• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Northern Stampede
    Canadian Son With A Heart Full Of Buffalo
    • Dec 2004

Opinions of Chan Gailey Year 1

Since news is slow, I thought I'd try and start a conversation.
    At first I was extremely unhappy with this hiring, I was all for the Bill Cowher thing, then I realized that wasn't happening. After digesting the season that was, and examining some of the off season moves being made, I am hopefull that this man MIGHT be able to turn this team around. Upon further investigation into his body of work, I started to realize that he has been productive everywhere he has been, as a HC and as a Coordinator. I was at the Jags game last year, and I can remember seeing him in one certain instant, just FULL of fire on the sideline. He was yelling and was expressing himself extremely passionately, lol. A very nice change from watching the corpse that was Dick Jauron, roam the sidelines, who showed NO emotion at all during good times and bad.... Mostly bad I add, lol. So I was just wondering what everyone else's assesment of Year one under the Chan felt like for them...? Like I said, I'm starting to Billieve in his methods, approach, and coaching, and think that he might be the guy to get us turned around!!
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Opinions of Chan Gailey Year 1

Bill Walsh in his prime couldn't have won more with that roster.

He walked into a bad situation and needs 2-3 years to straighten out the previous 10 years of bad management and coaching.

Not making excuses for the guy at all. By blind luck, he's probably the best HC we hired in years and the playcalling was significantly better. If given some actual talent, he could get this team moving. Ever talk to the guy ? He could sell the pope a double bed and make him believe he made the best deal. Players obviously play hard for him and respect his message.

His popularity with the players isn't because he's soft but due to actually having a plan and knowing how to use what talent he has.

If Ralph can finally stay out of the way, we may have found the right formula of building something right over flashy quick fixes that appease the fanbase for the short term but quickly flop.

Very pleased he's here.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Don't like how he handled the coordinator positions at all. Other than that, I can't be too critical considering the circumstances.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by YardRat
        Don't like how he handled the coordinator positions at all. Other than that, I can't be too critical considering the circumstances.
        Meh, Gailey himself was the o-coordinator last year. I think he did a good job there. At least he brought in the mustache this year. I think Dave Wannstedt will have a large hand in the Bills defense. Dunno about George Edwards.

Gailey makes a lot of sense to me when he speaks. He actually makes sense, which is a breath of fresh air. I get the same feeling with Nix. I like how these guys are in it for the long haul and aren't afraid to pull the trigger or get caught up in others' opinions. Now lets see if they can get it done and turn this team around. They have my full support as of today.

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

I like somethings he showed and others things I didn't like. I mean he turned an average D to a below average D. He did make some improvements on O in that there's hope it will be above average if he can find ways to better use Spiller and Evans in 2011/12 but there's still questions in my mind if Fitzpatrick just doesn't trust Evans as the last two seasons with Edwards/Fitzpatrick guys like TO and Stevie Johnson have made Lee Evans an after thought. Of course I've always likened Evans to Terry Glenn.

I stated in the season that perhaps the best thing we could have done was keep Fewell as our HC for a full season and named Gailey as assistant HC/Offensive coordinator. As the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 hasn't been a good one so far as think we still lack a quality NT (as like Kyle Williams work ethic but he's hardly a game breaking NT) and legitimate pass rushing prescense at OLB which are two of the more important cogs in a 3-4 and wonder if our secondary is good enough as we saw Byrd go from All Rookie next great thing to just another guy.

Comment

• Stewie
            Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
            • Aug 2002

Gailey is a straight shooter and a good coach. With all the prima donna *****es and recycled garbage out there, and the fact we're buffalo, we should be happy with that much.

I give him a thumbs up. Just one thing coach, please just one time, give cj spiller the ball 20 times. Just do it.
            Originally posted by Topdog
            Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
            Originally posted by mercyrule
            I love Weiner.
            Originally posted by mercyrule
            also cheese

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

He made some costly mistakes, like thinking he could rehab Trent Edwards' game, drafting CJ Spiller (that one is also on Nix), and miscalculating how difficult transitioning to a 3-4 defense would be. On the other hand, he showed an ability to design an offense that could be productive even with a number of personnel issues. He also showed an ability to adapt and change when things weren't going well. Lastly, he and Nix appear to have given the Bills some focus, direction, and discipline that was lacking under Jauron. Put it all together and I am reasonably happy with where the Bills are right now, but the have to get better on the field this season for me to stay happy. I want 7 wins minimum this season and a winning season in 2012, playoffs in 2013.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BillsWin
                man amongst boys
                • Oct 2008

Made significant strides in changing a decade long losing culture. Made the team bond and fight against huge odds. Made our offense a bit more exciting to watch and he won the trust of some of our young, rising stars.

My hat is off to Gailey. But it's time to move forward and continue to improve and progress.
                I am The Batman.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                  • Sep 2003

Nix & Gailey are the new Polian & Levy, only these two will finish the job.

PTR
                  10 Commandments of the D
                  1. Never stop Rocking.
                  2. Legalize all drugs.
                  3. Quit your day job.
                  4. All Religion should be taxed.
                  5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                  6. F**k her gently.
                  7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                  8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                  9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                  10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

When he finishes 4-12 or worse next year, does he get fired?

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by feldspar
                      Meh, Gailey himself was the o-coordinator last year. I think he did a good job there. At least he brought in the mustache this year. I think Dave Wannstedt will have a large hand in the Bills defense. Dunno about George Edwards.

Gailey makes a lot of sense to me when he speaks. He actually makes sense, which is a breath of fresh air. I get the same feeling with Nix. I like how these guys are in it for the long haul and aren't afraid to pull the trigger or get caught up in others' opinions. Now lets see if they can get it done and turn this team around. They have my full support as of today.
                      Don't like him handling the OC position himself, although I will admit he did an OK job. Don't like Wanny at all, and IMO it's just a 'keep a buddy employed until he hooks up with somebody else' move anyway.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

I am cautiously optimistic because he's willing to fix whats broken while Dick would stick with what isn't working due to loyalty.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

I am happy with the way Gailey coached last year. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Shannahan who many people wanted to come in as HC. After last season, the way he handled McNabb & Haynsworth, I'm happy he went to the Skins & didn't come to Buffalo. Knowing neither player is welcome back in Washington, teams will not give up much to get them & they both can still play.

I think Chan & Buddy have the Bills in the playoffs before the Redskins get there.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                            Don't like him handling the OC position himself, although I will admit he did an OK job. Don't like Wanny at all, and IMO it's just a 'keep a buddy employed until he hooks up with somebody else' move anyway.
                            The move to the Stache still makes little sense. Even if we run the multiple D look mixing in the 43 with the 34 base set, Wanny has zero experience in a 34 and while I know he can understand the basic concepts of the defense its the intricacies I worry about.

As for Gailey overall Id say slightly above average. Im far from sold on him as a permanent head coach and his track record dictates that with him tends to go south after year one. Look at his coaching track record and how long he has stayed at some places.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Bill Walsh in his prime couldn't have won more with that roster.
                              You do realize that Jouron won more games with the same roster.
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                              X