PDA

View Full Version : New CBA news- Players will talk and may vote Monday

X-Era
07-23-2011, 03:33 PM
NFLPA will meet on Monday and will likely accept the deal then.
the NFL will then allow players to start coming in on Wed.
The NFLPA will form a union again by around Friday and we could see TC by next Saturday.
They made huge strides today and are close to resolving the Doty case. Not much left to work out.

Clayton just reported.

http://twitter.com/#!/mortreport/status/94867896928448513

"John Clayton and I reporting major progress in talks today. Players committee meet Monday in DC to hopefully recommend approval."

jamze132
07-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't holdy breath.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 04:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6796174/2011-nfl-lockout-nfl-sides-eye-camps-recertify-vote-source-says?campaign=rss&source=DALLASHeadlines

BLeonard
07-23-2011, 04:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6796174/2011-nfl-lockout-nfl-sides-eye-camps-recertify-vote-source-says?campaign=rss&source=DALLASHeadlines

Under the plan, players would begin reporting to training camps as early as Wednesday to physically vote on whether to recertify, with the hope that it will be done by Friday at the earliest, the source said.

A couple things I don't get...

1: Why are the players so hell-bent on physically voting at the training camps? If they are going to vote, I assume they think it will pass... Why not just do it electronically? It would be much quicker and you'd probably get the votes back quicker.

2: What happens if they report to camp, hold their vote, then find out they don't have the votes to recertify? I assume they'd be locked out again and we'd start all over?

Just from this paragraph I quoted, it seems like the players are just being ridiculously stubborn to do this "their way," as opposed to what would get the result quicker. If they're going vote to recertify in person, why would there be a different vote electronically?

Just seems like the players are being babies about something that should be so simple. Unless I'm missing something...

-Bill

Michael82
07-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Am I the only one that hates the idea of free agency beginning on the same day as the start of training camp? There should be a few days between the two. But with what the owners said in their timeline and because they don't want to lose pre-season games...it sounds like camp will begin on Saturday and the league will open up for business on the same day. That means that FA will begin. So now you have a ton of players (FAs) that will already miss the first few practices, depending on how long they take to sign.

BLeonard
07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Am I the only one that hates the idea of free agency beginning on the same day as the start of training camp? There should be a few days between the two. But with what the owners said in their timeline and because they don't want to lose pre-season games...it sounds like camp will begin on Saturday and the league will open up for business on the same day. That means that FA will begin. So now you have a ton of players (FAs) that will already will the first few practices, depending on how long they take to sign.

You wanna know why they don't wanna lose preseason games? Check this out: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/30/the-cost-of-a-preseason-game/

Jerry Roper, head of the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, tells the Chicago Sun-Times that a missed preseason game costs the city $3 million before concessions are taken into account. Add that, and the total is closer to $7-$8 million, which Roper calls conservative.

In a tweet to Cris Collinsworth Wednesday, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote: “Many misunderstand preseason revenue. All goes into cap. Each preseason week worth $200 million in revenue for players/teams.”

...And so many people thought they were worthless... Now, you know why they insist on having them.

-Bill

better days
07-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Am I the only one that hates the idea of free agency beginning on the same day as the start of training camp? There should be a few days between the two. But with what the owners said in their timeline and because they don't want to lose pre-season games...it sounds like camp will begin on Saturday and the league will open up for business on the same day. That means that FA will begin. So now you have a ton of players (FAs) that will already will the first few practices, depending on how long they take to sign.

Free Agents & teams both will be under the gun to expidite the process. I think most FA will resign with their current team.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Am I the only one that hates the idea of free agency beginning on the same day as the start of training camp? There should be a few days between the two. But with what the owners said in their timeline and because they don't want to lose pre-season games...it sounds like camp will begin on Saturday and the league will open up for business on the same day. That means that FA will begin. So now you have a ton of players (FAs) that will already will the first few practices, depending on how long they take to sign.No your not. I think it's ridiculous. Basically you will see a scramble to add enough UDFA's to fill a 90 man and then some will get cut as UFA's are added.

I hate how the timeline is playing out for a young team that needs as much time to jell as possible. I could easily see the week one starting roster not being set until late August. We may not even have all our UFA's signed until then. I expect sloppy play early in the season.

On FA, We talking about many significant players getting cut days or a day before FA. They better fire up the war room because we will need to be paying close attention.

The only upside is that the frenzy will be crazy enough with a huge number out there that a patient team may get a great deal on a good player if they wait till others spend their money.

Michael82
07-23-2011, 05:10 PM
You wanna know why they don't wanna lose preseason games? Check this out: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/30/the-cost-of-a-preseason-game/

...And so many people thought they were worthless... Now, you know why they insist on having them.

-Bill

Of course...because the *******s charge fans full price for those pathetic pre-season warmups. :ill:

Michael82
07-23-2011, 05:12 PM
No your not. I think it's ridiculous. Basically you will see a scramble to add enough UDFA's to fill a 90 man and then some will get cut as UFA's are added.

I hate how the timeline is playing out for a young team that needs as much time to jell as possible. I could easily see the week one starting roster not being set until late August. We may not even have all our UFA's signed until then. I expect sloppy play early in the season.

On FA, We talking about many significant players getting cut days or a day before FA. The better fire up the war room because we will need to be paying close attention.

The only upside is that the frenzy will be crazy enough with a huge number out there that a patient team may get a great deal on a good player if they wait till others spend their money.

Exactly! With how rushed this is going to be, I forsee a ton of injuries, record amount. I also see sloppy, crappy football for the first full month. Then once everyone starts to get, it will be better. I also think that teams like the Bills who need this time to get the young 1st and 2nd year players ready are going to be hurt the most. They won't gel with the team right away and will be behind.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Of course...because the *******s charge fans full price for those pathetic pre-season warmups. :ill:An interesting twist (if your a optimist) is that the extremely reduced number of days in pads may lead HC's to play their starters much more in the preseason. That's the coaches call and he will want them to be ready to play when the season starts. I think the number of injuries in TC will be drastically reduced but we may see more in preseason games or in the regular season.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/mortreport/status/94894007926272000

"Goodell & Smith working directly on ouple finishing details but trust is there & determined. In fact, Goodell may be invited to Mon. presser"

TigerJ
07-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Free Agents & teams both will be under the gun to expidite the process. I think most FA will resign with their current team.Except that teams like the New York Jets are well over the new cap and are going to have to do some serious restructuring and cutting to be in compliance. It'll be tough for the Jets to resign some of their FAs.

Michael82
07-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Rumor is that the league year will begin on Wednesday and training camps will open on Friday. That gives a couple days at least. :up:

BLeonard
07-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Except that teams like the New York Jets are well over the new cap and are going to have to do some serious restructuring and cutting to be in compliance. It'll be tough for the Jets to resign some of their FAs.

Or, maybe not....

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2011/07/there-could-be-some-surprising-elements-to-the-new-cba-deal-in-the-nfl/

I’ve learned from people close to the negotiations that we may not see the massive cap casualties that we’ve expected. In fact, there may not be any penalties for teams who are over the $120 million dollar threshold. What that would allow teams to do is hang onto veterans, if they so choose, without penalty. What was less clear to me was whether or not we’ll actually even see a salary cap. It is my understanding that for the first few years of this deal, the “cap” on spending could be soft or even non-existant.

Now why would the owners agree to that? Isn’t that the baseball model that has created such a disparity between the haves and the have nots? Yes and no.

Many on the players side believe that this CBA has as much to do with the big market owners trying to find a way to force out the owners of small market teams as it does with finding a way to split up money between players and owners. There is big TV money on the way and both the players and owners know this. I promise you that if Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones were in charge of getting a deal done, they would have made the minimum spending $140 million or more and they would have agreed to a CBA a LONG TIME AGO. According to my sources, many owners view this CBA as their big opportunity to get rid of owners they don’t like.

That doesn't sound good....

-Bill

YardRat
07-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I'd rather see a couple days of FA before camp opens also. I don't necessarily see a frenzy on UDFA's just to load up rosters to the max, but the first week could be a little bit hectic trying to lure some vet VA's into the fold.

X-Era
07-23-2011, 08:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6796174/2011-nfl-lockout-nflpa-eyes-cba-vote-monday-recertification-vote-wednesday-source-says

YardRat
07-23-2011, 09:15 PM
If the executive committee accepts the new CBA, players from certain teams would be allowed to report to training camps on Wednesday and players from other teams will be asked to report to training camps Friday, a source said.

WTF is that? Why not just allow everybody to report at the same time?

(T)he pre-league year buffer period could start Wednesday.

Under that scenario, teams could potentially open contract talks with their own unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents and draft choices Wednesday. However, no contracts could be signed until July 30 at the earliest. In that scenario, teams would also be able to renegotiate contracts with players from their own team starting as early as Wednesday.

Upon recertification of the union, free agency could start at 2 p.m. ET on July 30 and rosters would be allowed to expand to 90 players.

It is still uncertain when teams would be able to sign undrafted free agents.

Sounds like they don't want UDFA's interfering with the FA period.

X-Era
07-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Freeman from CBS says a player source told him it's a done deal:

http://mike-freeman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/30827421

X-Era
07-24-2011, 08:17 AM
ESPN is saying the same thing:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6797238/2011-nfl-lockout-owners-players-come-deal-all-points-sources-say

Michael82
07-24-2011, 10:24 AM
If the executive committee accepts the new CBA, players from certain teams would be allowed to report to training camps on Wednesday and players from other teams will be asked to report to training camps Friday, a source said.

WTF is that? Why not just allow everybody to report at the same time?

Probably because they want to be able to collect all the names in person and it's easier having the first day of camp on two different days for 1/2 the league. Besides, there were teams like the Bills that have already had Friday set as the official start of training camp. Maybe they couldn't get the schools/facilities ready by Wednesday? :idunno:

X-Era
07-24-2011, 08:15 PM
News is that Brees has sent a e-mail saying tomorrow is expected to be the big day with a press conference to announce the deal.

http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/95297475094654977
http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/95297680728797184
http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/95297936577138688