X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

NFL rookies struggle to make ends meet while locked out

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The NFL lockout has prevented Marcell Dareus from cashing in on turning pro, so he mows his godfather's lawn in exchange for a place to stay.

And Aaron Williams does ranch work, throwing hay and fixing barbed-wire fences.

"Acres and acres of land; you're always moving," Williams said. "But it's better than sitting on your butt playing Xbox."

"You come out of college with plans of making big money, and everything goes on hold," said Dareus, the third overall pick by the Buffalo Bills. "It grinds you."

Dareus, a 320-pound defensive tackle from Alabama, said he earns his keep while living in Birmingham with his godfather.

"Everybody calls him 'Sergeant,' because he was a sergeant in the Army," Dareus said. "At 6 o'clock in the morning, we're up cutting grass. He ain't playing. He's crazy about keeping his yard cut. He has kind of a big yard. We cut it twice a week and trim his hedges. It's an all-day thing."

When asked if Sergeant provides a push mower or a rider, Dareus groaned.

"He's old school."

Dareus hardly is the only extraordinary athlete settling for an ordinary summer job. Castonzo, an offensive tackle drafted in the first round by the Indianapolis Colts, is living with his parents in Chicago and making deliveries for their restaurant, just like he did growing up.

He's a bit bigger now, though.

"When I show up at someone's door, a 6-7, 315-pound guy, they're like, 'Oooooookay. Put the food over here, please,'" Castonzo said with a laugh. "I make basically whatever they tip me. With my parents, I'm on a volunteer basis. I'm living like I'm still a college kid -- there's no money to spend."

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: NFL rookies struggle to make ends meet while locked out

Gee - aren't they college graduates who are the cream of the young crop?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy
      Gee - aren't they college graduates who are the cream of the young crop?
      First, we all know these guys don't earn their degree.

Second, why would they take an entry level job I'd they know an NFL contract is coming? And who would hire them knowing they will bolt as soon as the CBA is resolved?
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
        Will not tolerate vandalism.
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
        First, we all know these guys don't earn their degree.

Second, why would they take an entry level job I'd they know an NFL contract is coming? And who would hire them knowing they will bolt as soon as the CBA is resolved?
        Because at the entry level, turnover's ridiculously high and you get good help when you can. That, and future payments don't pay present bills. So they need to get the money to hold them over while they can.

Comment

• BoyILuvLoznStupidly
          • Sep 2009

Why can't they get an advance from their agent?

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

Well I bet the Ohio St and USC guys are living large ......
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BoyILuvLoznStupidly
              Why can't they get an advance from their agent?
              Most agents have multiple clients both in the NFL and other sports. Asking for an advance without knowing when you could pay it back is financial suicide for agents.

Trust me knowing and working with some agents now, many have had to drop out because they've over lent to clients.

Rich guys like Rosenhaus could probably afford it but for most of the crop, there is no way.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by stuckincincy
                Gee - I thought they were college graduates from name institutions who are the cream of the young crop? You would think employers would be beating down the doors thanks to the value-laden majors they selected...

; - }

Who is going to invest in these guys knowing full well that they aren't going to stick around at the job...

Everyone knows they will pick up and leave the moment the NFL opens for business.. not exactly the kind of employee you want to bring into a position

Comment

• k-oneputt
                  • Jun 2009

There job is to be working out and getting ready for the season.
                  Really how long does it take to mow a lawn twice a week.
                  Their day is coming.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                    There job is to be working out and getting ready for the season.
                    Really how long does it take to mow a lawn twice a week.
                    Their day is coming.
                    Dareus' godfather is old school. He uses scissors.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      Dareus' godfather is old school. He uses scissors.
                      Your right, I missed that.

Comment

• LarryBoy
                        The world needs a hero!
                        • Apr 2003

Wow - college grads trying to make ends meet anyway they can...working for a place to live and hoping they make it to their next paycheck...

...welcome to the real world.
                        Bills Rock!

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                          • Sep 2008

I'm wondering how the Players Association plans to stop the division among the ranks once the money starts running out. These rookies are the first to feel the pinch, but the longer this thing stretches out, the more players will be affected by it financially. The only ones that wont be hurting as much are the top money makers in the league. This is sure to cause problems, frustrating, and angering players to the point of turning on each other the longer this lockout lasts. I still don't see how this thing will possibly end before August. JMO
                          Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 07-01-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                            I'm wondering how the Players Association plans to stop the division among the ranks once the money starts running out. These rookies are the first to feel the pinch, but the longer this thing stretches out, the more players will be affected by it financially. The only ones that wont be hurting as much are the top money makers in the league. This is sure to cause problems, frustrating, and angering players to the point of turning on each other the longer this lockout lasts. I still don't see how this thing will possibly end before August. JMO
                            There is a pending lawsuit where the players are suing for damages.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              There is a pending lawsuit where the players are suing for damages.
                              If it is pending, they aren't exactly getting anything out of it are they? lol Other than to suggest that is an optional financial out, I don't see your point.

Comment

Working...
                              X