PDA

View Full Version : can ray edwards stand up in a 3-4?

WillsFromThaU21
07-19-2011, 06:04 PM
In the shopping guide for the afc it shows if we want to spead the big bucks we should go after ray edwards because he would be a perfect fit....does anyone out there believe he can stand up and play in a 3-4 defense? here goes the link to the article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/john_lopez/07/19/afc-free-agency-guide/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

X-Era
07-19-2011, 06:16 PM
In the shopping guide for the afc it shows if we want to spead the big bucks we should go after ray edwards because he would be a perfect fit....does anyone out there believe he can stand up and play in a 3-4 defense? here goes the link to the article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/john_lopez/07/19/afc-free-agency-guide/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2I'd go for someone like Charles Johnson for that role.

WillsFromThaU21
07-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I like that option better than ray Edwards...I couldn't really see ray Edwards standing up in a 3-4...now Charles Johnson I can....same build as a lamarr woodley...maybe same production?

Luisito23
07-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I agree. Charles Johnson is much better fitted for that role, although I wouldn't get my hopes up on him producing the same as Woodley.

Night Train
07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
I would think OT, OLB & backup QB would be the priorities.

X-Era
07-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I would think OT, OLB & backup QB would be the priorities.I agree.

I think we land a decent, but not stud RT. I could then see a OLB but probably not big money and a backup QB like a Troy Smith.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
ray edwards will cost to much money...

WillsFromThaU21
07-19-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm not saying I want ray edwards on the team. I just saw the article and was wondering how he's a perfect fit and we run a 3-4 scheme...now Charles Johnson I wouldn't mind at all

Mahdi
07-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Neither Johnson or Edwards are your typical OLB. Both are big, physical ends that can get to the QB with power. They are not very agile which will show up when you ask them to drop in coverage against a back or TE.

However they give you that added physicality and if you scheme properly you can hide their deficiencies as the Ravens do with Johnson.

All that being said, not sure its wise to pay 8-10 mil a season to a guy who is not really a fit or has a deficiency as it applies to your scheme. Even if he brings a redeeming quality to your defense, if they can't play 3 downs why pay them a huge contract?

BertSquirtgum
07-19-2011, 10:40 PM
i would rather the bills go after an offensive lineman.

WillsFromThaU21
07-19-2011, 11:22 PM
we pay kelsay all the money to play olb....what did he really do ??? Charles Johnson is way more physically gifted than kelsay....woodley....orakpo ....hali aren't schemed to cover TE's their job is to get to the QB....kelsay doesn't do that...why not pay Charles Johnson to so that ?

X-Era
07-20-2011, 06:12 AM
The problem with Charles Johnson is the Panthers have the most cap room in the league and will have to spend big money. Johnson is reportedly at the top of their to do list. KC has plenty to resign Tamba Hali too.

X-Era
07-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Detroit is fairly close to the cap and Cliff Avril is a UFA
NYG is over the cap and Kiwi is a UFA

But both may be better suited as DE in a 4-3.

What may be more likely is to see what Merriman, Maybin, and Moats can do and sign someone who is better against the run... maybe James Anderson. If the need the pass rushing 3-4 OLB after next year they may go after it in the draft.

WillsFromThaU21
07-20-2011, 07:37 AM
do u think kelsay will start this year? can we have moats on one side and merriman on the other? lol or maybe even a maricle and have maybin on the other side of merriman ?

Mahdi
07-20-2011, 08:31 AM
we pay kelsay all the money to play olb....what did he really do ??? Charles Johnson is way more physically gifted than kelsay....woodley....orakpo ....hali aren't schemed to cover TE's their job is to get to the QB....kelsay doesn't do that...why not pay Charles Johnson to so that ?
My point is, why not pay a guy 10 mil who can do everything required of the defense and not have to hide him in certain situations. Why not get a Woodley or Harrison and pay them instead.

WillsFromThaU21
07-20-2011, 09:05 AM
if woodley because an unrestricted FA with the new CBA I'm all for going after woodley....1st thing needs to happen is for him no be Unrestricted...let's not forget he was franchised under the old CBA and may remain that way with the new CBA

Mahdi
07-20-2011, 10:14 AM
if woodley because an unrestricted FA with the new CBA I'm all for going after woodley....1st thing needs to happen is for him no be Unrestricted...let's not forget he was franchised under the old CBA and may remain that way with the new CBA
I know we are never going to get Woodley, just saying if we spend that kind of money it should be on a player who is a fit in the defense.

The Jokeman
07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I know we are never going to get Woodley, just saying if we spend that kind of money it should be on a player who is a fit in the defense.
You're right Woodley's the prize in free agency this year. No way the Bills could/would ever land him. Yet there's one thing I don't think we have to worry with Nix and crew is finding guys who fit this defense. As it appear through their drafting and last year's offseason they do understand the type of player needed for a 3-4, now it's just a matter of getting the playmakers.