A big jump for Troup and Carrington in Year 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

There’s a common perception that the majority of NFL players make their greatest gains from their first to their second year in the league. The benefit of a full NFL offseason combined with the knowledge gained after taking their lumps as rookies and fighting through their first 16-game schedule usually has them poised to raise their game a few notches. After getting time on the field as rookies, Buffalo’s defensive staff is hopeful that perception becomes reality for Torell Troup and Alex Carrington.

Bills defensive line coach Giff Smith believes that both Troup and Carrington have bring futures and stand a very good chance of being fixtures in Buffalo’s defensive front for years to come. Troup was largely a rotational player as a rookie appearing in 15 games including a pair of starts. The grind of his first NFL season however, took a toll on his body.

“He had an issue with his back and hamstrings during his rookie season,” said Smith.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: A big jump for Troup and Carrington in Year 2?

Troup set out this offseason to eliminate those nagging physical problems with a rigorous workout regimen. By his own account he is a chiseled 325 pounds adding 11 pounds of muscle to his frame from last season.

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

Troup will be are Defense most improved player...
      And Shawn Nelson will be the offense most improved player IMO.....
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by tampabay25690
        Troup will be are Defense most improved player...
        And Shawn Nelson will be the offense most improved player IMO.....
        As a long time migraine sufferer myself, Nelson's condition is the only thing that scares me about his potential.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by madness
          As a long time migraine sufferer myself, Nelson's condition is the only thing that scares me about his potential.
          I have read he found a treatment for that & he hasn't had one in quite a while.

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by better days
            I have read he found a treatment for that & he hasn't had one in quite a while.
            Great news. I'll feel more comfortable once I see him with the stress of the regular season on his shoulders. High stress levels can override all of that.

Comment

• mayotm
              • Jul 2003

I definitely expect both Troup and Carrington to contribute this year. However, I don't have any expectations for Nelson. I hope I'm wrong about Nelson, but he just hasn't shown enough to expect anything from him. Some will use his injuries and health as an excuse, but potential doesn't mean anything if you can't stay on the field.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by justasportsfan

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...3-a1ca0ce23074
                No one really knows of course what effect this lockout will have on that process of development. I think most can agree though that there will be some lingering drawbacks this year that will definitely redefine what is, and what isn't needed to prepare for an NFL season.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

I don't think we'll see much of a jump on either of these two guys because for some unknown reason the coaching staff decided not to allow either to take their lumps last year and get even a half a season worth of playing time and experience.

Hopefully they're allowed to take their lumps this year so that maybe we can see a jump in their play next season.

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                    I don't think we'll see much of a jump on either of these two guys because for some unknown reason the coaching staff decided not to allow either to take their lumps last year and get even a half a season worth of playing time and experience.

Hopefully they're allowed to take their lumps this year so that maybe we can see a jump in their play next season.
                    I don't see either as starters this year so tome that's the biggest reason we won't see a big jump.

I think your starting DL will be Dareus-Williams-Edwards. Troup will be a starter in a 4-3... Dareus-Williams-Troup-Edwards

Comment

• Bangarang
                      • Sep 2010

Troup played in 15 games last season..

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era
                        I don't see either as starters this year so tome that's the biggest reason we won't see a big jump.

I think your starting DL will be Dareus-Williams-Edwards. Troup will be a starter in a 4-3... Dareus-Williams-Troup-Edwards
                        They have said Dareus will go to DT when the Bills play 4-3 so maybe Carrington-Dareus-Williams-Edwards.

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

You may be right that we won't see much of a jump, but they got more playing time than most rookie 3-4 DL. Just one example, Ahtyba Rubin on your favorite team barely played at all his rookie year before tearing it up in his sophomore campaign. Aubrayo Franklin played in 7 games his first two years in the league - only one of those in his rookie season.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Suh is the exception but most all DL seem to have a steep learning curve year 1.

Many spend the rookie campaign redoing their physical makeup, in addition to digesting the playbook and come out looking far better in year 2. Even Dareus will have his warts this coming fall.

Not making any predictions but both Troup and Carrington did show some flashes to warrant long term hope.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                              Suh is the exception but most all DL seem to have a steep learning curve year 1.

agree.

With all the hype surrounding Dareus, I doubt he makes an impact as huge as Suh did in his rookie year. guys like Troup , Carrington have to step up bigtime for this D to get anywhere.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X