PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown: Carson Palmer is retired

BLeonard
07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Not really Bills related, so if a Mod needs to move it, that's fine... Just figured with all the NFL news that's going to be flowing in the next couple days, people would be interested in seeing it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/42020/mike-brown-carson-palmer-is-retired

"He has retired. I wish him well," Brown said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. "If he is going to walk away from his commitment, we're not going to reward it."

Shocks me a bit that both sides are still so stubborn, especially with the lockout just ending.

-Bill

SeatownBillsFan21
07-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow that is stupid

Ebenezer
07-26-2011, 12:59 PM
...until the right team offers us a package that we like...then we'll be happy to trade him.

OpIv37
07-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Don't worry- I'm sure Palmer has plenty of savings from all those years of playing at USC.

Ebenezer
07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Don't worry- I'm sure Palmer has plenty of savings from all those years of playing at USC.

He was quoted as saying he had $80mil in the bank.

The last buffalo fan
07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
He was quoted as saying he had $80mil in the bank.

From his days at USC?

ddaryl
07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Who can blame the guy.. He wants out of Cincinnati that badly. He'd rather not play at all then to stay there

This is Barrie Sanders part deux

BLeonard
07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Who can blame the guy.. He wants out of Cincinnati that badly. He'd rather not play at all then to stay there

Maybe he shouldn't have signed an extension that extended through 2014, then...?

Not defending the Bengals, per se, but I don't have much sympathy for a guy that plays a game, signs a contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars (in Palmer's case) then, just because the team isn't successful, demands to be traded, released, etc.

He signed it, he should honor the deal, IMO.

If he really wants to retire, fine, just don't make a spectacle of yourself in the media.

-Bill

mikemac2001
07-26-2011, 02:42 PM

really barrie?

OpIv37
07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Maybe he shouldn't have signed an extension that extended through 2014, then...?

Not defending the Bengals, per se, but I don't have much sympathy for a guy that plays a game, signs a contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars (in Palmer's case) then, just because the team isn't successful, demands to be traded, released, etc.

If he really wants to retire, fine, just don't make a spectacle of yourself in the media.

-Bill

I don't necessarily disagree with Palmer (as much as I hate USC guys) and here's why:

First, the NFL can cut his contract at any time. Why do we, as fans, just accept the fact that the team doesn't have to honor the contract but get pissed at players when they don't honor the exact same contract? It's illogical and hypocritical.

Second, most of us are free to go search for other opportunities if we don't like our jobs, or if our working conditions change. Palmer's employer has run that team into the ground, and he doesn't have the freedom to go look for another employer. He's stuck.

Unfortunately, this is the ugly business side of sports again.

delectrolux
07-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Second, most of us are free to go search for other opportunities if we don't like our jobs, or if our working conditions change. Palmer's employer has run that team into the ground, and he doesn't have the freedom to go look for another employer. He's stuck.

The point being, he didn't need to sign that extension. He added six years to his deal when he still had three years left.

"Hopefully this is the last place I'll end up playing," Palmer said. "That's so rare in this league these days. It's so rare to see a person have a 5-, 8-, 10-, 12-year career in one place. And I feel very fortunate that it looks like that's going to be my future."

He had the chance to make $118.75 MILLION on that deal. I wouldn't cry too hard for Carson Palmer.

OpIv37
07-26-2011, 03:05 PM
The point being, he didn't need to sign that extension. He added six years to his deal when he still had three years left.

"Hopefully this is the last place I'll end up playing," Palmer said. "That's so rare in this league these days. It's so rare to see a person have a 5-, 8-, 10-, 12-year career in one place. And I feel very fortunate that it looks like that's going to be my future."

He had the chance to make $118.75 MILLION on that deal. I wouldn't cry too hard for Carson Palmer.

Believe me, I don't have much sympathy for the guy and I know he's set for life even if he never throws another pass.

I'm just saying that his employer could have terminated that contract at any time, and you can't blame him for not knowing that the team would be such a cluster**** 5 or 6 years after he signed the deal.

BLeonard
07-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with Palmer (as much as I hate USC guys) and here's why:

First, the NFL can cut his contract at any time. Why do we, as fans, just accept the fact that the team doesn't have to honor the contract but get pissed at players when they don't honor the exact same contract? It's illogical and hypocritical.

Fair counterpoint, but, when a good majority of those contracts are signed, there is a big signing bonus attached to it that that player gets, basically for just signing his name on the contract.

I'm not saying that the NFL is right by being able to cut his contract at any time, as I disagree with it to an extent. But, at the same time, with the signing bonuses, the team puts out a pretty big chunk of money before the player even sets foot on an NFL field.

Look at a guy like Ki-Jana Carter... He got $7.125 million bonus, then went out and got hurt on his third carry in the preseason... I don't think that's exactly fair to the team, either.

My main gripe is, Palmer signed an EXTENSION when he had 3 years left on his initial deal... I have to believe Palmer received a raise with an extension signed that early, so obviously, he liked the terms. Now, he doesn't want to live by them. He "stuck" himself in the situation.

it would be interesting to see if he'd be willing to play elsewhere for a substansial pay cut... Even with his $80 million, it's not all about the "love of the game" as he claims it is. if it's all about the "love of the game," I'm sure a UFL team would love to sign him.

-Bill

stuckincincy
07-26-2011, 04:01 PM

-Bill

Well - you don't realize what a collection of vipers the Brown family is. I roll my head when folks call Ralph a POS - he's light years away from this crowd...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704461304576216330349497852.html?mod=e2tw

I'd be willing to bet that Brown slapped Palmer with the did-not-report list, meaning if he did show up, he would have to pay the Brown family a daily fine, which IIRC carries on for 4 years and if another team signed him, they would have to pay Brown millions in compensation.

Palmer has never made himself a spectacle. Fact is, he is a very decent individual, who for years and years didn't utter a peep about the vermin that made $$$ of of him. And if they didn't mark him down as profitable through the years, he would have been gone years ago.

I suspect they slapped the "did not report" tag on him, which means that if he shows up, he owes fines on a day-to-day basis, and any team that purchases hip have to give the billionaire owner the cash.

The Browns are the poster children about what is wrong with the NFL. You are wrong to say what you said about Palmer.

Raptor
07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
If I was Palmer I would just say Im retired have the Bengals put me on the reserve retired list then let them go spend the money to the cap like they are obligated to with the new CBA then when they reach the limit say Im coming back and force the Bengals hands to either acct for the 11 million by cutting players or trade/release him

trapezeus
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
in some ways this is the graceful exit for palmer to take. with two stud WR, he played very poorly. i don't follow the bengals so i have no idea if it's his line, his injuries or if he truly is just a player in decline.

If its because of the latter, then this is a great way out. Get essentially forced out, you aren't really interested in getting hurt another season for a losing team, and you know no one will trade to get you. You retire, but essentially telling everyone, "i could have been better, but they didn't let me."

You never have to face the fact that in fact your skills left you after 1 of your more serious injuries. good face saving technique.

BLeonard
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
The only thing I said about Palmer was the fact that he signed an extension, with three years left on his initial deal and, if he'd be willing to play elsewhere for a substansial pay cut.

I'm not saying the Brown Family are the model owners in the NFL, but it seems like every season, these players are becoming more and more entitled. Refuse to play here, refuse to play a specific position, don't want to practice too much and on and on... Carson just happens to be one of the examples of an unhappy player this season. I'm not saying he's the only one, just one that's doing it this season.

I also don't see how they could put Palmer on the "did-not report list," when Bengals camp doesn't even open until Thursday... They can't put him on a list, stating he didn't report, until they actually have a chance to report, I wouldn't think.

Just looks like another case of a player "taking my ball and going home" if they don't get their way. How much more power should these players get?

-Bill

better days
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Well, circumstances change. At the time he signed that extension, the Bengals looked like a team on the rise, now they look like a team mired in the muck with no chance to rise above it for quite a long time.

Both Brown & Palmer are stubborn men so Palmer will sit out a year, then next year after Brown makes his point, he will trade his rights. Similar to what Denver did with Plummer a few years ago. Even though Plummer refused to report to Tampa, Denver was compensated & Plummer had to pay Tampa a lot of money he had previously received.

stuckincincy
07-26-2011, 04:53 PM
The only thing I said about Palmer was the fact that he signed an extension, with three years left on his initial deal and, if he'd be willing to play elsewhere for a substansial pay cut.

I'm not saying the Brown Family are the model owners in the NFL, but it seems like every season, these players are becoming more and more entitled. Refuse to play here, refuse to play a specific position, don't want to practice too much and on and on... Carson just happens to be one of the examples of an unhappy player this season. I'm not saying he's the only one, just one that's doing it this season.

I also don't see how they could put Palmer on the "did-not report list," when Bengals camp doesn't even open until Thursday... They can't put him on a list, stating he didn't report, until they actually have a chance to report, I wouldn't think.

Just looks like another case of a player "taking my ball and going home" if they don't get their way. How much more power should these players get?

-Bill

Are you aware that if you sign a contract with CIN, you can only make a public statement in the confines of the stadium with a B'gals official present?

IMO, they are planning to do so - the DNR list. Apologies for jumping the gun, although you should have got the gist..

stuckincincy
07-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Well, circumstances change. At the time he signed that extension, the Bengals looked like a team on the rise, now they look like a team mired in the muck with no chance to rise above it for quite a long time.

Both Brown & Palmer are stubborn men so Palmer will sit out a year, then next year after Brown makes his point, he will trade his rights. Similar to what Denver did with Plummer a few years ago. Even though Plummer refused to report to Tampa, Denver was compensated & Plummer had to pay Tampa a lot of money he had previously received.

Palmer said he has $80M in the bank. I don't think he's hurting for extra $$$.

Why do people think that more dollars are almighty, and can't conceive that someone has enough and are satisfied?

What a world we live in, that avarice is a given...

BLeonard
07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Are you aware that if you sign a contract with CIN, you can only make a public statement in the confines of the stadium with a B'gals official present?
Wasn't aware, but don't see where it's relevant. His agent spoke for him, which is what most agents do: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/03/carson-palmer-marvin-lewis-mike-brown-eye-opener-what-should-bengals-do-about-carson-palmer/1

Said agent David Dunn in a statement: "Because of the lack of success that Carson and the Bengals have experienced together, Carson strongly feels that a separation between him and the Bengals would be in the best interest of both parties."

Again, I'm not siding with the Bengals... Just getting tired of all these players trying to determine where they go... I can't stand Eli Manning for his stunt when the Chargers were gonna draft him. Just my opinion that players are getting more pull than they should get.

IMO, they are planning to do so - the DNR list. Apologies for jumping the gun, although you should have got the gist..[/QUOTE]

If he shows up to camp, they can't put him on the list... If he doesn't show up, that would be not reporting... What's wrong with putting him on the DNR list if he doesn't report?

-Bill

better days
07-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Why do people think that more dollars are almighty, and can't conceive that someone has enough and are satisfied?

I never said he was hurting for money. The question is does he want to play anymore or not. If he decides he does not want to play anymore he may have to repay a good chunk of that $80M as Plummer did.

BLeonard
07-26-2011, 05:12 PM

As I said before, if he wants to retire, fine... Just don't give me this dog and pony show of "I'll retire unless I get my way." To me, it looks like he's using the threat of retirement to get the Bengals to do what he wants, which is trade him.

What if they were to try and trade, but can't get fair value? Should the Bengals just make a bad deal for their business? (Insert the "Hasn't stopped them from making bad deals before" comments here).

-Bill

Novacane
07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm just saying that his employer could have terminated that contract at any time, and you can't blame him for not knowing that the team would be such a cluster**** 5 or 6 years after he signed the deal.

I can't blame him for not knowing the BENGALS would be a cluster**** 5-6 years into his deal? Yes I can. Any idiot should have known that!

stuckincincy
07-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I can't blame him for not knowing the BENGALS would be a cluster**** 5-6 years into his deal? Yes I can. Any idiot should have known that!

There are but 32 teams. Do you suggest that (hungry) college players stand up and say that they won't sign with CIN? It's a small shop, the NFL. Were you Palmer, would you have not signed that rookie contract? Attempted to improve it in light of a Peyton Manning contract? I don't think so...would you be that "any" idiot, and lifted your leg on the cash?

Doubt it.

Mr. Pink
07-26-2011, 05:38 PM
He got his money, is sick of what goes on in Cincy and would rather not play at all then be forced to play for Cincy another year. Pretty simple.

It's exactly what he said he was gonna do after last season concluded, unfortunately for Palmer without trades being available for the 2011 Draft, he's stuck sitting out a season instead of playing elsewhere this year.

I'd expect him to be back in 2012 on an NFL roster.

Dude
07-26-2011, 06:40 PM
...until the right team offers us a package that we like...then we'll be happy to trade him.Nope. Won't happen. Mike Brown would rather stick to his principles than improve his team.

Mike
07-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Should there even be contracts in the NFL? A player can retire/not report at any time & an NFL team can cut a player at anytime. In reallity there is Nothing to honor, the agreement allow each side out of the contract under specific circumstances.

Mike13
07-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Mike Brown is a stubborn, vindictive mother****er? Who knew?

better days
07-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Mike Brown is a stubborn, vindictive mother****er? Who Knew?

When AJ Smith gets fired in S.D. Brown should hire him, two peas in a pod.

Ingtar33
07-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Shocks me a bit that both sides are still so stubborn, especially with the lockout just ending.

-Bill

i'm not surprised at all. this is how Mike Brown runs the Bengals. It took Corey Dillon 3 years to force his way out of Cincinnati, he doesn't let anyone "beg out". Well, this is why the Bengals suck. Instead of trading a 4000y a year qb for a 1st or 2nd round pick or two, he hangs onto them, ruins the name of his franchise more, and guarantees no one wants to sign with the Bengals.

stuckincincy
07-27-2011, 08:41 AM
i'm not surprised at all. this is how Mike Brown runs the Bengals. It took Corey Dillon 3 years to force his way out of Cincinnati, he doesn't let anyone "beg out". Well, this is why the Bengals suck. Instead of trading a 4000y a year qb for a 1st or 2nd round pick or two, he hangs onto them, ruins the name of his franchise more, and guarantees no one wants to sign with the Bengals.

I'll start a rumor right now...Brown wants to sign Trent Edwards, because it would represent "good value." That's one of his favorite terms.

:nod:

Mski
07-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Don't worry- I'm sure Palmer has plenty of savings from all those years of playing at USC.it would be double if he had gone to OSU

stuckincincy
07-27-2011, 08:51 AM
The plot thickens...

Cincinnati Enquirer
Jul. 27, 2011

..."Provided that Palmer has not officially filed retirement papers with the NFL, it is likely the Bengals would place him on their reserve-did not report list; that could happen as soon as Friday, when players under contract are to report to training camp at Georgetown College.

If either of those moves happens, it would free up the $11.5 million in salary Palmer was due this season.

Palmer’s agent, David Dunn, did not respond to emails from The Enquirer on Tuesday. One possible option for them would be for Palmer to report to camp when the Bengals get close to the salary cap figure, possibly pushing them over the limit. Palmer also could wait until next offseason to again try to force the trade issue."...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110726/SPT02/307260066/Mike-Brown-Not-going-reward-Carson

ublinkwescore
07-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I wish him all the best. it wouldn't have mattered if he stayed or left - the Bengals will still continue to be our *****es.

and at the end of the day, that is all that matters to me.

ublinkwescore
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
now if we could only go back to making the rest of the afc East our *****es again I would be a happy camper.

BuffaloBlitz83
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
jayfeely- Just a thought: if an African American receiver were doing same thing as Carson Palmer would there be so many people defending his actions?

stuckincincy
07-27-2011, 11:45 AM
jayfeely- Just a thought: if an African American receiver were doing same thing as Carson Palmer would there be so many people defending his actions?

As a member of the European American community, I find jayfeely's post offensive and racist.

Ingtar33
07-27-2011, 11:45 AM

assuming you mean - "was in the same situation" sure. why do you bring up race?

Palmer's situation is sympathetic because of the team/organization and state of the franchise. If this was Randy Moss begging out of NE after making a superbowl run and destroying all sorts of regular season numbers, while dogging on the field and disrespecting his teammates... well maybe the issue isn't the organization right?

But if this is Randy Moss doggin' it on the field, and begging to get out of Oakland. Sure, i'm in his camp on that one. And while i hate the Pats, i was in the Pat's camp when he wanted out of NE.

Race has nothing to do with this. In Palmer's case he's watched his team disintegrate over the last 4 years, with no movement by management to improve the situation. He has to play behind a god awful line and face Pittsburgh and Baltimore 2 times a year, rumor in Cinci said he wanted either a new coach or a new OC or a new line and got none of them... and to top it all off his WR corps has been dismantled by the organization.

Am i keen on him ditching the team under those circumstances? I'm not overjoyed, but since this isn't about money and instead it's about competing i can forgive that type of greed. The desire to win overriding his desire for money? Not a bad thing.

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
I've always liked Palmer and he's put up with some diva receivers with class. But it's hard to get around the fact that he's just not that good anymore either. I get the issues the Bengals have and I can't blame Carson at all for wanting out. But IMO even if Brown relented and traded him (which he won't) whoever got Palmer would be getting a bandaid at best. He's like McNabb, on the slide down. My guess is he does retire.

Historian
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
He's retiring 10 years too late...

stuckincincy
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I've always liked Palmer and he's put up with some diva receivers with class. But it's hard to get around the fact that he's just not that good anymore either. I get the issues the Bengals have and I can't blame Carson at all for wanting out. But IMO even if Brown relented and traded him (which he won't) whoever got Palmer would be getting a bandaid at best. He's like McNabb, on the slide down. My guess is he does retire.

Yes - he's been more or less damaged goods since that PIT DT went after and shattered his knee in a playoff game.

He throws high now. But was additionally hobbled by play calling - the idiot OC he suffered all his career - Bob Bratkwoski, was a joke. The entire league knew, and most B'gals fans could predict most every play. Every...

But the Brat was under long-term contract, and as we know, the owner will keep anybody on if they are under contract so he gets' his moneys' worth. Brown never eats a contract.

You can be incompetent as can be, but you don't get away from the B'gals as long as there is a contract. That you are a bozo who can't do anything to win doesn't matter.

ESPN recently ran a poll - we all know that such are iffy at best - but the B'gals were rated last in a field of 122 professional sports franchises.

If you could find it on the net, the press conference with Brown re-hiring "Smiling Jack" - Marvin Lewis - is absolutely creepy.

Marvin is a disaster of a game-day coach. His sense of timing in a game makes Herm Edwards look like a genius.

If he approached my door, I'd turn my hose on him and call the police.

The King
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
how Lewis is still a head coach is mind numbing

Devin
07-27-2011, 01:20 PM

If I was getting millions a year....I think I could deal with it. So when they under perform or get injured, or suspended....whatever.....do they give back money? Its a 2 way street.

I agree, he signed a contract....honor it. If you want to pout and quit....suit yourself.

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 01:35 PM
If he approached my door, I'd turn my hose on him and call the police.

That seems harsh. He seems like a nice enough guy. Why the hose and the cops? I wouldn't even do that to the parade of losers the Bills have had. 2005-2006 were pretty good years for Cincy under Lewis, no?

BuffaloBlitz83
07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
assuming you mean - "was in the same situation" sure. why do you bring up race?

Palmer's situation is sympathetic because of the team/organization and state of the franchise. If this was Randy Moss begging out of NE after making a superbowl run and destroying all sorts of regular season numbers, while dogging on the field and disrespecting his teammates... well maybe the issue isn't the organization right?

But if this is Randy Moss doggin' it on the field, and begging to get out of Oakland. Sure, i'm in his camp on that one. And while i hate the Pats, i was in the Pat's camp when he wanted out of NE.

Race has nothing to do with this. In Palmer's case he's watched his team disintegrate over the last 4 years, with no movement by management to improve the situation. He has to play behind a god awful line and face Pittsburgh and Baltimore 2 times a year, rumor in Cinci said he wanted either a new coach or a new OC or a new line and got none of them... and to top it all off his WR corps has been dismantled by the organization.

Am i keen on him ditching the team under those circumstances? I'm not overjoyed, but since this isn't about money and instead it's about competing i can forgive that type of greed. The desire to win overriding his desire for money? Not a bad thing.

Feely is implying if Chad Johnson did the same thing would fans be on his side?

stuckincincy
07-27-2011, 02:59 PM
how Lewis is still a head coach is mind numbing

That's the way Brown does it. He tried to screw Wyche out of his contract, claiming Sam quit in a closed-door meeting. He sued and won. Brown was sued by purchasers of PSAs about a phony seating chart he published, extracting extra $ for good seating before stadium construction that turned out to be bum seating.

He also was successfully sued by ticket owners, when he sent out dunning notices to ticket holders who didn't renew their season tix, and gave up the $ they paid for a PSA. Brown claimed they owed for 10 years of season tix cost.

I suppose some have read that the deal he got for his free stadium is judged the biggest rip-off of taxpayers - ever.

Most of his higher staff are family members or long-time friends. He pays himself 3 times - President, General Manager, and owner.

Anybody who criticizes Palmer for wanting out - if only to save his health - needs to educate themselves about the B'gals method of business, their 30 year mediocrity since Mikie took over.

I laugh when folks rag against Ralph. In comparison, Mr.Wilson is a saint.

Palmer could have had a HOF career with most any other club. He suffered for year after year with Brown's idea of coaching, staffing, and purchase of bums ("value" players, to quote Brown), and idiotic draft picks - Andre Smith, Akili Smith, David Klingler, Chris Perry, etc.

Palmer's a very decent man. I'm happy for him, that he leaves in one piece.

You folks who are on their high horse about Palmer being "disloyal" or some such should have lived in this town since Mike took over in 1990. Got it?

BuffaloBlitz83
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
LOL Roddy White tweets: Mike brown is the worst owner in sports never spends money always under the cap makes a profit of over 20 million a year and won't trade Carson Palmer.

Now all the fans have to suffer when they could've got better as a team so everybody suffers cause he mad at Carson lol terrible