PDA

View Full Version : Mario Harvey - ILB - Marshall - Reportedly Signed by Bills

Night Train
07-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Built like Mike Singletary and plays with his type of passion.

A 5'11" 250 lb fireplug who accumulated over 400 tackles in his career at Marshall. Had 143 tackles this year, 17.5 tfl's and 8.5 sacks. Allegedly runs a 4.35 40. Got the nickname Thumper from one of his coaches during his first practice, when he laid out an OL.

2 time all C-USA.
Butkus Award semi finalist, the only non BCS player to make it that far.

Not bad.

elltrain22
07-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Could easily make this team. Very excited if this is true!!

Forward_Lateral
07-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Sounds like London Fletcher!

tampabay25690
07-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Could easily make this team. Very excited if this is true!!

It is true.
That was a signing late last nite...

This was the guy I wanted out of all the FA signings.
I very well think he makes this team.
Only adds another good body to compete for the ILB position.

If you wanna run a 3-4 u need bodies at the LB position bottom line.

tampabay25690
07-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Sounds like London Fletcher!

Yea u are right.
Maybe a little more stout then London....

psubills62
07-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Very happy about this. Have a hard time understanding why this kid wasn't drafted. Fine by me, though.

I find it interesting that we have quite the glut of young, unproven LB's. It will be interesting to see if the cream rises to the top and who we end up keeping. Got a lot of LB's that have less than a year's experience.

Michael82
07-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Excellent pickup! He was on of the top ones on my list, along with that Herzlich kid.

bf1
07-26-2011, 09:23 AM
why wasn't he drafted?

ZAZusmc03
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Excellent pickup! He was on of the top ones on my list, along with that Herzlich kid.

Herzlich announced via Twitter that he is going w the Giants.

Meathead
07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
The Steelers have agreed to terms with the following undrafted rookie free agents. Profiles of the players will be available later on Steelers.com.

Vaughn Charlton, TE/HB (Temple)
John Clay, HB (Wisconsin)
Terrence McCrae, WR (Ohio)
Armand Robinson, WR (Miami University)
Adam Mims, WR (Furman)
Weslye Saunders, TE (South Carolina)
Colin Miller, C (Central Michigan)
Trevis Turner, OT (Abilene Christian)
Brent Greenwood, S (Iowa)
Niles Brinkley, CB (Wisconsin)
Eric Clanton, OLB (Citadel)
Mario Harvey, MLB (Marshall)
Miguel Chavis, DE (Clemson)
Anthony Gray, DT (Southern Miss)
Eric Greenwood, WR (Idaho)

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/15-undrafted-rookies-agree/19b814b1-122c-4816-80e5-66c654ace6ed

Michael82
07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Son of a *****! I was so excited about getting him. :mad:

Maximilli
07-26-2011, 09:57 AM
OK DID WE GET THIS GUY OR NOT WHO DID WE PICK UP

psubills62
07-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Wow, that's pretty disappointing. Freaking Pittsburgh...

ZAZusmc03
07-26-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm moving to Pittsburgh on the 8th of August, and if they snatched Harvey out from under us, my first order of business is to set heinz field on fire. Jus sayin

Michael82
07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm moving to Pittsburgh on the 8th of August, and if they snatched Harvey out from under us, my first order of business is to set heinz field on fire. Jus sayin

go for it!

Luisito23
07-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Let's move on from Harvey, and focus our attention on someone else...The guy wasn't drafted for a reason.

Bangarang
07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Let's move on from Harvey, and focus our attention on someone else...The guy wasn't drafted for a reason.

What? Going undrafted doesn't mean you can't contribute in the NFL. We had some undrafted guys contribute last season. James Harrison went undrafted and he's just an All Pro LB.

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Very sad news indeed...

justasportsfan
07-26-2011, 10:38 AM
who cares about a player who wasn't drafted in the 1st 2 rounds ?

Luisito23
07-26-2011, 10:38 AM
We had some undrafted guys contribute last season. James Harrison went undrafted and he's just an All Pro LB.

On a sorry team, with an even sorrier defense everybody is contributing...They're just not doing a good job at it...And how many James Harrisons do you think are signed in the NFL?

Bangarang
07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
On a sorry team, with an even sorrier defense everybody is contributing...They're just not doing a good job at it...And how many James Harrisons do you think are signed in the NFL?

I guess we shouldn't bother signing UDFAs. They obviously went undrafted in the first place. What's the point right? Any type of contribution would be negated by the fact that we're a bad team.

Am I missing something here?

Luisito23
07-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Other than missing my point, and twisting my comment, not much else...But wateva B. I don't got the time to be going back, and forth on differences of opinions.

So :peace: nariz.

Night Train
07-26-2011, 10:56 AM
There's a report out that Harvey changed his mind and signed with the Steelers. I noticed the NE site did remove his name from our signing list.

Bummer.

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
There's a report out that Harvey changed his mind and signed with the Steelers. I noticed the NE site did remove his name from our signing list.

Bummer.

That's accurate.

Buffalo Thriller
07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Screw Pitt

acehole
07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
bye poz...

Yea u are right.
Maybe a little more stout then London....

Ed
07-26-2011, 11:16 AM
If he was that good and we wanted him that bad, we should have used one of our 7th round picks on him.

I'm not buying his 4.35 40 time either.

Night Train
07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Anyone want a 2XL #59 Harvey jersey ?

I'll take $35.

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 11:34 AM
If he was that good and we wanted him that bad, we should have used one of our 7th round picks on him.

I'm not buying his 4.35 40 time either.

It wasn't 4.35 but it was under 4.5 flat.

tampabay25690
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Oh well

k-oneputt
07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I guarantee he doesn't run a 4.35. If he did he WOULD have been drafted.

cookie G
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
It wasn't 4.35 but it was under 4.5 flat.

Gil Brandt had him at 4.46, others had him at 4.42

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=77863&draftyear=2011&genpos=ILB

Would have loved to see him on special teams for us, if nothing else

superbills
07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
So riddle me this Batman...why does a guy like this who sounds so good on paper go undrafted? You mean to tell me that he's not better than the chicken feed that most teams draft in the 7th round? Draftboy? Someone? Please educate me on how a guy who reminds people of Mike feaking Singletary becomes an UDFA? Is it just his size? Thanks.

Ebenezer
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
So riddle me this Batman...why does a guy like this who sounds so good on paper go undrafted? You mean to tell me that he's not better than the chicken feed that most teams draft in the 7th round? Draftboy? Someone? Please educate me on how a guy who reminds people of Mike feaking Singletary becomes an UDFA? Is it just his size? Thanks.

The fault of analysis lies in the mental masturbation surrounding UDFA on message boards; not with the player or the professional talent evaluators.

OpIv37
07-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I guess we shouldn't bother signing UDFAs. They obviously went undrafted in the first place. What's the point right? Any type of contribution would be negated by the fact that we're a bad team.

Every team signs UDFA's because they basically have to in order to have enough camp bodies.

Occasionally, these guys make the team. Rarely, these guys turn out to be quality players, like James Harrison or Fred Jackson or Jason Peters.

But, keep in mind that dozens- maybe hundreds- of UDFA's are signed every year. Most never make the team, and few ever become superstars. There is nothing wrong with teams signing UDFA's, but there is something wrong with people comparing UDFA's to Mike Singletary before they've ever been to an NFL training camp, let alone played an actual down of NFL football.

Or, to say it more simply: UDFA's are camp fodder until they prove otherwise, and we should discuss them as such.

Ebenezer
07-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Or, to say it more simply: UDFA's are camp fodder until they prove otherwise, and we should discuss them as such.

or ignore them as the case may be.

Oaf
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I mean, if you could choose between learning under the Steelers LBs and learning under the Bills', who really would you choose?

mysticsoto
07-26-2011, 02:48 PM
I mean, if you could choose between learning under the Steelers LBs and learning under the Bills', who really would you choose?

I'm not sure I can agree with that type of thinking. He probably had a better chance to actually play here than there. If it's a choice between playing or sitting on the bench...which would you choose?

OpIv37
07-26-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure I can agree with that type of thinking. He probably had a better chance to actually play here than there. If it's a choice between playing or sitting on the bench...which would you choose?

You know, I used to think that the players wanted to play.

But after the latest round of labor negotiations, the players turned down additional games, demanded less off-season workouts, less contact during those workouts, and less contact during the season.

So, now I'm not so sure that they want to play. I think they want to get paid for doing as little as possible.

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Size. Its really that simple. At 5'11 he's a tweener between a 34 LB and a 43 LB also going to struggle in coverage, and struggle in getting through traffic.

Athletically he's gifted but the NFL is about having the right size.

mysticsoto
07-26-2011, 03:21 PM
You know, I used to think that the players wanted to play.

But after the latest round of labor negotiations, the players turned down additional games, demanded less off-season workouts, less contact during those workouts, and less contact during the season.

So, now I'm not so sure that they want to play. I think they want to get paid for doing as little as possible.

Well, in some ways, I think I see why they want this. This is mostly for veterans who may feel they already have proven what they know on the field and don't want to "beat themselves up" too much before the season actually starts. I mean, in today's age, how many injuries do we get in camp and early in the season. It's grueling and this may be their way of trying to last longer.

On the other hand, a UDFA has never played in the NFL and has to do any and everything to prove himself worthy. In his position, if you get a chance to play vs sit on a bench, you take it.

The only reason I can believe he preferred the Steelers is b'cse of the stigma the Bills carry of being such a poor team for over a decade now. I'm hoping that's turning around now - I like alot of what Chan is doing. But now we gotta produce. I'm excited to see how much Dareus helps and enhances our defense alongside Kyle Williams!!! I'm not expecting alot from him, but if Merriman is even halfway decent, I'm going to be loving our Dline (finally)!

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I guarantee he doesn't run a 4.35. If he did he WOULD have been drafted.

Probably not actually. WR Ricardo Lockette has a sub 4.35 verified time from scouts and went undrafted.

k-oneputt
07-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Lockette is a small school wr playing against db's who run 4.7's, Harvey is 250 lbs. Guys who weigh 250 and play inside lb get drafted at those forty times. Must be more to his story. No need to go any further.

Goobylal
07-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah but the Bills have Dave Wannstedt at ILB coach.

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Lockette is a small school wr playing against db's who run 4.7's, Harvey is 250 lbs. Guys who weigh 250 and play inside lb get drafted at those forty times. Must be more to his story. No need to go any further.

Over statement, and you are putting for too much in a simple 40 time. 40 times never get you drafted.

k-oneputt
07-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Over statement, and you are putting for too much in a simple 40 time. 40 times never get you drafted.

You are right because that 4.35 is bs.
Because if it was legit Al davis would have drafted him.