PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think that there will be broken "verbal contracts" come Friday?

Michael82
07-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Forked from: NFL Free Agency signings/rumors/discussion (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3492683)

I find this "negotiation period" interesting. Does anyone think that there are verbal agreements being made that will be broken come Friday? It seems to me that in general the agreements that are made are for so much money that other teams are out of the bidding, but you never know. Once the numbers are public info, then other teams know what they were up against.

I completely agree. I know that everyone is agreeing verbally, but there are several players that might still get a better offer tomorrow night, once they can visit with teams and take physicals. I wouldn't be surprised if several of these verbal contracts are broken.

That's also why they say some teams arent getting into it until this weekend, when they will be able to bring the players to their facilities to work out and take physicals, plus give them tours of the facility and have them meet the coaches.

Extremebillsfan247
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
It's possible but with a relatively short window for signings, I wouldn't put much hope into it. Players want to concentrate on getting to camp without having to worry about contracts and other distractions that usually come earlier in the year for free agents.

The reason there are so many verbals is because it can't be official yet. But when it is, you better have your team or teams lined up if your a player, or you could find yourself out of a job. There are a large amount of free agents still on the market, and its going to grow considerably today. Anyone opting out of a verbal is committing contractual suicide in my opinion.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 08:40 AM
I think it's possible and it may happen for some of the "lesser" names, but I highly doubt it will happen for the big names.

It's too much bad publicity for the player and for the team that swoops in and makes the higher bid. I don't see a player who is already making $6 or $7 million pissing off a team over an extra $500k, and I don't see a GM risking the backlash. He may have to trade players or picks with the guy he just stole a player from in a couple of months, and that doesn't bode well.

ddaryl
07-28-2011, 08:41 AM
there may be 1 or 2 but for the most part I don't expect it.

Michael82
07-28-2011, 08:47 AM
It's possible but with a relatively short window for signings, I wouldn't put much hope into it. Players want to concentrate on getting to camp without having to worry about contracts and other distractions that usually come earlier in the year for free agents.

The reason there are so many verbals is because it can't be official yet. But when it is, you better have your team or teams lined up if your a player, or you could find yourself out of a job. There are a large amount of free agents still on the market, and its going to grow considerably today. Anyone opting out of a verbal is committing contractual suicide in my opinion.

Hmm, good point. But keep in mind that the players can not start practicing at camp with their new teams until after the CBA is ratified and that's rumored to be on August 4th. That still gives them time to work on contracts or whatever.

Michael82
07-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Brandon Stokley is the first one. :rofl:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/brandon-stokley-thinks-twice-about-heading-to-washington/

Extremebillsfan247
07-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Ha ha, Brandon Stokley reportedly just backed out of a verbal agreement with Washington according to PFT. So, I guess it is possible.

Michael82
07-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Ha ha, Brandon Stokley reportedly just backed out of a verbal agreement with Washington according to PFT. So, I guess it is possible.

Yes it is possible. It's also why I said that some players are waiting until tomorrow to submit offers. They are worried that if they do it now publicly, it may be leaked out and another team might outbid them now before the contract is signed. I could also see some teams waiting until Friday, when they can meet the player, give them a tour of the facility and have them meet the coaches.