PDA

View Full Version : Bills S George Wilson's Take

BuffaloBlitz83
07-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Bills S George Wilson on ESPN: "This is nothing more than an attempt to get the fans to turn on the players." Doesn't expect a vote Friday.

SeatownBillsFan21
07-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Yeah i heard the phone interview on NFLN and it sounds to me that the players are not even close to an agreement...Sounds to me that the players are pissed that the owners tried to shove this down the players thoughts.
But Why would the owners vote on something that they didnt think the players would sing off on??There is no doubt that the players knew the outline of the deal now they got cold feet and want more?But hell what do i know i just want some Football.

Novacane
07-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Despite the fact that Bills safety and NFLPA* representative George Wilson called reports that the players will vote Friday on the proposed, pre-approved labor deal untrue, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen (or, as Donte’ Stallworth referred to him during an ESPN phoner, “Morten Andersen”) reports that the players are indeed expected to vote on the proposal Friday................................

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/mort-players-vote-expected-on-friday/

STFU George :rolleyes:

Novacane
07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Mort also echoes the notion that tension remains not regarding whether the NFLPA* will recertify as a union, but how that will happen. Even if the process of obtaining signatures can, in theory, be done electronically, the players want to do it their way. Specifically, they want players to sign cards when they show up at team facilities, a fairly simple process that could get the task completed in a day or two after the gates open again. Though the motivation for the players’ insistence to do it this way isn’t clear, the fact remains that the players want to do it this way — and that the league has no real reason to fight the NFLPA* on this point.

Seriously? This is how childish they are being? Owners just need to back off and let them sign their little cards :rofl: Then they can walk around like the dumb jocks they are and say we showed those owners. We stood firm and reformed the union OUR way! :lol:

X-Era
07-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Clark from the CEC: Foxworth and Saturday were involved in putting this deal together. He thanked them directly.

Some players have the details and they aren't the ones doing all the talking.

Where are the Saturday and Foxworth tweets?

madness
07-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Sorry, George. That was already done at the beginning of this process. If this takes any longer, I hope they cancel the season so 90% of you guys have to "suffer" with real jobs.

ddaryl
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
32 owners

1500 +++ players

takes a little longer t9o get 1500 people up to speed

I'm laughing at how people suck the owners dicks..... Like they would ever lower the costs of a ticket or stop over paying guys like Haynesworth $40 million guaranteed and then complain that salaries are out of control.

THATHURMANATOR
07-22-2011, 09:16 AM
What do you expect? These players are a group of uneducated, roided, thug gladiators for the most part. Do you really expect them to be able to comprehend anything that is going on with these negotiations from a legal sense?

Hell I bet that 95%+ don't even read anything about it and just go from what they are told by the few reps that have any clue.

OpIv37
07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm laughing at how people suck the owners dicks..... Like they would ever lower the costs of a ticket or stop over paying guys like Haynesworth $40 million guaranteed and then complain that salaries are out of control.

Wow, you have that so backwards.

you think any owner WANTS to give $40 million guaranteed to any player? It's far too risky- that's why the old CBA was voided in the first place.

The owners don't want to give those contracts, but they want their team to get better and their team to win, but the players were (and still are) in such a position of power that they can get those kinds of contracts out of the owners.

The players fight to establish rules in their favor, the owners play by those rules, and then you're blaming the owners? Please.

TigerJ
07-22-2011, 10:06 AM
If the owner vote was an attempt to put pressure on players by turning the fans against them, I think it's likely to have only a temporary effect, and will not force a vote. The whole thing seems to be an uncharacteristic mess. The NFL is normally meticulous in its control and its order. To have this appearance of disarray makes it look as if things are coming appart at the seams. While I believe revenue sharing is an owner issue, and not subject to player negotiations, It would not have hurt Goodell to say to Demaurice Smith during the negotiations, "In order to 9insure the survivability of our small market teams, the owners are going to enter into a new revenue sharing plan. It will not affect any part of the CBA, but as a courtesy, we'll let provide a copy for your examination before a player vote is scheduled."

I do think the owners are trying to hurry things along because they want the revenue from preseason games, but I don't think making players mad, even if they're successful in winning the PR battle with fans is worth it.

OpIv37
07-22-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't even understand what the players are still complaining about. They got a higher percentage of revenue, their cap floor, their safety concerns, 2-a-day's removed etc.

It seems to me like the only thing the owners won on was the rookie cap, and they gave the cap floor concession to get it.

mayotm
07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Wow, you have that so backwards.

you think any owner WANTS to give $40 million guaranteed to any player? It's far too risky- that's why the old CBA was voided in the first place.

The owners don't want to give those contracts, but they want their team to get better and their team to win, but the players were (and still are) in such a position of power that they can get those kinds of contracts out of the owners.

The players fight to establish rules in their favor, the owners play by those rules, and then you're blaming the owners? Please.To me, it's more like the South Park episode. Taking sides is like choosing between a douche and a turd sandwich.

Mski
07-22-2011, 10:17 AM
i think the owners biggest issue with wanting the union reinstated before lifting the lockout is because if the players dont, then ALL of them have to vote on the CBA as INDIVIUALS, otherwise they'd be "acting as a union" but without certification

OpIv37
07-22-2011, 10:18 AM
To me, it's more like the South Park episode. Taking sides is like choosing between a douche and a turd sandwich.

I agree- I'm just saying it's wrong to solely blame owners for giving players $40 million guaranteed when the players were the ones who wanted that system in the first place.

This isn't some Industrial Revolution-era labor dispute where a bunch of unskilled factory workers are trying to fight a powerful corporation that has all the cards. The NFL players are uniquely skilled and well-funded, and they're just as responsible for this mess as the owners are.

mayotm
07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I agree- I'm just saying it's wrong to solely blame owners for giving players $40 million guaranteed when the players were the ones who wanted that system in the first place.

This isn't some Industrial Revolution-era labor dispute where a bunch of unskilled factory workers are trying to fight a powerful corporation that has all the cards. The NFL players are uniquely skilled and well-funded, and they're just as responsible for this mess as the owners are.Agreed. I truly wish I didn't care so much. Time to get this finished, so I can stop being miserable about the labor situation and start being miserable about the Bills' on field performance.

justasportsfan
07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
when do the UFL and CFL start?

Someone told me Real Housewives of New Jersey is more entertaining than the NFL Drama.

trapezeus
07-22-2011, 10:54 AM
college football, which is better than CFL and UFL, should start in late august during that normal lull of boring pre-season games.

OpIv37
07-22-2011, 12:02 PM
otherwise they'd be "acting as a union" but without certification

well haven't they been doing that all along? Why split hairs now?

mightysimi
07-22-2011, 12:09 PM
when do the UFL and CFL start?

Someone told me Real Housewives of New Jersey is more entertaining than the NFL Drama.

CFL is going into week 4.

Goobylal
07-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Gene Upshaw basically forced the last CBA down the owners' throats. Turnabout is fair play.

ddaryl
07-22-2011, 12:31 PM
30-2 on the last CBA proves that the owners are sitting in a pile of their own dung...

but I am LMFAO at the group that thinks the players are uneducated roided goon thugs... but then are the very 1st to ***** when we don't hand Peters a 10 mil a year contract, or don't try to outbid for every named player on the market... and are the same group that runs out and buys jerseys with players names on the back.....

Players are doing exactly what they need to do.. Ensure they like the language of the contract...

I still look at the owners for being the shady dealers in this ordeal.. They tried to pull a fast one and sneak a large TV contract through while locking out the players.... The players just countered the owners BS with some BS of their own.. but it all started with the owners making the moves they made.

I also think that all the newer owners in this league are the biggest fools for spending upwards of 1/2 billion for the status symbol of owning a football team... Stop over paying for football teams and the prices will come down

alnilla
07-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Vince Young can barley read....His maybe signed by next week......

THATHURMANATOR
07-22-2011, 01:04 PM
but I am LMFAO at the group that thinks the players are uneducated roided goon thugs... but then are the very 1st to ***** when we don't hand Peters a 10 mil a year contract, or don't try to outbid for every named player on the market... and are the same group that runs out and buys jerseys with players names on the back.....

Why would you be laughing about it? Really isn't funny. I don't care if they are smart or dumb as long as they hit people hard and run fast. Stop licking the players balls already....

THATHURMANATOR
07-22-2011, 01:04 PM
The owners are douches too by the way!

Michael82
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Gene Upshaw basically forced the last CBA down the owners' throats. Turnabout is fair play.
Exactly! :hi5:

Extremebillsfan247
07-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Clark from the CEC: Foxworth and Saturday were involved in putting this deal together. He thanked them directly.

Some players have the details and they aren't the ones doing all the talking.

Where are the Saturday and Foxworth tweets?
That's what I'm wondering too. Where are they, and why didn't they relay the fact that they had involvement in that process to the rest of the player reps? I just don't buy this whole player conspiracy theory that the owners purposefully voted on something to turn fans against the players.

That proposal isn't set in stone, its just a framework built around some of the things both sides had agreed upon upto this point in the process. The schedule was an example of what a new league year might look like under this new proposed CBA. But even that is subject to changes. If a fan could figure that out with the very minimum of details provided, why is it so hard for the players to get that? Just my opinion.