PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller a Freakin Rookie! Sues NFL

BuffaloBlitz83
07-21-2011, 11:14 AM
As we noted a couple of weeks back, former DeSoto High School Eagle and Texas A&M Aggie Von Miller is among the high-profile plaintiffs named in the lockout class action brought against the National Football League. His name's right there alongside the likes of Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Payton Manning. Only, there's one thing: Miller ain't a pro yet. Far from. And while there's no doubt the Butkus Award-winning linebacker will go high in the draft next month, he's still taking one hell of a chance suing the league for reasons explained in this freshly minted New York Times piece about what lies ahead for guys labeled "activist players," especially before they've taken a snap in the pros.

Judy Battista not only asks Miller why he signed on to the suit, but how long he considered it -- and what he hopes to get from participating in the litigation, which one unnamed general manager says was not in the DeSoto native's best interests. Battista also talks to those with whom Miller spoke before he did what he did, including his dad and A&M coach Mike Sherman, who told Von two years ago to stay in school even when the N.F.L. beckoned.

"I didn't get involved in this for the spotlight," Miller said in a recent interview. "That wasn't even on the agenda. I got involved to be a part of great guys like Peyton Manning and Mike Vrabel. I got into it for those guys. It's a great feeling to have that I'm doing something for them. I enjoy being a great teammate."

What an idiot. Play a down. So glad we got Dareus

Ebenezer
07-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Everybody knew this before the draft.

:wtf:

better days
07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Everybody knew this before the draft.

:wtf:

Yeah, no doubt the Lawyers wanted a rookie represented so they asked him to sign on & he agreed to do so. They probably ask Newton & Dareus as well but were turned down by them.

Joe Fo Sho
07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
That was written a month before the draft.

BuffaloBlitz83
07-21-2011, 11:37 AM
That was written a month before the draft.

I just heard it now. And regardless of when it was written. I think he is an idiot for his decision. I am sure Newton and others were asked prior to him.

DraftBoy
07-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Actually I dont believe they were. He was clear that he wanted to be a part of this.

BLeonard
07-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah, so much for it hurting his draft position... He was picked #2...

My guess is, they wanted a rookie in the suit, since one of the major issues was rookie salaries.

-Bill

better days
07-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Actually I dont believe they were. He was clear that he wanted to be a part of this.

He was clear he wanted to be a part of it, but I believe that was after he was asked to do so. The NFLPA picked the biggest names to sign on to the lawsuit. Brady, Manning etc. I'm sure they wanted the biggest name rookie as well. Miller was not the biggest name rookie before the draft. Both Newton & Dareus were projected to go #1 while most had Miller slotted 3rd to the Bills or lower.

MikeInRoch
07-21-2011, 12:06 PM
In other news, there was nothing in Al Capone's vault.

DraftBoy
07-21-2011, 12:08 PM
He was clear he wanted to be a part of it, but I believe that was after he was asked to do so. The NFLPA picked the biggest names to sign on to the lawsuit. Brady, Manning etc. I'm sure they wanted the biggest name rookie as well. Miller was not the biggest name rookie before the draft. Both Newton & Dareus were projected to go #1 while most had Miller slotted 3rd to the Bills or lower.

Newton was never asked because he has enough off field baggage to deal with and Dareus never had any interest. Yes Miller was asked, but he made it clear he wanted to be part before even being asked.

TigerJ
07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
This just in: General Lee surrenders at Appomattox!

EricStratton
07-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Is Von's agent heavily involved or does he share agents with others in the suit.