PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Smith?

mackey789
06-24-2003, 09:26 AM
I know that he is set to play with Washington again this year but what are the chances that they will release him this summer? I heard a couple of rumors that they are going to cut him before training camp. I think that if he is released we should make a strong push to sign him. We are weak at DE and he would be a huge upgrade. He would also put a lot of people in the seats.

WG
06-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Upgrade?

Well, maybe. But that doesn't say too much about what we have then.

Bruce is finished! He's lost too much speed and he's too small to play on strength.

THATHURMANATOR
06-24-2003, 09:45 AM
But WYS would you love to yell Bruce one more time?

justasportsfan
06-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR

You still can even without him being on the team.

When Spkies hits Fiedler... "Bruuuuised" followed by "stretcher"

WG
06-24-2003, 09:51 AM
:scratch:

Not really... :D

I'd be happy to yell "BRUCE" when we play the Skins and MW or JJ shuts his slowed arse down!

That's when I'd like to yell Bruce! We'll see how good he is in that game. He'll be going up against one of the league's most, if not "the most", immobile QBs, but behind a very effective OL.

I'll bet ya that Bruce has no sacks, no big plays, and less than 4 tackles in that game.

THATHURMANATOR
06-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Just askin man. Thats cool. If he isn't on our team than F him!

WG
06-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Fix him...?

Is that what you meant to say...

;)

mikemac2001
06-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Bruce washed up.....hey bruce isnt what he was but he can still play he had 9 sacks last year. i think we would take 6 from him

id take that for a 3rd down pash rusher

ublinkwescore
06-24-2003, 01:38 PM
F Emmitt too.

THATHURMANATOR
06-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Yeah what he said.

BillsNYC
06-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR

no need! don't forget...this year we're gonna yell

SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPP

WG
06-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by mikemac2001
Bruce washed up.....hey bruce isnt what he was but he can still play he had 9 sacks last year. i think we would take 6 from him

id take that for a 3rd down pash rusher

Indeed! Unfortunately they were all sacks against QBs with mostly horrible OLs and/or on horrible teams.

Living in the D.C. area, I watch the Skins usually by default if the Bills are not on. I've seen him play plenty and I'm tellin' ya he may get some sacks against some scrub teams, but his days as a decent pass rusher w/ any semblance of dominance are gone.

We're not in a state right now where we should accept mediocrity instead of trying to develop mediocrity into better than mediocre talent. I.e., we're movin' up, not down! Signing Bruce would be a bad sign for the team.

It also cannot be anything positive other than nostalgia. Bruce left here on his own terms somewhat unfavorably and with bitterness towards the team. He's not anywhere near what he used to be, he'll be 40 this season, which I predict will be his last as he registers his sack record w/ a walker, and he's finished as anything short of a very, very average, or less than that this year perhaps, player.

We don't need him. Besides, there's no way on earth that TD would sign him anyway.

BillsNYC
06-24-2003, 03:07 PM
WYS if you had to have:

A) Travis Brown and Bruce Smith

or

B) Drew Bledsoe

on the team...which would you pick?

Jan Reimers
06-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Let's develop our young talent rather than recycling has beens.

Demon
06-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by mackey789
I know that he is set to play with Washington again this year but what are the chances that they will release him this summer? I heard a couple of rumors that they are going to cut him before training camp. I think that if he is released we should make a strong push to sign him. We are weak at DE and he would be a huge upgrade. He would also put a lot of people in the seats.

No.

Simple as that, I do not want Bruce Smith in a Bills jersey again. He was a star here and those days are long gone. Please people, stop living in the past.

Demon
06-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
WYS if you had to have:

A) Travis Brown and Bruce Smith

or

B) Drew Bledsoe

on the team...which would you pick?

What kind of question is that? I don't want to anwser for anyone, but why would you be asking someone if they wanted a 3rd stringer + a backup DE for one of the best players on the team?????? Makes no sence at all to me.

MDFINFAN
06-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Demon

What kind of question is that? I don't want to anwser for anyone, but why would you be asking someone if they wanted a 3rd stringer + a backup DE for one of the best players on the team?????? Makes no sence at all to me.

Now you know how we feel when some of these guys come over to the phins board...:lolcry:

mikemac2001
06-25-2003, 01:12 AM
bruce still got 9 sacks we didnt always play best OL's so why dont our DLineman all have nine sacks. you still have to have game to get that ...i dont care where u live either wys id take bruce for 3rd down situations

BillsNYC
06-25-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Demon

it was a joke....lighten up

imbondz
06-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Demon, it's American humor. I thought it was funny. :cas:

ryven
06-25-2003, 11:43 AM
If this was bruce's last season I think it would be nice to have him retire as a bill he has done alot for us in the pass but it will not happen so it's no concern but it would still be nice to see him retire as a bill.

MDFINFAN
06-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by ryven
If this was bruce's last season I think it would be nice to have him retire as a bill he has done alot for us in the pass but it will not happen so it's no concern but it would still be nice to see him retire as a bill.

I'm sure he will retire as a bill, but just won't play for them his last year.

Bert102176
06-27-2003, 11:01 PM
well Jones has the injury that isn't healing well and may retire so I say hell yeah sign Bruce if he becomes available.

Bert102176
06-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Roger Clemons is a horses arse and I am being nice cause I can't say in here how I really feel about him.

WG
06-27-2003, 11:16 PM
Demon,

LOL. You'll have to excuse NYC. As well, please cut NYC some slack. He recently had a metal sphere placed inside his head that "protects his brain." Unfortunately it acts as sort of a faraday cage which affects his thinking and communicating. He needs our condolences and understanding.

:D

Originally posted by mikemac2001
bruce still got 9 sacks we didnt always play best OL's so why dont our DLineman all have nine sacks. you still have to have game to get that ...i dont care where u live either wys id take bruce for 3rd down situations

Schobel had what, 8! Now go look at the teams that Schobel logged sacks against and then go look at the teams that Bruce logged his watered down sacks against and then tell me honestly if you don't see a glaring difference!

The only reason why Bruce is even playing this season is to break White's sack record, which is anticlimatic to me since it will have taken Bruce 4 more seasons than it took Reggie!

THenPitBull
06-29-2003, 10:41 AM
no bashing bruce, but I dont think he's an upgrade, I think your all going to be impressed with Schobel and Kelsay and Jones if he can get back to what he once was.