PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper Bills Draft Summary

T-Long
07-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Being an expert on First Round Exchange put me in the loop for Mel's take on the entire 2011 draft, on a team by team basis. Not sure if he released this info anywhere else, but wanted to share his thoughts with you all.

When the Broncos opted for Texas A&M LB Von Miller one pick earlier, it made the Bills’ selection of Alabama DL Marcell Dareus a nobrainer.
Not only does he significantly improve their run defense which finished last in the league last year, he also will provide them with some
much needed pass rush. The Bills further strengthened their run defense with the selection of LSU LB Kelvin Sheppard in the third round. He’s
someone who Chan Gailey got to know well at the Senior Bowl.

With management having little interest in re-signing Akin Ayodele and Paul
Posluszny set to become a free agent, Sheppard will be given a chance to make a contribution right away. Sandwiched between these two picks
was Texas’ Aaron Williams. Able to see action at cornerback or safety, when you take into consideration that Terrence McGee has trouble staying
in one piece with the lack of consistency shown by Leodis McKelvin and the expected departure of free agent Drayton Florence, he was not only
a good value pick in the second round, he was also a need one.

The focus on defense continued with the first of their two fourth round picks.
North Carolina’s Da'Norris Searcy was rated the second best safety on my board. Every indication at this point is that they are not going to re-sign
Donte Whitner. Searcy will compete with George Wilson for the starting job at strong safety. Their first selection on the offensive side of the
football was Clemson T Chris Hairston. The Bills have had a lot of instability at the position in recent years. Hairston has the talent necessary to
become a quality starter on the right side.

In the fifth round, they added North Carolina RB Johnny White. He’s a versatile performer who figures to be the #3 back behind Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller.

With their final three picks, the Bills went back to the defensive side of the football. Sixth
round pick, Mississippi State LB Chris White, is coming off a very productive senior year. He figures to be an immediate hit on special teams.
The first of a pair of seventh round picks was used on Richmond CB Justin Rogers. He gained a reputation early in his career for being a ball
hawk. An offensive lineman last season, Bethel’s Michael Jasper will be tried at nose tackle. He’s raw but has talent. *Dareus has Pro Bowl type
ability. If Williams is unable to make the grade at cornerback, he could turn out to be a very good free safety. Sheppard fills a pressing need at
inside linebacker. Searcy addressed issues they had at strong safety. Hairston couldn’t ask for a better opportunity at right tackle. Both Whites
have a chance to be quality depth guys at their respective positions. Rogers could make the grade as a fourth or fifth corner. Jasper is one of those
types that NFL position coaches really enjoy working with in the hopes of being able to turn him from a raw prospect into a serviceable rotation
guy.

More so than not coming away with a quarterback, the lone real negative concerning the Bills’ draft was they weren’t able to upgrade the
outside linebacker position.

Grade: B

Buckets
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Why does everyone assume that Spiller will be the #2 back this year? What did he do last year to remotely consider him a lock on #2?

DraftBoy
07-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Why does everyone assume that Spiller will be the #2 back this year? What did he do last year to remotely consider him a lock on #2?

He was drafted high and they pay him good money.

Literally at the moment that's the reason.

EDS
07-11-2011, 11:32 AM

I think it was the fact that he did nothing is what causes most to consider him the second string guy at this point.

trapezeus
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
man, mel kiper must be one of those "if you scored a 98, what happened to the other 2 points" type of parents.

He pretty much put praise on each player and showed how they help a bills team. his two negatives were no qb, which i think he even agrees was a weak class and lack of outside linebacker.

and with that, he gave us a B. I would have thought a B+/A- for addressing all the weak spots on the team.

Dr. Lecter
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
man, mel kiper must be one of those "if you scored a 98, what happened to the other 2 points" type of parents.

He pretty much put praise on each player and showed how they help a bills team. his two negatives were no qb, which i think he even agrees was a weak class and lack of outside linebacker.

and with that, he gave us a B. I would have thought a B+/A- for addressing all the weak spots on the team.
They did not adress all of the weak spots on the team. That would have been impossible to do in one draft.

justasportsfan
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
They did not adress all of the weak spots on the team. That would have been impossible to do in one draft.
as often as Trap and I disagree, I got what he was trying to say. Stop Pmsing.

YardRat
07-11-2011, 02:17 PM

'First round draft pick'.

better days
07-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Yeah, he probably gave the Lions a B when Millen was the GM.

DraftBoy
07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
as often as Trap and I disagree, I got what he was trying to say. Stop Pmsing.

But Kiper has a valid gripe which is what Doc was getting at. Kiper may have evaluated needs and player different so of course in his opinion the Bills missed on some opportunities. Just as I see their draft in a lower light than Kiper does.

Its all based on individual evaluation and interpretation. Nothing wrong with that.

k-oneputt
07-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm still waiting for last years draft to do something.
I don't think we will be waiting long for this years draft to be playing and producing on the field.

better days
07-11-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm still waiting for last years draft to do something.
I don't think we will be waiting long for this years draft to be playing and producing on the field.

Well, all but one lower rnd pick are still on the team, so there is still a very good chance a few will do something.

justasportsfan
07-11-2011, 03:31 PM
But Kiper has a valid gripe which is what Doc was getting at. Kiper may have evaluated needs and player different so of course in his opinion the Bills missed on some opportunities. Just as I see their draft in a lower light than Kiper does.

Its all based on individual evaluation and interpretation. Nothing wrong with that.
relax, I was just playing with Lecter.

trapezeus
07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
i didn't mean ALL weakspots. i meant, "for all the weakspots we addressed with what he thinks are quality players, you'd think we'd get a higher grade."

there weren't any luxury picks like spiller. and everyone apparently can fortify depth or be day 1 starters. i like that. how many jauron drafts did we have where people didn't play and then were off the team. what was the name of the running back drafted with marshawn? that was a waste of a fourth rounder.

DraftBoy
07-11-2011, 03:50 PM

That's fantastic, however your playfulness is some people realities.

Dr. Lecter
07-11-2011, 08:33 PM
And, as usual, the answer is "I am not interested"

k-oneputt
07-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, all but one lower rnd pick are still on the team, so there is still a very good chance a few will do something.

The team was 4-12. You think the front office is going to cut their stiff picks after one year. We all HOPE they do something.

Buffalogic
07-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Why does everyone assume that Spiller will be the #2 back this year? What did he do last year to remotely consider him a lock on #2?pffft because you don't quit on a guy after one year as a pro.

Night Train
07-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Fair summary.

I wonder about OLB myself but knew the Bills couldn't solve every shortage in 1 draft.

Besides the brittle Merriman, can some of the youngsters step up ?

DraftBoy
07-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Fair summary.

I wonder about OLB myself but knew the Bills couldn't solve every shortage in 1 draft.

Besides the brittle Merriman, can some of the youngsters step up ?

Moats has the hype thanks to the Favre hit but he still has a long way to go. Im more concerned with our ILB situation at the moment though. Poz may or may not be back (no big loss, imo), Davis is a better backup than starter and behind him is unproven Batten and Sheppard. These guys are key to the run defense with our front 3 taking on the blocks.

Dr. Lecter
07-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Moats has the hype thanks to the Favre hit but he still has a long way to go. Im more concerned with our ILB situation at the moment though. Poz may or may not be back (no big loss, imo), Davis is a better backup than starter and behind him is unproven Batten and Sheppard. These guys are key to the run defense with our front 3 taking on the blocks.
How can you Poz is not a huge loss when that would make Davis and Sheppard/Batten the starters? He is not great by any mean, but there is nothing behind him.

DraftBoy
07-12-2011, 10:30 AM
How can you Poz is not a huge loss when that would make Davis and Sheppard/Batten the starters? He is not great by any mean, but there is nothing behind him.

That's operating under the assumption that there is something ahead of them. Which I dont agree with, is he the worst ILB ever? Certainly not but he is easily replacable, imo. Depth and inexperience are my main concerns not a talent drop off.

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 10:45 AM

It's called "Buffalo Bills Depth." If the starter gets hurt/leaves, the decrease in talent is minimal because most of our starters would be back-ups on at least half the teams in the league.

Poz may have the experience advantage over all those guys except Davis, but I'm not convinced at all that he has the talent advantage.

EDS
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
That's operating under the assumption that there is something ahead of them. Which I dont agree with, is he the worst ILB ever? Certainly not but he is easily replacable, imo. Depth and inexperience are my main concerns not a talent drop off.

Idon't see Poz as a star but he is far and away the best linebacker the Bills have so losing him would be detrimental, unless he is replaced by an equivalent free agent signing. I don't think the existing in-house options are viable replacements at this time (either the unproven kids or the veteran retreads).

DraftBoy
07-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Idon't see Poz as a star but he is far and away the best linebacker the Bills have so losing him would be detrimental, unless he is replaced by an equivalent free agent signing. I don't think the existing in-house options are viable replacements at this time (either the unproven kids or the veteran retreads).

Being the best LB the Bills have is like being the smartest kid in 5th grade. It doesnt mean a whole heck of a lot.

Like I said Im not concerned about a talent drop off because I like what Batten and Sheppard both offer athletically and with the ability to blitz over what Poz brings. My concerns is about their lack of experience and our overall lack of depth.

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Well, they're never going to be viable replacements as long as they're sitting on the bench behind Poz.

We were last in the league against the run last year with Poz at ILB. Granted, it wasn't entirely his fault, but the run D isn't going to get any better unless changes are made.

And before you say "having Dareus on the DL will help Poz," having him there is also going to help Batten, Sheppard, Davis or whoever else ends up back there. That's how team sports work.

If we sign Poz, we are dooming ourselves to mediocrity at ILB until his contract ends, because Ralph will use the excuse that he paid Poz to avoid bringing in another FA at the position or drafting someone.

justasportsfan
07-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Well, they're never going to be viable replacements as long as they're sitting on the bench behind Poz.

Fitz getting off the bench to replace Trent says thats not true.

If we sign Poz, we are dooming ourselves to mediocrity at ILB until his contract ends, because Ralph will use the excuse that he paid Poz to avoid bringing in another FA at the position or drafting someone.
so what you're telling us is that no way no how Poz plays better after having one year under his belt in the same system?

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Fitz getting off the bench to replace Trent says thats not true.

so what you're telling us is that no way no how Poz plays better after having one year under his belt in the same system?

Every year.

Every year with this damn argument.

"Players will get better from one year to the next. Players will get better when they have more time in the same system."

It NEVER materializes.

No, I don't think Poz will get better because he's had another year in the system. Being in the system longer won't give him the ability to shed a block or turn his hips faster. The only thing that might help Poz is having Dareus in front of him, and that will help any ILB.

And Fitz already had experience playing as a back-up here and in Cincy. The guys behind Poz don't have experience and won't get it sitting on the bench behind him. But as usual, you can't see the forest from the trees. Not all situations are the same, no matter how much you try to make them so.

EDS
07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Being the best LB the Bills have is like being the smartest kid in 5th grade. It doesnt mean a whole heck of a lot.

Like I said Im not concerned about a talent drop off because I like what Batten and Sheppard both offer athletically and with the ability to blitz over what Poz brings. My concerns is about their lack of experience and our overall lack of depth.

To me, Sheppard is potentially a good compliment to Poz as he has a different skill set (and is the kind of thumper the Bills need to pair with Poz). Batten is a project in every sense of the word, particularly in that he is going to be asked to learn a new position. I could see one of Sheppard, White orBatten possibly being able to start at some point this season, but to rely on two of them would be a colossal mistake. Davis (old, injured) and Torbor (old, needed at OLB) are at best back-ups, so you definitely need at least one viable starter, whether that be Poz or a free agent.

justasportsfan
07-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Every year.

Every year with this damn argument.

"Players will get better from one year to the next. Players will get better when they have more time in the same system."

It NEVER materializes.

No, I don't think Poz will get better because he's had another year in the system. Being in the system longer won't give him the ability to shed a block or turn his hips faster. The only thing that might help Poz is having Dareus in front of him, and that will help any ILB. .

Same argument every year? Actually this is the first time it's been brougt up with POz because it's the first time he's played in a new system. So no, it's not the same.

And Fitz already had experience playing as a back-up here and in Cincy. The guys behind Poz don't have experience and won't get it sitting on the bench behind him. But as usual, you can't see the forest from the trees. Not all situations are the same, no matter how much you try to make them so.
Uh no. Fitz may have played back up but the point is, if the coaches see other players playing better than you, they will bench you and even get rid of you. So to say that POz won't be replaced if other guys play better than him is not accurate.

justasportsfan
07-12-2011, 01:37 PM
BTW, I am not a POZ fan. He's a meh player as far as I'm concerned and I've stated that in the past. However, anyone who thinks that a player CAN'T improve with experience in the same system is no different from anyone who says a player is guaranteed to improve either.

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Same argument every year? Actually this is the first time it's been brougt up with POz because it's the first time he's played in a new system. So no, it's not the same.

Uh no. Fitz may have played back up but the point is, if the coaches see other players playing better than you, they will bench you and even get rid of you. So to say that POz won't be replaced if other guys play better than him is not accurate.

Yes it is accurate.

Even if what you say is true, and Gailey benches Poz, we'll still have Poz's cap hit on the books and we'll still have him taking up a roster spot.

Just because they dumped Trent doesn't mean they'll dump Poz, especially since Poz's cap hit is likely to be a lot higher.

And no, you have not made this argument specific to Poz in the past. But you have made it with other players. And every year, it fails to make the team better. The simple fact is that we need more talent. Re-signing the same guys isn't the way to do it.

DraftBoy
07-12-2011, 01:48 PM
To me, Sheppard is potentially a good compliment to Poz as he has a different skill set (and is the kind of thumper the Bills need to pair with Poz). Batten is a project in every sense of the word, particularly in that he is going to be asked to learn a new position. I could see one of Sheppard, White orBatten possibly being able to start at some point this season, but to rely on two of them would be a colossal mistake. Davis (old, injured) and Torbor (old, needed at OLB) are at best back-ups, so you definitely need at least one viable starter, whether that be Poz or a free agent.

I see your argument but I think that Sheppard is everything Poz is with more athleticism and range and less experience. I think Batten adds the pass rush from the ILB we don't currently have, and White is a good thumper on 3rd and short. I would have less issue going into the year with those three as our top ILB's then I would resigning Poz to a deal I dont believe he's worth.

justasportsfan
07-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Yes it is accurate.

Even if what you say is true, and Gailey benches Poz, we'll still have Poz's cap hit on the books and we'll still have him taking up a roster spot.

Just because they dumped Trent doesn't mean they'll dump Poz, especially since Poz's cap hit is likely to be a lot higher.

And no, you have not made this argument specific to Poz in the past. But you have made it with other players. And every year, it fails to make the team better. The simple fact is that we need more talent. Re-signing the same guys isn't the way to do it.

the argument is the same, we need more talent but there isn't one nor have you come up with any viable replacements other than crossing your fingers that Sheppard may or may not be better. Thats just crazy talk considering you have no faith on the way the bills draft and no confidence in Nix. Based on your opinions in the past, a 3rd round pick (sheppard) is bound to be worse than a 1st rd pick (POz) because of the way we draft. Going by your opinion, I'll take my chances with Poz.

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 01:59 PM
the argument is the same, we need more talent but there isn't one nor have you come up with any viable replacements other than crossing your fingers that Sheppard may or may not be better. Thats just crazy talk considering you have no faith on the way the bills draft and no confidence in Nix. Based on your opinions in the past, a 3rd round pick (sheppard) is bound to be worse than a 1st rd pick (POz) because of the way we draft. Going by your opinion, I'll take my chances with Poz.

Crossing my fingers that Shepp may or may not be better at least gives us a chance of improvement. You're advocating using the EXACT SAME GUY and getting different results, then you have the nerve to call me crazy? Please.

And actually, my opinion is that the Bills do ok in the later rounds of the draft, and horrible at the beginning of the draft, so there is no way in hell I would assume that a Bills 1st round pick is automatically better than their 3rd round pick. See Williams vs McCargo.

And no, I don't have faith in Nix or the way the Bills draft, but I also don't have faith in Poz on the field. Even a blind fly lands on **** sometimes. Taking a chance on Sheppard at least has the possibility of improvement. Sticking with Poz is accepting the same old mediocrity.

EDS
07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I see your argument but I think that Sheppard is everything Poz is with more athleticism and range and less experience. I think Batten adds the pass rush from the ILB we don't currently have, and White is a good thumper on 3rd and short. I would have less issue going into the year with those three as our top ILB's then I would resigning Poz to a deal I dont believe he's worth.

I think Sheppard has some athletic limitations which may limit him to being a 2 down backer. That said, I think he will be an upgrade for the run defense over Davis/Ayodele, though maybe not to start the season. Batten and White are not guaranteed to provide any meaningful contribution, except maybe on special teams.

I don't think pass rush from the inside backers is that critical and, utimately, I see Batten moving back to OLB. I assume they put Moats at ILB initially just because he looks more like a ILB than an edge rusher.

DraftBoy
07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I think Sheppard has some athletic limitations which may limit him to being a 2 down backer. That said, I think he will be an upgrade for the run defense over Davis/Ayodele, though maybe not to start the season. Batten and White are not guaranteed to provide any meaningful contribution, except maybe on special teams.

I don't think pass rush from the inside backers is that critical and, utimately, I see Batten moving back to OLB. I assume they put Moats at ILB initially just because he looks more like a ILB than an edge rusher.

I think Shep can play 3 down LB in the NFL. He isn't Patrick Willis style of athleticism but he can get from sideline to sideline.

I do want to strongly disagree with the bolded statement though. Pressure from the middle is crucial to this defense where the blitzes are supposed to be random and sporadic and come from everywhere. If you can only blitz from the outside you become predictable.

They puts Moats at ILB and made a mistake doing so. I said it from the day they were draft Moats is the OLB, Batten is the ILB.

justasportsfan
07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Crossing my fingers that Shepp may or may not be better at least gives us a chance of improvement.
not when you think we can't draft for squat.

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 02:31 PM
not when you think we can't draft for squat.

like I said: even a blind fly lands on **** sometimes. I'll take the chance- however small it may be- over the guarantee of mediocrity.