PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated Bills of all time

T-Long
07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I was on Sirius this morning and chimmed in on their topic of the most underrated players in NFL history. I, of course, had a few Bills that I mentioned...they were:

Darryl Talley
Frank Reich
Kenneth Davis
Don Beebe

I got to thinking, who else could we add to that list? Post your vote for the most underappreciated Bill of all time.

don137
07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Tasker, Will Wolford and Talley.
Tasker was actually a very good receiver in addition to be the best ST player ever to play. He did not play much but when he did he really impressed me at WR with some outstanding receptions. Doubt he will ever make HOF despite his domination.
Wolford protected Kelly's blindside and did a great job. The drop off to Fina when Wolford left was noticeable.
Talley- the guy always played with a high motor and was a difference maker. Due to Biscuit and Bruce he never got the accolades he deserved.

T-Long
07-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Tasker, Will Wolford and Talley.
Tasker was actually a very good receiver in addition to be the best ST player ever to play. He did not play much but when he did he really impressed me at WR with some outstanding receptions. Doubt he will ever make HOF despite his domination.
Wolford protected Kelly's blindside and did a great job. The drop off to Fina when Wolford left was noticeable.
Talley- the guy always played with a high motor and was a difference maker. Due to Biscuit and Bruce he never got the accolades he deserved.
I don't think we can add Tasker since he is considered the best special teams player of all time and has been discussed for the HOF. So, I don't think we can add him considering he wasn't underrated. Wolford and Talley for sure...

mayotm
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Talley. Is not even close in my opinion. He was the heart and soul of the defense. Nationaly everybody talked about Bruce and Biscuit. Talley rarely got the recognition he deserved.

justasportsfan
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Kent Hull. While Kelly takes all the glory, Hull actually dissected defenses at the LOS more than what was publicly known

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Eugene Marve was a very good player on some very bad teams

Jerry Butler might have been the most talented receiver in team history.

Jim Braxton was a major reason for OJs success.

k-oneputt
07-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Bruce and Biscuit were more talented but Talley was the leader and fire on that defense. He was always in Bruce's ear.
We need another Talley on our defense. Maybe rookie lb Sheppard.

cookie G
07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't see Talley as underrated, just because I think he's now getting the respect he deserves. He was probably more underrated when he played, than he is now.

Wolford is a good choice. From an earlier era, Joe Devlin was underrated. In the era when Gastineau was setting sack records, he said he voted for Devlin to the PB every year. Gastineau rarely got around him.

From that same era, Ben Williams was underrated. It wasn't just the Bermuda Triangle that made them the best in the league. He was by far their best pass rusher.

Kenneth Davis is definitely a good choice. He could have flourished on a bunch of other teams in the league.

Beebe....I don't get, never did. If anything, I've thought of him as one of the more overrated players. I know, I know, he ran down Leon Lett. OK.

He was also was of the fastest players in the league. He ran like a 4.2 40, yet he hovered around 400-500 yards and had more than 5 TD's once in his career only once.

Put Beebe's speed in Andre Reed and Jerry Rice might have been the 2nd best receiver of all time.

better days
07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Eugene Marve was a very good player on some very bad teams

Jerry Butler might have been the most talented receiver in team history.

Braxton not only was a great blocker but on the few occasions he got the ball he ran with the ball very well. I would love to see another player like him on this Bills team.

mikemac2001
07-08-2011, 11:46 AM
HENRY JONES!

Extremebillsfan247
07-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I was on Sirius this morning and chimmed in on their topic of the most underrated players in NFL history. I, of course, had a few Bills that I mentioned...they were:

Darryl Talley
Frank Reich
Kenneth Davis
Don Beebe

I got to thinking, who else could we add to that list? Post your vote for the most underappreciated Bill of all time.Talley, I don't think many would argue that point. JMO

Jan Reimers
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
From a national standpoint, the most underrated Bill of all time may be Tom Sestak. He was a great DT, but unfortunately his career was cut short by injury, and he was almost strictly an AFL player, too.

Night Train
07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
LB Lucius Sanford, who played here from 1978-1986. A really good LB who never get his due, outside of Buffalo. Played out of his mind on every snap.

He was 6-2 and played around only 210 lbs... but hit like a Mack truck. He had a body like Mr. Universe and was no stranger to knock out hits.

Tough as nails and I'll never, ever forget the guy.

ServoBillieves
07-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Shane Conlan. Shane, Effing, Conlan. Dude played his spot, knew his role, never stood out, but got it done.

don137
07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Guys from the 70's that I loved that were underrated were Tony Greene, Bob Chandler, Jim Braxton and Lucious Sanford

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Last year I saw a guy in a Lucious Sanford jersey at a game.

Philagape
07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Let's see some kicker love: Rian Lindell, Steve Christie

John Doe
07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Wray Carlton.

A founding father of the team.

As fundamentally solid as could be and the perfect backfield partner for Gilchrist.

tampabay25690
07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
1 I think of in the past decade is AARON SCHOBEL....

He was are pass rush for many years and I don't think the fans of Buffalo appreciated anything this guy did.....

IMO

madness
07-08-2011, 03:53 PM
My top 2 would be:

Tom Sestak
Jim Braxton

The Rest:

Jeff Nixon
Scott Norwood
Joe Devlin
Frank Lewis
Elbert Dubenion
Bob Chandler
Butch Byrd

scartown
07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Jerry Butler

trapezeus
07-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Kent Hull. While Kelly takes all the glory, Hull actually dissected defenses at the LOS more than what was publicly known

is this a guess based on what centers do, or is this something you read? if you read it, can you pass it on. it sounds interesting.

i'm not disagreeing, but it would be interesting to know how much of it was the two of them working well together.

tomz
07-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Shane Conlan. Shane, Effing, Conlan. Dude played his spot, knew his role, never stood out, but got it done.

In this day and age, and given that he was a high draft pick, he would have been considered in the same light as Whitner on this board. Not good enough for that high of a pick!!!!

That said, I liked him a lot. Remember when they were referring to him as 'jughead' because of his enormous head that he would stick in there to tackle with?

ServoBillieves
07-08-2011, 06:09 PM
In this day and age, and given that he was a high draft pick, he would have been considered in the same light as Whitner on this board. Not good enough for that high of a pick!!!!

That said, I liked him a lot. Remember when they were referring to him as 'jughead' because of his enormous head that he would stick in there to tackle with?

Good ol' Jughead out of PSU, a tackling machine. In no way shape or form do I like that he was selected so high, but when he and Biscuit got put together in that corp, woooo... Shame that injuries plagued him so much. Turns out he lives down the road from me (for now) and his kid is a high school phenom in football.

Mr. Pink
07-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Norwood should be number 1. Nobody remembers anything he did except wide right.

Dubenion, Sestak, Gilchrist, Cribbs all belong on an underrated list.

How are guys like Reich and Davis underrated? They were backups. Nobody cares about backups.

Ingtar33
07-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Phil Hanson
Mark Pike

John Fina ~ that's not saying Fina was very good, but that our LT position has been a mess ever since he retired.

Captain gameboy
07-09-2011, 09:13 AM
No question in my mind.
Robert James

The definitive shutdown corner.

chernobylwraiths
07-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Guys from the 70's that I loved that were underrated were Tony Greene, Bob Chandler, Jim Braxton and Lucious Sanford

Can't argue with any on this list.

Shane Nelson was an up and comer also until a bad knee injury.

This will be unpopular, but if it weren't for knee injuries, Simpson could have been the best ever, but I guess the same could be said for Sayers.

Lastly, I think there is a much maligned player that even though people don't hate on him as much as they did during his playing days, Joe Ferguson has to also be in the discussion.

I would add Jim Ritcher as an underrated player during some of the superbowl years.

The Popcorn
07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Terrell Owens

Captain gameboy
07-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Minor disagreement.

OJ was magic on his own. He didn't need anybody, except a coach that would give him the ball.
I say that as a ball boy for a training camp during his tenure. Watched him every day.

Simply head and shoulders above any running back during that time.

Captain gameboy
07-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Wray Carlton.

A founding father of the team.

As fundamentally solid as could be and the perfect backfield partner for Gilchrist.

Cookie Gilchrist leading the Bills on a Monday exercise deep breathing thing.

"Everybody inhale.......Dehale."

Billz_fan
07-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Jerry Butler

I was in the stadium the day Jerry broke his leg and effectively ended his career. I think he came back but it was never the same.

With that being said my choice would be the man who played opposite Butler for most of his time and was a Bill from 78-83 and had 2 1000 yard seasons and a pro bowl appearance for the Bills.

Frank Lewis

cookie G
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Can't argue with any on this list.

That's definitely a good choice.

Captain gameboy
07-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Couldn't cover.

mightysimi
07-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Hanson. I don't think Bruce dominates as much without the help on the other side.

YardRat
07-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Derrick Burroughs.

He was just achieving 'lockdown' capability and probably would have become the all-time #1 CB for the team if not for the neck injury.

Talley is a no-brainer...Look up 'under rated' in the NFL dictionary and there's a picture of Talley with the definition.

Sanford, Williams, Sestak and James are good choices also.

Captain gameboy
07-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Derrick Burroughs.

He was just achieving 'lockdown' capability and probably would have become the all-time #1 CB for the team if not for the neck injury.

He wasn't Robert James.

I know a lot of folks on this site aren't familiar with James, but he was unbelievable.

He would routinely shutout the opposition's best receiver.
Not limit, shutout.

A defensive end/linebacker in college with super speed.

Many think that modern day pass interference rules were the result of his bump and run skills, like lowering the mound was the result of Bob Gibson.

In my 47 years as a Bills fan, there are three names that were special, in my view.

Robert James, Juice and Thurman.

Respecting the thread, Robert James is the only one of the three that was underrated.

Late edit.....And Talley.
He is the personification of why I love this team, and always will.

YardRat
07-09-2011, 03:59 PM
He wasn't Robert James.

I know a lot of folks on this site aren't familiar with James, but he was unbelievable.

He would routinely shutout the opposition's best receiver.
Not limit, shutout.

A defensive end/linebacker in college with super speed.

Many think that modern day pass interference rules were the result of his bump and run skills, like lowering the mound was the result of Bob Gibson.

In my 47 years as a Bills fan, there are three names that were special, in my view.

Robert James, Juice and Thurman.

Respecting the thread, Robert James is the only one of the three that was underrated.

Late edit.....And Talley.
He is the personification of why I love this team, and always will.

I remember James quite well. Burroughs didn't make it to his skill level, but he would've IMO.

Captain gameboy
07-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I remember James quite well. Burroughs didn't make it to his skill level, but he would've IMO.

I respect that view.

I don't know Burroughs as well.

I think Robert James was the single best defensive player we have ever had, ex Bruce.

I believe he had a month, four games, wherein nobody had a catch against him.

You could limit the opposition's passing offense to one side of the field when he was there.

Simply the best I ever saw.

Losing him on a pick return in a preseason game was a tragedy.

CoolBreeze
07-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Roland Hooks, Leonard Smith, Jay Riemersma

Mr. Pink
07-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Still surprised no one mentioned Keith McKellar.

Captain gameboy
07-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Still surprised no one mentioned Keith McKellar.

Another guy who thrived because Thurman was such a force.

SaviorEdwards
07-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Reggie Germany...kid could flat out ball :5:

CoolBreeze
07-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Howard Ballard, Ted Washington, Pat Williams,

BuffaloBillsFan4life
07-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Darryl Talley
Frank Reich
Kenneth Davis
Don Beebe

I got to thinking, who else could we add to that list? Post your vote for the most underappreciated Bill of all time.

I don't think that Don Beebe was under-appreciated, I think he was injured too much.

Talley, Reich and Davis, for sure. During the Super Bowl years, Buffalo's backups were even great, point shown with Reich and Davis.

acehole
07-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Phil Hansen

QUOTE=T-Long]I was on Sirius this morning and chimmed in on their topic of the most underrated players in NFL history. I, of course, had a few Bills that I mentioned...they were:

Darryl Talley
Frank Reich
Kenneth Davis
Don Beebe

I got to thinking, who else could we add to that list? Post your vote for the most underappreciated Bill of all time.[/QUOTE]

justasportsfan
07-10-2011, 11:52 PM
is this a guess based on what centers do, or is this something you read? if you read it, can you pass it on. it sounds interesting.

i'm not disagreeing, but it would be interesting to know how much of it was the two of them working well together.
I remember during an interview Kelly said at times he would call a play at the LOS and Kent Hull would look at Jim and shake his head and Jim would make a different call and turned out to be the right one. Tried to do a search for that audio interview and this is what I cam up with so far.

It wasn't just Kelly and Manning winning over teammates. Hull and Saturday both had to make split-second decisions along the offensive line, calling out signals while everyone else scrambled to get into position for the next play. Few have been more proficient at it.

"Jim would be one of the first to tell you that Kent Hull was 50 percent of the quarterback process," Levy said.
http://staugustine.com/sports/2010-10-01/mannings-center#.Thp-b7m_hPw

“We would go up to the line and Kent would turn to me and say, ‘Get out of it,’” says Kelly. “He knew based on the alignment of the nose tackle whether it was a 3-4 or a 4-3. He always knew if the play was going to work by their initial alignment when we’d get up there. I wouldn’t even ask any questions or wait to look.”

http://www.footballreportersonline.com/tag/kent-hull/

here's my favorite thing about hulls leadership

What The Cameras Missed
His fellow players regard Hull as a great teammate and he revealed a piece of that legend in the locker room after their first Super Bowl loss, a 20-19 defeat by the New York Giants. A last second 47-yard field goal attempt by Bills kicker Scott Norwood went wide right as time expired. “I’m getting ready to leave the locker room and there’s Scott Norwood sitting there, still in his uniform,” he says. “I went over there and said ‘take your stuff off and get over there in the shower.’ And he’s all upset. I said, ‘Scott, let me tell you something. Had I done my job better, that 47-yard field goal might have been a 33- or 37-yard field goal. Now you go get in the shower.’ And I waited till he got dressed and we left together.”

http://www.deltamagazine.com/janfeb_09/hull.html

TheBrownBear
07-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Wolford
Hansen

Norwood - pre-wide right he was almost automatic. anyone remember how many clutch kicks this dude drilled during our "return to prominence" season of 1988?

I don't really think of Talley as underrated. Everyone in Buffalo knew how good he was and there was always national talk during those days of him being a perennial snub for the pro-bowl. If he was truly underrated, the national guys wouldn't have even talked about him.

Historian
07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Joe Devlin tops my list.

Honorable mention to;

Tom Sestak
Kent Hull
Marlin Briscoe
Jim Cheyunski
Butch Rolle

I liked Robert James too. Not just a lock down corner, but a headhunter of a tackler.

TacklingDummy
07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Arron Maybin

unpaid_bills
07-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Billie Joe Hobert
Erik Flowers
Mike Williams

in all seriousness ... Tasker, Chris Spielman, Bryce Paup (for one year anyway)

MikeNC
07-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Kenneth Davis is definitely a good choice. He could have flourished on a bunch of other teams in the league.

BINGO!!!!!

Mski
07-22-2011, 12:25 PM
i cant believe i had to get to about post #30 before i saw Cookie Gilchrist mentioned... a few people i work with who were around to watch him and OJ play say Gilchrist was the better back of the two, but never got the recognition

X-Era
07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Shocked that I haven't seen James Lofton

I don't consider HOF'ers or potential HOF'ers underrated.

tatersalad
07-22-2011, 01:17 PM
kent hull

jim braxton

jerry butler