• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The real problem here....

Is that Nix has delayed the start of rebuilding for an entire year.

Everyone is panicking about replacing Poz. In reality, a 4-3 guy like Poz should have been traded or cut last year, and a 3-4 guy should have been taking his lumps at Poz's spot for an entire year in a season that we already knew was all but wasted.

Last year, the offense improved, but it was in spite of Nix's free agent acquisitions, not because of them. Gailey was simply able to do more offensively with the talent on the roster.

On the defensive side of the ball, we got better at ZERO positions via free agency, and there was ZERO immediate impact from rookies. Rebuilding on D is starting a year and a half too late.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 07-27-2011, 09:59 AM.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • mikemac2001
    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
    • Mar 2003

Re: The real problem here....

Ugh what's new

MUCK
    FIAMI

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Actually, IMO, the rebuilding of a defense starts with the DL, which is something Nix and co. addressed immediately. They drafted Troup and Carrington and signed Edwards, then drafted Dareus.

I don't think it's a coincidence that teams like the Steelers can turn UDFA's and late rounders into stars at LB. Two things help - coaching and one of the best DL's in football. It's not a coincidence that even after pouring good money into their DL, Pittsburgh still spends a first round pick on a DE (Cam Heyward). And since DL usually need 1-2 years before they can get going in a 3-4 defense, I think Nix did what he was supposed to, and I think he'll continue to draft LB's until two of them step up to be legit starters.

And as far as getting better at positions in free agency, what about Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis? We may have been even worse than we were last year without those guys. Davis, despite getting injured, was rumored to be signed for his mentoring ability. I said from the minute he was signed that the first year he would be filling a roster/starter hole his first year and mentoring his second.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• bf1
        • Oct 2010

Agreed. I get beaten up when I point out that Nix was with the organization a full year before he took over at GM. So there should be no excuse that he was new or just learning. He should have been able to hit the ground running.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
          Actually, IMO, the rebuilding of a defense starts with the DL, which is something Nix and co. addressed immediately. They drafted Troup and Carrington and signed Edwards, then drafted Dareus.

I don't think it's a coincidence that teams like the Steelers can turn UDFA's and late rounders into stars at LB. Two things help - coaching and one of the best DL's in football. It's not a coincidence that even after pouring good money into their DL, Pittsburgh still spends a first round pick on a DE (Cam Heyward). And since DL usually need 1-2 years before they can get going in a 3-4 defense, I think Nix did what he was supposed to, and I think he'll continue to draft LB's until two of them step up to be legit starters.

And as far as getting better at positions in free agency, what about Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis? We may have been even worse than we were last year without those guys. Davis, despite getting injured, was rumored to be signed for his mentoring ability. I said from the minute he was signed that the first year he would be filling a roster/starter hole his first year and mentoring his second.
          I consider Davis and Edwards to be lateral moves- they were there simply to help us transition to the 3-4. They were both OK, but it's tough to argue that they made us better.

As far as Troup, Carrington, and Dareus, I have a lot more confidence in Carrington than Troup at this point. I didn't see much improvement from Troup over the course of the season, so that's a concern. Obviously we haven't seen Dareus in the NFL yet, but I suspect he'll be good. Going forward, I think Dareus, Williams and Carrington will be the real forces on the DL.

The problem is that sometimes you have to tear down before you can rebuild, and with the Poz situation, the tearing down is taking place too late. We could have had someone other than Poz learning the 3-4 ILB while the DL is being built.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mikemac2001
            Ugh what's new
            Exactly- what's new?

Same ****, different day. And the same old mistakes are still holding the team back.

I'm glad Poz is gone. Other people are *****ing that we don't have a replacement, but the reality is that it shouldn't be an issue because we should have had a replacement last year.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              The problem is that sometimes you have to tear down before you can rebuild, and with the Poz situation, the tearing down is taking place too late.
              Not to mention WAAAY too often!

Comment

• bf1
                • Oct 2010

Add in the reluctance to "overpay" anyone good you see the results.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

Who's panicking? POS was injury prone and sucked. The Bills can sign some other scrub linebacker who can't cover Tight Ends and tackles guys 7 yards down the field.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

Yeah it is frustrating, but I really like Sheppard. I think Batten, Moats, and White are intriguing guys that could develop maybe in the future.

I think Batten is a more natural fit at OLB, but a lot will depend on Merriman and Kelsay. They say Batten will line up at ILB and could also push Davis for strong side ILB.

I do agree with the other poster though, in the 34 it all starts up front and if Williams and Darues can eat up 4 blockers by themselves or make teams pay for not doubling them then as long as we have some big stout LBs we could be ok in time.

Long story short expect us to play a lot of young players this year, and take our lumps early.

I am hoping for somewhere between 6 to 9 wins.

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by psubills62

Let's not denigrate the Steelers organization by making any comparison with the Bills.

The Steelers have a great defensive mind in Dick LeBeau (Bills absolutely do not) and train their linebackers for 2+ years in their system before they hit the field. Plus they do use first (Timmons) and second (Woodley) round picks on LBs as well as sign quality veterans (Farrior) to supplement their late round and UDFA finds (Harrison, Lloyd, Porter, etc.). Worilds is next in line most likely.

The reason the Steelers took a DLman is because they lack depth and have a lot of age at the position and did not deem and CB worthy of the pick.

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

The problem is Buffalo has a reputation throughout the league with players as a team not committed to winning from a financial and front office perspective. Throw in the fact the drafting has been lousy and you get a frustrated fan base always having a team that is not competitive and players that do not want to play here. Thank goodness Buffalo has the Sabres. At least we have a Buffalo team committed to winning.
                        Last edited by don137; 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• BillsWin
                          man amongst boys
                          • Oct 2008

Everyone is panicking about replacing Poz. In reality, a 4-3 guy like Poz should have been traded or cut last year, and a 3-4 guy should have been taking his lumps at Poz's spot for an entire year in a season that we already knew was all but wasted.

Last year, the offense improved, but it was in spite of Nix's free agent acquisitions, not because of them. Gailey was simply able to more offensively with the talent on the roster.

On the defensive side of the ball, we got better at ZERO positions via free agency, and there was ZERO immediate impact from rookies. Rebuilding on D is starting a year and a half too late.
                          Great post. Agree 100%.
                          I am The Batman.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Everyone is panicking about replacing Poz. In reality, a 4-3 guy like Poz should have been traded or cut last year, and a 3-4 guy should have been taking his lumps at Poz's spot for an entire year in a season that we already knew was all but wasted..
                            Typical OP looking for a reason to *****
                            With that logic, we should have gotten rid of Kyle Williams because he's not a 3-4 DT. Brilliant!!!!

You don't get rid of your players until you've had time to evaluate them. PERIOD.

Last year, the offense improved, but it was in spite of Nix's free agent acquisitions, not because of them. Gailey was simply able to more offensively with the talent on the roster.

lol. First you would have been pissed if Nix kept Poz. Now that Poz is gone, it's Nix's fault .

It's not Nix's fault that Jauron left us with a ton of holes.
                            Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-27-2011, 09:53 AM.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

BTW OP, you wanted that crappy OL Davis for our first round pick last year. He blows. That wouldn't have solved this situation and further delayed this team.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X