok not to cover another thing(like the Bills).

FYI: NBA's popularity may seem low in Buffalo But is doing very well. Look @ the Finals rating over the last few years. NBA is clearly ahead of the NHL in popularity.

ESPN should cover all sports equally & not discriminate, but they don't. They give the NBA much more coverage than the NHL because they televise NBA games while they do not televise NHL games.

I live in S.W. Florida & I can tell you the NBA is not popular down here. The sports bars down here may have NBA games on a few of the TV's but nobody is watching them. Far more people in the bars are watching the hockey games down here.

The reason the NBA has better numbers than the NHL is because ABC & ESPN are in many more homes than VS. I think if an unbiased poll were taken, the NHL would be much closer to the NBA in popularity than the TV ratings indicate.

X-Era
06-26-2011, 06:25 AM
If they only cover teams or players that are currently good, I guess we won't have to watch any Tiger Woods coverage...

Just so were clear, ESPN covered Clay Mathews and his training using MMA and how it might affect his play on the field... That, on this day, was more important that an NFL team changing their uniforms. Couldn't have waited a day and covered that story, had to skip the Bills uni change but cover this instead. If you go to their website under headlines, the Bills uniform change isn't even listed. Adrian Peterson being sorry about missing youth camp... that's there. But the Bills uniform change isn't.

They are in this to make money, not to cover all sports.

They have way over covered the Heat, the Pats (for years), and the Yankees. The Bills don't even get equal time when they are going through the games. Lance Armstrong has probably gotten more coverage than the Bills.

mayotm
06-26-2011, 07:34 AM
What have the Bills done in the past decade that warrants a bunch of national coverage? Have they received less national coverage than the other perennial losers? They sure as hell received a ton of national coverage when they were winning in the early 90's. ESPN does plenty that annoys me beyond belief. Them not covering the Bills uniform change is not one of them. Sorry, but being bothered by this is classic Buffalo sports fans inferiority complex.

Philagape
06-26-2011, 07:36 AM
An All-Pro member of the SB champions using MMA is way more interesting to anyone not a Bills fan. That's absolutely the right call for a national show.
They're not supposed to give equal time to all teams. They're supposed to give what a national audience would care about the most. That's what any media outlet that wants to continue to remain a media outlet should care about: giving its audience what it wants. That's why there is no reason for them to cover an unpopular team's uniform change. To non-Bills fans, it's just not sports news. And they're right.

Dude
06-26-2011, 12:59 PM
ESPN is not in the journalism business - they are in the entertainment business.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-26-2011, 04:02 PM
ESPN is not in the journalism business - they are in the entertainment business.
Well, what do you expect from the Entertainment Sports Programming Network?

About the only thing keeping them afloat is the fact that the Big Three still spread their TV rights across several networks. Whenever it comes to an exclusive contract, they seem to be getting outbid quite a lot lately (NFL radio rights, NHL, Olympics). NBC is on the rise. Fox is trying to get its arm in. CBS is sitting still-- other than the NFL, sports has mostly been an afterthought to them. ESPN, on the other hand, is heading downhill as far as sports product goes, and it shows by their clinging to the same few buzz topics. Unfortunately, ESPN's the only one to have a regular newscast, and that (along with the fact they've been around since 1979) is part of the reason they're able to dictate the sports media.