PDA

View Full Version : haynesworth to the patriots

CuseJetsFan83
07-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Forked from: NFL Free Agency signings/rumors/discussion (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3492827)

AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Washington traded DT Albert Haynesworth to the New England Patriots for a fifth-round pick in 2013.

so much for NE not making rash decisions

chernobylwraiths
07-28-2011, 05:42 AM
Haynesworth and Wilfork in the middle? :ill:

mayotm
07-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Forked from: NFL Free Agency signings/rumors/discussion (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3492827)

so much for NE not making rash decisionsA 5th round pick is totally worth the risk. Seems like a low risk, high reward move to me. I hope it doesn't work out, but won't be at all surprised if Haynesworth plays well for them.

CuseJetsFan83
07-28-2011, 05:44 AM
A 5th round pick is totally worth the risk. Seems like a low risk, high reward move to me. I hope it doesn't work out, but won't be at all surprised if Haynesworth plays well for them.

i mean rash decisions as in this is totally an odd move for a normally cool calm collected patriots FO.....

not to mention as a 3/4 defense... wonder if this means some newer packages or to try and not wear out wilfork

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 05:47 AM
Wow, Belichick has taken on some headcases before, but this may be his biggest challenge.

My guess is they use him inside as a nickel rusher on passing downs, which is something they really could use. I guess they are that desperate to upgrade their pass rush. If Albert decides to play it is a huge upgrade. Big if, though. The guy is a self-centered turd.

Not my favorite player in the NFL, though. Incredibly talented, but I hate guys who only play when they want to play.

mayotm
07-28-2011, 05:48 AM
i mean rash decisions as in this is totally an odd move for a normally cool calm collected patriots FO.....

not to mention as a 3/4 defense... wonder if this means some newer packages or to try and not wear out wilforkThe Pats have always played as much as a hybrid as they do a straight 3/4. They'll find a place for him.

chernobylwraiths
07-28-2011, 05:48 AM

not to mention as a 3/4 defense... wonder if this means some newer packages or to try and not wear out wilfork

Two words, Randy Moss.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 05:49 AM
BTW, he is due $12.6M over the next 2 years. After that his contract just gets silly. I wonder if a new contract is part of the deal, like when they dealt for Moss.

mayotm
07-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Two words, Randy Moss.I hope he doesn't have the productivity Moss had at NE.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 05:52 AM
The Pats have always played as much as a hybrid as they do a straight 3/4. They'll find a place for him.

They are in sub defenses over half the time, because they have a good offense and usually the score dictates a lot of passing for the other team. Their base 3/4 will remain unchanged, but where Haynesworth fits in theoretically is improving their pass rush. He is a terror rushing the passer when he wants to be, pushing the pocket and blowing up blocking schemes. The problem is, getting him to want to.

Albert isn't always healthy either. Seems to miss a few games a year. Motivation is the question with the guy.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 05:55 AM
I wonder how Albert likes the Pats conditioning test. He struggled passing one with Washington last year, and Belichick refuses to let guys practice until they pass the conditioning test.

HAMMER
07-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Uh oh.

CuseJetsFan83
07-28-2011, 06:08 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/prosecutors-could-call-10-witnesses-in-haynesworth-sex-abuse-trial/2011/07/11/gIQAyCRA9H_blog.html

may be subject to personal conduct since this happened before lockout??

don137
07-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Haynesworth is a head case but so was/is Moss. If anyone can turn Haynesworth around it is New England.

methos4ever
07-28-2011, 06:20 AM
And Icky can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pats the last few years have been using 4-3 packages a bit more than the 3-4, so putting him at 3 tech and letting him rush the passer is what he wants to do and helps them replace Banta-Cain's production.

jcdavey
07-28-2011, 06:28 AM
al just won the lottery, joining the best team he's ever been on.....

that's gonna make him be good

BB is a genius

TacklingDummy
07-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Wish Buffalo would make moves like this. But then again that's why New England is winners and Buffalo is not.

alohabillsfan
07-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Ne will trade him to Buffalo for next years 1st rd pick..

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 07:14 AM
And Icky can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pats the last few years have been using 4-3 packages a bit more than the 3-4, so putting him at 3 tech and letting him rush the passer is what he wants to do and helps them replace Banta-Cain's production.

They are a base 3-4 team, but are in their base defense less than half the time. Love to use extra DB's/LB's, and will have as many as 1 to 4 true DL on passing downs. They will modify the scheme to fit the talent (they were a 4-3 team when they won the SB in 2001), but usually remain 2-Gap on defense up front.

He will be used on passing downs and probably doesn't see much time in the 3-4, as they really need the pass rush help. That is assuming they don't cut him in the next month because he isn't worth the trouble.

tampabay25690
07-28-2011, 07:18 AM
heard it today on Sirius.
I almost threw up.....
Said the AFC east just keeps getting better and better..
Bills better do something soon...

They basically said they will probably run a 4-3, 3-4 defense.
NE knows how to mix it up so seeing Wifork and Haynesworth in the middle is a nightmare for opposing Centers, and Guards....

X-Era
07-28-2011, 07:19 AM
heard it today on Sirius.
I almost threw up.....
Said the AFC east just keeps getting better and better..
Bills better do something soon...

They basically said they will probably run a 4-3, 3-4 defense.
NE knows how to mix it up so seeing Wifork and Haynesworth in the middle is a nightmare for opposing Centers, and Guards....Cough-Clabo-cough

If we can land Clabo and still land Burnett and/or Babin I will be ecstatic.

tampabay25690
07-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Cough-Clabo-cough

If we can land Clabo and still land Burnett and/or Babin I will be ecstatic.

Would be a nice landing all around if we do that.....
Clabo would be a very nice addition right away...

Burnett is sounding like he may stay put but we will see....
SD will have to sign either him or Siler....

DrGraves
07-28-2011, 07:45 AM
any progress we made catching up DL-wise with dareus just got negated. crap.

mayotm
07-28-2011, 08:13 AM
any progress we made catching up DL-wise with dareus just got negated. crap.Another team's improvement on the defensive line doesn't negate the Bills improvement on the defensive line.

DrGraves
07-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Well I'm back to hating ESPN. They've been showing an empty patriots press table and mic every other story waiting for bellicheat. who cares.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Wish Buffalo would make moves like this. But then again that's why New England is winners and Buffalo is not.

I do wish the Bills would make moves like this, but I'm ok with them not making this particular move. As someone in the DC area, I can tell you that Haynesworth is a complete headcase who has pissed off fans, teammates, coaches and ownership. He's a headache that we don't need.

That being said, I don't like him being in NE. I'd like to think he'll be the same way, but Bellicheck also managed to get production out of Randy Moss and Corey Dillon when they were headcases elsewhere. So I have a bad feeling this will work out for them.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Another team's improvement on the defensive line doesn't negate the Bills improvement on the defensive line.

Their improvement doesn't make our DL worse.

But the reality is that there is a huge talent gap between us and the Patriots. The only way we are going to beat them and make the playoffs is if we close that talent gap. Them getting Haynesworth pretty much negates any talent upgrades we made this season.

This is the whole problem with the way the Bills do things. Every year, it's "there's no one available" or "we're building through the draft," but every year, our opponents (particularly NE) find a way to add talent. So we are perpetually behind.

PromoTheRobot
07-28-2011, 09:32 AM
No one was impressed with Stroud when he was a Bill. Fat Al was a useless tub of crap for the last two seasons. But everyone is fudging their drawers now that the Pats sign them? The Bills have Dareus and Kyle Williams. I'll take them over Haynesworth and Stroud any day.

PTR

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 09:35 AM
No one was impressed with Stroud when he was a Bill. Fat Al was a useless tub of crap for the last two seasons. But everyone is fudging their drawers now that the Pats sign them? The Bills have Dareus and Kyle Williams. I'll take them over Haynesworth and Stroud any day.

PTR

That's not the point.

The point is

A) Once again, the Patriots are adding talent while the Bills maintain the status quo.

B) While Haynesworth was a waste in DC, both Randy Moss and Corey Dillon were headcases on previous teams, but were big contributors on the Patriots. I'd love to say that Haynesworth is useless because of what happened in DC, but history has shown that players revive their careers in NE.

psubills62
07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
And the Patriots have released Marcus Stroud. Gee, that lasted a long time.

Ed
07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I hate this move because if anyone can get the most out of Haynesworth it will be the Patriots. I also hate it because they're basically getting him for nothing. The Redskins have paid him most of his money so his cap hit for the next two years isn't that big and all they gave up was a 5th rounder in 2013, which doesn't really mean anything since they will probably have 12 picks that year anyway. So there's not even really a chance of him becoming a cancer and hurting the Pats because Belichick will just cut him without hesitation. I also hate this move because now it puts more pressure on the Jets to keep getting better and they'll probably end up signing Asomough and others. This feels like the the AL East where the Red Sox and Yankees continue to fight for supremecy and we're stuck being the Blue Jays or Orioles.

justasportsfan
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Yikes , Wilfork and Haynesworth + Bellicheat. They should change their names from Patriots to Al Qaeda.

trapezeus
07-28-2011, 10:18 AM
belichick's deal must be that he outcrazies the crazies. so the moss's and haynesworths come in and are like, "that guy is one big jerk. i hope people don't see me like that." Then they fall into line and restore their glory.

haynesworth goes to any other of the 31 teams = bust.
haynesworth goes to the patriots = probably restored to glory.

however, i will root that one of these days the patriots step in it big time and have their team ripped up internally because haynesworth is a greater ******* than belichick.

PromoTheRobot
07-28-2011, 10:26 AM
That's not the point.

The point is

A) Once again, the Patriots are adding talent while the Bills maintain the status quo.

B) While Haynesworth was a waste in DC, both Randy Moss and Corey Dillon were headcases on previous teams, but were big contributors on the Patriots. I'd love to say that Haynesworth is useless because of what happened in DC, but history has shown that players revive their careers in NE.

Hillarious. How are the Bills sticking with the status quo? Did we not draft Dareus? Did we not let Poz leave? Is free agency period over already? Also I love how you assume Haynesworth is going to be so great now that he's in New England when he hasn't done jack *****t since he got his big raise. Belicheat will just sprinkle some pixie dust on his fat arse and he'll be awesome again.

The reason Haynesworth has rep even though he's a fat load is because of fanboys still playing Madden '09. I'm not impressed by the move.

PTR

psubills62
07-28-2011, 10:30 AM
What people seem to forget is that even in Tennessee Haynesworth didn't do very much until his contract years.

justasportsfan
07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
That's not the point.

The point is

the Pats can do that because they already built thier core while the bills are still in the process.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-28-2011, 10:35 AM
I wonder how Albert likes the Pats conditioning test. He struggled passing one with Washington last year, and Belichick refuses to let guys practice until they pass the conditioning test.
Judging by the CBA details I've heard so far, that conditioning test may be a thing of the past.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
And the Patriots have released Marcus Stroud. Gee, that lasted a long time.

He hasn't actually been cut yet, although there are rumors he will be. His shoulder apparently hasn't healed sufficiently after being hurt last year. If they cut him, he may be brought back later if he gets healthy.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 11:26 AM
he Bills have Dareus and Kyle Williams. I'll take them over Haynesworth and Stroud any day.

The Pats have Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren and Mike Wright as starters on the DL. Haynesworth, assuming they don't cut him before the season, would rotate in.

Haynesworth is a boom-or-bust pick. The risk is low because they could get rid of him without penalty. The payoff is potentially high because he is as talented a DL as there is in the NFL.

The issue is his generally being an egotistical jackwagon, and whether they can motivate him to play. They were able to do so in the past with guys like Randy Moss and Corey Dillon. They didn't have as much luck with some others (Johnathan Sullivan comes to mind). I guess it is worth a shot, although I will have to hold my nose to root for the guy.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Hillarious. How are the Bills sticking with the status quo? Did we not draft Dareus? Did we not let Poz leave? Is free agency period over already? Also I love how you assume Haynesworth is going to be so great now that he's in New England when he hasn't done jack *****t since he got his big raise. Belicheat will just sprinkle some pixie dust on his fat arse and he'll be awesome again.

The reason Haynesworth has rep even though he's a fat load is because of fanboys still playing Madden '09. I'm not impressed by the move.

PTR

First, I didn't assume anything about Haynesworth. I said we can't discount the possibility because of what has happened in the past. And he doesn't have to be great because the Pats already have Wilfork. If he's an average back-up, he makes them better.

Second, we are sticking with the status quo. This may come as a surprise to you, but we draft EVERY YEAR. Drafting Dareus is no different from drafting Spiller or Maybin. We are stilll over-relying on the draft and watching other teams improve while our FO makes excuses as to why they can't sign FA's. If you don't see it now, you will see it on the field when we play NE.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 11:31 AM
the Pats can do that because they already built thier core while the bills are still in the process.

we've been "in the process" for 10 ****ing years. Don't you ever get sick of being in the process?

justasportsfan
07-28-2011, 11:34 AM
we've been "in the process" for 10 ****ing years. Don't you ever get sick of being in the process?
NOt under Nix. If you want to blame him for the last decade go ahead.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 11:38 AM
NOt under Nix. If you want to blame him for the last decade go ahead.

I blame Nix for starting the rebuilding process too late, re-signing Kelsay and botching the Lynch situation last year.

But in reality, it's Ralph's fault. 4 GM's, 4 head coaches, same results. I'd like to think this time around will be different, but why should we? We're still over-relying on the draft and building a future that's never going to get here. It's never going to change, unless we get a new owner.

justasportsfan
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I blame Nix for starting the rebuilding process too late, re-signing Kelsay and botching the Lynch situation last year.

lol. I year is too late. Like I said, Polian got the same results in his first years .

mysticsoto
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM

But in reality, it's Ralph's fault. 4 GM's, 4 head coaches, same results. I'd like to think this time around will be different, but why should we? We're still over-relying on the draft and building a future that's never going to get here. It's never going to change, unless we get a new owner.

This atleast makes a little more sense than some of the things you were saying previously.

PromoTheRobot
07-28-2011, 11:57 AM
lol. I year is too late. Like I said, Polian got the same results in his first years .
No unrealistic expectations from OpI. :lol:

PTR

Oaf
07-28-2011, 12:02 PM
This is bad news for the Bills.

Ingtar33
07-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Haynesworth and Wilfork in the middle? :ill:

yeah... i did that math too. Looks like they're getting tougher to run against. i wonder if they're planning to shift to a 4-3 on a more regular basis.