PDA

View Full Version : BBD: UDFA Preview WR & TE

DraftBoy
07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2011/07/udfa-preview-wide-receiver/

The Bills currently have a lot of players at WR but are lacking in terms of depth and playmakers. The youngsters such as Easley, Roosevelt, and Jones all have potential but will need time to grow and develop there skills. Starter Steve Johnson emerged last year as a big play target but was inconsistent and cost the Bills dearly at times. Lee Evans is the veteran leader and most reliable target for this team but he is getting older and his big play ability will begin to become less of a threat as the years continue to pass. The one thing we definitely lack is size WR’s who can get down the field and make plays. David Nelson has lots of size, but is limited athletically and is not a threat to stretch a defense.

Goobylal
07-20-2011, 06:32 PM
What about Weslye Saunders?

Extremebillsfan247
07-20-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2011/07/udfa-preview-wide-receiver/ "have potential but will need time to grow and develop there skills." <- that pretty much sums up every player in the UDFA pool. I don't see how you get better by adding more of what you already have plenty of. It would be counterproductive. Tight End is a position where I can probably see them addressing via supplemental, but not wide receiver. We have too many as it is, and not all of them will make the team. At least 2 of our receivers will be sent packing by the end of training camp. JMO

DraftBoy
07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
What about Weslye Saunders?

Weight issues, off the field issues, and not playing all of last year killed him in my eyes.

DraftBoy
07-20-2011, 07:38 PM
"have potential but will need time to grow and develop there skills." <- that pretty much sums up every player in the UDFA pool. I don't see how you get better by adding more of what you already have plenty of. It would be counterproductive. Tight End is a position where I can probably see them addressing via supplemental, but not wide receiver. We have too many as it is, and not all of them will make the team. At least 2 of our receivers will be sent packing by the end of training camp. JMO

The bolded is where we disagree, we have plenty of players, but players with lots of skill and potential? No I dont see that.

k-oneputt
07-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Easley.
And if they keep a 6th, D. Jones because he can play special teams.

Extremebillsfan247
07-21-2011, 05:28 PM
The bolded is where we disagree, we have plenty of players, but players with lots of skill and potential? No I dont see that.And your theory is that somehow a pool of UDFA's who weren't good enough to get drafted are better than what we already have? lol Name 1 receiver in that pool that will beat out Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Stevie Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Felton Huggins, and Naaman Roosevelt in a competition. These are the guys your UDFA receiver is going to have to beat out to make this team. Hell, I didn't even get to Easley, or Hubbard. The Bills have 9 receivers going into camp. That's a fairly large group to try and squeeze an UDFA into. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I don't think it will be.

DraftBoy
07-21-2011, 05:43 PM
And your theory is that somehow a pool of UDFA's who weren't good enough to get drafted are better than what we already have? lol Name 1 receiver in that pool that will beat out Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Stevie Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Felton Huggins, and Naaman Roosevelt in a competition. These are the guys your UDFA receiver is going to have to beat out to make this team. Hell, I didn't even get to Easley, or Hubbard. The Bills have 9 receivers going into camp. That's a fairly large group to try and squeeze an UDFA into. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I don't think it will be.

Id say all three I named have a shot to beat our Jones, Huggins, or Roosevelt.

Extremebillsfan247
07-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Id say all three I named have a shot to beat our Jones, Huggins, or Roosevelt.And my point is that these guys are going to struggle to even make the team. What chance does a UDFA have especially with the new CBA rules that will be in place? Any UDFA taken by this team isn't likely to survive TC.

DraftBoy
07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
And my point is that these guys are going to struggle to even make the team. What chance does a UDFA have especially with the new CBA rules that will be in place? Any UDFA taken by this team isn't likely to survive TC.

Based on what?

John Doe
07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Id say all three I named have a shot to beat our Jones, Huggins, or Roosevelt.

Based on your analysis of the 3 undrafted free agents, you certainly have a point. The advantage that Jones and Roosevelt have is experience. They have been through a full training camp and NFL season, they have worked with 2 of the QB's that will probably be on the final roster, and they have flashed some play-making and special teams ability in real games.

The strike-shortened training camp and overall preseason has to work against the free agents. They would have to really show something very special very quickly to unseat Jones and Roosevelt IMO.