PDA

View Full Version : Interesting details of Cam's possible deal... Dareus related

X-Era
07-22-2011, 03:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/cam-newton-will-only-make-22-million-in-first-four-seasons/

"Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reported that NFLPA* reps were told in a presentation Wednesday that Cam Newton (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=6491) would make $22 million in the first four years of his contract. The Panthers will have a fifth year option which the players estimate would be worth $14 million, for an estimate of $36 million over five years."

Very interesting and makes total sense. I saw the Newton # at 5 for 35. I wondered how the 5th option year would work. Turns out it would be written in with the top 5 average pay at the position and that the team can then choose to pay it or make the player a UFA.

On Dareus, I think we may be seeing 5 years for 30 mill and now that we know the 5th year which is the average of the top 5 at the position is how it's written, we can determine the overall contract.

So, I think were looking at 10-12 mill for that 5th year. That means the other 4 years are 18-20 mill over 4 years or an average per year pay of between 4.5 and 5 mill per.

Having it be known contract parameters will really speed up the deal and help get these guys in on time.

X-Era
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
If 106 is the cap floor, and if were at 82.5:

106-82.5 = 23.5 mill to spend

Dareus- 5 mill
Poz- 7 mill ( I don't think it will be that much)
Florence- 4 mill ( I don't see it being that much)

16 mill spent leaves 7.5 left with only your 2nd rounder and beyond left.

There's room for one higher UFA or several UFA's even to meet a 89% floor. These numbers are the worst case.

Night Train
07-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Somewhere, Chris Kelsay is rubbing his hands together in anticipation...

jamze132
07-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Lot of guys are going to Dallas and Washington after their 4th season.

BillsFever21
07-22-2011, 09:23 PM
If this is what the contracts will be around after the new CBA then that is great news. That is a fair price for the top drafted players. No way should they have ever been getting 10-15 million a year and being one of the highest if not the highest paid player at their position.

I would like to see 5 year contracts with a 6th year option for the Top 10 though. Either that or 4 years with a team option for 2 more years if they feel they are worth the money. Four or five years isn't that many years especially for a team like the Bills who doesn't spend a lot of money in FA or re-signing high paid players. We depend on the rookie contracts before they become FA's. I guess you have to take the good with the bad though.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Going all in for Andrew Luck seems a heck of a lot more viable now.