• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Most underrated Bills of all time

I was on Sirius this morning and chimmed in on their topic of the most underrated players in NFL history. I, of course, had a few Bills that I mentioned...they were:

Darryl Talley
    Frank Reich
    Kenneth Davis
    Don Beebe

I got to thinking, who else could we add to that list? Post your vote for the most underappreciated Bill of all time.
  • don137
    • Jul 2002

Re: Most underrated Bills of all time

Tasker, Will Wolford and Talley.
    Tasker was actually a very good receiver in addition to be the best ST player ever to play. He did not play much but when he did he really impressed me at WR with some outstanding receptions. Doubt he will ever make HOF despite his domination.
    Wolford protected Kelly's blindside and did a great job. The drop off to Fina when Wolford left was noticeable.
    Talley- the guy always played with a high motor and was a difference maker. Due to Biscuit and Bruce he never got the accolades he deserved.
    Last edited by don137; 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• T-Long
      Circling the Wagons since 1982.
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by don137
      Tasker, Will Wolford and Talley.
      Tasker was actually a very good receiver in addition to be the best ST player ever to play. He did not play much but when he did he really impressed me at WR with some outstanding receptions. Doubt he will ever make HOF despite his domination.
      Wolford protected Kelly's blindside and did a great job. The drop off to Fina when Wolford left was noticeable.
      Talley- the guy always played with a high motor and was a difference maker. Due to Biscuit and Bruce he never got the accolades he deserved.
      I don't think we can add Tasker since he is considered the best special teams player of all time and has been discussed for the HOF. So, I don't think we can add him considering he wasn't underrated. Wolford and Talley for sure...

Comment

• mayotm
        • Jul 2003

Talley. Is not even close in my opinion. He was the heart and soul of the defense. Nationaly everybody talked about Bruce and Biscuit. Talley rarely got the recognition he deserved.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Kent Hull. While Kelly takes all the glory, Hull actually dissected defenses at the LOS more than what was publicly known
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Eugene Marve was a very good player on some very bad teams

Jerry Butler might have been the most talented receiver in team history.

Jim Braxton was a major reason for OJs success.
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• k-oneputt
              • Jun 2009

Bruce and Biscuit were more talented but Talley was the leader and fire on that defense. He was always in Bruce's ear.
              We need another Talley on our defense. Maybe rookie lb Sheppard.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

I don't see Talley as underrated, just because I think he's now getting the respect he deserves. He was probably more underrated when he played, than he is now.

Wolford is a good choice. From an earlier era, Joe Devlin was underrated. In the era when Gastineau was setting sack records, he said he voted for Devlin to the PB every year. Gastineau rarely got around him.

From that same era, Ben Williams was underrated. It wasn't just the Bermuda Triangle that made them the best in the league. He was by far their best pass rusher.

Kenneth Davis is definitely a good choice. He could have flourished on a bunch of other teams in the league.

Beebe....I don't get, never did. If anything, I've thought of him as one of the more overrated players. I know, I know, he ran down Leon Lett. OK.

He was also was of the fastest players in the league. He ran like a 4.2 40, yet he hovered around 400-500 yards and had more than 5 TD's once in his career only once.

Put Beebe's speed in Andre Reed and Jerry Rice might have been the 2nd best receiver of all time.
                Last edited by cookie G; 07-08-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                  Eugene Marve was a very good player on some very bad teams

Jerry Butler might have been the most talented receiver in team history.

Jim Braxton was a major reason for OJs success.
                  Braxton not only was a great blocker but on the few occasions he got the ball he ran with the ball very well. I would love to see another player like him on this Bills team.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                    • Mar 2003

HENRY JONES!

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by T-Long
                      I was on Sirius this morning and chimmed in on their topic of the most underrated players in NFL history. I, of course, had a few Bills that I mentioned...they were:

Darryl Talley
                      Frank Reich
                      Kenneth Davis
                      Don Beebe

I got to thinking, who else could we add to that list? Post your vote for the most underappreciated Bill of all time.
                      Talley, I don't think many would argue that point. JMO

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

From a national standpoint, the most underrated Bill of all time may be Tom Sestak. He was a great DT, but unfortunately his career was cut short by injury, and he was almost strictly an AFL player, too.
                        Last edited by Jan Reimers; 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

LB Lucius Sanford, who played here from 1978-1986. A really good LB who never get his due, outside of Buffalo. Played out of his mind on every snap.

He was 6-2 and played around only 210 lbs... but hit like a Mack truck. He had a body like Mr. Universe and was no stranger to knock out hits.

Tough as nails and I'll never, ever forget the guy.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Jul 2007

Shane Conlan. Shane, Effing, Conlan. Dude played his spot, knew his role, never stood out, but got it done.
                            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

Guys from the 70's that I loved that were underrated were Tony Greene, Bob Chandler, Jim Braxton and Lucious Sanford

Comment

Working...
                              X