PDA

View Full Version : How do the Cardinals give up Rodgers-Cromartie and 2nd round pick for Kolb?

Sportsuser101
07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
What has Kolb shown? I mean that seems like alot.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
It is a lot.

Think of the good side: In a year or two, Kolb will supplant Rob Johnson as the gold standard for overpaying for QB's who haven't proven anything.

alnilla
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
was thinking the same thing. thats steep price to pay for someone that has shown flashes of greatness......

soapman
07-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Ask the folks on this board and many would say that he's the next great thing.

wmoz11
07-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Not to mention the 65M contract with over 22 guaranteed.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 02:29 PM
was thinking the same thing. thats steep price to pay for someone that has shown no flashes of greatness......

I fixed it for you.

Night Train
07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Insane but people get desperate for QB's, like we did for RJ and Bledsoe years back and overpay.

Eagles get a solid CB and a high pick. They win this trade.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 02:41 PM
The money he got is very similar to what Aaron Rodgers signed for a few years ago. Rodgers also had 7 career starts when he signed the deal.

They must really like the kid to commit to him like that. They had to spend the money anyway so that doesn't bother me, but they must be sure he is going to become a good QB to trade for him like that.

mayotm
07-28-2011, 02:43 PM
He does get to play in the NFC West. That should help him a ton.

EricStratton
07-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Philly seems to be putting a lot of faith in the Mike Vick experiment.

Him being great two years in a row is a gamble.

Jaybird
07-28-2011, 02:44 PM
NOt sold on Kolb. He did have 2 big games two seaons ago.. but they were against terrible teams

The Jokeman
07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
What has Kolb shown? I mean that seems like alot.
The Cardinals drafted Peterson this year who's arguably better than Cromartie. In terms of a 2nd Round pick. Meh the Seahawks gave up that for Whitehurst and Kolb appears to be better. I think it's fair for Kolb's potential.

DBrown77
07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
His QB rating is in the 70's and has thrown more INT's than TD's in his career.

Thats a lot to give up and pay for him. He has a lot of pressure on him now.

mikemac2001
07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
just wait until someone bites on mallet to load up the pats for years

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Philly seems to be putting a lot of faith in the Mike Vick experiment.

Him being great two years in a row is a gamble.

A lot of rumors have them signing Vince Young to backup Vick. Makes sense in that they are similar in style.

trapezeus
07-28-2011, 02:52 PM
again, seeing what the kolb price was, i'm so much happier with thigpen an a chance to get a QB in the first round than getting this bum and pretending we addressed the issue and pass on 3-5 very good QBs this spring.

PromoTheRobot
07-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Insane but people get desperate for QB's, like we did for RJ and Bledsoe years back and overpay.

Eagles get a solid CB and a high pick. They win this trade.

But hey, the Cards now have their FRANCHISE QB...meaning they had to flush the franchise to get him.

PTR

Mike
07-28-2011, 04:42 PM
many Card fans were very disappointed with this move even before it happened. Cards could have had Orton, who is 1yr older and has more experience and much better stats for a 3rd rounder! Plus he would have been cheaper. Now it looks like the Dols will get Orton, for marginal compensation.

Jeff1220
07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm not gonna act like I know that Kolb is gonna be great, but I think AZ is a good situation for him. He'll be working with a good coach in a good offense and throwing to a great WR. I do think Kolb has what it takes to be a starting QB there, and a good one. Having said that, this just shows how much value there is at the position over others.

better days
07-28-2011, 05:26 PM
many Card fans were very disappointed with this move even before it happened. Cards could have had Orton, who is 1yr older and has more experience and much better stats for a 3rd rounder! Plus he would have been cheaper. Now it looks like the Dols will get Orton, for marginal compensation.

I think you & others are underestimating what Denver will take for Orton. I doubt they trade him for a 3rd. I also heard they were sick & tired of Cromartie & his attitude & wanted to be rid of him.

Mr. Pink
07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Kolb lands in an awesome spot for him to succeed in Arizona. A team with plenty of weapons and guys to make him look good.

Trades like this show it's a QB driven league and if you don't have one, you got nothing. Kolb has shown enough promise over the past few years for someone to take the chance he will be a good QB over the long haul in this league.

YardRat
07-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Kolb lands in an awesome spot for him to succeed in Arizona. A team with plenty of weapons and guys to make him look good.

Trades like this show it's a QB driven league and if you don't have one, you got nothing. Kolb has shown enough promise over the past few years for someone to take the chance he will be a good QB over the long haul in this league.

Until he crashes and burns, and Arizona returns to perennial also-rans.

I'm just glad that there is now evidence that somebody's front office is dumber than our own. One down, 30 to go.

Mike
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
I think you & others are underestimating what Denver will take for Orton. I doubt they trade him for a 3rd. I also heard they were sick & tired of Cromartie & his attitude & wanted to be rid of him.

You know that there is this rumor that the Dolphins might be able to get him without giving any pick up! Read it again, it should surprise you so a third is very high. The scenario is such that Orton is owned money pretty soon here if the Broncos don't trade him or cut him and rumor has it that they will cut him before paying him, so in that case the Dols would get him without giving up a single pick. This has now become a game of chicken.

Mr. Pink
07-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Until he crashes and burns, and Arizona returns to perennial also-rans.

I'm just glad that there is now evidence that somebody's front office is dumber than our own. One down, 30 to go.

Kolb outperformed Cardinal QBs last year in half a season less of action.

They improved their situation even if you feel Kolb is overrated.

better days
07-29-2011, 01:07 AM

Scott Mitchell & Rob Johnson say hello.

Mr. Pink
07-29-2011, 01:27 AM

Or Matt Schaub says hello.

Electrici
07-29-2011, 01:40 AM
Cardinals desperately needed a QB and this deal shows just that. He's definitely better than Anderson, Skelton and Max Hall. They did what they needed to do and I believe they will be better this season because of it. Playing in the NFC West helps matters also.

trapezeus
07-29-2011, 08:43 AM
and he's injury prone, so when he goes down and the bad back ups go in, it'll be fun to hear the kolb supporters say, "but this was just a temporary injury"

And the bills fans will say, we know what living with rob johnson is like. this is going to take 3-5 years to wash from your team.

Bill Cody
07-29-2011, 09:38 AM

They've taken a chance. You can't win without a QB and there isn't enough good ones, fact. I defy anyone to tell me they KNOW how Kolb will turn out. I've seen him look pretty damn good and seen him look lost in the tall grass. But that's true of most inexperienced QB's.

I agree he is going into a good situation. Perfect weather to throw the ball, best receiver in the game, a team committed to a balanced approach on offense. My guess is he will have some ups and downs but in the end turn out to be a good player. How good will depend more on how mentally tough he turns out to be. NFL QB is the toughest job in pro sports.