PDA

View Full Version : Serious shot at Brad Richards!

X-Era
06-29-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=370390

don137
06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I wonder if the Sabres sign Ehrhoff if it will help or hurt their chances to sign Richards. It may help entice Richards but I have to think they only have so much cap space and may not be able to offer Richards as much now.

SkateZilla
06-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Info Gathered via his agent:

Richards wants 55 Million / 8 Years , Err Maybe
Stable Ownership, Check
Small market, Check
Young Team, Check.

That would be 6.8 Million of our remaining 9 Million Cap Space.

Total: 50.925 +1.43 (Gerbe), Still Got Gragnani, Sekera, Weber, Enoth.

So 50.925+1.43-64.3=

11.945 Cap Space Left To Sign Erhoff and Richards.

Richards Wants 55/8, So 11.945 - 6.8 which leaves 5.145Million to sign erhoff, grag, sekera, weber, enroth.

IF Erhoff is signed for more than 3 Mill cap hit, waive bye bye to richards.

SabreEleven
06-29-2011, 08:37 PM
We can stick Kotalik down in Rochester for an extra 3 million

Ebenezer
06-29-2011, 08:38 PM

Stable Ownership, Check
Small market, Check
Young Team, Check.

So 50.925+1.43-64.3=

Richards Wants 55/8, So 11.945 - 6.8 which leaves 5.145Million to sign erhoff, grag, sekera, weber, enroth.

They have room to trim...Send Kotalik and Morrissoonn to the minors...trade Roy.

THATHURMANATOR
06-29-2011, 08:47 PM

Stable Ownership, Check
Small market, Check
Young Team, Check.

So 50.925+1.43-64.3=

Are you guys seriously not paying attention????

My god

If we get Richards and Sign Erhoff we will just ship kotalik and Morrison to Rochester for the year. That is 5 more million right away. Pegula doesn't give a ****. This isn't cheap skate Golisano anymore.

THATHURMANATOR
06-29-2011, 08:47 PM
They have room to trim...Send Kotalik and Morrissoonn to the minors...trade Roy.
Keep Roy even.

Amazing # 2 center....

don137
06-29-2011, 08:48 PM
I agree with Eb, Roy could be traded if they sign Ehroff and Richards. With the cap floor many teams need to get to the minimum which makes Pominville marketable this off season too. If Campbell and his monster contract can get traded then someone like Pominville or Roy can easily be traded even though I would rather unload Pominville.

bigbub2352
06-29-2011, 09:47 PM
get it done sign ehroff

Crisis
06-30-2011, 02:31 AM
the problem with shipping whoever down to the minors, is that their cap space won't come off the books until the season begins.... which is pointless for free agency.

with that said i don't think we'd have a problem signing richards+erhoff

SabreEleven
06-30-2011, 04:22 AM

So the Sabres are thin at center and you want to trade the best one on the current roster to bring in another one. That doesn't make sense.

SabreEleven
06-30-2011, 04:23 AM
the problem with shipping whoever down to the minors, is that their cap space won't come off the books until the season begins.... which is pointless for free agency.

with that said i don't think we'd have a problem signing richards+erhoff

They can also be 10 percent over the cap during the off season. Plenty of room.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-30-2011, 04:42 AM
Don't forget that they can (hopefully) dump Boyes on someone.

Jan Reimers
06-30-2011, 05:36 AM
They can also be 10 percent over the cap during the off season. Plenty of room.
With that 10%, we have about $15M to spend. Should be just about right for Ehrhoff and Richards. With Kotalik and Morrisonn going to Rochester, we should be fine.

Mski
06-30-2011, 08:32 AM
They can also be 10 percent over the cap during the off season. Plenty of room.i think we can technically go over by the 10% and Roy's contract, because of his injury status, as long as we're back under the 10% by the start of training camp

jamze132
06-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Doubtful we'll sign Richards, which will cause us to overpay for Ehrhoff just to make a "splash".

psubills62
06-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Doubtful we'll sign Richards, which will cause us to overpay for Ehrhoff just to make a "splash".
It would seem that if they're going to sign Ehrhoff, it would be before he is a UFA, and thus he should be signed before Richards.

OpIv37
06-30-2011, 09:42 AM
You know, if the Sabres offer him something in the $6.5-$7 mil a year range and get outbid, I'll be disappointed but I won't hold it against the organization.

It's not their fault if someone else is stupid enough to overpay, and a bid that high would at least show that they are serious, and show an improvement over how they've done business in the past.

SkateZilla
06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Richards wants more than money..

- 55Mill/8 years
- Small Market
- Stable Ownership
- Young Team

Mski
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
i've heard the small market thing from multiple sources, which leads me to believe that all the talk about him going to NYR simply because the guy he won the cup with is there is total BS. hockey doesnt get a bigger market than NY

SkateZilla
06-30-2011, 10:32 AM
TBH I dont see how golisano wasnt making money,

in 41 home games, if they are all sellouts, he's making 65-77Million on Tickets alone, not counting concessions, apparel/Branded items, TV Share, and Retail Share.

Ebenezer
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
TBH I dont see how golisano wasnt making money,

People MUST stop thinking in terms of making money. Businesses make money. People like TG want to make AS MUCH money as possible. In their world, it is not ok to just "turn a profit".

SkateZilla
06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
People MUST stop thinking in terms of making money. Businesses make money. People like TG want to make AS MUCH money as possible. In their world, it is not ok to just "turn a profit".

i know this, just saying, there was an interview somewhere, where he said he was losing money

Mski
06-30-2011, 10:54 AM
i know this, just saying, there was an interview somewhere, where he said he was losing moneyi think it was more along the lines of, do what you can but "dont lose me money". i dont think he ever said the team was in the red

chernobylwraiths
06-30-2011, 11:10 AM
i think we can technically go over by the 10% and Roy's contract, because of his injury status, as long as we're back under the 10% by the start of training camp

Roy played in the playoffs last year, so his injury status is done I think. Pomminville on the other hand... and he makes more.

chernobylwraiths
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
i've heard the small market thing from multiple sources, which leads me to believe that all the talk about him going to NYR simply because the guy he won the cup with is there is total BS. hockey doesnt get a bigger market than NY

Well, there is no doubt NY is the world's biggest market. Hockey market though, I think you can't get bigger than Toronto and Montreal.

Ebenezer
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Roy played in the playoffs last year, so his injury status is done I think. Pomminville on the other hand... and he makes more.

Irrelevent. They can exceed the salary cap by 10% during the offseason (as per John Vogl in Wednesday's BuffNews.) They basically can sign guys up to a value of $70 mil right now.

In the summertime, teams can spend 10 percent above the salary cap. That additional $6.4 million provides the Sabres with $15 million to entice the available talent.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article471490.ece

Mski
06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
if you call what Roy did in game 7 "playing" but i think it all has to do with the post season physical, not their game time status as of the last game of the year

chernobylwraiths
06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
if you call what Roy did in game 7 "playing" but i think it all has to do with the post season physical, not their game time status as of the last game of the year

OK, but I think Pomminville's status would be the same.

Mski
06-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Irrelevent. They can exceed the salary cap by 10% during the offseason (as per John Vogl in Wednesday's BuffNews.) They basically can sign guys up to a value of $70 mil right now.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article471490.ecethere's more to it than what the article states... it was brought up with drury, when originally thought he couldnt be bought out, in order to get relief from an injured players contract, the team has to be over the 10% above the cap by the full ammount of the contract when camp begins, but no matter what they cannot exceed the 10% on the start of camp

Mski
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
OK, but I think Pomminville's status would be the same.but i would rather have him on the team over Roy

chernobylwraiths
06-30-2011, 11:25 AM
but i would rather have him on the team over Roy

Me too, I just wish his contract wasn't so high. But with the right additions, he could flourish once again.

Ebenezer
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
there's more to it than what the article states... it was brought up with drury, when originally thought he couldnt be bought out, in order to get relief from an injured players contract, the team has to be over the 10% above the cap by the full ammount of the contract when camp begins, but no matter what they cannot exceed the 10% on the start of camp

I am just going by what was published. I've tried reading the salary section of the CBA...it actually hurts.

Mski
06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
the only reason i know about it is because NHL On the Fly went into it in depth when the initial reports came out that the rangers couldnt buy out Drury

Dr. Lecter
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
A players salary counts against the cap unless they are on LTIR. Neither Pominville or Roy will qualify for LTIR.
But guys like Morrisson and Kotalik can be sent to Rochester, creating cap room. So the point is moot.

SabreEleven
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Richards' agent: "Tell Darcy to be aggressive"

Brad Richards will be the biggest prize on the free agent market come Friday at noon. This morning we spoke with his agent Pat Morris, who laid out all that his client is looking for from his next team. It sure sounds like Buffalo could fit the bill.

The money will come. That's a certainty. A #1 center in a market with very few options at center will get the big bucks. Morris says that Richards has other things he's looking for, "He would like to first and foremost, when you've won a Stanley Cup, you want to win another one. He'd like to win again and have an opportunity to be with a team that has younger players coming in to fill and in a market where hockey matters every game, game in and game out with full buildings. A hockey market with an opportunity to win are the top 2 criteria."

Richards will be at Morris' office in Mississauga on Friday when free agency opens up.

http://wgr550.com/Richards--agent----Tell-Darcy-to-be-aggressive--/10234794

If the Sabres are serious about getting Richards, they should be at Richards agents office with contract and pen ringing his doorbell at 12:00:01PM

SkateZilla
06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
i;d be there early and slide a copy under the office door. so by 12:00:01 its already signed and being Faxed to NHL office

SabreEleven
06-30-2011, 02:47 PM
i;d be there early and slide a copy under the office door. so by 12:00:01 its already signed and being Faxed to NHL office

So you want them to tamper with a UFA before it's legal? (Not that it doesn't happen)

Mski
06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
If the Sabres are serious about getting Richards, they should be at Richards agents office with contract and pen ringing his doorbell at 12:00:01PMI heard an interview with either regier or black (not sure wich one) this morning, and they said it would not be unreasonable for pegula and his wife to be on their plane visiting prospective fa's tomorrow

SabreEleven
06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Isn't it about a 2 1/2 hour car ride? Then can even stop for some IHOP and make there by noon.

SkateZilla
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
So you want them to tamper with a UFA before it's legal? (Not that it doesn't happen)

Take him to IHOP.

SabreEleven
06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Take him to IHOP.

As long as they don't talk about hockey and just about blueberry pancakes, they should be fine.

Mski
06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
As long as they don't talk about hockey and just about blueberry pancakes, they should be fine.maybe he's a stuffed french toast guy :idunno:

SabreEleven
06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
maybe he's a stuffed french toast guy :idunno:

or he could go with the "Lecter" aka The Fresh and Fruity.

Mski
06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
regardless of what happens tomorrow with richards, its very refreshing to know that a buffalo team is a serious contender for the top free agent, and making a splash in the national media, well atleast the nhl media

SkateZilla
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
regardless of what happens tomorrow with richards, its very refreshing to know that a buffalo team is a serious contender for the top free agent, and making a splash in the national media, well atleast the nhl media

it would suck if our splash was to re-sign Timah, thats not even a ripple in my book. :censored:

don137
06-30-2011, 05:45 PM
I could see the Sabres signing Richards and then trading someone like Boyes at a discount. Since teams have to spend a minimum and many teams are well below that amount and not much out there in free agency players like Boyes will be very tradeable. Trade him and send Morrison and Kotalik to Amerks and the Sabres are off the hook for 9 million against their cap.

Michael82
06-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Anyone else think that Richards is looking at what the Sabres have done so far and getting excited about possibly joining us? I for one can't wait to see what's up Darcy's sleeve tomorrow and I hope that the first thing he does is get Richards and don't even think about bringing back Connolly.