• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Mel Kiper Bills Draft Summary

Being an expert on First Round Exchange put me in the loop for Mel's take on the entire 2011 draft, on a team by team basis. Not sure if he released this info anywhere else, but wanted to share his thoughts with you all.

When the Broncos opted for Texas A&M LB Von Miller one pick earlier, it made the Bills’ selection of Alabama DL Marcell Dareus a nobrainer.
    Not only does he significantly improve their run defense which finished last in the league last year, he also will provide them with some
    much needed pass rush. The Bills further strengthened their run defense with the selection of LSU LB Kelvin Sheppard in the third round. He’s
    someone who Chan Gailey got to know well at the Senior Bowl.

With management having little interest in re-signing Akin Ayodele and Paul
    Posluszny set to become a free agent, Sheppard will be given a chance to make a contribution right away. Sandwiched between these two picks
    was Texas’ Aaron Williams. Able to see action at cornerback or safety, when you take into consideration that Terrence McGee has trouble staying
    in one piece with the lack of consistency shown by Leodis McKelvin and the expected departure of free agent Drayton Florence, he was not only
    a good value pick in the second round, he was also a need one.

The focus on defense continued with the first of their two fourth round picks.
    North Carolina’s Da'Norris Searcy was rated the second best safety on my board. Every indication at this point is that they are not going to re-sign
    Donte Whitner. Searcy will compete with George Wilson for the starting job at strong safety. Their first selection on the offensive side of the
    football was Clemson T Chris Hairston. The Bills have had a lot of instability at the position in recent years. Hairston has the talent necessary to
    become a quality starter on the right side.

In the fifth round, they added North Carolina RB Johnny White. He’s a versatile performer who figures to be the #3 back behind Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller.

With their final three picks, the Bills went back to the defensive side of the football. Sixth
    round pick, Mississippi State LB Chris White, is coming off a very productive senior year. He figures to be an immediate hit on special teams.
    The first of a pair of seventh round picks was used on Richmond CB Justin Rogers. He gained a reputation early in his career for being a ball
    hawk. An offensive lineman last season, Bethel’s Michael Jasper will be tried at nose tackle. He’s raw but has talent. *Dareus has Pro Bowl type
    ability. If Williams is unable to make the grade at cornerback, he could turn out to be a very good free safety. Sheppard fills a pressing need at
    inside linebacker. Searcy addressed issues they had at strong safety. Hairston couldn’t ask for a better opportunity at right tackle. Both Whites
    have a chance to be quality depth guys at their respective positions. Rogers could make the grade as a fourth or fifth corner. Jasper is one of those
    types that NFL position coaches really enjoy working with in the hopes of being able to turn him from a raw prospect into a serviceable rotation
    guy.

More so than not coming away with a quarterback, the lone real negative concerning the Bills’ draft was they weren’t able to upgrade the
    outside linebacker position.

Grade: B
  • Buckets
    • Jun 2003

Re: Mel Kiper Bills Draft Summary

Why does everyone assume that Spiller will be the #2 back this year? What did he do last year to remotely consider him a lock on #2?

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Buckets
      Why does everyone assume that Spiller will be the #2 back this year? What did he do last year to remotely consider him a lock on #2?
      He was drafted high and they pay him good money.

Literally at the moment that's the reason.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

I think it was the fact that he did nothing is what causes most to consider him the second string guy at this point.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

man, mel kiper must be one of those "if you scored a 98, what happened to the other 2 points" type of parents.

He pretty much put praise on each player and showed how they help a bills team. his two negatives were no qb, which i think he even agrees was a weak class and lack of outside linebacker.

and with that, he gave us a B. I would have thought a B+/A- for addressing all the weak spots on the team.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus
            man, mel kiper must be one of those "if you scored a 98, what happened to the other 2 points" type of parents.

He pretty much put praise on each player and showed how they help a bills team. his two negatives were no qb, which i think he even agrees was a weak class and lack of outside linebacker.

and with that, he gave us a B. I would have thought a B+/A- for addressing all the weak spots on the team.
            They did not adress all of the weak spots on the team. That would have been impossible to do in one draft.
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
              They did not adress all of the weak spots on the team. That would have been impossible to do in one draft.
              as often as Trap and I disagree, I got what he was trying to say. Stop Pmsing.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

'First round draft pick'.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus

Yeah, he probably gave the Lions a B when Millen was the GM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    as often as Trap and I disagree, I got what he was trying to say. Stop Pmsing.
                    But Kiper has a valid gripe which is what Doc was getting at. Kiper may have evaluated needs and player different so of course in his opinion the Bills missed on some opportunities. Just as I see their draft in a lower light than Kiper does.

Its all based on individual evaluation and interpretation. Nothing wrong with that.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

I'm still waiting for last years draft to do something.
                      I don't think we will be waiting long for this years draft to be playing and producing on the field.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                        I'm still waiting for last years draft to do something.
                        I don't think we will be waiting long for this years draft to be playing and producing on the field.
                        Well, all but one lower rnd pick are still on the team, so there is still a very good chance a few will do something.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          But Kiper has a valid gripe which is what Doc was getting at. Kiper may have evaluated needs and player different so of course in his opinion the Bills missed on some opportunities. Just as I see their draft in a lower light than Kiper does.

Its all based on individual evaluation and interpretation. Nothing wrong with that.
                          relax, I was just playing with Lecter.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

i didn't mean ALL weakspots. i meant, "for all the weakspots we addressed with what he thinks are quality players, you'd think we'd get a higher grade."

there weren't any luxury picks like spiller. and everyone apparently can fortify depth or be day 1 starters. i like that. how many jauron drafts did we have where people didn't play and then were off the team. what was the name of the running back drafted with marshawn? that was a waste of a fourth rounder.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              relax, I was just playing with Lecter.
                              That's fantastic, however your playfulness is some people realities.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X