X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

This is a pissing match

What the owners did was wrong. It might be a reverse on how the players bent them over a barrel in the last CBA negotiation and an attempt to tweak the players this time. But it was a little underhanded how they did this.

However.

This looks to me like the players don't want to look like the ones to cave, and I think that might be a serious error on their part. I have heard nothing on what in the CBA that the owners agreed to is the sticking point. It almost feels like they are not agreeing to it because they can, and if it turns out that they don't really have any reason to do it, it will backfire tremendously.
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: This is a pissing match

I don't know, but it seems very possible that the players want a chance to understand exactly what they are agreeing to before they agree. That's exactly what the owners should have done last time instead of rushing to sign on the dotted line.

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
      • Mar 2004

The owners didn't want to lose money so they voted on something they thought that the players reps had agreed to why else would they have voted? The players said the owners snuck things into the CBA but fail to say what those things were.So now we have this and it's looking like preseason game are going to get canceled as a result.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Exactly Cher. What was underhanded by the owners??? What does that mean?

Comment

• Dujek
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2008

All the owners did was vote on the deal that was agreed with the NFLPA's representatives, and add in details of how they would share revenue among themselves.

The NFLPA not communicating the deal properly to their player representatives during the latter stages of negotiations is in no way the fault of the owners.

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dujek
            All the owners did was vote on the deal that was agreed with the NFLPA's representatives, and add in details of how they would share revenue among themselves.

The NFLPA not communicating the deal properly to their player representatives during the latter stages of negotiations is in no way the fault of the owners.
            Exactly.

Maybe they should have found a conference room that seats 1932 people.
            Last edited by X-Era; 07-23-2011, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• paranoid
              • Sep 2009

Obviously D. Smith had no way to communicate the elements of the deal to the players or to assist in reviewing the proposal in any way.

If only there were some way to instantly disseminate documents to large groups of people, maybe with clarifications of key points and recommendations, in some sort of "mail." Perhaps it could be done electronically some how.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

How many players would actually read an entire CBA document? Isn't that the job of their negotiating team and their player reps?
                Last edited by X-Era; 07-23-2011, 08:25 AM.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  How many players would actually read an entire CBA document? Isn't that the job of their negotiating team and their player reps?
                  would or could? It may be a low number either way.

Comment

• don137
                    • Jul 2002

The players can take Nancy Pelosi's philosophy of needing to pass the deal to find out what is in it.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                      would or could? It may be a low number either way.
                      Do we really need to take shots at players perceived lack of intelligence in this matter?

If I was signing a 10 year contract Id want to read every single word as well. Any of us would. I know we all want football back but some of you guys are way to unrealistic with your demands.

Any player/owner/person who would sign/vote on this CBA without reading it first is not making a very smart move.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Do we really need to take shots at players perceived lack of intelligence in this matter?

If I was signing a 10 year contract Id want to read every single word as well. Any of us would. I know we all want football back but some of you guys are way to unrealistic with your demands.

Any player/owner/person who would sign/vote on this CBA without reading it first is not making a very smart move.
                        Personally, I don't think I could understand all the legaleez. Not understanding lawyers speak doesn't make someone dumb.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

When legally blind governor Patterson vetoed 6899 budget bills in 29 hours do you think he read every one of them?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                            Personally, I don't think I could understand all the legaleez. Not understanding lawyers speak doesn't make someone dumb.
                            Each player has an agent who has a law degree who does speak legalese and if they dont they should hire one.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                              When legally blind governor Patterson vetoed 6899 budget bills in 29 hours do you think he read every one of them?
                              Do you really want to compare government officials to NFL players? The relevance in that analogy is severely lacking and just because somebody is blind does not inhibit them from going over a document.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X