• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Prepare for fast and furious chaos

When free agency hits were talking about a reported record breaking UFA class size, teams having to spend to meet the new cap floor, and a month or more of signings compressed into a few days before FA.

It's going to be crazy.

The Bills, reportedly, will need to spend 19+ mill of new salary to meet the new cap floor. The new cap will reportedly be set at 120 mill with a cap floor at 90+ %. Rumor is pro-rated SB's will still be allowed.

All this likely means a few new faces in Buff and some lost sleep for Nix.

Bring it on.

• trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Prepare for fast and furious chaos

kelsay and agent are getting excited for a $19mm signing bonus for an additional 3 years.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
      kelsay and agent are getting excited for a $19mm signing bonus for an additional 3 years.
      Either that, or we piss the money away to keep Whitner and Poz.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
        Hey, new money can be spent on dumb moves... I never said we would spend it wisely.

If I had to predict I would say:

Poz- resigned
        Florence- resigned
        LB- signed
        RT- signed

Dareus- 5 years 30 mill

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Dansby is one of the, if not the, highest paid ILB's at 8.6 mill per. So, I think Poz can be had for 5-7 mill per.

ESPN's John Clayton has more details on Karlos Dansby's lucrative contract with the Miami Dolphins.Dansby never has been selected to a Pro Bowl, yet he becomes the NFL's highest-paid inside linebacker with a five-year deal worth $43 million.

Florence may be tougher to gage. I would think 3-4 mill per maybe. His last contract was for 3.3 mill per... I can't see it being much more now.

I think locking up both may be done for under 9 mill in cap money this year... which leaves 10+ that has to be spent.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Don't forget Stroud was cut and he was signed to 4 years and 28 mill in 2009... if it's equal across all years that's 7 mill back.

Comment

• Raptor
              • Jan 2009

I expect Poz and DF to be resigned

One FA that we can expect to start, Im thinking hoping its a guy like Clabo

The Rookies to be signed

Then the rest spent on Low level FA's, camp fodder, and Extensions to current players

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Raptor
                I expect Poz and DF to be resigned

One FA that we can expect to start, Im thinking hoping its a guy like Clabo

The Rookies to be signed

Then the rest spent on Low level FA's, camp fodder, and Extensions to current players
                Possible but what your describing may not be enough to get us to the cap floor.

I mean were talking about big money and you have to spend it.

Comment

• Raptor
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by X-Era
                  Possible but what your describing may not be enough to get us to the cap floor.

I mean were talking about big money and you have to spend it.
                  Sure it will

You said 19 million

Poz and DF chopped at min 7 mil off that

Dareus will likely do another 3 mil

the other rookies combined will do another 3 mil prob

Leaving 6 mil before FA'cy even begins. Signing a Starting RT will be at least 4 mil and likely 5

leaving 1-2 million to get to the floor and that can easily be attained with camp fodder and the extension of current players

I just dont expect to be big spenders at all in FA'cy because that would go against everything Nix has ever said about FA'cy and how he wants to build this team. I expect one FA starter and the obvious spot for that would be RT because that is as it stands now the biggest gapping hole in this roster right now

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Raptor
                    Sure it will

You said 19 million

Poz and DF chopped at min 7 mil off that

Dareus will likely do another 3 mil

the other rookies combined will do another 3 mil prob

Leaving 6 mil before FA'cy even begins. Signing a Starting RT will be at least 4 mil and likely 5

leaving 1-2 million to get to the floor and that can easily be attained with camp fodder and the extension of current players

I just dont expect to be big spenders at all in FA'cy because that would go against everything Nix has ever said about FA'cy and how he wants to build this team. I expect one FA starter and the obvious spot for that would be RT because that is as it stands now the biggest gapping hole in this roster right now
                    19+

I'm throwing out conservative numbers. I have seen figures as low as 82 mill in salary for the Bills and I have seen figures as high as almost 100% for the salary cap floor.

"Best" case scenario, depending on your point of view, could be 120 mill needs to be our salary and were at 82 mill. That means 38 mill in new spending.

That's why I said you proposal "may" not get you there.

Comment

• Buddo
                      • Mar 2007

If we re-sign Florence, he's going to get $4-5 million per.
                      Poz will get $5-6 million if he's re-done.
                      We will also be signing a vet backup QB, who will likely come in at around $2.5 - 3 million per, depending on who it is.
                      If we do sign a RT, he will also likely command around $5-6 million per.
                      At the high end, that's $19 million, and we will probably be at the high end tbh.

For all the talk of a rookie cap, it's still not going to be cheap to sign Dareus.
                      My guess would be that he's likely going to get in the region of around $4 million per, but I could be quite wrong there. ATM, nobody knows how hard they are going to be with the 1st round picks, especially in the top 10.

FA will probably consist of teams getting their own guys re-signed first up. The next stage will be guys who they have targeted, who will be the ones who can make some money. After that, the pool is so big, that there will be a lot of decent players available at moderate 'prices'. The problem then becomes finding the right guys to fill the holes you have, which isn't always that simple. It becomes a bit like the draft, you have to have talent at the positions you need it.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Buddo
                        If we re-sign Florence, he's going to get $4-5 million per.
                        Poz will get $5-6 million if he's re-done.
                        We will also be signing a vet backup QB, who will likely come in at around $2.5 - 3 million per, depending on who it is.
                        If we do sign a RT, he will also likely command around $5-6 million per.
                        At the high end, that's $19 million, and we will probably be at the high end tbh.

For all the talk of a rookie cap, it's still not going to be cheap to sign Dareus.
                        My guess would be that he's likely going to get in the region of around $4 million per, but I could be quite wrong there. ATM, nobody knows how hard they are going to be with the 1st round picks, especially in the top 10.

FA will probably consist of teams getting their own guys re-signed first up. The next stage will be guys who they have targeted, who will be the ones who can make some money. After that, the pool is so big, that there will be a lot of decent players available at moderate 'prices'. The problem then becomes finding the right guys to fill the holes you have, which isn't always that simple. It becomes a bit like the draft, you have to have talent at the positions you need it.
                        I wouldn't be shocked if we don't resign Florence. We just drafted Williams and Rogers and we McGee and McKelvin plus Corner.

We will see what the Bills really have to spend after the new deal's details come out such as the cap floor. I'd expect Buff News or someone to do a piece on how it applies to us.
                        Last edited by X-Era; 07-18-2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Friday will be the big day. This weekend the Bills will be furiously trying hard to retain both Florence and Poz. That will take up a big chunk of their cap money.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

This says 96.4 mill was the 2011 Bills salary as of Feb 7th... Stroud was cut in Feb 16th...

I just reached into the NFC South mailbag to start reading the post-Super Bowl notes. I’ll come back with some hot spots later this afternoon, but one note caught my attention because it’s worthy of an individual post.

So that's high already.

Stroud was supposed to make 4.5 in base salary.

But ESPN shows he would have made 8.25 a year

The Buffalo Bills officially declared last year's trade for defensive tackle Marcus Stroud a success by giving him a two-year contract extension worth $8.25 million a year, a source said.

At 8.25, we would then be at 88.15. At 4.5 we would be at 91.9 in salary for 2011.

Still need to hear the final cap floor %.

So, best case, were at 88.15 and need to reach 120... thats 31.85 in new money
                            worst case, were at 91.9 and need to reach 108 (90% cap floor)... thats 16.1 in new money
                            Last edited by X-Era; 07-18-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                              This says 96.4 mill was the 2011 Bills salary as of Feb 7th... Stroud was cut in Feb 16th...

I just reached into the NFC South mailbag to start reading the post-Super Bowl notes. I’ll come back with some hot spots later this afternoon, but one note caught my attention because it’s worthy of an individual post.

So that's high already.

Stroud was supposed to make 4.5 in base salary.

But ESPN shows he would have made 8.25 a year

The Buffalo Bills officially declared last year's trade for defensive tackle Marcus Stroud a success by giving him a two-year contract extension worth $8.25 million a year, a source said.

At 8.25, we would then be at 88.15. At 4.5 we would be at 91.9 in salary for 2011.

Still need to hear the final cap floor %.

So, best case, were at 88.15 and need to reach 120... thats 31.85 in new money
                              worst case, were at 91.9 and need to reach 108 (90% cap floor)... thats 16.1 in new money
                              You still arent figuring out that between Poz and Florence and some other future FAs...the Bills will use most of that cap money, especially with cash to the cap. Plus they will need some for the draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X