PDA

View Full Version : Best coaches: Styles, strengths vary

justasportsfan
06-30-2011, 10:50 AM
7. Best innovator: Chan Gailey -- Gailey hasn't had much success in Buffalo, but that's not because he lacks creativity. This is the same man who created the "Slash" role for Kordell Stewart when he was a raw quarterback hoping to find a way to contribute to the Steelers in the 1990s. (Gailey was the team's offensive coordinator at the time.)

Gailey also was running the Chiefs' offense in 2008 when injuries forced him to rely on an unproven, unheralded quarterback named Tyler Thigpen for 11 games. All Gailey did at that point was junk his more conventional offense for a spread system that played to Thigpen's strengths and enabled the quarterback to throw 18 touchdown passes against 11 interceptions.

Now Gailey is working his magic again with Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. A backup for most of his first five seasons, Fitzpatrick threw for 3,000 yards with 23 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions in 2010. The simple truth is that no head coach is capable of doing more with less than Gailey. His problem is that he always keeps winding up with less.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=6712271

stuckincincy
06-30-2011, 01:50 PM
4 -12.

That's magical...one was a magical comeback victory against a CIN team that in the 2nd half were so injured that they scraped scrub180 lb special team folks off the bench and had lbs drop into continual coverage.

If CIN didn t get decimated, Gailey is 3 and 12.

Chan hasn't proved a thing to me. He - evidently - advoacted the 1st round drafting of a scat back that saw little action last season, and when he did, got flattened. Spiller, like Maybin, has to somehow justify their high pick.

Two #1's who can't break into the lineup - not so good.

better days
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
4 -12.

That's magical...one was a magical comeback victory against a CIN team that in the 2nd half were so injured that they scraped scrub180 lb special team folks off the bench and had lbs drop into continual coverage.

If CIN didn' t get decimated, Gailey is 3 and 12.

If Stevie doesn't fdrop that TD pass against the Steelers, the Bills are 5-11 & don't get to draft Dareus.

justasportsfan
06-30-2011, 03:32 PM
4 -12.

If CIN didn t get decimated, Gailey is 3 and 12.
Not sure where you're going with this . If we started Fitz instead of TE vs. the fins.The if's could have gone the other way too. If Stevie didn't drop the ball vs. Pitts. If we didn't drop the ball vs. Ravens.

Chan hasn't proved a thing to me. He - evidently - advoacted the 1st round drafting of a scat back that saw little action last season, and when he did, got flattened. Spiller, like Maybin, has to somehow justify their high pick.

Two #1's who can't break into the lineup - not so good.

trapezeus
06-30-2011, 03:36 PM
chan was playing with a pretty bare cupboard. and he put out a team that was about 100x more exciting offensively.

defensively, he seems to admit the personnel on the field and on the sidelines isn't good enough and he's adapting.

he seems to be quick to figure out what he's got. and that's about 100x better than jauron's method of slamming face first into a wall, taking two steps back and running at the wall again. gailey gets that there are other ways around the wall.

the record was ****. that was pretty much inevitable. if they remain a 5 win or less team, i'm ready to cut the bait with gailey. if they get into the 6-8 wins and hang tough with the better teams, i'll buy even more of his method of getting a team better.

better days
06-30-2011, 05:26 PM
chan was playing with a pretty bare cupboard. and he put out a team that was about 100x more exciting offensively.

defensively, he seems to admit the personnel on the field and on the sidelines isn't good enough and he's adapting.

he seems to be quick to figure out what he's got. and that's about 100x better than jauron's method of slamming face first into a wall, taking two steps back and running at the wall again. gailey gets that there are other ways around the wall.

the record was ****. that was pretty much inevitable. if they remain a 5 win or less team, i'm ready to cut the bait with gailey. if they get into the 6-8 wins and hang tough with the better teams, i'll buy even more of his method of getting a team better.

I heard John Clayton the other day say he thought the Bills were one of the worst teams in the league & he expected them to win no more than 3 games this year.

Joe Fo Sho
06-30-2011, 05:47 PM
I heard John Clayton the other day say he thought the Bills were one of the worst teams in the league & he expected them to win no more than 3 games this year.

Oh, well if John Clayton said it...

Mike13
06-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Chan didnt invent the spread or the concept of using a "slash" player.
So how is the most innovative coach in the NFL?

better days
06-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Oh, well if John Clayton said it...

I didn't say I agree with him. I think he will be proven wrong.

better days
06-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Chan didnt invent the spread or the concept of using a "slash" player.
So how is the most innovative coach in the NFL?

Kordell Stewarts nickname was "slash" because of the way Gailey used him in the NFL. Name me an NFL player that was "slash" before Stewart & his Head Coach.

trapezeus
07-02-2011, 12:40 AM
I think Ralph schtooped Clayton's mom back in the day. He has an unhealthy hatred for the bills.