PDA

View Full Version : It's not over yet: Players turn.

Extremebillsfan247
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Lets just keep this in perspective. The players still have a lot to do on their end before anything moves forward from this point. First, there wont be a CBA without a union. It will require votes from all 1900 players to be gathered, and votes must be in favor in order to recertify the union. From the players perspective, that can't happen overnight. Player reps who just received detailed emails from DeMaurice Smith about what went down today on the Owners side, are relaying those details to their respective constituents. We still have a little ways to go. The ball is essentially in their court, but early rumblings are that they are not liking what they see. Hopefully that is wrong.

Here is some of that Email from Smith being trickled out over twitter for those who haven't seen it yet.

Smith "As you know the Owners have ratified their proposal to settle our differences. It is my understanding they are forwarding it to us. As u may have heard, they apparently approved a supplemental revenue sharing proposal. Only, we have not been a part of those discussions. As you know from yesterday, issues that need to be collectively bargained remain open. Other issues such as workers compensation, economic issues and end of deal terms remain unresolved. There is no agreement between the NFL and the Players at this time. I look forward to our call tonight."

So, to clarify how the players are seeing this according to what I've been reading, they feel like they've been duped. The deal the owners voted on today was apparently different from what was on the table during negotiation sessions. The unanimous vote was meant to be a show of solidarity among owners that this newly voted on proposal is what is needed for the lockout to be lifted. It doesn't end the lockout, its more or less, "here is our final offer, take it or leave it". Now it's up to the players. If there is going to be an NFL season, that proposal is what they will have to agree upon.

mikemac2001
07-21-2011, 08:01 PM
YA MJD was just on sirius saying its not over players havent voted blah blah blah

all this players side stuff

then at the end they asked are you optimistic

he said "very optimistic"

hes been pretty anti owners whole lockout on sirius

SeatownBillsFan21
07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
10 bucks says the players shut this down...

Extremebillsfan247
07-21-2011, 08:16 PM
YA MJD was just on sirius saying its not over players havent voted blah blah blah

all this players side stuff

then at the end they asked are you optimistic

he said "very optimistic"

hes been pretty anti owners whole lockout on sirius Yeah, for lack of better terms, I think its all bs. But, I posted it anyway. This board is about to come to life with info popping out of every corner. We are all going to be wired pretty tightly by the time this thing is over. I'm expecting some hot language to come flying out. I've already got my popcorn ready. :popcorn: lol It's always darkest before the dawn.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-21-2011, 08:27 PM
if the players vote its going to pass....

Extremebillsfan247
07-21-2011, 08:43 PM
if the players vote its going to pass....Its looking like a pretty big if at this point though. Hopefully all the players need is time to look over the new proposal to put a vote to it. But some strong language against it is already starting to poor out from the players end. This thing could get pretty ugly in a hurry. According Salsports who I follow on twitter and also posts here, the players are now threatening to sue the NFL for attempting to coerce them into formulating a union which is supposedly a violation of federal labor laws.

HAMMER
07-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Smith just released a statement, no vote, "need more time to consider forming a union, and making needed changes to the agreement".

DrGraves
07-21-2011, 09:08 PM
someone just wake me up when its time for kick off in KC...

Extremebillsfan247
07-21-2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820e6ed4/article/nflpa-express-displeasure-with-owners-in-email-to-player-reps Here is a link to a 2nd email sent out.

SeatownBillsFan21
07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
What a mess this is turning out to be i get it eveyone needs to know and understand what there singing but dam why did the owners vote on something that the players didnt see??? sounds fishy to me.We as fans never get the full story.i just hope this all ends very very soon....

TigerJ
07-21-2011, 11:11 PM
I personnally don't think the players should have a say in any revenue sharing proposal the owners may decide on. The CBA proposal has a salary cap floor, that the players wanted. That makes it unnecessary for the players to worry about revenue sharing. I understand there are minor issues like workers comp. The good thing about the whole mess is that once a deal is reached and voted on by both sides, it will run 10 years. We won't have to deal with this messuntil I'm retired

NOT THE DUDE...
07-21-2011, 11:17 PM
mort said a vote 2mor for players....

Luisito23
07-21-2011, 11:37 PM
The greedy ass players betta not F this up!

Mr. Pink
07-22-2011, 12:13 AM
It would not surprise me if the players said no to the proposal just based upon what DeMaurice Smith said.

I think this quote along with the players egos on this sort of stuff makes tomorrow not so much a done deal.....Smith "As you know the Owners have ratified their proposal to settle our differences. It is my understanding they are forwarding it to us. As u may have heard, they apparently approved a supplemental revenue sharing proposal. Only, we have not been a part of those discussions. As you know from yesterday, issues that need to be collectively bargained remain open. Other issues such as workers compensation, economic issues and end of deal terms remain unresolved. There is no agreement between the NFL and the Players at this time. I look forward to our call tonight."

I think the players not being part of the discussions becomes a sticking point where regardless if they like it or not, they'll vote it down to try and discuss it out and get a better deal.

BuffaloBlitz83
07-22-2011, 12:42 AM
**** the owners. Cheese move to vote on something that players haven't even seen. And get media involved to get fans anti players. From the start the owners are the ones that locked the players out, The players liked the current deal. The owners were at fault on the past cba.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-22-2011, 12:55 AM
**** the owners. Cheese move to vote on something that players haven't even seen. And get media involved to get fans anti players. From the start the owners are the ones that locked the players out, The players liked the current deal. The owners were at fault on the past cba.

Totally agree. plus the players are the creators of the wealth, not the owners.

BertSquirtgum
07-22-2011, 01:02 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/nfl-labor-talks/story/nfl-owners-still-meeting-in-atlanta-players-conference-call-set-for-tonight?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk2%7C219677

Dujek
07-22-2011, 03:18 AM
It would not surprise me if the players said no to the proposal just based upon what DeMaurice Smith said.

I think this quote along with the players egos on this sort of stuff makes tomorrow not so much a done deal.....Smith "As you know the Owners have ratified their proposal to settle our differences. It is my understanding they are forwarding it to us. As u may have heard, they apparently approved a supplemental revenue sharing proposal. Only, we have not been a part of those discussions. As you know from yesterday, issues that need to be collectively bargained remain open. Other issues such as workers compensation, economic issues and end of deal terms remain unresolved. There is no agreement between the NFL and the Players at this time. I look forward to our call tonight."

I think the players not being part of the discussions becomes a sticking point where regardless if they like it or not, they'll vote it down to try and discuss it out and get a better deal.

How the owners decide to share revenues amongst themselves is none of the players' business. Smith is being an ******* for the sake of being an ******* and the greedy players are lapping it up.

better days
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Totally agree. plus the players are the creators of the wealth, not the owners.

Totally false. The players are no more creators of the wealth than any employee of any company. Without a league the players have nowhere to play & get paid.

If any games are lost because players drag their feet I think the fans should let them all know we are not happy with either them or the owners. How great would it be if no fans showed up for the 1st game & no one watched on TV. The players playing in empty stadiums & everyone watching Heidi instead of football on TV. Then the owners & players would realize the fans are much more important than they now realize.

TigerJ
07-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I think that the owners rushed to a vote because they are in something like "panic mode." They make big money on preseason games, and everyone that gets canceled represents revenue they can't make up. I don't know whether or not any provision is written into player contracts that reduces salary by corresponding amounts for every game, preseason or otherwise that is not played. In any case, the higher priced players have significant guaranteed dollars often paid up front in the form of bonuses that owners would find it difficult to recover if games aren't played. I think the bottom line is that delays hurt owners more than they hurt players (except for those rookies who don't have a dependable source of income and whose families are mired in poverty), so the owners are far more motivated to get this done as fast as they can.

better days
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I think that the owners rushed to a vote because they are in something like "panic mode." They make big money on preseason games, and everyone that gets canceled represents revenue they can't make up. I don't know whether or not any provision is written into player contracts that reduces salary by corresponding amounts for every game, preseason or otherwise that is not played. In any case, the higher priced players have significant guaranteed dollars often paid up front in the form of bonuses that owners would find it difficult to recover if games aren't played. I think the bottom line is that delays hurt owners more than they hurt players (except for those rookies who don't have a dependable source of income and whose families are mired in poverty), so the owners are far more motivated to get this done as fast as they can.

The players are guaranteed a percentage of the money the NFL takes in. If preseason games are lost that money is also lost & that affects players as well as owners.