PDA

View Full Version : Field changes at St. John Fisher

scartown
07-24-2011, 10:51 AM
It looks like SJF replaced one of their grass fields with a track and field complex. The team can't be happy about this. I wonder how this will effect future traning camps there.

http://tinyurl.com/3b7rs3a

Night Train
07-24-2011, 12:02 PM
I like the idea of camp in Rochester, since the loyalty of those area fans are top notch.

However, the setup for fans at SJF has been substandard for years. Those dumb VIP tents take up 70 yards of sidelenes on the main field, with bleacher seating for the last 30 yards. Bad sightlines, unless they're down at the one end.

I used to make the 75 minute drive 2-3 times a summer but the later afternoon times mean rush hour traffic for the return trip is a given. Night practices mean getting home at 11pm.

Still, it's only a shade over 3 weeks and it's done. Surprised some local TV stations don't set up a few cameras and broadcast it.

YardRat
07-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Bring 'em back to Fredonia!

Night Train
07-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Bring 'em back to Fredonia!

That was horrid, with no more than 200 people in attendance, standing a mile away from the action. Completely fan unfriendly and no one would come.

It should stay in Rochester, or maybe somewhere half way down the thruway, around Batavia. An outside idea would be Niagara Falls.

YardRat
07-24-2011, 12:18 PM
That was horrid, with no more than 200 people in attendance, standing a mile away from the action. Completely fan unfriendly and no one would come.

It should stay in Rochester, or maybe somewhere half way down the thruway, around Batavia. An outside idea would be Niagara Falls.

We were winners when camp was at Fredonia State.

The Bills moved their training camp in 2000 to St. John Fisher College near Rochester, NY.

Coincidence?

I think not.

tampabay25690
07-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Wouldnt be surprised to see them at UB sometime soon anyway....

Michael82
07-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I like the idea of camp in Rochester, since the loyalty of those area fans are top notch.

However, the setup for fans at SJF has been substandard for years. Those dumb VIP tents take up 70 yards of sidelenes on the main field, with bleacher seating for the last 30 yards. Bad sightlines, unless they're down at the one end.

I used to make the 75 minute drive 2-3 times a summer but the later afternoon times mean rush hour traffic for the return trip is a given. Night practices mean getting home at 11pm.

Still, it's only a shade over 3 weeks and it's done. Surprised some local TV stations don't set up a few cameras and broadcast it.

That's the good part about it being moved to the new track and field. Fisher built a big 1,000 seat bleacher. They also will now most likely split the field in half...defense on one side and offense on the other. You should be able to get more fan friendly views. I'm worried what the vip seating is going to do though. :ill:

Michael82
07-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Wouldnt be surprised to see them at UB sometime soon anyway....

I don't see that. Not at all. If they moved training camp anywhere, it would move closer to Toronto or at a different school in Rochester. The point of training camp is for the team to get away from all the distractions, family life and all that. But it's also a huge tool for marketing and it's how they expanded their Rochester fan base. Getting rid of it from Rochester would be a terrible idea!

BillyT92679
07-24-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm a Fisher alum, so I am biased, but Fisher has done an absolutely tremendous job for the Bills. They have a wonderful relationship and I don't expect a chance anytime soon. Don Bain (Fisher's President and a great guy) and Russ Brandon (a Fisher alum) have a very good relationship

superbills
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Word is, the Bills are NOT happy with SJF over this new setup (radio blurb on 97 rock this morning so take it for what it's worth). If this is true, with the contract expiring after this year, I wouldn't be surprised if look elsewhere for a training camp home.

justasportsfan
07-25-2011, 09:16 AM
We were winners when camp was at Fredonia State.

The Bills moved their training camp in 2000 to St. John Fisher College near Rochester, NY.

Coincidence?

I think not.

lol. Fredonia was not the reason we won. Polian was.

DrGraves
07-25-2011, 12:03 PM
i completely agree with yardrat... the last time this team was good was when they were in fredonia. no distractions in that nice little community, they can focus on football.

Michael82
07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Word is, the Bills are NOT happy with SJF over this new setup (radio blurb on 97 rock this morning so take it for what it's worth). If this is true, with the contract expiring after this year, I wouldn't be surprised if look elsewhere for a training camp home.

They were just talking about the article. I saw several interviews in Rochester where Russ Brandon said that he knew about the new Track and Field stadium that was being built. He wasn't happy about it...but they love St. John Fisher and have spent a ton of money on that school to upgrade the locker rooms, and tons of money has been used to help upgrade the dorms and do other things to that school. Plus they love having the Rochester connection alive because it's a good way to help lure new season ticket holders and sponsors to the team. He sounded very optimistic and said that they are working on a new contract extension with the school.

scartown
07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
I have never been to SJF, do they have enough area to make another field? That could be a future option.

Michael82
07-25-2011, 12:20 PM
I have never been to SJF, do they have enough area to make another field? That could be a future option.

I'm not sure...but I don't see why this field will be a big issue. They still have the turf at Growney Stadium that they use on night practices and the new grass field inside the track is 100 yards and can be split in half. They didn't use both fields that often...but they liked to switch it up sometimes and do the individual work on the separate fields.

YardRat
07-25-2011, 02:47 PM
SJF IS 0-11 FOR THE PLAY-OFFS!

THE DUMP MUST'VE BEEN BUILT ON AN INDIAN BURIAL SITE!!

MOVE BACK TO FREDONIA, AND BACK TO THE SUPER BOWL !!!!

superbills
07-25-2011, 03:55 PM
They were just talking about the article. I saw several interviews in Rochester where Russ Brandon said that he knew about the new Track and Field stadium that was being built. He wasn't happy about it...but they love St. John Fisher and have spent a ton of money on that school to upgrade the locker rooms, and tons of money has been used to help upgrade the dorms and do other things to that school. Plus they love having the Rochester connection alive because it's a good way to help lure new season ticket holders and sponsors to the team. He sounded very optimistic and said that they are working on a new contract extension with the school.

I hope you're right. The "regionalization" of the team is going to be critical in the long run and having the camp in Rochester can only help toward that goal. Besides, it means that we get our daily dose of camp picks from you Mikey! :cheers: