• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Von Miller a Freakin Rookie! Sues NFL

As we noted a couple of weeks back, former DeSoto High School Eagle and Texas A&M Aggie Von Miller is among the high-profile plaintiffs named in the lockout class action brought against the National Football League. His name's right there alongside the likes of Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Payton Manning. Only, there's one thing: Miller ain't a pro yet. Far from. And while there's no doubt the Butkus Award-winning linebacker will go high in the draft next month, he's still taking one hell of a chance suing the league for reasons explained in this freshly minted New York Times piece about what lies ahead for guys labeled "activist players," especially before they've taken a snap in the pros.

Judy Battista not only asks Miller why he signed on to the suit, but how long he considered it -- and what he hopes to get from participating in the litigation, which one unnamed general manager says was not in the DeSoto native's best interests. Battista also talks to those with whom Miller spoke before he did what he did, including his dad and A&M coach Mike Sherman, who told Von two years ago to stay in school even when the N.F.L. beckoned.

"I didn't get involved in this for the spotlight," Miller said in a recent interview. "That wasn't even on the agenda. I got involved to be a part of great guys like Peyton Manning and Mike Vrabel. I got into it for those guys. It's a great feeling to have that I'm doing something for them. I enjoy being a great teammate."

What an idiot. Play a down. So glad we got Dareus
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: Von Miller a Freakin Rookie! Sues NFL

Everybody knew this before the draft.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      Everybody knew this before the draft.

Yeah, no doubt the Lawyers wanted a rookie represented so they asked him to sign on & he agreed to do so. They probably ask Newton & Dareus as well but were turned down by them.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

That was written a month before the draft.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
          We play to win the game!
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho
          That was written a month before the draft.
          I just heard it now. And regardless of when it was written. I think he is an idiot for his decision. I am sure Newton and others were asked prior to him.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Actually I dont believe they were. He was clear that he wanted to be a part of this.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Yeah, so much for it hurting his draft position... He was picked #2...

My guess is, they wanted a rookie in the suit, since one of the major issues was rookie salaries.

-Bill

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                Actually I dont believe they were. He was clear that he wanted to be a part of this.
                He was clear he wanted to be a part of it, but I believe that was after he was asked to do so. The NFLPA picked the biggest names to sign on to the lawsuit. Brady, Manning etc. I'm sure they wanted the biggest name rookie as well. Miller was not the biggest name rookie before the draft. Both Newton & Dareus were projected to go #1 while most had Miller slotted 3rd to the Bills or lower.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                  • Sep 2003

In other news, there was nothing in Al Capone's vault.
                  "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
                    He was clear he wanted to be a part of it, but I believe that was after he was asked to do so. The NFLPA picked the biggest names to sign on to the lawsuit. Brady, Manning etc. I'm sure they wanted the biggest name rookie as well. Miller was not the biggest name rookie before the draft. Both Newton & Dareus were projected to go #1 while most had Miller slotted 3rd to the Bills or lower.
                    Newton was never asked because he has enough off field baggage to deal with and Dareus never had any interest. Yes Miller was asked, but he made it clear he wanted to be part before even being asked.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

This just in: General Lee surrenders at Appomattox!
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• EricStratton
                        • Jul 2002

Is Von's agent heavily involved or does he share agents with others in the suit.

Comment

Working...
                        X