• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Owners Made a Nice Move - Now The Players Can Squirm

I'm NOT taking sides. Just observing that the Owners were very aware of a financial timeline and for whatever reason, the last 2-3 % of this deal couldn't get done.

So they put on a good performance yesterday and the PR pressure is shifted squarely back on D Smith and his disciples. The longer this takes, the worse the players look to the fans.

I do think the Owners currently have a far better understanding of the term " negotiation " . You can't just take, you have to give and some issues won't get ratified.

It will be interesting how the players respond. If they start crying for sympathy today, they'll be hanging themselves with the public.

I think D Smith and his legal team better get moving and STFU.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Owners Made a Nice Move - Now The Players Can Squirm

I agree. I can't see what the players have to gain, at this point, by prolonging this thing - except maybe missing some training camp, which is getting more and more like a country club, anyway, under the new CBA.

If they delay the agreement for any serious length of time, the fans - who are now chomping at the bit, given the owners' vote - will really be pissed.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• McBFLO
      • Mar 2003

How is sneaking things in at the last minute good business? Sleezey move by the owners. I think the Players are right to be cautious in proceeding. And if this whole things blows up at this point, I'd blame it squarely on the Owners for the scam they tries to pull last night. Having said that, if it blows up, what a freakin joke...
      Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

They should do what they did in '87.

Bring in replacements until the players cave. (Which takes all of about a month)

Comment

• Dujek
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by McFearless24
          How is sneaking things in at the last minute good business? Sleezey move by the owners. I think the Players are right to be cautious in proceeding. And if this whole things blows up at this point, I'd blame it squarely on the Owners for the scam they tries to pull last night. Having said that, if it blows up, what a freakin joke...
          There was nothing "sneaked in" the owners simply added in how they were going to distribute shared revenues, which has NOTHING to do with the players.

Smith and the rest of his lackeys simply want to keep their names in the news as long as possible.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

So, you've swallowed the players' point of view hook, line and sinker?

I'd like to know exactly what the owners "sneaked" in, and how it affects the total package. The players certainly knew all of the major parts of the agreement before last evening. I agree that the players should be cautious, and review anything new that the owners added at the last minute, but to automatically assume that the owners were sleezy is a little over the top.

I think that originally, the players were to vote Wednesday and the owners Thursday. Only the owners lived up to the schedule. I think they were right to at least move this thing along, and force the players to do SOMETHING other than nit pick and procrastinate.

The time for any sort of meaningful preseason, as well as starting the season on time, is getting very short.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

The players are not professional businessmen, they are players. And they acted like it last night.

How do you start trashing a deal when you haven't even seen it yet? They should have just shown patience and kept their mouths shut until they saw all the details. Instead some act like babies and start blowing up there twitter accounts and calling into shows to *****. Maybe act a bit more professional and wait to see the details.

Ego is the other thing at play. They want to be pampered and to have their own timelines and we will vote our way. They are having some problems with ego. They need to realize that the clock is ticking and games and money will be lost and work with the league to come up with a plan on when to vote and what and when the next steps are. Business people do this. They set ego aside and work to get things done.

Everyone knows your important, everyone sees you, and we all know nothing happens until you agree to it. So leave all your emotions at the door and get to work.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Sneaking things in or players that didn't know the details but lashed out anyways?

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  I agree. I can't see what the players have to gain, at this point, by prolonging this thing - except maybe missing some training camp, which is getting more and more like a country club, anyway, under the new CBA.

If they delay the agreement for any serious length of time, the fans - who are now chomping at the bit, given the owners' vote - will really be pissed.
                  I think it's logical and probable that some players would like this to kill most of TC and preseason games... I don't think for a second that all of them are aching to get into camp and play preseason games.

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                    The players are not professional businessmen, they are players. And they acted like it last night.

You're being nice. I say most of them are just dumb jocks that don't have a clue to about business. They hired competent people to represent them. Now they should stfu and listen to them.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                      • Jan 2010

of course the owners are better negotiators the owners are wealthy successful business men, the players tackle people and get concussions for a living.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Novacane
                        You're being nice. I say most of them are just dumb jocks that don't have a clue to about business. They hired competent people to represent them. Now they should stfu and listen to them.
                        It's worse. They wouldn't even STFU until they had the information. It was funny because everytime one of the players called into the NFLN Eisen asked them what part of the deal they didn't like and they had no answers. They never answered it. Because they didn't know the details.

Let's get all the fans to buy the 1900 players rooms at the Sandals hotel. We will make sure there are 1900 copies of the full document and they can be lavishly pampered as they take their sweet time to review it. They can sit poolside and sip mojito's and collectively ***** as much as they want. We can distribute re-certification cards that are disguised as free passes to "happy ending" massages that just need their signatures. They get 2 all inclusive nights... Saturday and Sunday night. And as the checkout they have to return the signed deal.
                        Last edited by X-Era; 07-22-2011, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• CoolBreeze
                          • Feb 2009

This deal was hammered out with De Smith, that's his job. In an interview with Carolina owner Jerry Richardson, he said that, as did John Mara of the Giants. It was Smith's failure to pass it along. It's. no different than UPS dealing with teamster president James Hoffa. No company or football owners in their right mind would ratify a union contract, without the assurance and prior approval of the union president. I believe that would violate labor laws. Player reps may not have seen the ratified contract, however that is not the fault of owners.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by CoolBreeze
                            This deal was hammered out with De Smith, that's his job. In an interview with Carolina owner Jerry Richardson, he said that, as did John Mara of the Giants. It was Smith's failure to pass it along. It's. no different than UPS dealing with teamster president James Hoffa. No company or football owners in their right mind would ratify a union contract, without the assurance and prior approval of the union president. I believe that would violate labor laws. Player reps may not have seen the ratified contract, however that is not the fault of owners.
                            Exactly.

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

What was the resolution about the pre season?

Will they cut the preseason and add two reg season games?

Comment

Working...
                              X