PDA

View Full Version : Sekera, Ellis signed

Philagape
07-19-2011, 01:22 PM
The #Sabres have announced that Andrej Sekera & Matt Ellis have each agreed to multi-year contracts with Buffalo. More details to follow.

trapezeus
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
so who is getting pushed out aside from kotalik and morrison?

they need to make more room.

SabreEleven
07-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Why do they need more room? Weren't they 1 million under w/ Kotalik and Morrison, with them in the minors they will be 6 unter.

SabreEleven
07-19-2011, 01:59 PM
They were 300k under with Kotalik and Morrison, they are fine.

OpIv37
07-19-2011, 02:57 PM
It's Kotalik and Morissonn- does anyone really care if one of them gets forced out?

trapezeus
07-19-2011, 03:07 PM
i thought they were still 10% over the cap and need to get rid of like $6MM which comes primarly from kots and morrisson.

but with additional players signing deals, the team could be over.

i still the think they are making a move for one more legit top 6 player for offense. i think they want even steven top 6 that can be interchanged as needed vs having a superstar line and then 3 lines that are less than that.

i can't figure out if they will keep roy in the top 6 or get another center and then push roy down to 3 and give him time to rehab and just be a lethal third line player.

chernobylwraiths
07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
They are over the cap, but have players that they can send down which wouldn't count against their cap and would put them under.

I still think there will be a cost cutting deal made. Maybe trading Boyes, or maybe Pomminville might take longer to heal than everyone thinks.

chernobylwraiths
07-19-2011, 07:06 PM
and a 4 year deal for 11 million is a crapload for Sekera.

trapezeus
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
i still think we have too many wings and not enough quality centers.

vanek leino stafford
poms roy ennis
gerbe gaustad mccormick
boyes adam ellis
Hecht Kaleta
Kassian Foligno <--- as up and comers...they could both verywell be 3rd and 4th line players

if you can move pominville, you make some more cap room to maybe acquire a center to keep adam developing, gaustad to 4 where he belongs and make roy a dangerous option on the third line or have leino go to the third line and just have 3 really good centers that can rotate between 1, 2 and 3.

SkateZilla
07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I think regier said all he has left to sign is Enroth.

OpIv37
07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
i still think we have too many wings and not enough quality centers.

vanek leino stafford
poms roy ennis
gerbe gaustad mccormick
boyes adam ellis
Hecht Kaleta
Kassian Foligno <--- as up and comers...they could both verywell be 3rd and 4th line players

if you can move pominville, you make some more cap room to maybe acquire a center to keep adam developing, gaustad to 4 where he belongs and make roy a dangerous option on the third line or have leino go to the third line and just have 3 really good centers that can rotate between 1, 2 and 3.

First, having Roy on the 3rd line is a pipe dream. We're two top-notch centers away from that, and even if we could find them, they wouldn't fit under the cap.

Second, I agree that we lack centers but I think we all set our expectations too high with Pegula. I mean, since taking over, he added Boyes, ditched Rivet, promoted Enroth, signed Leino, and traded for Erhoff and and Regher.

The D was significantly upgraded, the offense was slightly upgraded, and if we lock up Enroth, then back-up goalie is upgraded too. I would have loved to have improved at C as well, but there is only so much that can be done in one trade deadline and one off-season.

Jan Reimers
07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I think regier said all he has left to sign is Enroth.
How about Gragnani?

trapezeus
07-20-2011, 12:54 PM
First, having Roy on the 3rd line is a pipe dream. We're two top-notch centers away from that, and even if we could find them, they wouldn't fit under the cap.

Second, I agree that we lack centers but I think we all set our expectations too high with Pegula. I mean, since taking over, he added Boyes, ditched Rivet, promoted Enroth, signed Leino, and traded for Erhoff and and Regher.

The D was significantly upgraded, the offense was slightly upgraded, and if we lock up Enroth, then back-up goalie is upgraded too. I would have loved to have improved at C as well, but there is only so much that can be done in one trade deadline and one off-season.

i get what you are saying, but there are too many wing options at this point at high salaries that callups could fill. Move some money to pick one more center and keep adam in development. it'll move goose back to the 4th line. and it will give kassian and foligno a chance to push up to the team.

if they don't do anything, i suggest the sabres play hecht and kaleta in week 1. they should have long term injuries by the end of that week. that is also another way to solve the problem.

Ebenezer
07-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Kassian and Foligno won't see the light of day.

SkateZilla
07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
How about Gragnani?

i think he said both should be signed by the end of the week,

which leaves neids, grier, and McCauley, Lalime retires (thank god)

:gosabres:

trapezeus
07-21-2011, 09:23 AM
how can you say kassian won't see the light of day? the buzz on him is that he'll get a shot to show his stuff. add him to a gritty defense and miller might have a season better than any other.

Ebenezer
07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
how can you say kassian won't see the light of day? the buzz on him is that he'll get a shot to show his stuff. add him to a gritty defense and miller might have a season better than any other.

I can say it quite easily. The guy has Brad May written all over him. He wasn't even the best Sabres prospect, on his own team, at the World Jr's.

SkateZilla
07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Regier said that he expects Koats to make the team, which means someone else will be going to Rochester.

would be a nice homecoming for him in rochester though.

Ginger Vitis
07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
The guy has Brad May written all over him.

I don't think Kassian makes the Sabres this year but at the World Jr championships he was playing on Canadas 1st line before he was suspended..He should get more goals and points than Brad May ever did