PDA

View Full Version : Would Stamkos make us a cup contender?

X-Era
07-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Make a trade for his rights and then sign him.... If he ends up a top 5 center in the league...

Other options I would like:

LeCavalier
Stastny
Spezza

And then give me what it might take for the following:

Eric Staal
Backstrom

OpIv37
07-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Stamkos would make us a cup contender but it's a pipe dream. He'd never fit under the cap now. Stahl and Backstrom are good, but I don't think we'd be able to trade for them.

I think what we have now is very close to what we will get. We are definitely better, but I am still concerned about center.

X-Era
07-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Stamkos would make us a cup contender but it's a pipe dream. He'd never fit under the cap now. Stahl and Backstrom are good, but I don't think we'd be able to trade for them.

I think what we have now is very close to what we will get. We are definitely better, but I am still concerned about center.Why can't we move Kotalik and Morissonn down and then trade a few players and a pick for the rights to Stamkos? Then using the new cap gained by the moves, sign him.

Yasgur's Farm
07-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Stamkos is a RFA... We could write an offer sheet, but Lightning can match.

BTW... I consider Stamkos THE TOP PRIZE far above Richards.

X-Era
07-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Stamkos is a RFA... We could write an offer sheet, but Lightning can match.

BTW... I consider Stamkos THE TOP PRIZE far above Richards.I get the RFA part. But thats what I'm saying. Tampa isn't paying him, trade them several players for his rights. And then sign him long term.

If we make a huge offer, we would have to cut player for the cap room, and then would have to give up like 4 1st round picks. Rather than do that, trade the Lightning something to get his rights so that we a) cut cap room for him and b) get the guy we need.

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2011, 09:31 AM
I get the RFA part. But thats what I'm saying. Tampa isn't paying him, trade them several players for his rights. And then sign him long term.

If we make a huge offer, we would have to cut player for the cap room, and then would have to give up like 4 1st round picks. Rather than do that, trade the Lightning something to get his rights so that we a) cut cap room for him and b) get the guy we need.

Just because it is conceivable, doesn't mean anything. It is highly unlikely. First, we would NEED to get rid of payroll to sign him, and a lot of it. Right now, according to the Buffalo News, we are slightly over the cap as it is. Getting rid of Morrison's and Kotalik's contract is a start, but we would need maybe another 5 or 6 million to sign him as well as some of our restricted free agents, probably even more.

Then you have to figure out who they would take in return. There are only two ways Tampa trades Stamkos. The first is if they get a guy who is pretty close in talent and age to him. That would be Tyler Myers, and we would probably have to add something to the trade for this to happen. Myers is good and could be great someday, but scorers like Stamkos are just as hard to come by and earn more money. There is no way we trade Myers, so that scenario is out. The second way we get him is by trading lesser talent AND future talent and/or draft picks. That puts guys like Roy, Miller, Vanek, etc in the mix as part of the deal and then you have to add guys like Ennis, Adam, Kassian and probably a draft pick as well.

It is just too much of a price to pay. Now, if Tampa actually signs Richards, then you might have a better chance because they will have difficulty getting him under the cap. But that would mean that any trade they accept will not add to their cap, which means Kassian or Adam or either and picks. Then Buffalo has to make trades or even more buyout moves or moves down to Rochester to get rid of cap. That's not to even mention the effect that might have in the locker room of getting guys and then trading others or sending them down to the minors. Some wouldn't mind it, some would hate it.

It would just be too difficult IMO.

Ebenezer
07-02-2011, 10:11 AM
First off, I don't think you can acquire the rights to a RFA - not sure. Why would a team trade the rights to an RFA without getting back what they would get if the player was to sign an offer sheet? Would you really trade 4 1st round picks to TB for the right to talk to Stamkos? Not in this lifetime.

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2011, 10:54 AM
First off, I don't think you can acquire the rights to a RFA - not sure. Why would a team trade the rights to an RFA without getting back what they would get if the player was to sign an offer sheet? Would you really trade 4 1st round picks to TB for the right to talk to Stamkos? Not in this lifetime.

It has been done. You make a possible bad situation more amicable. I remember when the Flyers traded some players and picks for the right to sign Chris Gratton all those years ago. Just because it isn't done often, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Didn't we trade restricted free agent Bernier to San Jose for Rivet? I don't remember exactly.

SkateZilla
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
i think we only got like 3-4 mill of cap left w/ some RFAs left to sign.

Darcy Signed Leino as soon as his agent said he would accept the offer, from that point regier knows its best to get the man you want then it would be to ignore him trying to pursue a greater player and lose, and while your pursuing the other player, the other signs else where aswell.

Leino looks good, and he's still young and pretty much unknown;

PS Richards' deal still waiting to be approved by the NHL. 60 Million for 9 years.

Ebenezer
07-02-2011, 06:15 PM
It has been done. You make a possible bad situation more amicable. I remember when the Flyers traded some players and picks for the right to sign Chris Gratton all those years ago. Just because it isn't done often, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Didn't we trade restricted free agent Bernier to San Jose for Rivet? I don't remember exactly.
Bernier was worth garbage. If you are TB are you trading him for less than 4 first round picks? If you are the Sabres are you giving up those picks just to negotiate with him?

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Bernier was worth garbage. If you are TB are you trading him for less than 4 first round picks? If you are the Sabres are you giving up those picks just to negotiate with him?

And I keep saying that a player that plays well now is better than a player that might not pan out. Plus, if the Sabres get him and only give up 4 first rounders, I think everyone here believes this Sabres team will be good, which means we wouldn't be drafting early in the first anyway. But just FYI, here is Tampa's draft history since taking Lecalalier first overall.

1998 1st round overall pick 1 Lecavalier
2000 1st round overall pick 8 Nikita Alexeev
2001 1st round overall pick 3 Alexander Svitov
2004 1st round overall pick 30 Andy Rogers
2005 1st round overall pick 30 Vladimir Mihalik
2006 1st round overall pick 15 Riku Helenius
2008 1st round overall pick 1 Steven Stamkos
2009 1st round overall pick 2 Victor Hedman
2010 1st round overall pick 6 Brett Connolly

seems like they only hit if they pick 1 or 2

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2011, 10:31 PM
and Bernier was only "worth garbage" in retrospect.

Ebenezer
07-02-2011, 10:45 PM
And I keep saying that a player that plays well now is better than a player that might not pan out. Plus, if the Sabres get him and only give up 4 first rounders, I think everyone here believes this Sabres team will be good, which means we wouldn't be drafting early in the first anyway. But just FYI, here is Tampa's draft history since taking Lecalalier first overall.

1998 1st round overall pick 1 Lecavalier
2000 1st round overall pick 8 Nikita Alexeev
2001 1st round overall pick 3 Alexander Svitov
2004 1st round overall pick 30 Andy Rogers
2005 1st round overall pick 30 Vladimir Mihalik
2006 1st round overall pick 15 Riku Helenius
2008 1st round overall pick 1 Steven Stamkos
2009 1st round overall pick 2 Victor Hedman
2010 1st round overall pick 6 Brett Connolly

seems like they only hit if they pick 1 or 2
I am all for trading draft picks, I have said that many times. They could trade an entire draft if the player is a great fit and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. I'd make an offersheet and be willing to gift TB the four choices as compensation...I don't want to trade those draft picks just for the right to negotiate - that's all I'm saying. If I am going to lose that much then I want that player signed, sealed and delivered for a price I know of beforehand.

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2011, 07:58 AM
I am all for trading draft picks, I have said that many times. They could trade an entire draft if the player is a great fit and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. I'd make an offersheet and be willing to gift TB the four choices as compensation...I don't want to trade those draft picks just for the right to negotiate - that's all I'm saying. If I am going to lose that much then I want that player signed, sealed and delivered for a price I know of beforehand.

I never said anything about trading for the "right to negotiate". They can talk to the guy any time they want. Make an offer, see what he wants, get the parameters, and then make Tampa an offer contingent on him signing.