PDA

View Full Version : Bills ILB corps has healthy mix

justasportsfan
07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Taking a look back at the 2010 campaign one quickly realizes that by Week 2, one starting inside linebacker was out of the lineup with a sprained knee and the other had torn a labrum in his shoulder and would be lost for the season just five weeks later. It’s amazing the group was able to hold things together. What those setbacks did however, was show how much the inside linebacker position needed depth, which was addressed in this past spring’s NFL draft.

“We drafted a couple of young kids so hopefully we can create some good competition there and be better,” said Wannstedt.

Buffalo’s inside linebackers coach is referring to third-round pick Kelvin Sheppard and sixth-round pick Chris White. The pair is forecast to line up at inside linebacker once they step on the field for the Bills in the practice setting.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-ILB-corps-has-healthy-mix/dfe8d853-5329-4bbf-90da-37b2ac059ffb

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
It’s amazing the group was able to hold things together

um, we were DEAD LAST against the run and lost numerous games largely because of the D's inability to get off the field.

So, what exactly did they hold together?

WeAreArthurMoates
07-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I really like the Chris White drafting, I think in time the kid can become a good ILBer, and will be a special team demon.

don137
07-12-2011, 11:02 AM
um, we were DEAD LAST against the run and lost numerous games largely because of the D's inability to get off the field.

So, what exactly did they hold together?
I agree Op. This run defense held up about as successful as trying to nail jello to a wall...

Dr. Lecter
07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
A healthy mix of average players, below average players, horrible players and unproven players.

Works for me.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
chris white and shepp were all sec. i would guess that poz, shepp, and white will be the ilb rotation... torbor will have to beat out davis or coleman... out of davis coleman and torbor, one will be cut. probably torbor because of his age... davis is also a better ilb than torbor so that would be my guess.

merriman/moats/coleman
poz/white
shepp/davis
kelsay/batten

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
merriman/moats/coleman
poz/white
shepp/davis
kelsay/batten

Two rookies, two 2nd year players (one who didn't play at all last year), a vet coming off injury, two career back-ups, the very average Poz, and Kelsay who shouldn't be on the team.

Yup, Lecter nailed it.

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
and you forgot Maybin but that's an understandable oversight. He's very forgettable and I don't see him contributing, even if he makes the cut.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
and you forgot Maybin but that's an understandable oversight. He's very forgettable and I don't see him contributing, even if he makes the cut.

i dont see maybin getting past coleman, coleman has a first step plus hes stronger and more stout. white was a stud at miss st. he was very good. he will backup poz. davis will last longer as a backup for 1 year. plus hes better than torbor inside. i dont really see any rookie fas beating out davis for that backup job behind shepp... jmo

keep in mind batten can play inside in an emergency

Night Train
07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
In the 2 drafts under Nix, they selected Troup and Dareus at DT, Batten, Sheppard & White at ILB.

Looks like the Bills are concerned about production up the middle. Time will tell if these guys can take play away from very average to below average players currently starting there.

tampabay25690
07-14-2011, 06:47 AM
I think are middle of Williams, Dareus, and Troup will be much better this year and to be honest distruptive...
This only helps are LB crew...

DraftBoy
07-14-2011, 07:17 AM
I think are middle of Williams, Dareus, and Troup will be much better this year and to be honest distruptive...
This only helps are LB crew...

Asking Troup to play out of position and relying on a rookie is very risky. That's not saying they can't do it though.

tampabay25690
07-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Asking Troup to play out of position and relying on a rookie is very risky. That's not saying they can't do it though.

DB what do u mean out of position?
I still think u will see a dose of 4-3 with Dareus and Williams or Troup right in the middle....
They definitely won't run a strict 3-4

DraftBoy
07-14-2011, 10:34 AM
DB what do u mean out of position?
I still think u will see a dose of 4-3 with Dareus and Williams or Troup right in the middle....
They definitely won't run a strict 3-4

But they will run a base 34 set so where does Troup fit? We didnt take a 2nd round pick just to spell Williams.

EDS
07-14-2011, 10:59 AM
But they will run a base 34 set so where does Troup fit? We didnt take a 2nd round pick just to spell Williams.

Yes they did. Heck the used a first last year on a back-up RB.

DraftBoy
07-14-2011, 12:08 PM

They didnt do either. One year does not make a career.

Dr. Lecter
07-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Lighten up Francis

EDS
07-14-2011, 01:14 PM

Clearly one year does not make a career. At the same time, there are no guarantees that a second round pick becomes a meaningful contributor (see e.g., Todd Collins, Bucky Brooks, Travares Tillman, James Hardy, etc.). Even the ones who do contribute, such as Poz, Kelsay, Reed and Denny, would have been less likely to do so with a pro bowler in front of them.

justasportsfan
07-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Clearly one year does not make a career. At the same time, there are no guarantees that a second round pick becomes a meaningful contributor (see e.g., Todd Collins, Bucky Brooks, Travares Tillman, James Hardy, etc.). Even the ones who do contribute, such as Poz, Kelsay, Reed and Denny, would have been less likely to do so with a pro bowler in front of them.

I agree but just because they didn't pan out doesn't mean they were drafted to be back ups. It's too early to tell. It took MOulds years before he played like a no.1.

EDS
07-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I agree but just because they didn't pan out doesn't mean they were drafted to be back ups. It's too early to tell. It took MOulds years before he played like a no.1.

I was merely speaking to this coming season, in which I strongly suspect Troup will be a backup - for obvious reasons.

better days
07-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I was merely speaking to this coming season, in which I strongly suspect Troup will be a backup - for obvious reasons.

And injuries happen all the time. A team can never have too many good players.

DraftBoy
07-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Which plays to my point of why they took a 43 DT to play in a 34 scheme to begin with, but what's done is done.

I think they envision Troup eventually becoming the NT on this team, but with how well Williams played, he (Troup) may need to slide to DE to start his career off. Which is out of position for him.

Oaf
07-14-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm with ya on that one. I still am angry they didn't take an LB with that pick. Someone who, in the best-case scenario, wouldn't be limited to run downs.