PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Chan Gailey Year 1

Northern Stampede
07-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Since news is slow, I thought I'd try and start a conversation.
At first I was extremely unhappy with this hiring, I was all for the Bill Cowher thing, then I realized that wasn't happening. After digesting the season that was, and examining some of the off season moves being made, I am hopefull that this man MIGHT be able to turn this team around. Upon further investigation into his body of work, I started to realize that he has been productive everywhere he has been, as a HC and as a Coordinator. I was at the Jags game last year, and I can remember seeing him in one certain instant, just FULL of fire on the sideline. He was yelling and was expressing himself extremely passionately, lol. A very nice change from watching the corpse that was Dick Jauron, roam the sidelines, who showed NO emotion at all during good times and bad.... Mostly bad I add, lol. So I was just wondering what everyone else's assesment of Year one under the Chan felt like for them...? Like I said, I'm starting to Billieve in his methods, approach, and coaching, and think that he might be the guy to get us turned around!!

Night Train
07-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Bill Walsh in his prime couldn't have won more with that roster.

He walked into a bad situation and needs 2-3 years to straighten out the previous 10 years of bad management and coaching.

Not making excuses for the guy at all. By blind luck, he's probably the best HC we hired in years and the playcalling was significantly better. If given some actual talent, he could get this team moving. Ever talk to the guy ? He could sell the pope a double bed and make him believe he made the best deal. Players obviously play hard for him and respect his message.

His popularity with the players isn't because he's soft but due to actually having a plan and knowing how to use what talent he has.

If Ralph can finally stay out of the way, we may have found the right formula of building something right over flashy quick fixes that appease the fanbase for the short term but quickly flop.

Very pleased he's here.

YardRat
07-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Don't like how he handled the coordinator positions at all. Other than that, I can't be too critical considering the circumstances.

feldspar
07-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't like how he handled the coordinator positions at all. Other than that, I can't be too critical considering the circumstances.

Meh, Gailey himself was the o-coordinator last year. I think he did a good job there. At least he brought in the mustache this year. I think Dave Wannstedt will have a large hand in the Bills defense. Dunno about George Edwards.

Gailey makes a lot of sense to me when he speaks. He actually makes sense, which is a breath of fresh air. I get the same feeling with Nix. I like how these guys are in it for the long haul and aren't afraid to pull the trigger or get caught up in others' opinions. Now lets see if they can get it done and turn this team around. They have my full support as of today.

The Jokeman
07-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I like somethings he showed and others things I didn't like. I mean he turned an average D to a below average D. He did make some improvements on O in that there's hope it will be above average if he can find ways to better use Spiller and Evans in 2011/12 but there's still questions in my mind if Fitzpatrick just doesn't trust Evans as the last two seasons with Edwards/Fitzpatrick guys like TO and Stevie Johnson have made Lee Evans an after thought. Of course I've always likened Evans to Terry Glenn.

I stated in the season that perhaps the best thing we could have done was keep Fewell as our HC for a full season and named Gailey as assistant HC/Offensive coordinator. As the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 hasn't been a good one so far as think we still lack a quality NT (as like Kyle Williams work ethic but he's hardly a game breaking NT) and legitimate pass rushing prescense at OLB which are two of the more important cogs in a 3-4 and wonder if our secondary is good enough as we saw Byrd go from All Rookie next great thing to just another guy.

Stewie
07-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Gailey is a straight shooter and a good coach. With all the prima donna *****es and recycled garbage out there, and the fact we're buffalo, we should be happy with that much.

I give him a thumbs up. Just one thing coach, please just one time, give cj spiller the ball 20 times. Just do it.

TigerJ
07-02-2011, 10:06 PM
He made some costly mistakes, like thinking he could rehab Trent Edwards' game, drafting CJ Spiller (that one is also on Nix), and miscalculating how difficult transitioning to a 3-4 defense would be. On the other hand, he showed an ability to design an offense that could be productive even with a number of personnel issues. He also showed an ability to adapt and change when things weren't going well. Lastly, he and Nix appear to have given the Bills some focus, direction, and discipline that was lacking under Jauron. Put it all together and I am reasonably happy with where the Bills are right now, but the have to get better on the field this season for me to stay happy. I want 7 wins minimum this season and a winning season in 2012, playoffs in 2013.

BillsWin
07-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Made significant strides in changing a decade long losing culture. Made the team bond and fight against huge odds. Made our offense a bit more exciting to watch and he won the trust of some of our young, rising stars.

My hat is off to Gailey. But it's time to move forward and continue to improve and progress.

PromoTheRobot
07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Nix & Gailey are the new Polian & Levy, only these two will finish the job.

PTR

TacklingDummy
07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
When he finishes 4-12 or worse next year, does he get fired?

YardRat
07-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Meh, Gailey himself was the o-coordinator last year. I think he did a good job there. At least he brought in the mustache this year. I think Dave Wannstedt will have a large hand in the Bills defense. Dunno about George Edwards.

Gailey makes a lot of sense to me when he speaks. He actually makes sense, which is a breath of fresh air. I get the same feeling with Nix. I like how these guys are in it for the long haul and aren't afraid to pull the trigger or get caught up in others' opinions. Now lets see if they can get it done and turn this team around. They have my full support as of today.

Don't like him handling the OC position himself, although I will admit he did an OK job. Don't like Wanny at all, and IMO it's just a 'keep a buddy employed until he hooks up with somebody else' move anyway.

justasportsfan
07-03-2011, 09:06 AM
I am cautiously optimistic because he's willing to fix whats broken while Dick would stick with what isn't working due to loyalty.

better days
07-03-2011, 09:32 AM
I am happy with the way Gailey coached last year. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Shannahan who many people wanted to come in as HC. After last season, the way he handled McNabb & Haynsworth, I'm happy he went to the Skins & didn't come to Buffalo. Knowing neither player is welcome back in Washington, teams will not give up much to get them & they both can still play.

I think Chan & Buddy have the Bills in the playoffs before the Redskins get there.

DraftBoy
07-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Don't like him handling the OC position himself, although I will admit he did an OK job. Don't like Wanny at all, and IMO it's just a 'keep a buddy employed until he hooks up with somebody else' move anyway.

The move to the Stache still makes little sense. Even if we run the multiple D look mixing in the 43 with the 34 base set, Wanny has zero experience in a 34 and while I know he can understand the basic concepts of the defense its the intricacies I worry about.

As for Gailey overall Id say slightly above average. Im far from sold on him as a permanent head coach and his track record dictates that with him tends to go south after year one. Look at his coaching track record and how long he has stayed at some places.

Mike
07-03-2011, 10:58 AM

You do realize that Jouron won more games with the same roster.

Mike
07-03-2011, 11:02 AM
his first year was ok. The offense showed something we have not seen in years, progress! The first 8 games were a disaster, and in the second half of the season the Bills were very competitive.

I'm glad that they did not win that meaningless 16 game as DJ would have. That alone helped us land Darius and significantly improve our draft.

2slowtogofast
07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
yes, good point

Northern Stampede
07-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Interesting opinions.... I know the D defenitley dropped off last year, but I was kinda figuring it would goin from the 4-3 to the 3-4 with basically no personell to support the switch. Although I do think it will improve in '11. Wannstedt, I'm still not sure about, I think it's going to be an improvement with him assisting things, I wasn't sold on Edwards last year, and the fact that Wanny has always run a 4-3 makes me wonder. I guess we'll see. All said, I still think we're headed in a positive direction..

JCBills
07-03-2011, 11:59 AM

False.

Something simple like the loss of Schobel has a major impact on that. Losing 10 sacks a season changes how teams will attack the D. Learning a new scheme adds into that.

The team looked more competitive this past season than they have in years.

cookie G
07-03-2011, 12:52 PM
He just needs to stay away from the defensive side of the ball. I have the feeling this whole 3-4 thing is more Buddy Nix than it is Gailey. When he was hired, I think he said something like he was "receptive" to the 3-4.

At the beginning of the offseason, he talked about switching back and forth from a 3-4 to a 4-3, depending on the personnel. A few days later, Buddy came out with his "we're a 3-4 team and that's how I'm going to draft" stuff.

I just have the feeling that Buddy is the one with the fetish.

Billz_fan
07-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Did not want them to hire Chan. I would still pick someone else but those I would rather have won't come here.

With that said he did ok. Better than Dick. However I think many of us here could do better than Dick :laughter:

IMO he has 2 seasons left to show something or I and Im sure others will call for his head. Did not like the Spiller pick however that may not be all his doing. It just sticks in me like a knife we have 2 high first round picks that have done jack squat.

justasportsfan
07-03-2011, 03:19 PM
4 years vs. 1 year. Lets see how Gailey is doing in his 2nd and 3rd year.

better days
07-03-2011, 05:37 PM
The move to the Stache still makes little sense. Even if we run the multiple D look mixing in the 43 with the 34 base set, Wanny has zero experience in a 34 and while I know he can understand the basic concepts of the defense its the intricacies I worry about.

As for Gailey overall Id say slightly above average. Im far from sold on him as a permanent head coach and his track record dictates that with him tends to go south after year one. Look at his coaching track record and how long he has stayed at some places.

OK lets look at Gaileys coaching track record & how long he has stayed at some places.

1984-1990 Defensive Assistant, Special teams coach Denver Broncos-3 Super Bowl appearances

1994-1997-1st 2 years WR coach last 2 OC.- Steelers won division all four years, 1 Super Bowl Appearance.

1998-1999 HC Dallas Cowboys. Taking over a team that did not play well in Switzers last year, the Cowboys won the NFC East his 1st year & made the playoffs both years he coached there. Jerry Jones said it was the biggest mistake he made as owner of the Cowboys when he fired Chan.

2000-2001 OC Dolphins

2002-2007 HC Georga Tech-played in a bowl game every year, winning 2.

2008-2009 OC Chiefs a bad team, but Gailey made Thigpen look pretty good. Fired in preseason 2009 by HC Todd Haley who wanted to run his own offense.

2010-???? HC Buffalo Bills.

I think he has a pretty good record myself & am happy to have him as HC of the Bills. Look at all other coaches, it is the rare coach that stays as long as Jeff Fisher did with the Titans.

DraftBoy
07-03-2011, 08:35 PM
OK lets look at Gaileys coaching track record & how long he has stayed at some places.

1984-1990 Defensive Assistant, Special teams coach Denver Broncos-3 Super Bowl appearances

1994-1997-1st 2 years WR coach last 2 OC.- Steelers won division all four years, 1 Super Bowl Appearance.

1998-1999 HC Dallas Cowboys. Taking over a team that did not play well in Switzers last year, the Cowboys won the NFC East his 1st year & made the playoffs both years he coached there. Jerry Jones said it was the biggest mistake he made as owner of the Cowboys when he fired Chan.

2000-2001 OC Dolphins

2002-2007 HC Georga Tech-played in a bowl game every year, winning 2.

2008-2009 OC Chiefs a bad team, but Gailey made Thigpen look pretty good. Fired in preseason 2009 by HC Todd Haley who wanted to run his own offense.

2010-???? HC Buffalo Bills.

I think he has a pretty good record myself & am happy to have him as HC of the Bills. Look at all other coaches, it is the rare coach that stays as long as Jeff Fisher did with the Titans.

So you give him credit for SB appearances even though he was only an assistant and bail him out when he appeared on bad teams?

Please don't even bring up GT and him being a good coach ever again. That was one of the worst collegiate coaching performances in recent memory. Getting to a bowl game is no great accomplishment especially when you have a guy named Calvin Johnson catching passes, despite your mind numbing game plan to not throw him the damn ball.

I think it looks like just plain old average personally, but Im also not going to fluff it up for him in an effort to convince myself he's some wonderful coach or the savior. I saw all I needed when he was right here in my town ruining a team full of talent.

better days
07-03-2011, 08:44 PM
So you give him credit for SB appearances even though he was only an assistant and bail him out when he appeared on bad teams?

Please don't even bring up GT and him being a good coach ever again. That was one of the worst collegiate coaching performances in recent memory. Getting to a bowl game is no great accomplishment especially when you have a guy named Calvin Johnson catching passes, despite your mind numbing game plan to not throw him the damn ball.

I think it looks like just plain old average personally, but Im also not going to fluff it up for him in an effort to convince myself he's some wonderful coach or the savior. I saw all I needed when he was right here in my town ruining a team full of talent.

His record speaks for itself. In my opinion it is pretty good record. Going to a bowl game every year in the NCAA is pretty impressive for a team like Ga. Tech that is competing with the GA Bulldogs & LOSING that battle for the best recruits in that State. You also think a washed up 32 year old WR can help the Bills at the cost of a 3rd rnd pick & $7-8 mill. in salary.

Mike
07-03-2011, 09:42 PM
False.

Something simple like the loss of Schobel has a major impact on that. Losing 10 sacks a season changes how teams will attack the D. Learning a new scheme adds into that.

The team looked more competitive this past season than they have in years.

I disagreed with the Majority on here that loosing Schobel would not make a difference.

However, the 2010 Bills got 27 Sacks as a teams vs the 2009 Bills which got 32, a Difference of Only 5! So the Bills only Lost 5 Sacks a Season Not 10. To add to that, the Bills had some additions like Spiller and the emergence of Stevie Johnson and Fits. In fact, the Bills 2010 Offense was much better than the 2009 Offense yet they managed to loose more games, a lot more.

Now I know that Many of you Homers out there want to anoint Chan as the next Great
Coach who takes us to the promise land. I can see that. One guy on here even compared him to Bill Walsh and Stated that not even
I eloquently responded by stating the Fact that Dick won more games with pretty much the same roster. Actually Dick's roster was not as talented overall.

Now in my humble opinion its going out way to far to compare Chan to Walsh who is one of the Greatest coaches of all time. And even though Chan is showing something fun on offense its way to early to Call him Great, and say that No One could have done better with our roster.

Extremebillsfan247
07-04-2011, 08:29 AM
When he finishes 4-12 or worse next year, does he get fired?In my opinion yes he should. He needs to be on the bubble this year. Either things improve, or he has to be shown the exit. Last year was acceptable because it was a trial and error season for the Bills. 4-12 or worse this season would be unacceptable. Does he have to get this team to the post season in year 2? no, but he has to at least show that this team is capable of turning the corner, and win. This team should have to win 5 or better for him to keep his job. A second season below the .500 mark puts him on the bubble for year 3. If by then, this team still can't get above that mark, it's time to move in a different direction.

better days
07-04-2011, 10:54 AM
In my opinion yes he should. He needs to be on the bubble this year. Either things improve, or he has to be shown the exit. Last year was acceptable because it was a trial and error season for the Bills. 4-12 or worse this season would be unacceptable. Does he have to get this team to the post season in year 2? no, but he has to at least show that this team is capable of turning the corner, and win. This team should have to win 5 or better for him to keep his job. A second season below the .500 mark puts him on the bubble for year 3. If by then, this team still can't get above that mark, it's time to move in a different direction.

I think it is a big mistake to keep changing Coaches. The teams that have the most success are teams that are stable. I don't care about the record this year. I do expect to see an exciting team that is fun to watch this year like last year was. If the Bills don't win in year 3, that is the time to ask if Chan should be fired in my opinion, but not this year.

Historian
07-05-2011, 08:21 AM
We won 4.

We could have upset the Ravens, Chiefs, Steelers, all which we took to OT.

I would say he pretty much exceeded my expectations.

He noted a deficiency on defense, and addressed it on his staff, and in the draft.

I'll give him a pass on Trent. He had to see him in live game action to honestly figure out if he was rehabilitatable or not.

With an improved pass rush, we should get more turnovers. Then the offense won't have to score 50 points to get a win, lol.

I would say we're pointed in the right direction....but it still may take another year or two to break the losing culture around here.

And then we have to hope either the Jets or Pats end up in the dumper, or we may never see the playoffs again.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I loved what Chan did offensively. He showed creativity and while inconsistent, he showed me enough that I think this offense could be good. Defense was clearly his biggest weakness, he looked lost out there in terms of game plan and execution. Bringing in Wannstedt is going to huge and is paramount to his success. George may be the DC but Wannstedt, not Edwards will be the one Gailey sides with. Im extremely confident Wanny will right the ship defensively.

Philagape
07-05-2011, 09:42 AM
At least Chan lets the QB call audibles, that's a step in the right direction.
Chan's team would beat any of Dick's teams. He is clearly an upgrade.

Extremebillsfan247
07-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I think it is a big mistake to keep changing Coaches. The teams that have the most success are teams that are stable. I don't care about the record this year. I do expect to see an exciting team that is fun to watch this year like last year was. If the Bills don't win in year 3, that is the time to ask if Chan should be fired in my opinion, but not this year.Teams with the most success don't go from bad to worse. Improvement is paramount for any Head Coach. Failure to improve the Team's status is not an option. After 4 seasons of Jauron ball, I don't think it could be more evident. I like Gailey, but if he fails to do the job he was hired for, there will come a time for him to go elsewhere. I don't know of anyone, even the most die hard fans among us who want to be sitting here 3 years from now still waiting for this team to finally have a winning season. JMO

paladin warrior
07-06-2011, 07:34 PM
I wish Chin Galley stay other 3 more yrs. I hope Ghan Galley getting better and learn more talents our team future

justasportsfan
07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I wish Chin Galley stay other 3 more yrs. I hope Ghan Galley getting better and learn more talents our team future
couldn't have said it any better.

trapezeus
07-07-2011, 09:13 AM
pros:

gailey makes decisions quickly.
1. pull trent edwards
2. go to a hybrid defense

gailey is willing to admit mistakes.
1. see above
2. george edwards needs help and got wanny

gailey had a competent offense considering his weapons. He had a crappy offensive line, fitz, an unknown in stevie johnson, a running back who didn't want to be here, a running back that was aging, a rookie RB who had a lot of knocks on size and ability to run up the middle, and he had us in a lot of games.

we got blown out as well, but i think we all know that was a result of really not having much talent at all.

At least now we have a good idea of where talent upgrades are needed on offense. we know the WR corp is decent, we know the QB position is ok and upgradable next year, we know that the RB game needs some help with jackson getting older and spiller being disappointing. we know the line is close to becoming something and that a RT is needed.

on defense we are stocked the fridge with some new items and we'll see what fits.

I get that he lost more games that jauron, but he kept up with some better teams. and the team did find a groove. Jauron's tenure was simply playing teams that were as bad as us close and getting destroyed by better teams. I'd rather go 4-12 and know that my team has a chance to win every week, than go 7-9 and pretty much know which games you will win and that you have zero chance at the playoffs.

That being said, i don't really have cons on gailey, but i reserve the right to hate the guy if he can't build on last year. Going through with a 5-6 win season after 2 drafts isn't going to be good enough. i know the schedule is tough and losing is more than likely, but ideally he has enough support with new talent and new coaches to be getting us on the playoff cusp.

if he can't it means the rebuild is going to take a while longer. and sadly, it means he might get canned in year 3, which means we are going to go back to a 3 year plan for rebuilding. Not what i want. sO i'd rather be a gailey homer and not think about another rebuild.

jamze132
07-07-2011, 09:25 AM
He made some costly mistakes, like thinking he could rehab Trent Edwards' game, drafting CJ Spiller (that one is also on Nix), and miscalculating how difficult transitioning to a 3-4 defense would be. On the other hand, he showed an ability to design an offense that could be productive even with a number of personnel issues. He also showed an ability to adapt and change when things weren't going well. Lastly, he and Nix appear to have given the Bills some focus, direction, and discipline that was lacking under Jauron. Put it all together and I am reasonably happy with where the Bills are right now, but the have to get better on the field this season for me to stay happy. I want 7 wins minimum this season and a winning season in 2012, playoffs in 2013.
Spiller wasn't a bad pick. He was hands down the BPA at the time. I still feel Spiller will play a significant role on this offense once the catches up to the speed of the game. I think we'll see improvement this year and a breakout next.

better days
07-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Teams with the most success don't go from bad to worse. Improvement is paramount for any Head Coach. Failure to improve the Team's status is not an option. After 4 seasons of Jauron ball, I don't think it could be more evident. I like Gailey, but if he fails to do the job he was hired for, there will come a time for him to go elsewhere. I don't know of anyone, even the most die hard fans among us who want to be sitting here 3 years from now still waiting for this team to finally have a winning season. JMO

I agree, if Gailey fails to do the job he was hired for, he should be fired. I would give him at least 3 years to do that job myself. This team was not a player or two away from being good. It will take some time to get the type of players Buddy & Chan want & Buddy said that when he was hired.

EDS
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
The Bills were awful in Jauron's last season, so in that respect Gailey's first season, despite fewer wins, was an improvement.

That being said, at the end of the day the Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL that got surprisingly little production from its draft class and free agent additions. This forced the front office to scramble for warm bodies, some of which actually were an improvement.

I remain concerned about whether the team has the right personnel to run a 3-4 - as others have mentioned they still don't have a proven run stuffing nose tackle and consistent pass rushing threat.

On offense, I worry the improvements are hollow. There is a reason Gailey was canned in KC and I remained concerned about whether his pass-happy offense can yield needed wins when the season is on the line, versus merely some modest passing yardage (remember, the 2010 offense was far worse then the 2008 offense, which had a real dirth of talent). In some ways, you have to question why you would emphasize the pass on a team with Ryan Fitzpatrick/Trent Edwards at QB and CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch at RB. Maybe just the reality of the offensive line as guys like Levitre, Bell and Hangartner are better pass blockers than run blockers. I personnaly would have made a much bigger investment via the draft in offensive line talent over the past two seasons.

justasportsfan
07-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Jauron brought in players that supposedly fit a system that sucked to begin with. He went further by babying those players making them soft. Making players play not to lose instead of teaching them to be aggressive is not exactly a recipe for success. He set us years back.

Gailey is his first year tried to sort out what he inherited and those that he inherited struggled to learn a new system especially the D. Like POZ said, what he learned from Dick and the 3-4 in night and day. Gailey pretty much had to experiment to see what he had to work with.

I am not surprised to see last years rookies struggle when the vets themselves struggled to learn a new system. It also didn't help that we had the hardest schedule and are in a tough division while trying to learn how to play in the nfl.

jcdavey
07-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Made significant strides in changing a decade long losing culture. Made the team bond and fight against huge odds. Made our offense a bit more exciting to watch and he won the trust of some of our young, rising stars.

My hat is off to Gailey. But it's time to move forward and continue to improve and progress.
what?

your 2010 record was the worst since 2001 (and your 2nd worst record since 1986)

was that a sarcastic statement?

Historian
07-08-2011, 08:11 AM
what?

your 2010 record was the worst since 2001 (and your 2nd worst record since 1986)

was that a sarcastic statement?

I agree with the statement. They played hard every week, and had their best games against the league's best teams (minus NE)

He got rid of a couple malcontents, and stressed fundamentals with players who were marginal talent at best.

Unfortunately for the fans, the job is only begun.

This year, I want to see marked improvement in the running game (Spiller) and pass rush/takeaways.

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Without reading through this whole thread:

I wasn't impressed with the initial hiring of Chan Gailey. Through one year though, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Unlike previous coaches, he is willing to make a change when necessary, even if it means admitting a mistake (Trent and Cornell Green being the most obvious examples).

He got more offensive production out of pretty much the same guys that Jauron had.

The D was a cluster****, but let's face it- he inherited a crappy D and was trying to change the system from a 4-3 to a 3-4 without the proper personnel. So, for now, I'll give him a pass on that.

After a year, I'm more positive than I was on Gailey after the initial hiring, and I have a lot more confidence in Gailey than I do in Nix. I'm not ready to declare him the long-term answer or Coach of the Year, but I do see some key differences that make him better than the last 2 or 3 morons we had as HC's.

EDS
07-08-2011, 08:30 AM

I wasn't impressed with the initial hiring of Chan Gailey. Through one year though, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Unlike previous coaches, he is willing to make a change when necessary, even if it means admitting a mistake (Trent and Cornell Green being the most obvious examples).

He got more offensive production out of pretty much the same guys that Jauron had.

The D was a cluster****, but let's face it- he inherited a crappy D and was trying to change the system from a 4-3 to a 3-4 without the proper personnel. So, for now, I'll give him a pass on that.

After a year, I'm more positive than I was on Gailey after the initial hiring, and I have a lot more confidence in Gailey than I do in Nix. I'm not ready to declare him the long-term answer or Coach of the Year, but I do see some key differences that make him better than the last 2 or 3 morons we had as HC's.

Lucky for Gailey the bar has been set so low in B-lo.

better days
07-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Well, if Chan proves to be a good coach, it was a good decision by Nix to hire him. I think it is too early to judge either of them yet, but I have high hopes for both.

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Well, if Chan proves to be a good coach, it was a good decision by Nix to hire him. I think it is too early to judge either of them yet, but I have high hopes for both.

The reasons I don't have confidence in Nix:

1. He wasn't able to attract a big-name coach (although given my previous comments about Gailey, I'm considering letting him off the hook for this one).
2. The Lynch/Spiller situation was handled poorly.
3. We were unable to upgrade a single position on D during FA last year. Given that we had a terrible D and were moving to a new system, this is inexcusable.

better days
07-08-2011, 10:07 AM

1. He wasn't able to attract a big-name coach (although given my previous comments about Gailey, I'm considering letting him off the hook for this one).
3. We were unable to upgrade a single position on D during FA last year. Given that we had a terrible D and were moving to a new system, this is inexcusable.

1. In retrospect, Gailey looks like a better hire than Shannahan, the only name coach available last year.

2. I agree.

3. They did sign a couple guys that helped. At least they did not waste money on players like Dockery.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 10:15 AM

1. He wasn't able to attract a big-name coach (although given my previous comments about Gailey, I'm considering letting him off the hook for this one). MArv, Bellichick weren't big named coaches before they ended up with bills Pats respectively. He could have had Billick who would be a big named coached but he passed.

Lynch was = Trent. Spiller was just too good of a talent to pass up. It made Lynch expendable and it's not like Lynch was a world beater.3. We were unable to upgrade a single position on D during FA last year. Given that we had a terrible D and were moving to a new system, this is inexcusable.you can't fill all the holes in one season. He and Gailey had to also assess what they had before going shopping or drafting.I don't have a problem with that

While I am not sold on Nix just yet, I like what he's done so far .

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 10:35 AM
you can't fill all the holes in one season. He and Gailey had to also assess what they had before going shopping or drafting.I don't have a problem with that .

I'm not mad at him for not filling ALL the holes. I'm mad at him for not filling ANY holes.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm not mad at him for not filling ALL the holes. I'm mad at him for not filling ANY holes.

So I take it you don't like his 2nd draft?

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
So I take it you don't like his 2nd draft?

Huh? I'm not talking about this year's draft. I'm talking about last year's free agent signings.

better days
07-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Huh? I'm not talking about this year's draft. I'm talking about last year's free agent signings.

Well, Nix has said from the day he was hired the Bills will build through the draft & not spend big money on free agents. Aside from that, very few quality defensive free agents were available last year, not that many offensive ones either.

DraftBoy
07-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Im more sold on Nix than Gailey, but I admit I have a bias against Gailey.

DesertFox24
07-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I am very happy with Nix and the front office and what they are trying to do.

I like what we are doing with Gailey, but to think we have to be a bubble team for him to keep his job is a little far fetched. We were 4-12 and yes we are very young team, but this lockout has really hurt the development of our second and third year players.

Gailey will keep his job regardless of this year I would imagine, but 2012 he needs to be minimum of 8-8 to even be considered for a 4th year in my opinion.

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, Nix has said from the day he was hired the Bills will build through the draft & not spend big money on free agents. Aside from that, very few quality defensive free agents were available last year, not that many offensive ones either.

you know, every year I hear the "no one was available" excuse, but every year our opponents manage to upgrade or at least replace what they lost through FA.

And building through the draft is a great way to ensure a perpetual rebuilding cycle. At some point, you have to supplement with FA's.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Huh? I'm not talking about this year's draft. I'm talking about last year's free agent signings.I know you were talking about last years draft but you're judging him after he's had 2 drafts as well.

If you don't have confidence in him because he didn't plug holes in the first draft he's plugged holes in this years draft. You can't see the holes clearly in your first year until you've had time to grade the players you just inherited.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
And building through the draft is a great way to ensure a perpetual rebuilding cycle. At some point, you have to supplement with FA's.
you build your CORE via the draft and then supplement later.

better days
07-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Exactly, & it helps to keep that core in place by resigning them rather than waste money on a player their previous team did not want to overpay.

Whitner is a player like that. Let some other team over pay him.

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 02:38 PM
I know you were talking about last years draft but you're judging him after he's had 2 drafts as well.

If you don't have confidence in him because he didn't plug holes in the first draft he's plugged holes in this years draft. You can't see the holes clearly in your first year until you've had time to grade the players you just inherited.

Sorry but these guys play on TV every week. Nix had to have at least a decent idea of what he had.

On top of that, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he was trying to cram a bunch of 4-3 guys into a 3-4.

Basically, what you are saying is that the first year after a new coach/GM is a throw-away year because they don't know what they have. I don't buy that. Plenty of teams have improved in their first year under a new regime.

Also, I forgot to mention the Kelsay re-signing. That was inexcusable.

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 02:39 PM

building a core through the draft takes three years, and that's only if there are no big misses. Otherwise it takes longer. That's just a cop out to avoid spending money on FA's and deflect criticism for a lack of success in FA.

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 02:44 PM
and BTW, I'm not talking about going out and spending $100 million on Albert Haynesworth. There has to be a happy medium between Haynesworth and Cornell Green or Reggie Torbor.

Rebuilding means improving slowly but steadily. We got better at ZERO positions via FA last year. ZERO. "Rebuilding" with the same shoddy materials is going to lead to the same results: epic collapse.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Sorry but these guys play on TV every week. Nix had to have at least a decent idea of what he had. So do draft picks. If it's all based on tape have you seen Maybins college tape? Impressive.If it's based on tape then drafting wouldn't be a crapshoot

On top of that, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he was trying to cram a bunch of 4-3 guys into a 3-4. Of course he was. He had no choice. What was he to do , get rid of all the players he thought wouldn't fit the 4-3 instead of seeing who could make the transition? Kyle would be the first one you'd get rid of.

Basically, what you are saying is that the first year after a new coach/GM is a throw-away year because they don't know what they have. I don't buy that. Plenty of teams have improved in their first year under a new regime.
not a lot of teams inherited misfits coached by Jauron. You yourself said it over and over that the bills have sucked drafting the last decade. Nix can't undo that in one season.

Also, I forgot to mention the Kelsay re-signing. That was inexcusable.we shall see. Kelsay picked up his game towards the end of the season

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
building a core through the draft takes three years, and that's only if there are no big misses. Otherwise it takes longer. That's just a cop out to avoid spending money on FA's and deflect criticism for a lack of success in FA.

Interesting that you agree with Nix. He said that too.THe Colts', Pitts',Pats' core were built via the draft.

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
So do draft picks. If it's all based on tape have you seen Maybins college tape? Impressive.If it's based on tape then drafting wouldn't be a crapshoot

Really? I don't even know where to start with all the things wrong with this statement.

First, college is NOT the NFL. Plenty of great college players fail in the NFL because the level of play is several notches higher. It's an absurd comparison.

Second, Maybin only had one good year in college. So, even if college tape was an adequate indicator of NFL success, the sample size for Maybin was too small to be a good indicator.

when you say stuff like this, it can only be one of two things: either you don't think through what you say before you say it, or you're just trying to get me going to extend the argument.

OpIv37
07-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Interesting that you agree with Nix. He said that too.THe Colts', Pitts',Pats' core were built via the draft.

so what?

That doesn't mean he can't supplement via FA while drafting the core. The two aren't mutually exclusive. But as usual, you are oversimplifying the issue and making it black and white, when the reality is that there is a huge gray area.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Really? I don't even know where to start with all the things wrong with this statement.

First, college is NOT the NFL. Plenty of great college players fail in the NFL because the level of play is several notches higher. It's an absurd comparison.

Second, Maybin only had one good year in college. So, even if college tape was an adequate indicator of NFL success, the sample size for Maybin was too small to be a good indicator.

when you say stuff like this, it can only be one of two things: either you don't think through what you say before you say it, or you're just trying to get me going to extend the argument.

HUh? Watching tape on players was your logic not mine. Even if players play well for other teams, it doesn't mean they can play well for other coaches. Watching tape is just one way of knowing whether they can play , seeing them play first hand is another. Trent was a great example. He had a good camp, he sucked on gameday.

So once again, should we have gotten rid of Kyle? I see you didn't address that. Thats because he proves you wrong. It isn't just about tape.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
so what?

That doesn't mean he can't supplement via FA while drafting the core. The two aren't mutually exclusive. But as usual, you are oversimplifying the issue and making it black and white, when the reality is that there is a huge gray area.

Point is, he's building the core just like the successful teams.

who says he didn't supplement? He brought in Davis , Edwards and others. Granted they weren't probowlers but he did supplement. So once again, you are wrong.

EDS
07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
HUh? Watching tape on players was your logic not mine. Even if players play well for other teams, it doesn't mean they can play well for other coaches. Watching tape is just one way of knowing whether they can play , seeing them play first hand is another. Trent was a great example. He had a good camp, he sucked on gameday.

So once again, should we have gotten rid of Kyle? I see you didn't address that. Thats because he proves you wrong. It isn't just about tape.

Nix worked for the Bills for the entire season before taking over as GM, so he should have had a considerable leg up on knowing the personnel as opposed to someone coming from outside the organization.

I also would point out that watching players perform at the NFL level is a lot different then projecting college players performance to the NFL. It doesn't take a genius to know Cornell Green stunk. Obviously guys like Torbor and Andra Davis are temporary bandaids, so Nix was probably just using those guys to get through the season. If guys like Davis and Torbor continue to play a prominent role this season you need to question why upgrades have not been made - those guys are aging veterans who will not improve.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Nix worked for the Bills for the entire season before taking over as GM, so he should have had a considerable leg up on knowing the personnel as opposed to someone coming from outside the organization.

I also would point out that watching players perform at the NFL level is a lot different then projecting college players performance to the NFL. It doesn't take a genius to know Cornell Green stunk. Obviously guys like Torbor and Andra Davis are temporary bandaids, so Nix was probably just using those guys to get through the season. If guys like Davis and Torbor continue to play a prominent role this season you need to question why upgrades have not been made - those guys are aging veterans who will not improve.

I agree but Nix had to give Gailey the chance to see the players play first hand after all he is the head coach. Nix is not Tom Donahoe who grabbed who he wanted and told the coaches to do something with it. Nix pretty much said this is what we inherited and lets fix this together. These are the guys available in FA who play the system you want installed .

Davis and Edwards were prety good hires at the time. It's just too bad they got injured. Same goes with Merriman. He's a supplement that we all hope pans out but nothing is guaranteed. Turns out Davis played with a torn labrum the whole time. No one said they were saviors when we hired them but most of the saviors are usually in the core of the team built from the draft anyways.

madness
07-08-2011, 04:02 PM
This thread is proof that football is right around the corner!

Justa:rock:Op

Op:rock:Justa

Repeat