PDA

View Full Version : The real problem here....

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Is that Nix has delayed the start of rebuilding for an entire year.

Everyone is panicking about replacing Poz. In reality, a 4-3 guy like Poz should have been traded or cut last year, and a 3-4 guy should have been taking his lumps at Poz's spot for an entire year in a season that we already knew was all but wasted.

Last year, the offense improved, but it was in spite of Nix's free agent acquisitions, not because of them. Gailey was simply able to do more offensively with the talent on the roster.

On the defensive side of the ball, we got better at ZERO positions via free agency, and there was ZERO immediate impact from rookies. Rebuilding on D is starting a year and a half too late.

mikemac2001
07-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Ugh what's new

psubills62
07-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Actually, IMO, the rebuilding of a defense starts with the DL, which is something Nix and co. addressed immediately. They drafted Troup and Carrington and signed Edwards, then drafted Dareus.

I don't think it's a coincidence that teams like the Steelers can turn UDFA's and late rounders into stars at LB. Two things help - coaching and one of the best DL's in football. It's not a coincidence that even after pouring good money into their DL, Pittsburgh still spends a first round pick on a DE (Cam Heyward). And since DL usually need 1-2 years before they can get going in a 3-4 defense, I think Nix did what he was supposed to, and I think he'll continue to draft LB's until two of them step up to be legit starters.

And as far as getting better at positions in free agency, what about Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis? We may have been even worse than we were last year without those guys. Davis, despite getting injured, was rumored to be signed for his mentoring ability. I said from the minute he was signed that the first year he would be filling a roster/starter hole his first year and mentoring his second.

bf1
07-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Agreed. I get beaten up when I point out that Nix was with the organization a full year before he took over at GM. So there should be no excuse that he was new or just learning. He should have been able to hit the ground running.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Actually, IMO, the rebuilding of a defense starts with the DL, which is something Nix and co. addressed immediately. They drafted Troup and Carrington and signed Edwards, then drafted Dareus.

I don't think it's a coincidence that teams like the Steelers can turn UDFA's and late rounders into stars at LB. Two things help - coaching and one of the best DL's in football. It's not a coincidence that even after pouring good money into their DL, Pittsburgh still spends a first round pick on a DE (Cam Heyward). And since DL usually need 1-2 years before they can get going in a 3-4 defense, I think Nix did what he was supposed to, and I think he'll continue to draft LB's until two of them step up to be legit starters.

And as far as getting better at positions in free agency, what about Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis? We may have been even worse than we were last year without those guys. Davis, despite getting injured, was rumored to be signed for his mentoring ability. I said from the minute he was signed that the first year he would be filling a roster/starter hole his first year and mentoring his second.

I consider Davis and Edwards to be lateral moves- they were there simply to help us transition to the 3-4. They were both OK, but it's tough to argue that they made us better.

As far as Troup, Carrington, and Dareus, I have a lot more confidence in Carrington than Troup at this point. I didn't see much improvement from Troup over the course of the season, so that's a concern. Obviously we haven't seen Dareus in the NFL yet, but I suspect he'll be good. Going forward, I think Dareus, Williams and Carrington will be the real forces on the DL.

The problem is that sometimes you have to tear down before you can rebuild, and with the Poz situation, the tearing down is taking place too late. We could have had someone other than Poz learning the 3-4 ILB while the DL is being built.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Ugh what's new

Exactly- what's new?

Same ****, different day. And the same old mistakes are still holding the team back.

I'm glad Poz is gone. Other people are *****ing that we don't have a replacement, but the reality is that it shouldn't be an issue because we should have had a replacement last year.

Historian
07-27-2011, 09:30 AM
The problem is that sometimes you have to tear down before you can rebuild, and with the Poz situation, the tearing down is taking place too late.

Not to mention WAAAY too often!

bf1
07-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Add in the reluctance to "overpay" anyone good you see the results.

TacklingDummy
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Who's panicking? POS was injury prone and sucked. The Bills can sign some other scrub linebacker who can't cover Tight Ends and tackles guys 7 yards down the field.

DesertFox24
Yeah it is frustrating, but I really like Sheppard. I think Batten, Moats, and White are intriguing guys that could develop maybe in the future.

I think Batten is a more natural fit at OLB, but a lot will depend on Merriman and Kelsay. They say Batten will line up at ILB and could also push Davis for strong side ILB.

I do agree with the other poster though, in the 34 it all starts up front and if Williams and Darues can eat up 4 blockers by themselves or make teams pay for not doubling them then as long as we have some big stout LBs we could be ok in time.

Long story short expect us to play a lot of young players this year, and take our lumps early.

I am hoping for somewhere between 6 to 9 wins.

EDS

Let's not denigrate the Steelers organization by making any comparison with the Bills.

The Steelers have a great defensive mind in Dick LeBeau (Bills absolutely do not) and train their linebackers for 2+ years in their system before they hit the field. Plus they do use first (Timmons) and second (Woodley) round picks on LBs as well as sign quality veterans (Farrior) to supplement their late round and UDFA finds (Harrison, Lloyd, Porter, etc.). Worilds is next in line most likely.

The reason the Steelers took a DLman is because they lack depth and have a lot of age at the position and did not deem and CB worthy of the pick.

don137
07-27-2011, 09:39 AM
The problem is Buffalo has a reputation throughout the league with players as a team not committed to winning from a financial and front office perspective. Throw in the fact the drafting has been lousy and you get a frustrated fan base always having a team that is not competitive and players that do not want to play here. Thank goodness Buffalo has the Sabres. At least we have a Buffalo team committed to winning.

BillsWin
07-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Everyone is panicking about replacing Poz. In reality, a 4-3 guy like Poz should have been traded or cut last year, and a 3-4 guy should have been taking his lumps at Poz's spot for an entire year in a season that we already knew was all but wasted.

Last year, the offense improved, but it was in spite of Nix's free agent acquisitions, not because of them. Gailey was simply able to more offensively with the talent on the roster.

On the defensive side of the ball, we got better at ZERO positions via free agency, and there was ZERO immediate impact from rookies. Rebuilding on D is starting a year and a half too late.

Great post. Agree 100%.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Everyone is panicking about replacing Poz. In reality, a 4-3 guy like Poz should have been traded or cut last year, and a 3-4 guy should have been taking his lumps at Poz's spot for an entire year in a season that we already knew was all but wasted..
Typical OP looking for a reason to *****
With that logic, we should have gotten rid of Kyle Williams because he's not a 3-4 DT. Brilliant!!!!

You don't get rid of your players until you've had time to evaluate them. PERIOD.

Last year, the offense improved, but it was in spite of Nix's free agent acquisitions, not because of them. Gailey was simply able to more offensively with the talent on the roster.

lol. First you would have been pissed if Nix kept Poz. Now that Poz is gone, it's Nix's fault .

It's not Nix's fault that Jauron left us with a ton of holes.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 09:56 AM
BTW OP, you wanted that crappy OL Davis for our first round pick last year. He blows. That wouldn't have solved this situation and further delayed this team.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Typical OP looking for a reason to *****
With that logic, we should have gotten rid of Kyle Williams because he's not a 3-4 DT. Brilliant!!!!

You don't get rid of your players until you've had time to evaluate them. PERIOD.

Really? So, you're OK with a guy who had already been with the team for a YEAR and has tons of game and practice footage of all these guys delaying our rebuilding a year for evaluation?

That's ****ing ridiculous. Football professionals shouldn't need to piss away a full season just to evaluate guys.

lol. First you would have been pissed if Nix kept Poz. Now that Poz is gone, it's Nix's fault .

It's not Nix's fault that Jauron left us with a ton of holes.

I'm glad Poz is gone. Getting rid of him was the right move- it's just a year late. Other people are complaining that we don't have a replacement for Poz. Well, that's Nix's fault. Don't be mad that we lost Poz. Be mad that we lost a year of grooming a potential successor.

It's not Nix's fault that we were left with holes, but it is Nix's fault that he's taking his sweet ass time trying to fill them. By the time he patches up all the old holes, new ones will develop. The Circle of Mediocrity continues!

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 10:04 AM
BTW OP, you wanted that crappy OL Davis for our first round pick last year. He blows. That wouldn't have solved this situation and further delayed this team.

yeah because Spiller is just contributing SOOOOOO much..... what would we ever do without him?

bf1
They don't call him Bumbling Buddy for nothing.

psubills62
Let's not denigrate the Steelers organization by making any comparison with the Bills.

The Steelers have a great defensive mind in Dick LeBeau (Bills absolutely do not) and train their linebackers for 2+ years in their system before they hit the field. Plus they do use first (Timmons) and second (Woodley) round picks on LBs as well as sign quality veterans (Farrior) to supplement their late round and UDFA finds (Harrison, Lloyd, Porter, etc.). Worilds is next in line most likely.

The reason the Steelers took a DLman is because they lack depth and have a lot of age at the position and did not deem and CB worthy of the pick.
Funny how they never deem a CB worthy of a pick. The age of their DL is a concern, yes, but Keisel still has three years left on his contract and Evander Hood is young but ready to be a dominant starter. Age is an issue because they've had this dominant DL around for so long. So what does that tell you the focal point is of their defense? They can lose a guy like Joey Porter without missing a beat. I said specifically it was because of coaching and the DL. I haven't seen you disagree with those points yet.

When did I say the Bills were like the Steelers? My point was regarding prioritizing DL before LB's. I may be mistaken, but the Steelers seemed to have a pretty dang good DL when they started drafting LB's. That's where the rebuilding needs to start before getting top LB's.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Really? So, you're OK with a guy who had already been with the team for a YEAR and has tons of game and practice footage of all these guys delaying our rebuilding a year for evaluation?

That's ****ing ridiculous. Football professionals shouldn't need to piss away a full season just to evaluate guys.

I'm glad Poz is gone. Getting rid of him was the right move- it's just a year late. Other people are complaining that we don't have a replacement for Poz. Well, that's Nix's fault. Don't be mad that we lost Poz. Be mad that we lost a year of grooming a potential successor. !
So you're saying that after all the practice footage and games tapes we should have gotten rid of Kyle. I see you conveniently decided to ignore that. Why? Because you said he wasn't a fit last year and as it turns out, he had his best year.

It's not Nix's fault that we were left with holes, but it is Nix's fault that he's taking his sweet ass time trying to fill them. By the time he patches up all the old holes, new ones will develop. The Circle of Mediocrity continues!

Yet you thought that drafting Davis was the best move last year. Ha!

You can't fill all the holes in one year. It's common sense.

k-oneputt
07-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Gotta agree with that. D-line first then lbs. We got Sheppard, next year we add another.
Now if the o-line get get solified....

bf1
07-27-2011, 10:10 AM
At this rate, we'll be GREAT in 10 years!!!!!

If no one gets hurt. If we don't mind "overpaying" anyone to stay. If all the draft picks work out.

if, if, if.

k-oneputt
07-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Well when you f up the draft for a decade that's what happens.

psubills62
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
I consider Davis and Edwards to be lateral moves- they were there simply to help us transition to the 3-4. They were both OK, but it's tough to argue that they made us better.

As far as Troup, Carrington, and Dareus, I have a lot more confidence in Carrington than Troup at this point. I didn't see much improvement from Troup over the course of the season, so that's a concern. Obviously we haven't seen Dareus in the NFL yet, but I suspect he'll be good. Going forward, I think Dareus, Williams and Carrington will be the real forces on the DL.

The problem is that sometimes you have to tear down before you can rebuild, and with the Poz situation, the tearing down is taking place too late. We could have had someone other than Poz learning the 3-4 ILB while the DL is being built.
Davis made us better in the short term with his play, hopefully in the long term with his mentoring. Edwards isn't a top DE, I think he'll do well in a heavy rotation with other talented players. He was really the only 3-4 DE we had on the roster, so yes, he was meant to help with the transition and down the road.

To be honest, I don't think it's fair to judge our 3-4 DL players based on anything in their first year. If you look around the league, a lot of 3-4 guys, especially NT's, rarely, if ever, play their first year or two. Aubrayo Franklin played like 7 games his first two years. Ahtyba Rubin played sparingly his first year. Evander Hood barely played until last year's playoffs when he dominated and now is set to become a starter. Our rookies played their first year out of necessity only, and I think the second and third years will be better indicators of the kind of players they'll be.

I really don't think getting LB's in our defense is as important as getting DL. Plus, it's obvious Buffalo really wanted to sign Poz.

We had a lot of holes the first year. I think it was appropriate for Nix to draft DL, who generally take longer to learn the position in a 3-4, first, then we'll focus on LB's. They may even still sign a veteran, who knows at this point.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
So you're saying that after all the practice footage and games tapes we should have gotten rid of Kyle. I see you conveniently decided to ignore that. Why? Because you said he wasn't a fit last year and as it turns out, he had his best year.

No, I'm saying that Nix should be able to use the footage he had and the time he had with the team to know that he should have gotten rid of Poz and kept Kyle Williams. That's a call that professionals should be able to make. What I said last year is irrelevant to the fact that Nix should be able to evaluate without pissing away a season.

Yet you thought that drafting Davis was the best move last year. Ha!

You can't fill all the holes in one year. It's common sense.

Yeah, but it's also common sense that you can't go a full year patching ZERO holes, which is what the Bills did last year.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 10:19 AM
No, I'm saying that Nix should be able to use the footage he had and the time he had with the team to know that he should have gotten rid of Poz and kept Kyle Williams. That's a call that professionals should be able to make. What I said last year is irrelevant to the fact that Nix should be able to evaluate without pissing away a season.

easier said than done OP. No one here not even you thought that Kyle could make that transition. Even YOU wanted him gone last year.

No one here thought thought that Fitz would play as well as he did last year. Most of the board thought he shoud have been the one cut during training camp.

Yeah, but it's also common sense that you can't go a full year patching ZERO holes, which is what the Bills did last year.
he tried, he brought in Davis, Edwards, Merriman , Pears, etc.

?

Poilan sucks because he too didn't fill the holes in his first year here in buffalo and Indy.

djjimkelly
07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
hey patience everyone!

i think nix is reworking this front 7 nicely

i was indifferent to poz coming back hes a solid player but hes not a fit in our scheme

plus this staff and gm didnt draft him

we should all know the drill they will bring in their own guys unless the player is much better then average

EDS
07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Funny how they never deem a CB worthy of a pick. The age of their DL is a concern, yes, but Keisel still has three years left on his contract and Evander Hood is young but ready to be a dominant starter. Age is an issue because they've had this dominant DL around for so long. So what does that tell you the focal point is of their defense? They can lose a guy like Joey Porter without missing a beat. I said specifically it was because of coaching and the DL. I haven't seen you disagree with those points yet.

When did I say the Bills were like the Steelers? My point was regarding prioritizing DL before LB's. I may be mistaken, but the Steelers seemed to have a pretty dang good DL when they started drafting LB's. That's where the rebuilding needs to start before getting top LB's.

The Steelers drafted a bunch of linebackers last season to groom as future contributors. This season it was obvious they were going o-line or d-line unless there was a corner worth drafting.

Interestingly, Brett Keisel was a college teammate of, and drafted the same season as, Ryan Denney. Bills had the good furtune to draft Denney in the 2nd round while the Steelers took Keisel in the 7th.

Whoops.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
easier said than done OP. No one here not even you thought that Kyle could make that transition. Even YOU wanted him gone last year.

No one here thought thought that Fitz would play as well as he did last year. Most of the board thought he shoud have been the one cut during training camp.

I'm not a football professional. I do this as a hobby in my spare time. Nix damn well better be able to make better calls than me. I'm disappointed that he hasn't.

he tried, he brought in Davis, Edwards, Merriman , Pears, etc.

Poilan sucks because he too didn't fill the holes in his first year here in buffalo and Indy.

Merriman remains to be seen. Pears was a necessity. Edwards and Davis were bodies to fill out the 3-4, and the same type of mediocre FA signings that have plagued this team for 6 or 7 years. They're not bad, but they're not difference makers and as a whole, they don't make the team any better. No one thinks that Davis and Edwards are part of the long term plan.

I don't recall what Polian did in his first year, but my guess is that he found at least ONE long term solution in his first year. Also, there was no FA in Polian's first year so it was a different game.

DraftBoy
07-27-2011, 10:32 AM
My big concern is not with the loss of Poz, I want to replace him with a more athletic guy who can also blitz. Our 34 doesnt have near the unpredictability of other teams do. We have no pass rush up the middle.

Captain gameboy
07-27-2011, 10:38 AM
My big concern is not with the loss of Poz, I want to replace him with a more athletic guy who can also blitz. Our 34 doesnt have near the unpredictability of other teams do. We have no pass rush up the middle.

I agree. I think Poz was a bit of a dinosaur on the team last year, and if we are truly going to go to a 3-4, we don't need to spend 7+ on the guy.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm with you guys on the loss of Poz- I just think we made a mistake by not doing it a year sooner.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm not a football professional. I do this as a hobby in my spare time. Nix damn well better be able to make better calls than me. I'm disappointed that he hasn't. .
So there it is, that Pat Moran professional excuse doesn't fly anymore.

BTW, if were that easy, BB would have started Brady from day one and gotten rid of Drew but no...... Drew had to go down before he discovered what Brady could do.

It took an injury to Kolb before Reid discovered what Vick could do.

Merriman remains to be seen. Pears was a necessity. Edwards and Davis were bodies to fill out the 3-4, and the same type of mediocre FA signings that have plagued this team for 6 or 7 years. They're not bad, but they're not difference makers and as a whole, they don't make the team any better. No one thinks that Davis and Edwards are part of the long term plan..
I agree. Everything remains to be seen ,butt it isn't like Nix isn't trying like you make it out to be.

I don't recall what Polian did in his first year, but my guess is that he found at least ONE long term solution in his first year. Also, there was no FA in Polian's first year so it was a different game.

I don't care if there were no FA's in his 1st year. Every team was under the same set of rules.

bills went 4-12. 2nd year 7-9 . He didn't hit it until he traded for Cornellius Bennett which was a couple of years later.

Panters 7-9 1st season SB the next. Not bad.

Colts 3-13 first year but he had the luck to draft Peyton Manning.

DraftBoy
07-27-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm with you guys on the loss of Poz- I just think we made a mistake by not doing it a year sooner.

Dont really agree here. No reason to cut the guy given our LB situation last year. We didnt have anybody worth replacing him with. White and Shepp weren't here, Batten was injured, and Moats isn't an ILB.

So transition wise we don't gain anything.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 10:44 AM
So there it is, that Pat Moran professional excuse doesn't fly anymore.

BTW, if were that easy, BB would have started Brady from day one and gotten rid of Drew but no...... Drew had to go down before he discovered what Brady could do.

It took an injury to Kolb before Reid discovered what Vick could do.

And there it is.... using the exception to prove the rule, and failing to acknowledge that there is a difference between QB and DL or LB.

I don't care if there were no FA's in his 1st year. Every team was under the same set of rules.

bills went 4-12. 2nd year 7-9 . He didn't hit it until he traded for Cornellius Bennett which was a couple of years later.

Panters 7-9 1st season SB the next. Not bad.

Colts 3-13 first year but he had the luck to draft Peyton Manning.

Again, exceptions to prove the rule. Do you really expect the Bills to go 7-9 this year? I certainly don't.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 10:49 AM
And there it is.... using the exception to prove the rule, and failing to acknowledge that there is a difference between QB and DL or LB. .
it doesn't matter if it's a different position. To say that game tape should be enough applies to every position.

Again, exceptions to prove the rule. Do you really expect the Bills to go 7-9 this year? I certainly don't.

No they are not exceptions to the rule. Every great GM and coach do not get it right in their first year and you and I know that NIx is no Polian so I don't expect him to get it right in his first year.
BTW, even Chan who you praise and seem to be happy with didn't get it right away via tape with Trent. It had to take 2 regular season games for him to realize that he had the wrong player starting for him.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Dont really agree here. No reason to cut the guy given our LB situation last year. We didnt have anybody worth replacing him with. White and Shepp weren't here, Batten was injured, and Moats isn't an ILB.

So transition wise we don't gain anything.
exactly. BTW, even Polian had a knack for finding players in the later rounds and not via FA'cy.

Night Train
07-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Agreed but I think my eyes were opened to how bad Jauron screwed this team when all those Vet LB's cut by other teams were signed by the Bills last spring, only to find out none of them could play worth a crap. Drafting Maybin..ugh..

Then it showed at many other positions. Bills were forced to make do with Poz and players of his ilk. Hopefully, these last 2 drafts produce several future starters of quality. Bills have little choice but to play the youth and that's fine with me, with my expectations for this season being zilch. Just build towards something.

Although someone still needs to explain Kelsay to me. The love for this guy is beyond baffling.

Captain gameboy
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM

I looked at a Jags fan site.
They had a post by a guy who provided a youtube of Poz vs. the Bengals, with the comment that he looks like the total package.

In the video, he doesn't do much except run guys down and get burned on a play action from the two that results in four replays of him getting flagged for a gross pass interference.

Ya. "Total package." 7 million.

As an aside, watching that video, Kyle Williams is really, really good.

Historian
07-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Bills had the good furtune to draft Denney in the 2nd round

:rofl:

That just looks funny in print!

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 11:16 AM

I think we all know we didn't sign any impact free agents last year. The rookies on D did what is expected of rookies, they took their lumps. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
it doesn't matter if it's a different position. To say that game tape should be enough applies to every position.

No they are not exceptions to the rule. Every great GM and coach do not get it right in their first year and you and I know that NIx is no Polian so I don't expect him to get it right in his first year.
BTW, even Chan who you praise and seem to be happy with didn't get it right away via tape with Trent. It had to take 2 regular season games for him to realize that he had the wrong player starting for him.

Chan didn't have a year with the team in addition to the tapes like Nix did, and QB's are harder to evaluate whether you admit it or not.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
I think we all know we didn't sign any impact free agents last year. The rookies on D did what is expected of rookies, they took their lumps. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

We should have had a rookie in Poz's position taking his lumps last year. Instead, we need to do it this year.

Jan Reimers
07-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I think our D will be better this year. We have some major "ifs," but its not for lack of trying by Nix and Company. In addition to an underappreciated NT in Kyle Williams, we have added - over the last two drafts and FA/UDFA periods - Carrington, Troup, Moats, Batten, Coleman, Edwards, Davis, Dareus, Sheppard and Merriman (to name the most important) to our front 7. And I would think we will add an ILB to replace Poz.

So could you Doom and Gloomers at least wait until free agency is over, and camp is going so we can get a look at the many 2nd year guys, the rookies and UDFAs, and the health of Merriman, before crapping all over everything.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Chan didn't have a year with the team in addition to the tapes like Nix did, and QB's are harder to evaluate whether you admit it or not.

Chan had all preseason to evaluate both qb's. Nix wasn't the one drawing up the plays during the one year he was here. He was a draft scout. He wasn't the one who was going to be telling Poz what to do, Chan was.

Let me put is this way. Nix didn't do anything different from what he did with Kyle Williams . He kept them both and let his coaches take a closer look and have them evaluate both players. One panned out and the other one left.

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
We should have had a rookie in Poz's position taking his lumps last year. Instead, we need to do it this year.

You only get so many picks.

Captain gameboy
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Think Wanny was in on this?
I do.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Think Wanny was in on this?
I do.

Good point- I didn't think of that.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Chan had all preseason to evaluate both qb's. Nix wasn't the one drawing up the plays during the one year he was here. He was a draft scout. He wasn't the one who was going to be telling Poz what to do, Chan was.

Let me put is this way. Nix didn't do anything different from what he did with Kyle Williams . He kept them both and let his coaches take a closer look and have them evaluate both players. One panned out and the other one left.

Well, let's put it this way.

Before last season started, if you had asked me which 4-3 defender was more likely to work out in the 3-4, Poz or Williams, I would have said Williams. Neither are 3-4 prototypes, but Williams is a baller who has always exceeded expectations. Poz, not so much.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Yeah, well, I haven't mentioned it in this thread yet, but my one of my biggest complaints about Nix so far is the way he handled the Lynch situation.

If he had traded Lynch BEFORE the 2010 draft, then we would have had someone who could have helped us THIS season- perhaps an LB who could have played in Poz's place.

In addition, he could have traded Poz for a 2010 pick.

Captain gameboy
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Good point- I didn't think of that.

I think his prints are going to be all over personnel decisions on D this year.

This seemingly downplaying of his role by the organization is contrived, I think.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
and it's not like Patrick Willis was available last year.

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah, well, I haven't mentioned it in this thread yet, but my one of my biggest complaints about Nix so far is the way he handled the Lynch situation.

If he had traded Lynch BEFORE the 2010 draft, then we would have had someone who could have helped us THIS season- perhaps an LB who could have played in Poz's place.

In addition, he could have traded Poz for a 2010 pick.

1) you don't know what or was not offered for Lynch but it's safe to say it wasn't a top 3 round pick. So holding on to Lynch for depth and to see if he could get more later makes some sense.

2) what guarantee do you have than some random 4th round choice could help us this year? That's a stretch.

3) You don't trade Poz when you have noone to replace him with.

The funny thing about you OP is if we had drafted a LB you'd have redone this thread about the position we didn't draft instead. Being a critic of a team with more holes than swiss cheese is pretty easy. And pretty boring.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 11:50 AM
1) you don't know what or was not offered for Lynch but it's safe to say it wasn't a top 3 round pick. So holding on to Lynch for depth and to see if he could get more later makes some sense.

2) what guarantee do you have than some random 4th round choice could help us this year? That's a stretch.

The funny thing about you OP is if we had drafted a LB you'd have redone this thread about the position we didn't draft instead. Being a critic of a team with more holes than swiss cheese is pretty easy. And pretty boring.

the only way Nix could have kept Poz was to pay him more than 7 million. Nix didn't do it so Op has to find another way to complain about Nix.

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
The switch to the 3-4 is never done in one year. We should all be more concerned with whether Shepperd can play not whether or not we got him a year late. It's not like we were/are a player or 2 away from being good.

mysticsoto
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
You wanted somebody in there taking the lumps for Poz, but suppose no one was there? You ever stop to think that maybe that was the original plan with Batten - but then Batten got hurt and changed everything?

I strongly argued for keeping Poz but only at a reasonable rate. For $7 mil, I wish him the best at JAX. Now Sheppard, Batten and several others will have to compete. I do wish we had drafted some of the LBs that were available on draft day that I mentioned in the past, but we're here now and this is what we got. Can't wait to go to TC and see what they have to offer.

Oh, and one more thing...saying that Nix had a year with the org and therefore should have been able to cut people last year is not quite fair. There was no footage on any one of the D playing in a 3-4 and if you just assume they can't you miss out on prospects like Kyle who despite not being the prototypical NT, still excelled. That's why you don't do impulsive cutting without evaluating first!

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM

The only guarantee is that keeping Poz would have left us with a player who's just as average as Poz.

You can't bet better by keeping the same guys around.

And your 3rd point makes no sense whatsoever. We didn't trade Poz because we had no one to replace him with, then we got 1 season of the worst run D in the leage out of him, and then he walked for nothing. Yeah, that's SOOOOO much better than trading him last year..... :rolleyes:.

No **** I would have been critical about the positions we didn't draft. Nix wasted a year by not filling any holes last season. Every year, other teams improve, and every year, I have to read posts here about how there were too many holes to fill or no one was available or that guy was too expensive. Meanwhile, plenty of other teams around the league improve, or in the case of NE, just maintain dominant status. I'm tired of the excuses and tired of the knee-jerk defense of the FO's mistakes.

And no one said that what I'm saying isn't easy. I never claimed to have any profound insight. But surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly), many people still don't see it. Stop and think about that for a second.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
You wanted somebody in there taking the lumps for Poz, but suppose no one was there? You ever stop to think that maybe that was the original plan with Batten - but then Batten got hurt and changed everything?

I strongly argued for keeping Poz but only at a reasonable rate. For $7 mil, I wish him the best at JAX. Now Sheppard, Batten and several others will have to compete. I do wish we had drafted some of the LBs that were available on draft day that I mentioned in the past, but we're here now and this is what we got. Can't wait to go to TC and see what they have to offer.

Oh, and one more thing...saying that Nix had a year with the org and therefore should have been able to cut people last year is not quite fair. There was no footage on any one of the D playing in a 3-4 and if you just assume they can't you miss out on prospects like Kyle who despite not being the prototypical NT, still excelled. That's why you don't do impulsive cutting without evaluating first!

I'm sick of the "No one is there" excuse. It never seems to prevent our opponents from improving....

And you're not going to sell me on this "impulsive cutting" argument. Switching to a 3-4 wasn't going to give Poz more speed to the outside or give him the ability to shed a block or give him the ability to turn his hips in pass coverage. If you want to say "This player is good in the 4-3 so let's give him a chance in the 3-4," fine, but Poz wasn't good in the 4-3, so changing it up was never going to help him.

justasportsfan
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Every year, other teams improve, and every year, I have to read posts here about how there were too many holes to fill or no one was available or that guy was too expensive.

Like you've always whined about , not many teams have drafted badly like th bills have. Not many teams have had the past coach make so many holes.

mysticsoto
07-27-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm sick of the "No one is there" excuse. It never seems to prevent our opponents from improving....

And you're not going to sell me on this "impulsive cutting" argument. Switching to a 3-4 wasn't going to give Poz more speed to the outside or give him the ability to shed a block or give him the ability to turn his hips in pass coverage. If you want to say "This player is good in the 4-3 so let's give him a chance in the 3-4," fine, but Poz wasn't good in the 4-3, so changing it up was never going to help him.

Poz was ok in a 4-3. Not superb, but certainly not crap either - like you are trying to make it sound. Having a terrible Dline made him seem worse, but let's put things in perspective here. Roseanne Barr could have run past the Dline we had last year!

Like I said, Poz was ok, but $7 mil was too high.

If we have as good a Dline as I am hoping we do now, our LBs will benefit by default.

Bill Cody
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
You can't bet better by keeping the same guys around.

True. By that logic we'd have to cut the entire roster, think about it. Of course that's neither practical nor advisable, but don't let that stop you.

Danny Duberstein
07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Agreed. I get beaten up when I point out that Nix was with the organization a full year before he took over at GM. So there should be no excuse that he was new or just learning. He should have been able to hit the ground running.

Wasn't he just a scout? How much time do you think he spent evaluating the players that were already on our roster?

Stewie
07-27-2011, 11:07 PM
The premis of this thread is buddy nix should have been smart enough to cut a guy who sucks enough to earn 7 million a year on the open market.

And it got 4 pages.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 11:10 PM
True. By that logic we'd have to cut the entire roster, think about it. Of course that's neither practical nor advisable, but don't let that stop you.

well of course it's not practical. But when an opportunity to get rid of old trash presents itself, you have to take it.

OpIv37
07-27-2011, 11:12 PM
The premis of this thread is buddy nix should have been smart enough to cut a guy who sucks enough to earn 7 million a year on the open market.

And it got 4 pages.

The premise of this thread is that Buddy Nix should have started rebuilding LAST year instead of this year.

And you are going to use the money a FA made as a determination of his worth?

If you want to know why that's wrong, look at pretty much any FA the Redskins have signed.

alohabillsfan
07-28-2011, 05:28 AM
OMG! Please pass your crystal freaking ball to one bills drive.... Good god, let it go. OP Please call JG Wentworth

You do realize that this is entertainment and when it becomes un-entertaining you should do somethings that makes you happy, life is to short. I enjoy the prospect of a good season, beating the Pats, landing a top FA and having draft picks step up and contribute. If its a crappy game or season I dont have to watch. Simple.

YardRat
07-28-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm OK with the moves the team made last season (Troup, Carrington, Edwards, Davis, Torbor, etc) and also OK with the full season evaluation after the switch to the 34.

I'm very OK with the POS not coming back this season.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
OMG! Please pass your crystal freaking ball to one bills drive.... Good god, let it go. OP Please call JG Wentworth

You do realize that this is entertainment and when it becomes un-entertaining you should do somethings that makes you happy, life is to short. I enjoy the prospect of a good season, beating the Pats, landing a top FA and having draft picks step up and contribute. If its a crappy game or season I dont have to watch. Simple.

We only get 16 games a year- win, lose or draw. Fans watch them all.

I don't know where people got this crazy idea that, because football is entertainment, it needs to be pleasant ALL the time. The reality is that we are fans of a team that isn't very good. That means that it isn't always fun and it isn't always pleasant. If you want it to be, then you should limit yourself to rooting for the Patriots and playing fantasy football. Those aren't guaranteed to be fun and/or pleasant either, but it would greatly increase your odds.