• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

We (almost) Have A Deal!

The NFL and NFL Players Association are moving toward an agreement that can be ratified during the July 21 league meetings in Atlanta, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

There is a growing belief inside league circles that the NFL and NFL Players Association will have an agreement in place that can be ratified during the July 21 league meetings in Atlanta, according to sources familiar with the state of negotiations.

As one NFL owner said this weekend, there's "no reason to believe it won't get done."

Other people familiar with the talks now think an agreement in principle will be put in place in the next seven to 10 days, a handshake deal that would allow each side to ratify the deal to start the 2011 season.

While a rookie wage system has been identified as the most complex issue still to be resolved between the owners and players as they return to the negotiating table this week in New York, the level of overall confidence in reaching an agreement also is evident in a document known as "The Transition Rules" that NFL teams would follow if and when both players and owners ratify a new labor agreement.
    July 1 (July 21): Educate the clubs on the news league rules and allow voluntary training for teams and agents.

July 5 (July 25): Sign undrafted rookies, as well as give free agents a chance to re-sign with their teams.

July 8 (July 28) -- League year starts and free agency begins.

July 13 (Aug. 2) -- Rosters must be set at 90 players.

July 14 (Aug. 3) -- Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

July 18 (Aug. 7 ) -- A four-day match period for teams to match restricted free-agent offer sheets.

July 23 (Aug 12) -- Deadline for rookies to sign contracts (not yet agreed upon).

July 27 (Aug. 16) -- Signing period for restricted free agents ends, as does the signing period for franchise and transition tenders.

Aug. 9 (Aug. 29) -- Deadline for players to report to earned credit for an accrued season toward free agency.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • mikemac2001
    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
    • Mar 2003

Re: We Have A Deal!

NFL network was talking about this 30 mins ago as I was walking into work (Sirius) seems like it's a done deal tho which is good and sounds like a rookie wage scale for sure

MUCK
    FIAMI

Comment

• wmoz11
      • Sep 2008

Re: We Have A Deal!

Sounds a lot more like "we SHOULD have a deal" than "we DO have a deal."

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

Re: We (almost) Have A Deal!

sorry Draftboy I had to edit the title here.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Static
          The lap dances are always better when the stripper is crying.
          • Jul 2005

Just get the deal done!!!!!!

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

The most intriguing is the deadline for rookies to sign their contracts. The NFL and NFLPA have discussed the idea of placing a deadline on rookies to sign to reduce the number of holdouts. Teams have expressed concern that the longer a rookie holds out, the higher his frequency for injury and failure are.
            Very intriguing indeed!

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
              • Sep 2008

It may happen, it may not. Nothing is set in stone yet. The only reason they are thinking July 21st is because that is when the Owners meet in Atlanta. Any type of deal still needs a vote of at least 24 Owners in favor to be ratified, and that's if these negotiations conclude by then. It would be cool if it did happen, but there is still time for things to go wrong between now and then. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Two words...wishful thinking.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by King Bedard
                  sorry Draftboy I had to edit the title here.
                  Lame.

But I understand.

IMO if they are setting official dates and ratification meetings, this deal is done.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                    Two words...wishful thinking.
                    You only say that because you've been perdicting we'd miss games the entire time.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                      Will not tolerate vandalism.
                      • Apr 2006

ESPN softens its July 21 report
                      by Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk

A cynic would now wonder whether Schefter and Mort opted to make their safe harbor a lot safer with the addition of two new paragraphs that remind the world that the process is far from a done deal.

Actually, that’s more than a safe harbor. Mort and Schefty are now fully covered on both sides of the story. If the deal get done on July 21, you heard it there first. And if it doesn’t, you heard it there first, too.
                      We opened our most recent lockout item with a good-natured jab at the new report from ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter, which a cynic could regard as an effort to claim eventual credit for first reporting the end to the lockout while also avoiding any criticism for being wrong if a deal…

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...uly-21-report/
                        ESPN isn't the only site running the 7/21 story. Albert Breer (who arguably is the closest to the action) of NFLN was saying the same thing. Breer agreement with the facts which is what led me to this thread post.

Could that change? Absolutely.
                        Last edited by DraftBoy; 07-11-2011, 11:18 AM.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

this is a classic study of today's journalism. i think one person broke this story, and everyone is report that person's story. And it gives the idea that this has more merit and will get done. but in the end, we are leveraging one persons report and hoping it just becomes the truth.

This happens constantly on fast breaking stories and high interest stories.

As for football, i still hardly care. i'll be excited for opening day, but this whole thing seems like a disaster and the bills will still be struggling. i bet they won't even get marcel signed to give him maximum time to be ready. which just means that we'll stay behind the 8 ball.

watching team pegula move vs watching the tired, old ralph wilson decision by committee team has created a level of apathy for my fandom here in the middle of july.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...uly-21-report/
                            Not surprising considering that the Owners meeting on that day could end up being a vote to cancel a good chunk of the preseason if some kind of deal isn't ready to go by then. July 21st has sort of become an unofficial due date. If there is a deal ready by then, and the majority of owners agree to it, we have football. If not, then bye bye preseason, or at least a good portion of it. According to many sources, one of the major wedges keeping the deal from happening right now is rookie contracts and how they should be dealt with. It appears to be an extremely complicated issue. JMO
                            Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

I wonder if this affect any preseason games

Comment

Working...
                              X