PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Players have voted to pass the CBA... conditionally

X-Era
07-20-2011, 04:38 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/AlbertBreer/status/93796176234688514

"Can confirm @SI_JimTrotter (http://twitter.com/SI_JimTrotter) report that settlement has been voted through by player reps, passed on to plaintiffs. But only conditionally ..."

First major step toward a new CBA. The conditional angle may simply be around what's still outstanding which isn't much reportedly.

BLeonard
07-20-2011, 04:43 PM
"Only conditionally?" To me, the definition of "conditionally" is : Imposing, depending on, or containing a condition.

So, if they agreed to the deal conditionally, then that tells me that they agreed to it, with otehr conditions... Meaning they really didn't agree to it at all, they want other things added...

Maybe it's me, but "conditionally" doesn't sound like they've agreed to it... Unless other conditions are met.

-Bill

X-Era
07-20-2011, 04:49 PM
"Only conditionally?" To me, the definition of "conditionally" is : Imposing, depending on, or containing a condition.

So, if they agreed to the deal conditionally, then that tells me that they agreed to it, with otehr conditions... Meaning they really didn't agree to it at all, they want other things added...

Maybe it's me, but "conditionally" doesn't sound like they've agreed to it... Unless other conditions are met.

-BillI think it means this:

They have agreed to the current deal which is not finished but reserve the right to vote against it if the final details don't meet their approval.

It's a fancy way of saying we realize we aren't totally done but we agree to everything so far and feel the rest won't hold up a final deal... It's a way to move forward when you have some final legal language to get done still.

X-Era
07-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Breer just stated that the "conditional" piece was around a successful settlement which will likely come after the Exec committee recommends this deal.

It just gives the player plaintiffs a chance to have their day in court if they feel they are screwed by this deal.

I really don't see any current plaintiff holding this up. But, it does mean that the deal is tentative until there is a settlement on all the law suits... which we really knew anyway.

Translation: Step #1, a major step, is complete but we still have other steps which must occur before were back to football.

X-Era
07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
After weeks of following this it appears to me that the next steps, in order, are:

1a) Settle all current cases between players and NFL
1b) Owners vote to pass CBA
2) Players become a union again
3) Deal is complete
4) Lockout is lifted
5) New league year starts

Extremebillsfan247
07-20-2011, 05:25 PM

-BillThe resolution to the lawsuits are the condition from what I'm hearing. They've given their guys at the top more power to close a deal, and there is one in place. I'm thinking the Owners will probably follow suit in not voting in favor of the the deal until they know the outcome of the resolution, granting more power to league execs. to close the deal. But that's my opinion based on what I'm reading and hearing.

TigerJ
07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
It was the best outcome we ccould hope for given that there was still a lawsuit out there waiting to be resolved.

Extremebillsfan247
07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
We are still probably looking at another 2 weeks, 3 at the most before the lockout is finally put to bed, but the end to this is definitely in sight. JMO

X-Era
07-20-2011, 05:40 PM
We are still probably looking at another 2 weeks, 3 at the most before the lockout is finally put to bed, but the end to this is definitely in sight. JMOThe lockout will be lifted by weeks end or by Tuesday at the latest IMO. But the league will not open for business until sometime next week.

No way they cancel or even postpone the HOF game. Just my opinion.

I think the media is way over analyzing right now. The deal is acceptable to the players at this point. Yes, they still have to settle cases, reconstitute, etc... but it's procedural since the deal is accepted by the players.

Like anything else, if someone wants to wait until the deal is finally done, fine. But, this was the first major step.

SquishDaFish
07-20-2011, 05:55 PM
There is no way in hell its going to go 2-3 weeks. This will be over and business will reopen by wed next week.

X-Era
07-20-2011, 05:59 PM
There is no way in hell its going to go 2-3 weeks. This will be over and business will reopen by wed next week.At the latest. I think you may see teams open their doors Friday or over this weekend.

SquishDaFish
07-20-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree I think they will have them open this weekend with most reporting mon-tuesday

Extremebillsfan247
07-20-2011, 06:14 PM
There is no way in hell its going to go 2-3 weeks. This will be over and business will reopen by wed next week.I hope your right. But as X-Era points out, its all procedural now. The questions are how long will those procedures take to finalize, and how long will it take to settle the lawsuits that are still unresolved? I don't see these 2 events running concurrently since one needs to be resolved to finalize the other. The settlement of the lawsuits from the legal end are what will cause this thing to drag its feet.

On a side note: I've just read that both Players, and Owners plan to vote tomorrow. So we will see how it goes. But apparently the Owners are ready to vote with or with out the players.

X-Era
07-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Eisen throwing water in that pessimistic douche LaCanfora's face... Love it. Now LaCanfora is back tracking and admitting that the CBA is pretty much done. It's the legal cases. Yes they are real hurdles but they are steps and the big one is agreeing on the CBA which is pretty much done.

X-Era
07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I hope your right. But as X-Era points out, its all procedural now. The questions are how long will those procedures take to finalize, and how long will it take to settle the lawsuits that are still unresolved? I don't see these 2 events running concurrently since one needs to be resolved to finalize the other. The settlement of the lawsuits from the legal end are what will cause this thing to drag its feet.

I've just read that both Players, and Owners plan to vote tomorrow. So we will see how it goes. But apparently the Owners are ready to vote with or with out the players.That's it. In that situation, Brady and a few players won't hold up a deal and starting the season. Yes, the process steps may take time but everyone wants to get to work. There isn't anyone other than the lawyers holding things up. And we know that both the Owners and Players have squashed the lawyers when they get in the way.

Put it this way, the CBA will get voted on tomorrow by both sides. It may still be tangled into the legal cases, but the deal will be approved. The sides are agreeing to the details of the CBA, the legal cases are really a separate issue.

Extremebillsfan247
07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
That's it. In that situation, Brady and a few players won't hold up a deal and starting the season. Yes, the process steps may take time but everyone wants to get to work. There isn't anyone other than the lawyers holding things up. And we know that both the Owners and Players have squashed the lawyers when they get in the way.

Put it this way, the CBA will get voted on tomorrow by both sides. It may still be tangled into the legal cases, but the deal will be approved. The sides are agreeing to the details of the CBA, the legal cases are really a separate issue. I understand what your saying. It looks like a lot of this rides on what happens tomorrow. What has me thinking 2 to 3 weeks is something Jeff Pash said. He isn't feeling too optimistic about this thing being over in time to save the Hall of Fame game. There is a pretty good chance that game will be scrapped. After following this thing pretty closely for quite some time, I'm finding it hard to not be inclined to believing him on that particular subject. But that's just my take on it.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-20-2011, 07:30 PM
but if the players havent agreed to a deal, then what the hell are the owners voting on....????

BLeonard
07-20-2011, 07:33 PM
but if the players havent agreed to a deal, then what the hell are the owners voting on....????

They have to all agree between themselves first... If 9 of the 32 owners don't like the deal, it won't even get to the players.

-Bill

X-Era
07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
but if the players havent agreed to a deal, then what the hell are the owners voting on....????The onwers are voting on the CBA. The players will be voting on the CBA + a settlement to the legal cases. In reality, the players have already reportedly agreed with the deal.

The players are holding up an official vote so they can get the legal cases settled.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
The onwers are voting on the CBA. The players will be voting on the CBA + a settlement to the legal cases. In reality, the players have already reportedly agreed with the deal.

The players are holding up an official vote so they can get the legal cases settled.

but according to rich eisen he said that the nfl lawyer jeff pash said that the settlement is already done with.... so whats going on?

X-Era
07-20-2011, 07:47 PM
but according to rich eisen he said that the nfl lawyer jeff pash said that the settlement is already done with.... so whats going on?Pash didn't say that.

http://nfllabor.com/2011/07/20/todays-jeff-pash-transcript/

The legal cases aren't settled yet.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-20-2011, 07:49 PM
mortensen just said on the bottom line that the players will probably vote 2mor....