PDA

View Full Version : Source: Expect Florence Back With Buffalo Bills

patmoran2006
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I spoke to a source connected to the Buffalo Bills and once the NFL lockout ends, which now appears imminent, the Bills have every intention of quickly re-signing cornerback Drayton Florence.

By rule, Bills general manager Buddy Nix is prohibited from discussing business with Florence or his representation. Let’s just say both parties are more than open to a reunion.

“He’s a strong, physical corner that is an asset not just in the passing game but against the run,” the source said. “As you can tell by the guys (the Bills) drafted, being stronger and more physical on the defensive side of the ball is the organization’s top priority. Being that type of defense plays to his strengths.”

I sarcastically informed Florence via Twitter Thursday evening of my offer to wager a bucket of chicken wings that Buddy lands him on day one of free agency. In what should be a major clue to everyone of what’s to come, Florence responded by writing (http://twitter.com/DraytonFlorence/status/91708913254285312) “no bet my agent already told me the plan but we can eat at the big tree and discuss the new direction of bills nation.”

I like my wings medium-hot, big guy.

As we reported earlier this month, other than finding a veteran quarterback the Bills will use free agency primarily as a vehicle to re-sign and extend their own talent as opposed to a spending spree on players from other teams. The team will also work hard to bring Paul Posluszny back. Fellow free agent to-be Donte Whitner will move on to another team.

Florence, who signed with Buffalo in 2009, thought his days (http://twitter.com/#%21/DraytonFlorence/status/64093201417519104) in Buffalo were over after the Bills used a second-round pick in April to select cornerback Aaron Williams. Turns out, he may have reacted in haste at the time. I’m told in no uncertain terms the tabbing of Williams had nothing to do with Nix’s lack of desire to re-sign Florence, who has four interceptions and a pair of defensive touchdowns during his two-year Buffalo tenure.

Of course, both sides would have to come to an agreement for a deal to happen, and Florence would be foolish to not listen to other offers. But barring something unexpected, Florence will be back in the fold for Buffalo in 2011 and beyond.

Blame Canada
07-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Buddy said this publicly earlier

patmoran2006
07-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Buddy said this publicly earlier
That Florence was going to re-sign with the Bills? To my knowledge, he said he'd still like to have him back in his post-draft presser.

BTW, where ya been man. I love reading up on your scoops.

DraftBoy
07-14-2011, 11:18 PM
No huge shock, but also a little bit of a head scratcher.

Williams must be a S for us, just dont see him as a SS which is a slight issue.

patmoran2006
07-14-2011, 11:21 PM

I don't think so (Williams). I think Williams is going to be the corner, a slot corner with Florence and McKelvin on the outside and Corner the fourth guy.

I think this means McGee is in big trouble.

patmoran2006

BTW, good luck with the site. I'll definitely promote ya guys, looking forward to reading it.

Slim
If there is a "cap floor", the Bills will have HAVE to spend a ton of cash. I expect him and Poz back.

patmoran2006
07-14-2011, 11:22 PM
If there is a "cap floor", the Bills will have HAVE to spend a ton of cash. I expect him and Poz back.

You can expect him back (and Poz) regardless.

DraftBoy
07-14-2011, 11:24 PM
I don't think so (Williams). I think Williams is going to be the corner, a slot corner with Florence and McKelvin on the outside and Corner the fourth guy.

Also means you took a guy in Round 7 who arguably has the best ball hawking skills of any of our current CB's but won't see the field due to way too much depth.

Williams is a better fit at FS overall, his hips aren't good enough for NFL caliber CB, imo. But we have Byrd at FS, at least for now.

DraftBoy
07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
BTW, good luck with the site. I'll definitely promote ya guys, looking forward to reading it.

Appreciate it, Ill have a bigger announcement on Monday when we launch. Going to be a lot of fun. We'll have to do some co-op work if we can make it work.

better days
07-14-2011, 11:28 PM

I'm thinking the same.

Blame Canada
07-14-2011, 11:55 PM
That Florence was going to re-sign with the Bills? To my knowledge, he said he'd still like to have him back in his post-draft presser.

I guess we didn't know draytonflorence would resign but it was made clear that the bills want him back.

I haven't been around here much because I haven't had a lot to share with this lockout. I'm sure once free agency starts I'll hear some tidbits and try to share with you guys.

theanswer74
07-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Why do Bills fans believe this?

The bills have to sign FLorence, Poz, rookies, extend Stevie Johnson, maybe even get Fitz locked up to decent deal where he can be either the starter or the backup of the future.

After that the Bills will be well over the floor. They dont have that far to go as it is.

Coach Sal
07-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I have no doubt this is right and have felt all along he would at least e given a fair offer to return, but I do have a question regarding your report. And, please, don't take this as a "doubt" or criticism of what you wrote, but.......

the quote you have from your source doesn't really say anything about expecting him to resign with the team, or even for the team to make an offer, for that matter. And I do agree his tweet back to you insinuates he himself expects to at least get an offer. But this quote just states that Flo fits what they've been building so far. It reads as if it's just another person in the media speculating he'll be back based upon what he could provide to the team:

“He’s a strong, physical corner that is an asset not just in the passing game but against the run,” the source said. “As you can tell by the guys (the Bills) drafted, being stronger and more physical on the defensive side of the ball is the organization’s top priority. Being that type of defense plays to his strengths.”

I've had the same conversations with others in the media over the past couple months. So, like I said, it makes sense and I have no doubt they will attempt to resign him. But my question is is there an actual source from inside either the Bills or Flo's camp that told you to expect him to be back? If so, awesome! But this quote above really didn't say that to me and I'd like to know myself. I like Flo a lot and would love to have him back.

Slim
07-15-2011, 12:21 AM

The bills have to sign FLorence, Poz, rookies, extend Stevie Johnson, maybe even get Fitz locked up to decent deal where he can be either the starter or the backup of the future.

After that the Bills will be well over the floor. They dont have that far to go as it is.

Dude, there are plenty of reasons why I "believe this", and the Bills should absolutely hold their cash on Stevie and Fitz for now. Unless Stevie is willing to sign a conservative deal. Flo and Poz MIGHT cost the Bill's 8-10 million this season. So the Bills would have to spend some more money.

As far as Stevie goes, he's a decent kid. I grew up around professional athletes, a lot of people on the board know this. My brother owns a wealth management firm and a lot his clients are athletes. One of them is Syracuse's own Mike Williams, who despite having "red flags" out of Syracuse, is a good kid. He's still a massive Bills fan by the way. In Tampa, the player who got the game-ball the previous week get's to choose what games are played in the locker room the following week, and multiple times last here he pissed off the Bucs locker room by having them put the Bills game on. Any way, he went out with Stevie a few weeks ago and told me he'll never do it again, and that the majority of Stevie's friends are gang affiliated. And while Stevie is a nice kid, and he's never been in trouble, I'd hold off until after the season starts to even start talking contract with him. Trust me on this.

Mr. Pink
07-15-2011, 02:47 AM
McGee should have been giving his walking papers the day we switched from a Cover2 base to the 3-4. Good zone corner, not so good man corner.

X-Era
07-15-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm fine with it. But if he wants to be our starter I want those penalties to come way down. He was a penalty machine last year.

X-Era
07-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Williams + Florence may make McKelvin expendable... anyone smell trade possibilities?

wmoz11
07-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Good news. I love McGee but he just can't stay healthy anymore.

better days
07-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Williams + Florence may make McKelvin expendable... anyone smell trade possibilities?

I would rather trade McGee than McKelvin myself. McKelvin is much younger & has more upside than McGee.

X-Era
07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
I would rather trade McGee than McKelvin myself. McKelvin is much younger & has more upside than McGee.McGee would bring less than McKelvin for the reasons you stated.

DraftBoy
07-15-2011, 07:31 AM

You dont think that may be giving up on McKelvin just a wee bit early?

TigerJ
07-15-2011, 08:04 AM
No surprise here. Williams was not drafted to be a Florence replacement, but rather to be part of the trend to get bigger and tougher on defense. Terrence McGee is not a big corner. He may start this (not a given) but the Bills know he's in the twilight of his career as a Bill. McKelvin may be part of the mix going forward if he can get his act together. He's a little bigger than McGee.

Ed
07-15-2011, 10:18 AM
This isn't too much of a surprise and I'm glad Florence will be back. I never thought the drafting of Williams meant he wasn't coming back either. Gailey said himself this offseason that it's hard to find good CB's and you never have enough.

So Pat, you don't think the Bills will be very active in free agency? I would think with our lack of talent and all the free agents available this year that there would be a few good players out there that Nix likes.

better days
07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
McGee would bring less than McKelvin for the reasons you stated.

I would rather get a 6th for McGee than a 4th for McKelvin myself.

EDS
07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
I would rather get a 6th for McGee than a 4th for McKelvin myself.

I would rather keep McGee than gain a 6th round pick.

OpIv37
07-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I would rather keep McGee than gain a 6th round pick.

McGee is done. He can't stay healthy and he's going to walk as soon as his contract is done. I like the guy, but unfortunately he adds little value to the team at this point.

And great news on Florence. He's quietly been one of the better players on this team over the last two years, and while that isn't saying much, we need him due to McGee's age/health and McKelvin's shortcomings.

delectrolux
07-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Well, I haven't been able to find concrete numbers, but from what I can find - the Bills are at about $96M in current cap hit for 2011. The projected Salary Cap will be around $120M which means the cap floor will be around $108M, which leaves the Bills with about $12M in cap hit that they HAVE to take on. So yeah, that will be quickly taken up by current free agents and rookies.

Extremebillsfan247
07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm fully expecting the Bills to make offers to Florence, Posluszny, and Whitner. Now, whether we get all 3 back is unknown, but it's a possibility. I'm hearing each club will be allotted 72 hours once the lockout is lifted to get first crack at trying to resign their players before they hit the open market. If the Bills fail in signing these 3 within that time frame, I'm expecting this team to lose at least 2 of them to other teams. It should be an interesting ride once the lockout ends. JMO

justasportsfan
07-15-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm fully expecting the Bills to make offers to Florence, Posluszny, and Whitner.
I think they either let Whitner walk or offer him to a low ball offer.

Demon
07-15-2011, 02:31 PM

He was locked out, duh. lol

Extremebillsfan247
07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I think they either let Whitner walk or offer him to a low ball offer.

What I think is that they will pretty much keep the same offer on the table that was presented to him the last time which caused his twitter outburst. More than likely he is going to turn it down. If I had to guess on percentage based on what I know, I think Poz probably has the best chance at returning as a Bill in 2011, I would say that sits at 50/50. I'd put Florence at about 46/54. Whitner is more like 35/65.

A board member recently posted something like "We will find out how good this front office really is" and that poster is right. With a limited window to get them under contract, the heat will definitely be on Nix n Company. Florence has to be their first and biggest target. If he hits the open market, he isn't coming back. Whitner may prove to be his own worst enemy this year trying to look for the super contract in a bad year for it, with a short time frame, and a lot of free agents on the market. Poz I think, genuinely wants to be back, so he is likely to be the first of the 3 with a new Bills contract in my opinion.

patmoran2006
07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
John Murphy is reporting the same this evening about Florence,.

Of course, Murph will be the one who broke the story to 99.9% of Bills fans. Thats how it goes

Demon
07-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Of course, Murph will be the one who broke the story to 99.9% of Bills fans. Thats how it goes

He's just the trusted voice but def a thumbs up for you Pat.

more cowbell
07-15-2011, 04:16 PM
used to love mcgee...but he is completely done. He will not be on the team this season, and that's why we drafted aaron williams

madness
07-15-2011, 09:01 PM
We drafted Williams to lock down the slot.

OpIv37
07-15-2011, 10:00 PM
used to love mcgee...but he is completely done. He will not be on the team this season, and that's why we drafted aaron williams

I agree that he's done, but I have a feeling they will keep him around for another year or so.

wmoz11
07-15-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree that he's done, but I have a feeling they will keep him around for another year or so.
Right. First, he's a valuable veteran for these younger guys (even McKelvin). Second, with the injury problems this team has encountered the last handful of years, he's going to see a lot of important snaps.

Probably will regardless.

Luisito23
07-16-2011, 07:52 AM
McGee is a good backup at best, they need to get rid of that contract...Florence on the other hand is a decent corner who a lot of teams would like to have, him staying makes perfect sense for everybody.

wmoz11
07-16-2011, 08:34 AM

Pat, you've been linked on PFT.com for your story. Congrats!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/16/saturday-morning-one-liners-116/

djjimkelly
07-16-2011, 02:14 PM
bottom line we resign florence and somehow get a pass rush the bills D could be decent

i think merrimen will be back to form no testing during lockout we all know his history hes gonna make a big splash this season

djjimkelly
07-16-2011, 02:15 PM
and we will finally have enough cbs to match up with the patriots i hope we keep them all

just need to get more pressure up front dareus and merrimen need to play the way they can

Michael82
07-17-2011, 01:44 AM
This is great news! IMO, he was the best CB last year and can stay and groom Williams to take over in a couple years. McGee can't stay healthy and is the odd man out. I like the secondary a lot so far...

CBs: McKelvin, Florence, Williams, Corner, Rogers
S: Wilson, Byrd, Searcy, Scott

YardRat
07-17-2011, 09:38 AM
This is great speculation!

Fixed.

X-Era
07-18-2011, 03:54 PM
You dont think that may be giving up on McKelvin just a wee bit early?All a matter of what they would get in return. Personally? Yes. I like McKelvin and want us to keep him. I wouldn't mind resigning Florence but as I said, he was a penalty machine last year.

X-Era
07-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, I haven't been able to find concrete numbers, but from what I can find - the Bills are at about $96M in current cap hit for 2011. The projected Salary Cap will be around $120M which means the cap floor will be around $108M, which leaves the Bills with about $12M in cap hit that they HAVE to take on. So yeah, that will be quickly taken up by current free agents and rookies.I think the floor may be more north of 108... could be more like 114. Also, it'snot clear to me whether the 96 mill in salary includes Stroud or not.