• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Mike Brown: Carson Palmer is retired

Not really Bills related, so if a Mod needs to move it, that's fine... Just figured with all the NFL news that's going to be flowing in the next couple days, people would be interested in seeing it.

The latest news is no news on Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer.Bengals owner Mike Brown and head coach Marvin Lewis met with the media Tuesday to discuss the start of the 2011 season.

"He has retired. I wish him well," Brown said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. "If he is going to walk away from his commitment, we're not going to reward it."
    Shocks me a bit that both sides are still so stubborn, especially with the lockout just ending.

-Bill
  • SeatownBillsFan21
    • Mar 2004

Re: Mike Brown: Carson Palmer is retired

Wow that is stupid

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

...until the right team offers us a package that we like...then we'll be happy to trade him.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Don't worry- I'm sure Palmer has plenty of savings from all those years of playing at USC.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Don't worry- I'm sure Palmer has plenty of savings from all those years of playing at USC.
          He was quoted as saying he had $80mil in the bank.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer
            He was quoted as saying he had $80mil in the bank.
            From his days at USC?
            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

Who can blame the guy.. He wants out of Cincinnati that badly. He'd rather not play at all then to stay there

This is Barrie Sanders part deux

Comment

• BLeonard
                BoB Sabermetrician
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
                Who can blame the guy.. He wants out of Cincinnati that badly. He'd rather not play at all then to stay there

Maybe he shouldn't have signed an extension that extended through 2014, then...?

Not defending the Bengals, per se, but I don't have much sympathy for a guy that plays a game, signs a contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars (in Palmer's case) then, just because the team isn't successful, demands to be traded, released, etc.

He signed it, he should honor the deal, IMO.

If he really wants to retire, fine, just don't make a spectacle of yourself in the media.

-Bill

Comment

• mikemac2001
                  is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl

really barrie?

MUCK
                  FIAMI

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard
                    Maybe he shouldn't have signed an extension that extended through 2014, then...?

Not defending the Bengals, per se, but I don't have much sympathy for a guy that plays a game, signs a contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars (in Palmer's case) then, just because the team isn't successful, demands to be traded, released, etc.

If he really wants to retire, fine, just don't make a spectacle of yourself in the media.

-Bill
                    I don't necessarily disagree with Palmer (as much as I hate USC guys) and here's why:

First, the NFL can cut his contract at any time. Why do we, as fans, just accept the fact that the team doesn't have to honor the contract but get pissed at players when they don't honor the exact same contract? It's illogical and hypocritical.

Second, most of us are free to go search for other opportunities if we don't like our jobs, or if our working conditions change. Palmer's employer has run that team into the ground, and he doesn't have the freedom to go look for another employer. He's stuck.

Unfortunately, this is the ugly business side of sports again.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• delectrolux
                      • May 2007

Second, most of us are free to go search for other opportunities if we don't like our jobs, or if our working conditions change. Palmer's employer has run that team into the ground, and he doesn't have the freedom to go look for another employer. He's stuck.
                      The point being, he didn't need to sign that extension. He added six years to his deal when he still had three years left.

"Hopefully this is the last place I'll end up playing," Palmer said. "That's so rare in this league these days. It's so rare to see a person have a 5-, 8-, 10-, 12-year career in one place. And I feel very fortunate that it looks like that's going to be my future."

He had the chance to make $118.75 MILLION on that deal. I wouldn't cry too hard for Carson Palmer.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by delectrolux
                        The point being, he didn't need to sign that extension. He added six years to his deal when he still had three years left.

"Hopefully this is the last place I'll end up playing," Palmer said. "That's so rare in this league these days. It's so rare to see a person have a 5-, 8-, 10-, 12-year career in one place. And I feel very fortunate that it looks like that's going to be my future."

He had the chance to make $118.75 MILLION on that deal. I wouldn't cry too hard for Carson Palmer.
                        Believe me, I don't have much sympathy for the guy and I know he's set for life even if he never throws another pass.

I'm just saying that his employer could have terminated that contract at any time, and you can't blame him for not knowing that the team would be such a cluster**** 5 or 6 years after he signed the deal.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BLeonard
                          BoB Sabermetrician
                          • Jan 2003

I don't necessarily disagree with Palmer (as much as I hate USC guys) and here's why:

First, the NFL can cut his contract at any time. Why do we, as fans, just accept the fact that the team doesn't have to honor the contract but get pissed at players when they don't honor the exact same contract? It's illogical and hypocritical.

Unfortunately, this is the ugly business side of sports again.
                          Fair counterpoint, but, when a good majority of those contracts are signed, there is a big signing bonus attached to it that that player gets, basically for just signing his name on the contract.

I'm not saying that the NFL is right by being able to cut his contract at any time, as I disagree with it to an extent. But, at the same time, with the signing bonuses, the team puts out a pretty big chunk of money before the player even sets foot on an NFL field.

Look at a guy like Ki-Jana Carter... He got $7.125 million bonus, then went out and got hurt on his third carry in the preseason... I don't think that's exactly fair to the team, either.

My main gripe is, Palmer signed an EXTENSION when he had 3 years left on his initial deal... I have to believe Palmer received a raise with an extension signed that early, so obviously, he liked the terms. Now, he doesn't want to live by them. He "stuck" himself in the situation.

it would be interesting to see if he'd be willing to play elsewhere for a substansial pay cut... Even with his $80 million, it's not all about the "love of the game" as he claims it is. if it's all about the "love of the game," I'm sure a UFL team would love to sign him.

-Bill

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BLeonard

-Bill

Well - you don't realize what a collection of vipers the Brown family is. I roll my head when folks call Ralph a POS - he's light years away from this crowd...

I'd be willing to bet that Brown slapped Palmer with the did-not-report list, meaning if he did show up, he would have to pay the Brown family a daily fine, which IIRC carries on for 4 years and if another team signed him, they would have to pay Brown millions in compensation.

Palmer has never made himself a spectacle. Fact is, he is a very decent individual, who for years and years didn't utter a peep about the vermin that made $$$ of of him. And if they didn't mark him down as profitable through the years, he would have been gone years ago.

I suspect they slapped the "did not report" tag on him, which means that if he shows up, he owes fines on a day-to-day basis, and any team that purchases hip have to give the billionaire owner the cash.

The Browns are the poster children about what is wrong with the NFL. You are wrong to say what you said about Palmer.
                            Last edited by stuckincincy; 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Raptor
                              • Jan 2009

If I was Palmer I would just say Im retired have the Bengals put me on the reserve retired list then let them go spend the money to the cap like they are obligated to with the new CBA then when they reach the limit say Im coming back and force the Bengals hands to either acct for the 11 million by cutting players or trade/release him

Comment

Working...
                              X