PDA

View Full Version : A battle for Luck?

X-Era
07-24-2011, 09:09 AM
A vote (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=5301) held here last year indicated the majority of voters would prefer to do whatever it takes to move up for Luck or the #2 QB in this years draft assuming Fitz isn't our answer.

But what would it cost to do that? Well, the number of picks necessary could be going up because the financial cost of signing him will go way down. NFLDraftInsider (http://twitter.com/#%21/NFLDraftInsider/status/95126797632540672) postulates that teams won't be as scared to do it anymore. It's not unreasonable to assume teams will be willing to part with even more picks than before because the financial cost is now less. A team that needs the best propsect that they can get at a position like QB and doesn't have a whole host of other needs may be willing to part with picks to move up. If Luck continues his stellar college career, he will be a sure lock to go #1 next year. Many think he's the best QB prospect since Manning. Since it will be cheaper to sign him, would a team like the Bills be more willing to trade up for him if they need to?

Sure, financially it will be cheaper, but for a team that wants to build through the draft like the Bills, The cost would seem very high. Picks are picks and when you trade them, you trade the rights to other players. Players who also will be cheaper than before. The draft allows you to get highly touted prospects without having to compete. You simply can draft players where you are slotted to draft them based on your record. And you are drafting the n-best player theoretically because you are picking at position n. To the Bills, the move would be more about trading away picks than money. Will they be willing to do that? Other teams might.

If the notion that teams will be more willing to move picks because the money to sign players will be less, the battle to trade up for Luck may be something we have never seen before.

k-oneputt
07-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Would you be willing to trade your whole draft next year for him ? seven picks.

X-Era
07-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Would you be willing to trade your whole draft next year for him ? seven picks.I wouldn't.

But, if the Bills make significant strides in FA and if they end up grabbing very good UDFA's and if they get their big UFA signed before next years draft... I would be willing to trade more picks than usual. Ohh and if Fitz proves to not be the answer.

I think a team may do that like the Ditka move. Especially when the financial cost is less.

k-oneputt
07-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Ditka was stupid. Who trades their whole draft for a rb ?

I would trade the whole draft if I thought Luck was a can't miss franchise qb. Although at this time I am not as sold as everyone else. Come December I may be.

X-Era
07-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Ditka was stupid. Who trades their whole draft for a rb ?

I would trade the whole draft if I thought Luck was a can't miss franchise qb. Although at this time I am not as sold as everyone else. Come December I may be.I would only be able to agree to it if I was convinced he was the future of the franchise at QB and if the team is solid enough to survive missing out on those picks. It would take a lot for the Bills to be in that position.

The money is no longer the issue and I know Nix has commented on how much you have to pay them before. But it's also anti-Nix who doesn't want to part with his picks.

Mski
07-27-2011, 01:08 PM
we can always do what the Cav's did to get James, and just throw the season ensuring we get the #1 without losing any picks

DraftBoy
07-29-2011, 07:01 AM
Its a three team race at this point;
Washington-Buffalo-Cincy

May the ****tiest team win!

Ginger Vitis
07-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Its a three team race at this point;
Washington-Buffalo-Cincy

May the ****tiest team win!

Ahh didn't you have the Bills picking 9th overall in your Mock draft?

DraftBoy
07-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Ahh didn't you have the Bills picking 9th overall in your Mock draft?

I did, only version 1.0 though.

nolimit
07-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Ok....how much...if any....of a drop off is barkley or Landry Jones compared to Luck???

DraftBoy
08-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Ok....how much...if any....of a drop off is barkley or Landry Jones compared to Luck???
Its a substantial drop off.

Both Barkley and Jones have enormous potential but Barkley still makes poor decisions with the football too often, and Jones is too content with drop offs and short passes and allows his WR's to do the work in YAC.

Jones YPA is 7.6 where as Luck's is 8.9.

Ed
08-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Whichever team ends up picking #1 is probably going to be in desperate need of a qb. If Luck does end up being the best qb prospect since Manning, why would any team give up the chance to draft him? Let's say Fitz plays terrible and the Bills end up with the number 1 pick. Would you trade it away for another teams draft?

YardRat
08-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Whichever team ends up picking #1 is probably going to be in desperate need of a qb. If Luck does end up being the best qb prospect since Manning, why would any team give up the chance to draft him? Let's say Fitz plays terrible and the Bills end up with the number 1 pick. Would you trade it away for another teams draft?

Ohhhh...Good question.

I would say absolutely yes.

Dr. Lecter
08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
The battle for Luck will happen on October 2nd and October 30th when the Bills play the Bengals and Redskins, unless the 49ers outsuck all 3 of those teams