PDA

View Full Version : Bills/Thigpen agree to a deal

!Papacrunk!
07-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Per @omarkelly of the Sun Sentinel:

"Tyler Thigpen has agreed to terms on a three year deal with Buffalo. He's reuniting with Chan Gailey, his former OC in Kansas City."

Ickybaluky
07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Tyler Thigpen, QB. Kelly covers the Dolphins, his old team.

Per Omar Kelly. 3 years.

X-Era
07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Per @omarkelly of the Sun Sentinel:

"Tyler Thigpen has agreed to terms on a three year deal with Buffalo. He's reuniting with Chan Gailey, his former OC in Kansas City.":yawn: Nice backup. I don't mind it. But I'm also waiting for something much more significant at other spots.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
PERFECT BACKUP!

tampabay25690
07-26-2011, 10:02 PM
WOW what a surprise...
Been all over sirius for 2 weeks...

!Papacrunk!
07-26-2011, 10:02 PM
I've read in the last some months that he wanted a real chance at competing for a starting spot...

X-Era
07-26-2011, 10:03 PM
We must have given him a 36 million dollar signing bonus.

tampabay25690
07-26-2011, 10:04 PM
2 mill per u think??

Extremebillsfan247
07-26-2011, 10:04 PM
WOW what a surprise...
Been all over sirius for 2 weeks...It is a surprise. lol The Bills actually signed somebody. I figured they were asleep at the wheel. Joking.

Jeff1220
07-26-2011, 10:05 PM
There's Fitz's replacement when they don't re-sign him next year.

justasportsfan
I've read in the last some months that he wanted a real chance at competing for a starting spot...
he couldn't beat out Henne,

X-Era
2 mill per u think??Probably in there.

Wheres the monsterous splash smilie?

:monsteroussigningsplash:

X-Era
07-26-2011, 10:06 PM
There's Fitz's replacement when they don't re-sign him next year.Exactly, we need to spend the #1 overall pick on a ILB.

:lol:

Philagape
07-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Well that doesn't instill confidence in his intelligence :ill:

tampabay25690
07-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Probably in there.

Wheres the monsterous splash smilie?

:monsteroussigningsplash:

I popped a xanax 1 hour ago so its all good now.......

T-Long
07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
well, that makes me feel a tiny bit better. Fitz and Thigpen are a nice 1, 2.

CuseJetsFan83
07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Exactly, we need to spend the #1 overall pick on a ILB.

:lol:

you mean andrew luck?

X-Era
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
well, that makes me feel a tiny bit better. Fitz and Thigpen are a nice 1, 2.I guess. But I guess I just don't feel like we did anything significant yet.

Mr. Pink
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I was really hoping that we wouldn't go out and get this guy. What other ex-chiefs are on the market?

BillsFever21
07-26-2011, 10:15 PM
At least it's somebody with experience in Gailey's system for a backup to keep Fitz on his toes

ParanoidAndroid
07-26-2011, 10:19 PM
He ran Gailey's system well in KC. A system guy who can win a couple games from the back up position is exactly what they were looking for.

Luisito23
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
He's gonna be our biggest free-agent signing of the year watch.

jimbohastle51
07-26-2011, 10:30 PM
He ran Gailey's system well in KC. A system guy who can win a couple games from the back up position is exactly what they were looking for.

for those of you that keep saying that he ran "gaileys system well in k.c." he didnt run gaileys system. gailey ran a new tailored down offense for him in k.c. he didnt go through training camp and win the starting job. the guy played because of an injury and couldnt read a defense fast enough for 3 and 5 step drops so gailey formulated a version of the pistol offense to buy him time and he was still mediocare at best. the guy didnt even land a job to compete for a starting job somewhere in the offense that followed that season. he was all that was a available and gailey worked with it. he wont even run the half the same plays if fitz gets injured... which by the way may not be a bad thing either before we pay john kitna's brother 6 million a year because that is exactly what fitz is. a little mobility a ok arm and takes alot of chances... it just so happens last year a few more went his way than not. it happened for kitna in detroit and cincy 1 year as well.

Oaf
07-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Saying right now that this is Bills QB controversy pt. VIII. I know it might not make sense, but I cannot help feeling the worst about this move.

Mike
07-26-2011, 10:48 PM
I've Really liked Thigpen in KC and I hoped to get him and glad we finally did. He is a great #2 and did very well in KC under Chan.

wmoz11
07-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Perfect back-up. This fills one of our major holes. It's important that he knows Gailey's offense since we didn't have OTAs.

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 10:51 PM
I have some reservations.

Im not concerned about the money.

The last buffalo fan
07-26-2011, 11:11 PM
I have some reservations.

Im not concerned about the money.

What do you think about him?

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 11:14 PM
What do you think about him?

I think having a vet familiar with Gailey is great and I think Thigpen is a solid backup option but Im concerned about why he choose Buffalo. Its been widely reported he wanted to start and we all know Gailey loves that Pistol formation. Fitzy can't run the pistol (he's tried), but Thigpen can.

My concern is I dont want Thigpen coming in for a series or a few plays just to run the pistol to try and confuse the defense. This needs to be Fitzy's team the whole way.

Not sure this signing says that very clearly.

The last buffalo fan
07-26-2011, 11:17 PM
I think having a vet familiar with Gailey is great and I think Thigpen is a solid backup option but Im concerned about why he choose Buffalo. Its been widely reported he wanted to start and we all know Gailey loves that Pistol formation. Fitzy can't run the pistol (he's tried), but Thigpen can.

My concern is I dont want Thigpen coming in for a series or a few plays just to run the pistol to try and confuse the defense. This needs to be Fitzy's team the whole way.

Not sure this signing says that very clearly.

So, you think we are a better team with Fitz? I'm not sold on Fitz and was thinking it was a good move afterall, but I'm just a regular fan

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 11:27 PM
So, you think we are a better team with Fitz? I'm not sold on Fitz and was thinking it was a good move afterall, but I'm just a regular fan

I think we are a better team with a settled QB situation. If Fitz is the man, let him be the man. Don't make him look over his shoulder.

methos4ever
07-26-2011, 11:33 PM
DB, from everything Gailey and Nix have done they are straight shooters. Fitz runs this team and Thigpen knows that.

I think if anything we may see even less of the Pistol this year, since Chan knows what works with Fitz (the four wide, stack slot, for example) and this isn't the year to play mad scientist.

DraftBoy
07-26-2011, 11:36 PM
DB, from everything Gailey and Nix have done they are straight shooters. Fitz runs this team and Thigpen knows that.

I think if anything we may see even less of the Pistol this year, since Chan knows what works with Fitz (the four wide, stack slot, for example) and this isn't the year to play mad scientist.

I hope you're right.

But I have to ask why does Thigpen sign here then? Unless he thinks Fitz will falter.

better days
07-26-2011, 11:57 PM
I hope you're right.

But I have to ask why does Thigpen sign here then? Unless he thinks Fitz will falter.

What team would be a better situation for him than Buffalo & a HC he knows, most likely likes, and with whom he enjoyed the most success of his career?

Jeff1220
07-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Whenever I hear his name I can't help it but to think of
http://www.weirdspace.dk/CharlesSchulz/Graphics/Pig-Pen.gif
or even
http://www.deathwaltz.com/wp-content/uploads/BOXOFRAIN.jpg

Demon
07-27-2011, 12:12 AM
What. A. Joke.

bob86
07-27-2011, 12:30 AM
I went to the game he started in Miami last year. It was one of the worst performances I haves seen in 40 years of playing and watching football. He was awful. He could not throw the ball, did not seem to know the plays, dropped snaps, and missed handoffs. And this is our big free agent signing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Luisito23
07-27-2011, 12:43 AM
What. A. Joke.

By next week you'll be thankful at least we signed one name that you recognize. :ill:

Mr. Pink
07-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Thigpen doesn't really know Gaileys offense. He ran an extremely dumbed down simple version of an awesome that didn't ask him to do a whole lot. While he put up decent numbers for the Chiefs that year, it didn't lead to Ws.

Completely useless signing that could mean Fitzpatrick if he starts out slowly could be pulled and we can watch Thigpen run a basic college offense for 10 games that we'll be lucky to win 2 of.

Dujek
07-27-2011, 03:43 AM
As long as he's just in as a backup then I'm happy with the signing.

If we see him on the field for any reason other than Fitz being injured then I'm going to be pissed off.

jcdavey
07-27-2011, 03:50 AM
IMO he's a pretty good qb, better than henne

he showed flashes in kc then got buried for no good reason, then was sent to miami who buried him even more

reminds me of billy volek's nfl experience

some flash, then buried

Barb
07-27-2011, 03:54 AM

he showed flashes in kc then got buried for no good reason, then was sent to miami who buried him even more

reminds me of billy volek's nfl experience

some flash, then buried

when we traded for him , i was happy too, but then he managed to really suck and i'm glad he is gone and no he is not better than henne

Night Train
07-27-2011, 04:58 AM
He's a decent backup QB and no one is selling him as anything more. Good signing.

Mobile and responded well to Gaileys O in the past. Our best option, at present. Next year the position will be overhauled with a high pick or FA.

Next.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-27-2011, 05:12 AM
1-8.

jcdavey
07-27-2011, 06:57 AM
when we traded for him , i was happy too, but then he managed to really suck and i'm glad he is gone and no he is not better than henne
i've watched both perform and i've seen more out of thigpen than i have out of henne....

DraftBoy
07-27-2011, 07:21 AM
What team would be a better situation for him than Buffalo & a HC he knows, most likely likes, and with whom he enjoyed the most success of his career?

Buffalo is literally a 4-6 win team right now and has an entrenched starter. There are a lot of teams that are as good (if not better fits). Miami and Washington are the two obvious choices.

The big thing for him was that he wanted to start, he won't get that hear. So my question remains.

Plus he was our 2nd option behind Tjax who went to Seattle.

So clearly QB was our top priority heading into FA.

Mike13
07-27-2011, 07:29 AM

reminds me of billy volek's nfl xperience

some flash, then buried

Better than Henne? Thigpen has only broken 60 percent completion ONCE in his career and the guy is an INT Machine.
Not to mention his ball placement is godawful, he nearly got Davone Bess killed a few times.

Thigpen sucks and always will suck.

EDS
07-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Better than Henne? Thigpen has only broken 60 percent completion ONCE in his career and the guy is an INT Machine.
Not to mention his ball placement is godawful, he nearly got Davone Bess killed a few times.

Careful, Thigpen is now the next great hope for Buffalo.

psubills62
07-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Apparently, Michael Lombardi said that Tavaris Jackson was our first priority for the backup QB spot and Thigpen was plan B.

http://twitter.com/michaelombardi/status/96171114006454272

EDS
07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Apparently, Michael Lombardi said that Tavaris Jackson was our first priority for the backup QB spot and Thigpen was plan B.

So Nix has struck out on two of his priority free agents so far in Jackson and Poz. Nice work, though in some sense it is a relief.

trapezeus
07-27-2011, 09:29 AM
the only reason i'm ok with this is because it puts to bed any idea of the bills wasting picks on kolb.

i do fear that fitz gets hurt after a 2-4 season and then thigpen gets us to 4-4, fitz comes back and sucks, then thigpen comes in and sucks, then justa and i send messages back and forth on which of the two crappy qb's we like better, we get to 6-10, miss luck, let fitz go and try to sell us that thigpen will be better with no competition.

EDS
07-27-2011, 09:38 AM
the only reason i'm ok with this is because it puts to bed any idea of the bills wasting picks on kolb.

i do fear that fitz gets hurt after a 2-4 season and then thigpen gets us to 4-4, fitz comes back and sucks, then thigpen comes in and sucks, then justa and i send messages back and forth on which of the two crappy qb's we like better, we get to 6-10, miss luck, let fitz go and try to sell us that thigpen will be better with no competition.

That would be consistent with what the franchise has done for the past decade!

mysticsoto
07-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Buffalo is literally a 4-6 win team right now and has an entrenched starter. There are a lot of teams that are as good (if not better fits). Miami and Washington are the two obvious choices.

The big thing for him was that he wanted to start, he won't get that hear. So my question remains.

I don't think Thigpen realistically has a chance to start anywhere. Here is his best shot b'cse he's worked with Chan before and wouldn't be starting over from scratch learning a whole new system. That being said, I think he now realizes that he's going to be a backup no matter where he goes.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Better than Henne? Thigpen has only broken 60 percent completion ONCE in his career and the guy is an INT Machine.Not to mention his ball placement is godawful, he nearly got Davone Bess killed a few times.

Huh? Henne has 27 TD's and 33 INt's and Thigpen has 21/17.

IMO both qb's aren't all that is because Sparano had no other answer once the wildcat was put under control by other teams. Why do you think he hired an OC?

Historian
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Another journeyman player, playing for the journeyman coach, on a team run by a journeyman GM, housed in a journeyman city.

From that perspective, this was a solid pickup.

:roflmao:

DraftBoy
07-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't think Thigpen realistically has a chance to start anywhere. Here is his best shot b'cse he's worked with Chan before and wouldn't be starting over from scratch learning a whole new system. That being said, I think he now realizes that he's going to be a backup no matter where he goes.

I again bring up Washington (because its my best example without doing much research). Washington's QB situation is far less stable than ours.

CuseJetsFan83
07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I again bring up Washington (because its my best example without doing much research). Washington's QB situation is far less stable than ours.
46 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/LaurNYJ/status/96242148327964672) [/URL] (http://twitter.com/#)
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter"]AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#) Adam Schefter

On the day they're preparing to deal Donovan McNabb, Redskins reached agreement with another QB, former Jet Kellen Clemens on a 1-year deal.

DraftBoy
07-27-2011, 10:37 AM
46 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/LaurNYJ/status/96242148327964672) [/URL] (http://twitter.com/#)
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter"]AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#) Adam Schefter

On the day they're preparing to deal Donovan McNabb, Redskins reached agreement with another QB, former Jet Kellen Clemens on a 1-year deal.

I stand by my point.

In a battle with Beck, Clemons, and Thigpen...I still like his chances.

Ickybaluky
07-27-2011, 10:53 AM

I guess that makes Henne the prize pig at the state fair.

Ickybaluky
07-27-2011, 10:56 AM

... and somewhere, Rex Grossman weeps.

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 11:03 AM
I guess this means JP isn't coming back.:wail:

better days
07-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Well, all Thigpen had to do was look at how the Skins dealt with McNabb last year. Who would want to put themselves in that situation?

Washingtons QB situation is far less stable than the Bills, but their entire team is less stable than the Bills. Lets talk about the O-line for a minute. People rag on Buffalos O-line, well the Skins is much worse.

Anyone with half a brain would not want to put themself in a position to fail.

better days
07-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I guess this means JP isn't coming back.:wail:

That ship has sailed. I read that somewhere.

better days
07-27-2011, 11:13 AM

I addressed Washington in your other post. Thigpen played in Miami last year so he must be familiar with that situation. In his mind or maybe Miami's it would not be a good situation for him.

I heard over a week ago Seattle would go hard after T Jax. I never heard one word that the Bills were interested in him. You said Thigpen wanted to start. I don't know if that is true, but I do know for a fact Jackson wants to start. Even if Buffalo wanted him they would not make him the starter.

Anymore obvious choices? IMO Buffalo was Thigpens best option. No team he would want to play for would give him the starters job.

mysticsoto
07-27-2011, 11:16 AM

I think Washington has Rex Grossman too. He's better than Thigpen. And again, why go somewhere that is unstable and have to learn a new offense when you can come to Buffalo (which is gaining stability) and be under an offense that you have some experience with already?

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Most of the time the main role of the backup QB in the NFL is to make the Dunkin Donuts run for the starter. Pretty unusual for the backup to have a big impact. Certainly Thigpen won't. But we needed a guy. Now we have a guy.:hiclap:

better days
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
I think Washington has Rex Grossman too. He's better than Thigpen. And again, why go somewhere that is unstable and have to learn a new offense when you can come to Buffalo (which is gaining stability) and be under an offense that you have some experience with already?

Thank you. Nice to see you agree with me.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Most of the time the main role of the backup QB in the NFL is to make the Dunkin Donuts run for the starter. Pretty unusual for the backup to have a big impact. Certainly Thigpen won't. But we needed a guy. Now we have a guy.:hiclap:
That's what we thought about Ryan Fitzpatrick...

Ed
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Just because a player wants to start, doesn't mean that there's a team out there willing give them that chance. Maybe even though those other teams appear to be a better opportunity, he didn't get the sense that any of those teams would give him a realistic shot to compete.

I think Thigpen realizes that his best chance of becoming a starter again is because of injury and the chances of that happening in Buffalo are as likely as anywhere else. So if he does get that opportunity again it's critical that he makes the most of it, so he may as well play for a guy (Chan) that can make him look his best.

Oaf
07-27-2011, 09:43 PM
I think we are a better team with a settled QB situation. If Fitz is the man, let him be the man. Don't make him look over his shoulder.
Exactly. Plus this fanboard will turn on Fitz faster than Losman if Fitz falters even a bit.

Put yourself in Fitz's head. Would you honestly not be scratching your beard about Gailey bringing his "old boy" back?

Bert102176
07-27-2011, 09:50 PM
crap just like every fa we will sign they will be players that are old' and players that areonly a 3rd or 4th stringer on other teams but we will have them starting

TacklingDummy
07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
CHAMPIONSHIP

evol4276
07-27-2011, 10:48 PM
i have no problem with tyler. i liked what i saw from him in KC a few years back. a decent backup if anything

better days
07-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Exactly. Plus this fanboard will turn on Fitz faster than Losman if Fitz falters even a bit.

Put yourself in Fitz's head. Would you honestly not be scratching your beard about Gailey bringing his "old boy" back?

I agree, if Fitz falters, fans will turn on him fast. On the other hand I think Fitz is smart enough to know that the Bills need a back up QB & will have no problem with the fact it is Thigpen.

Demon
07-27-2011, 11:22 PM

I have been on the let's get Tavaris Jackson bandwagon train for like 2 years now.... pretty cool the front office agreed.

better days
07-27-2011, 11:29 PM
I have been on the let's get Tavaris Jackson bandwagon train for like 2 years now.... pretty cool the front office agreed.

That is the 1st thing I read that the Bills wanted Jackson. The fact is the Bills did not want Jackson as much as Seattle did. Jackson wants an opportunity to start which he will get in Seattle along with a very nice salary.

Buffalo would have wanted him to come to Buffalo as a back up at a reasonable price.