PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency talk

X-Era
07-20-2011, 06:42 AM
Forked from: can ray edwards stand up in a 3-4? (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3488086)

Detroit is fairly close to the cap and Cliff Avril is a UFA
NYG is over the cap and Kiwi is a UFA

But both may be better suited as DE in a 4-3.

What may be more likely is to see what Merriman, Maybin, and Moats can do and sign someone who is better against the run... maybe James Anderson. If the need the pass rushing 3-4 OLB after next year they may go after it in the draft.

Here's a report saying Dallas may cut Keith Brooking or Bradie James or both

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/28443/chat-wrap-possible-cowboys-cuts

Bradie James might be interesting

Marc Colombo is also mentioned... personally not a big fan.

Who do you think we might see?

DraftBoy
07-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Chaos...mass chaos.

tampabay25690
07-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Hard to say but what DB said it correct.
I think it will be crazy...
Talks here in Tampa are how are they going to spend $50 mill or up to $70 mill this season...
Glazer's are cheap.....
I would say Freeman might as well get long termed now.....

methos4ever
07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I think that Barnett may be let go from GB, and he would be a good fit at ILB as well alongside (or instead of in case of signing elsewhere) Poz.

psubills62
07-20-2011, 09:14 AM
It would be nice if those rumors last offseason about the Bills being interested in Jared Gaither were true and they went after him. Certainly not counting on it though.

However, I do wonder how "inactive" the Bills will actually be, considering they are almost guaranteed to sign a vet QB, and I have to imagine they'll sign one or two other guys.

Night Train
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I'd rather they concentrate on some solid OT help and the needed backup QB.

OLB is fine.. if it's a young guy with most of his career still ahead of him. Bills need to build with youth, meaning the recent aquisitions through the draft and FA. If that means playing newer/unknown young guys like Moats, Coleman, Batten etc., then do it and see what they have. Bills are not contending for a playoff spot this year. Let's get real.

Outside of QB, that apllies to every other position with question marks. Play the young guys and develop a solid core that could be effective for several seasons.

Tom Donahoe kept bringing in "name" guys and the Bills still wallowed in mediocrity with poor/directionless coaching. Gailey has his ***** together and the young guys like him. Lets do it right for once. Build with youth and a sprinkle of veterans.

psubills62
07-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Oh and yes, I do like the idea of Cliff Avril at OLB.

trapezeus
07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
i still don't think we need to waste money on a back up QB. we have backup QB's as our starter. if he gets hurt, let levi run us into the ground. we'll get the best pick, maybe luck, and then we'll have fitz to sign backup and start another season.

I don't get what signing a backup worse than fitz but better than levi really yields us.

But if we can find some mroe OL help and some more LB's in free agency, we may be getting more depth and give our running game more of a chance.

cookie G
07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
A decent veteran back up QB is always welcome.

OL is such a must it need not be mentioned.

justasportsfan
07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
i still don't think we need to waste money on a back up QB. we have backup QB's as our starter. if he gets hurt, let levi run us into the ground. we'll get the best pick, maybe luck, and then we'll have fitz to sign backup and start another season.

Are we back to tanking the season for a high draft pick? why don't we just start Parrish at qb then?

ddaryl
07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I find the chaos to be quite exhilarating.

We all are jonsing for some football, we're about to get a tidal wave of it...

OT, TE and a backup QB for the O

LB upgrade(s) on D (resign Poz, Florence)

The Jokeman
07-20-2011, 11:09 AM
A decent veteran back up QB is always welcome.

OL is such a must it need not be mentioned.
The QB list is horrible per http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2011. Bulger's the only "name" and am sure he'll go elsewhere for a starting job. Tyler Thingpen because of his history with Chan seems a decent guy to pursue as he is a backup and does have some starting experience.

To me it's vital we find a veteran/potential QB. I don't mind Thigpen, Tavaraes Jackson is an interesting name too. We also need some help at LB and while he's far from great don't like the idea of losing Poz as he was one of the few bright spots we have on D. Zach Miller at TE be great but not sure we'd pursue him as Gailey seems to favor blocking TEs in his offenses.

cookie G
07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
The QB list is horrible per http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2011. Bulger's the only "name" and am sure he'll go elsewhere for a starting job. Tyler Thingpen because of his history with Chan seems a decent guy to pursue as he is a backup and does have some starting experience.

To me it's vital we find a veteran/potential QB. I don't mind Thigpen, Tavaraes Jackson is an interesting name too. We also need some help at LB and while he's far from great don't like the idea of losing Poz as he was one of the few bright spots we have on D. Zach Miller at TE be great but not sure we'd pursue him as Gailey seems to favor blocking TEs in his offenses.

Bulger, Pennington as a possibility and I agree on Thigpen. There's always good chance you lose your QB for a time, and I'd like someone with experience to step in.

trapezeus
07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
there is a difference between intentionally tanking and what i am saying.

the bills will go with what they've got in fitz. he can be good. he makes players better around him. he is also frustratingly inconsistent. If we are going to get a back up, someone who is lesser than fitz, why waste the money. that guy will not help keep us in a playoff hunt. might as well use that money in a position that needs a real upgrade or needs back ups like LB and CB.

the upside of a backup actually being stellar is quite small. the upside of just making due if fitz goes down is much higher.

risk reward scenario.

justasportsfan
07-20-2011, 02:57 PM
I still don't get how finding a back up who gives us the best chance to win if Fitz goaes down is a waste of money.

X-Era
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM
there is a difference between intentionally tanking and what i am saying.

the bills will go with what they've got in fitz. he can be good. he makes players better around him. he is also frustratingly inconsistent. If we are going to get a back up, someone who is lesser than fitz, why waste the money. that guy will not help keep us in a playoff hunt. might as well use that money in a position that needs a real upgrade or needs back ups like LB and CB.

the upside of a backup actually being stellar is quite small. the upside of just making due if fitz goes down is much higher.

risk reward scenario.Personally I'd go with a guy who has started a few times but still has room to grow. Troy Smith, Travares Jackson seem to fit. I'm not that interested in adding a never a guy over 30.

X-Era
07-20-2011, 03:24 PM
How about some of these guys who may get cut:

LB Bradie James
LB Nick Barnett
LB Joey Porter
G Shawn Andrews
QB Vince Young

I consider any of the above LB'ers an upgrade over Ayodele, Davis, or Torbor.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6786350/reggie-bush-potential-cap-casualties

BTW, Clayton has us at 35.9 mill under the cap. I think he's low because he also has Den at 1 mill under but reports are that's low too. The Denver Post has the Broncos at 9 mill over:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18501898?source=rss

TigerJ
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Buffalo may be in a very good position with respect to free agency.

1. They don't have a lot of big name free agents who will be expensive to retain like MANY teams. The primary free agents are Pozluszny and Florence, and Buffalo stands a decent chance to retain both

2. They are 30+ million under the cap floor, which means they have to spend a lot more, while a number of other teams are well over the cap. The Jets are a good example of a team that is well over the cap.

So while a lot of teams will be scrambling to figure out who they should cut and who they should restructure, so they can free cap space, before they can even think about who they can go after in free agency, Buffalo can focus on going after the guys who will improve the team right away.

trapezeus
07-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I still don't get how finding a back up who gives us the best chance to win if Fitz goaes down is a waste of money.

how many games do you think the bills will win this year? just curious and then i can answer your question.

Extremebillsfan247
07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I think Poz and Florence will be back. We will probably add another OT, maybe more Dline for competition, and a RB just to fill space on a preseason roster. The rest of the cash minimum I'm expecting to get rolled into renegotiated contracts with current players on the team who have upcoming contract deadlines for 2012-13 etc. JMO

X-Era
07-20-2011, 04:32 PM
I think Poz and Florence will be back. We will probably add another OT, maybe more Dline for competition, and a RB just to fill space on a preseason roster. The rest of the cash minimum I'm expecting to get rolled into renegotiated contracts with current players on the team who have upcoming contract deadlines for 2012-13 etc. JMOExtending current players with contracts that end after this year is a possibility. But, remember the only money that would count toward the cap from where we are now would be new money and then only the difference between the current salary and new salary plus any amortized bonus money. It may be a situation where they pace spending and add a few players each year. I will be shocked if Bell, Stevie, and Fitz all get extended this year. Most, hell all, still have enough to prove before they are worthy of big pay increases.

bigbub2352
07-20-2011, 08:53 PM
tyson clabo...then a backup qb...maybe tyler thigpen...and grab a few LBers for depth...Kevin Boss would look sweet in a bills uni

NOT THE DUDE...
07-20-2011, 09:25 PM
clabo and thigpen would be perfect.

tkobfsb51
07-21-2011, 02:24 AM
With the inevitable fast and furious pace this free agency will be, I would be more than happy to see Nix and co. do the following.

1.) Resign Poz and Drayton Florence: Poz and Florence are both two cogs of the defense and resigning the pair seems like a no brainer.

2.) Sign Matt Light: He may be getting long in the truth, but I think he would bring immense value to the Bills. He is a playoff tested veteran who knows what it takes to be a winner in the NFL and he would instantly become the most experienced player, and probably the leader, on the Bills very green offensive line. The Bills could sign Light to a short term deal and allow him to start in place of Chris Hairston until he fully develops.

3.) Sign Matt Moore: In 2009, Moore intimated that he may have what it takes to be a solid NFL quarterback. He is only 25, fairly athletic, and I believe that he could be a good toy for Gailey to tinker with and try to mold into his quarterback for the future.

jamze132
07-21-2011, 05:42 AM
With the amount of players that will be changing teams this year, I don't think you will see more than a couple of teams with 13-14 wins or 3-4 losses. Parity.

X-Era
07-21-2011, 05:46 AM
With the inevitable fast and furious pace this free agency will be, I would be more than happy to see Nix and co. do the following.

1.) Resign Poz and Drayton Florence: Poz and Florence are both two cogs of the defense and resigning the pair seems like a no brainer.

2.) Sign Matt Light: He may be getting long in the truth, but I think he would bring immense value to the Bills. He is a playoff tested veteran who knows what it takes to be a winner in the NFL and he would instantly become the most experienced player, and probably the leader, on the Bills very green offensive line. The Bills could sign Light to a short term deal and allow him to start in place of Chris Hairston until he fully develops.

3.) Sign Matt Moore: In 2009, Moore intimated that he may have what it takes to be a solid NFL quarterback. He is only 25, fairly athletic, and I believe that he could be a good toy for Gailey to tinker with and try to mold into his quarterback for the future.Matt Light is a dark horse for us IMO.

He probably can backup both LT and RT and adds valuable leadership as you said. Plus he won't get the big money that someone coming into their prime might.

Mr. Pink
07-21-2011, 06:00 AM
How about some of these guys who may get cut:

LB Bradie James
LB Nick Barnett
LB Joey Porter
G Shawn Andrews
QB Vince Young

I consider any of the above LB'ers an upgrade over Ayodele, Davis, or Torbor.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6786350/reggie-bush-potential-cap-casualties

BTW, Clayton has us at 35.9 mill under the cap. I think he's low because he also has Den at 1 mill under but reports are that's low too. The Denver Post has the Broncos at 9 mill over:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18501898?source=rss

Vince Young would be a good choice for Chans offense. Good enough choice that he would end up starting before the season was through IF he keeps his mental issues in check.

Mr. Pink
Matt Light is a dark horse for us IMO.

He probably can backup both LT and RT and adds valuable leadership as you said. Plus he won't get the big money that someone coming into their prime might.

Light would start, not backup.

X-Era
Vince Young would be a good choice for Chans offense. Good enough choice that he would end up starting before the season was through IF he keeps his mental issues in check.I'd like that move.

X-Era
07-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Light would start, not backup.Sorry. What I meant was that he could start at RT right away but could backup LT as well.

Mr. Pink
07-21-2011, 06:04 AM
I'd like that move.

With whom we hired at HC and the spread offense he employs still makes me wish we were the team, not the Eagles, who took the chance on Vick.

Vince Young would be a close second to that IF his mental issues are kept in check.

If they're not well, it's low risk high reward.

X-Era
07-21-2011, 06:14 AM
With whom we hired at HC and the spread offense he employs still makes me wish we were the team, not the Eagles, who took the chance on Vick.

Vince Young would be a close second to that IF his mental issues are kept in check.

If they're not well, it's low risk high reward.I agree. I really don't think he would be a problem. He's not the starter coming in, probably grew up a bit from what happened or will continue to as he sits on the sidelines and thinks about losing his starting job. He knows he's on a shorter leash. And he never really seemed like an arrogant douche. Anything is possible but I don't think it's likely that he would be a problem.

I really like it because he still could end up being a good starting QB. He has upside. And I am still worried that Fitz isn't our long term answer. If Fitz gets hurt or fades, he VY may be a viable option.

With everything that's happened the money may be lower, the upside is there, and he may come in humbled by whats happened.

better days
07-21-2011, 06:19 AM

If they're not well, it's low risk high reward.

I have changed my mind about Young after hearing Jeff Fisher talk about him on NFL Network. Fisher said he thinks he can be an NFL starter still & is a guy that learns from his mistakes.

I agree, he is low risk, high reward & would be happy if the Bills signed him.

X-Era
07-21-2011, 06:27 AM
I have changed my mind about Young after hearing Jeff Fisher talk about him on NFL Network. Fisher said he thinks he can be an NFL starter still & is a guy that learns from his mistakes.

I agree, he is low risk, high reward & would be happy if the Bills signed him.The problem is that a team with a more urgent need for a starting QB may throw more money at him.

Mr. Pink
07-21-2011, 06:53 AM
The problem is that a team with a more urgent need for a starting QB may throw more money at him.

I'm not sure any team is gonna be willing to throw say more than 3 million at him on a 1 year deal based on his past.

If it takes us ponying up 3.5 million for one year, I'm all for it.

Besides as you and others have detailed we're gonna need to spend money to get to the floor. I'd rather give VY 3.5 than say Tyler Thigpen 1.5.

trapezeus
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
vince young is precisely what a young team that is slowly getting it together doesn't need. a primadonna player who is me only. He plays when he wants to. The bills are better taking a guy who will willingly take the backup spot than to get a guy who thinks he is better than everyone else.

if hehad problems with a proven winner like jeff fischer, then he's definitely going to have problems with everyone else. vince young has carried himself like an entitled brat. and the one or two highlight reel games he has will not offset the fact that he could destroy whatever sense of team that the bills have built after 1 year.

Mr. Pink
07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
vince young is precisely what a young team that is slowly getting it together doesn't need. a primadonna player who is me only. He plays when he wants to. The bills are better taking a guy who will willingly take the backup spot than to get a guy who thinks he is better than everyone else.

if hehad problems with a proven winner like jeff fischer, then he's definitely going to have problems with everyone else. vince young has carried himself like an entitled brat. and the one or two highlight reel games he has will not offset the fact that he could destroy whatever sense of team that the bills have built after 1 year.

And the same thing was said a couple years about Michael Vick. Blah blah blah. How did that turn out for the Eagles?

If the dude turns into a cancer, you just cut him, who cares? It's a one year deal where you're making him prove himself and in a spread type offense, VY would excel.

Sometimes you need to take chances.

justasportsfan
07-21-2011, 10:41 AM
how many games do you think the bills will win this year? just curious and then i can answer your question.

At this point my guess is at least 6 wins.

better days
07-21-2011, 12:05 PM

I thought like you until I heard Fisher speak about him. Fisher thinks he should get another chance & if he thinks so I'm on board.

X-Era
07-21-2011, 03:58 PM
More possible cuts listed on PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/21/24-offensive-players-that-could-get-cut/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/21/16-defenders-who-could-be-cut-before-the-season/