PDA

View Full Version : This is a pissing match

chernobylwraiths
07-22-2011, 10:19 PM
What the owners did was wrong. It might be a reverse on how the players bent them over a barrel in the last CBA negotiation and an attempt to tweak the players this time. But it was a little underhanded how they did this.

However.

This looks to me like the players don't want to look like the ones to cave, and I think that might be a serious error on their part. I have heard nothing on what in the CBA that the owners agreed to is the sticking point. It almost feels like they are not agreeing to it because they can, and if it turns out that they don't really have any reason to do it, it will backfire tremendously.

feldspar
07-22-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't know, but it seems very possible that the players want a chance to understand exactly what they are agreeing to before they agree. That's exactly what the owners should have done last time instead of rushing to sign on the dotted line.

SeatownBillsFan21
07-23-2011, 12:20 AM
The owners didn't want to lose money so they voted on something they thought that the players reps had agreed to why else would they have voted? The players said the owners snuck things into the CBA but fail to say what those things were.So now we have this and it's looking like preseason game are going to get canceled as a result.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Exactly Cher. What was underhanded by the owners??? What does that mean?

Dujek
07-23-2011, 04:04 AM
All the owners did was vote on the deal that was agreed with the NFLPA's representatives, and add in details of how they would share revenue among themselves.

The NFLPA not communicating the deal properly to their player representatives during the latter stages of negotiations is in no way the fault of the owners.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 07:03 AM
All the owners did was vote on the deal that was agreed with the NFLPA's representatives, and add in details of how they would share revenue among themselves.

The NFLPA not communicating the deal properly to their player representatives during the latter stages of negotiations is in no way the fault of the owners.Exactly.

Maybe they should have found a conference room that seats 1932 people.

paranoid
07-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Obviously D. Smith had no way to communicate the elements of the deal to the players or to assist in reviewing the proposal in any way.

If only there were some way to instantly disseminate documents to large groups of people, maybe with clarifications of key points and recommendations, in some sort of "mail." Perhaps it could be done electronically some how.

Jan Reimers
07-23-2011, 08:22 AM
How many players would actually read an entire CBA document? Isn't that the job of their negotiating team and their player reps?

X-Era
07-23-2011, 08:25 AM
How many players would actually read an entire CBA document? Isn't that the job of their negotiating team and their player reps? would or could? It may be a low number either way.

don137
07-23-2011, 08:39 AM
The players can take Nancy Pelosi's philosophy of needing to pass the deal to find out what is in it.

DraftBoy
07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
would or could? It may be a low number either way.
Do we really need to take shots at players perceived lack of intelligence in this matter?

If I was signing a 10 year contract Id want to read every single word as well. Any of us would. I know we all want football back but some of you guys are way to unrealistic with your demands.

Any player/owner/person who would sign/vote on this CBA without reading it first is not making a very smart move.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Do we really need to take shots at players perceived lack of intelligence in this matter?

If I was signing a 10 year contract Id want to read every single word as well. Any of us would. I know we all want football back but some of you guys are way to unrealistic with your demands.

Any player/owner/person who would sign/vote on this CBA without reading it first is not making a very smart move.Personally, I don't think I could understand all the legaleez. Not understanding lawyers speak doesn't make someone dumb.

TacklingDummy
07-23-2011, 09:37 AM
When legally blind governor Patterson vetoed 6899 budget bills in 29 hours do you think he read every one of them?

DraftBoy
07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Personally, I don't think I could understand all the legaleez. Not understanding lawyers speak doesn't make someone dumb.

Each player has an agent who has a law degree who does speak legalese and if they dont they should hire one.

DraftBoy
07-23-2011, 10:23 AM
When legally blind governor Patterson vetoed 6899 budget bills in 29 hours do you think he read every one of them?

Do you really want to compare government officials to NFL players? The relevance in that analogy is severely lacking and just because somebody is blind does not inhibit them from going over a document.

Mr. Pink
07-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Personally, I don't think I could understand all the legaleez. Not understanding lawyers speak doesn't make someone dumb.

Meanwhile, almost everyone is in agreement that the owners agreed to a bad deal for themselves last time and now these same people are ripping apart the players for wanting to make sure they themselves don't agree to something that could be a bad deal for them.

Hypocrisy in action!

TacklingDummy
07-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Do you really want to compare government officials to NFL players? The relevance in that analogy is severely lacking and just because somebody is blind does not inhibit them from going over a document.

Yeah I'm sure he went over 6899 budget bills in 29 hours, legally blind or not.

I doubt highly many players read the last contract.

DraftBoy
07-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah I'm sure he went over 6899 budget bills in 29 hours, legally blind or not.

I doubt highly many players read the last contract.

Just because the veto process occurred over a 29 hour period does not mean the bills were not gone over constantly through the year long budget process that occurs in government.

Like I said your analogy is a poor one and bears little to no relevance in the point you're trying to make.

better days
07-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Obviously D. Smith had no way to communicate the elements of the deal to the players or to assist in reviewing the proposal in any way.

If only there were some way to instantly disseminate documents to large groups of people, maybe with clarifications of key points and recommendations, in some sort of "mail." Perhaps it could be done electronically some how.

Email, what a great concept.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Email, what a great concept.
Maybe they don't want the information to get hacked.

BLeonard
07-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Looks like they're changing the cover of Madden...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/BLeonard1996/Madden12.jpg

-Bill

Luisito23
07-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Faxes?

YardRat
07-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Any player/owner/person who would sign/vote on this CBA without reading it first is not making a very smart move.

I think it's unrealistic to think that the majority of the membership would read, or even want to read, the entire document. I think you'd be surprised at the percentage of union members in any industry that have actually read their contracts.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 12:09 PM
While we wait for the players to reform their vagina it's worth noting that some of the Bills players are headed back to Buff or are already there. Stevie got on a plane this morning to get back to Buff.

Luisito23
07-23-2011, 12:12 PM
This will get done by Monday at the latest...It's absurd to think that it'll take weeks, and that any pre-season games will be lost.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 12:13 PM
This will get done by Monday at the latest...It's absurd to think that it'll take weeks, and that any pre-season games will be lost.I think we may see a vote today or tomorrow... Monday at the latest.

chernobylwraiths
07-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Wait till you buy a house.

chernobylwraiths
07-23-2011, 01:12 PM
This will get done by Monday at the latest...It's absurd to think that it'll take weeks, and that any pre-season games will be lost.

Hall of Fame game is already lost.

DraftBoy
07-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I think it's unrealistic to think that the majority of the membership would read, or even want to read, the entire document. I think you'd be surprised at the percentage of union members in any industry that have actually read their contracts.

I wouldnt be surprised, you forget my opinion on people as a whole.

My point is that I cant find a legitimate reason to get upset with anybody who wishes to actually see and read a 10 year agreement before they vote/sign it.

DraftBoy
07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Wait till you buy a house.

For what?

Ive bought property, read every line of the contract. Did you not do the same?

X-Era
07-23-2011, 01:56 PM
I wouldnt be surprised, you forget my opinion on people as a whole.

My point is that I cant find a legitimate reason to get upset with anybody who wishes to actually see and read a 10 year agreement before they vote/sign it.Nor can I. I find it funny that some ran their mouths about stuff getting slipped in before even reading it.

Mr. Pink
07-23-2011, 01:56 PM
For what?

Anyone who signs a contract of any sort and does not read every single line it before they sign it, frankly is an idiot.

better days
07-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Anyone who signs a contract of any sort and does not read every single line it before they sign it, frankly is an idiot.

After hearing many players talk, I doubt many of them can read a contract let alone understand it. Their best bet is to listen to what De Smith tells them to do. That is after all the reason they hired him in the 1st place.

chernobylwraiths
07-23-2011, 03:16 PM
For what?

Please. Nobody has that much time. That is what your lawyers are for. There are probably a hundred pages in a contract to sign a house.

chernobylwraiths
07-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

better days
07-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Please. Nobody has that much time. That is what your lawyers are for. There are probably a hundred pages in a contract to sign a house.

And most in fine print.