PDA

View Full Version : RB White will have a role

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
“Just watching him on film I thought he had a very natural feel as a runner,” Modkins told Buffalobills.com. “He did things instinctively. When you’re a runner there are some things that you can’t teach and Johnny did those things. When I found out that he hadn’t played running back his entire college career I was even more impressed with him.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/RB-White-will-have-a-role/c806b219-70cd-4225-8969-dc8c23137153

elltrain22
07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
His role will be #3 rb, which gets him touches in preseason, and then the regular season he'll have like 5 carries the whole year, and we'll all forget about him till this time next year.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 10:32 AM
His role will be #3 rb, which gets him touches in preseason, and then the regular season he'll have like 5 carries the whole year, and we'll all forget about him till this time next year.
thats a good thing. That would mean Spiller and Fred are doing well enough that we didn't need White offensively.

Saratoga Slim
07-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I hope that we don't hear much about him this year except on ST, as we won't unless Freddie or Spiller is either hurt or not performing well.

But, would be great if he can serve as a developmental find, as Freddie has got to be nearing the last year or two of productivity as a lead back.

DraftBoy
07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
#3 or #4 RB who contributes mostly as a ST this year. I still think they will look to bring in 1-2 more backs through FA or UDFA's to try and find a bigger back for short yardage options.

FlyingDutchman
07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Easy Justa, no man crushes. Youre obviously slobbering

k-oneputt
07-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I still think they will look to bring in 1-2 more backs through FA or UDFA's to try and find a bigger back for short yardage options.

No. They might bring in some tc backs but this is what we have for the season. Jax, Spiller, White, and Mac. will be the opening day backs barring injury.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Easy Justa, no man crushes. Youre obviously slobbering
can't help it. These guys are HOF material

trapezeus
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
white's film just looks like he's an every down, thurman type back. he is everywhere on the field, he runs into no holes and comes out still running. he doesn't seem like the fastest guy out there, but he looks like he could deal with a lot of punishment through a season and still keep going.

i do hope we see a lot of him. i feel like spiller is going to just be a high paid decoy and never transform into a lead back. which is totally fine if all the other pieces in the puzzle work.

scartown
07-08-2011, 04:50 PM
He will contribute in STs right away and will get a shot at short yardage situations. I see the ST being in top 3rd in the league again this season.

Buffalo Thriller
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Freds not getting any younger. Maybe Whites the next guy in line for the 1-2 punch

ServoBillieves
07-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Lionel Gates? Xavier Omon? Shaud Williams?! Dwayne Wright?!?!? YONEL JOURDAIN?!?!?!

I'll hold my breath 'til he hits the field, too.

Mr. Pink
07-08-2011, 09:01 PM
White is more likely not to even make the team than have any kind of real meaningful role with this team.

Unless bench warmer is a meaningful role in your opinion.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I Know this might be a lofty comparison but his frame and running style is very physical and similar to trent richardson. i think in 2 years he will be the part of a 1-2 punch.... plus rbs get hurt and you need at least 2 probably 3 these days...

Extremebillsfan247
07-09-2011, 12:42 PM
#3 or #4 RB who contributes mostly as a ST this year. I still think they will look to bring in 1-2 more backs through FA or UDFA's to try and find a bigger back for short yardage options.Yeah, he will spend the majority of his time here on special teams. As far as bringing someone else in, I don't see that happening unless he fails to make the team. We have 4 RB's on the roster already in Jackson, Spiller, Ganther, and now White. JMO

DraftBoy
07-09-2011, 12:56 PM
No. They might bring in some tc backs but this is what we have for the season. Jax, Spiller, White, and Mac. will be the opening day backs barring injury.

You know we carry more backs than that, right?

DraftBoy
07-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah, he will spend the majority of his time here on special teams. As far as bringing someone else in, I don't see that happening unless he fails to make the team. We have 4 RB's on the roster already in Jackson, Spiller, Ganther, and now White. JMO

Ganther is easily replaceable.

DraftBoy
07-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I Know this might be a lofty comparison but his frame and running style is very physical and similar to trent richardson. i think in 2 years he will be the part of a 1-2 punch.... plus rbs get hurt and you need at least 2 probably 3 these days...

White is 5'9, 209...Richardson is 5'11, 224

White is nowhere near the bruising runner Richardson is.

Extremebillsfan247
07-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Ganther is easily replaceable.That is true. But it doesn't mean he will be. It's all a matter of whether the coaching staff feels they can still get some use out of him or not. Because of the shortened amount of time this team is going to be allotted for signing free agents, I don't see them replacing anyone, but rather, padding the roster they already have in an effort to curb the chaos a little that will unfold once the lockout is over. JMO

Captain gameboy
07-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Pro Bowl.

DraftBoy
07-09-2011, 01:56 PM
That is true. But it doesn't mean he will be. It's all a matter of whether the coaching staff feels they can still get some use out of him or not. Because of the shortened amount of time this team is going to be allotted for signing free agents, I don't see them replacing anyone, but rather, padding the roster they already have in an effort to curb the chaos a little that will unfold once the lockout is over. JMO

Im not saying he will or won't be. Im simply saying I fully expect to see the FO bring in 1-2 bigger backs (5'11-6'1 in the 210-220 lbs range) who really excel at moving the pile and picking up yards of the 2-3 yard variety when the D has 7-8 in the box. If you look at our current stable;

FJax-Tough runner, but not somebody whose going to run over a LB
Spiller-Speed and finesse are his game, not running through a crowded box
Ganther-We don't know yet.
White-We dont know yet but he was not this kind of play at UNC.

Extremebillsfan247
07-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Im not saying he will or won't be. Im simply saying I fully expect to see the FO bring in 1-2 bigger backs (5'11-6'1 in the 210-220 lbs range) who really excel at moving the pile and picking up yards of the 2-3 yard variety when the D has 7-8 in the box. If you look at our current stable;

FJax-Tough runner, but not somebody whose going to run over a LB
Spiller-Speed and finesse are his game, not running through a crowded box
Ganther-We don't know yet.
White-We dont know yet but he was not this kind of play at UNC. I'm thinking the Bills will more than likely go in the direction of filling the spots with most need first, then if there is still time and money left, they may add to other positions ie running back. But you can expect a lot of looks for Oline, LB, and more dbs probably before RB is even considered. JMO

DraftBoy
07-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm thinking the Bills will more than likely go in the direction of filling the spots with most need first, then if there is still time and money left, they may add to other positions ie running back. But you can expect a lot of looks for Oline, LB, and more dbs probably before RB is even considered. JMO

You dont think being able to convert 3rd and short, or goal line situations could be a potential need?

BuffaloBlitz83
07-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Trade Freddy

Extremebillsfan247
07-09-2011, 02:37 PM
You dont think being able to convert 3rd and short, or goal line situations could be a potential need?Getting an adequate RT might do more to help that situation than getting another running back who will have to fight for a spot on the roster. JMO

DraftBoy
07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Getting an adequate RT might do more to help that situation than getting another running back who will have to fight for a spot on the roster. JMO

I come from the school of having to earn you spot, not just being given it. Competition is always a good thing.

I agree a new RT and LT would do wonders for our running game.

k-oneputt
07-09-2011, 05:32 PM
You know we carry more backs than that, right?

No we don't.

The Jokeman
07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Freds not getting any younger. Maybe Whites the next guy in line for the 1-2 punch
White's role will to be replace Spiller in two years and than be replaced himself in five years. Haven't you noticed that Buffalo Bills RB of late have a shelf life of about three years of starting and than cast aside? So don't be shocked if Spiller leads the team in rushing yards this season and we trade/cut dismiss Fred Jackson after this year.