PDA

View Full Version : 1980 U.S. team to be inducted into Hockey Hall

Don Cherry
06-25-2003, 05:51 AM
EVELETH, Minn. (AP) - Twenty-three years later, the “Miracle on Ice” will officially be enshrined in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

The entire 1980 U.S. Olympic team, which scored an improbable victory over the Soviet Union in Lake Placid, N.Y., en route to winning the gold medal, will be inducted along with four individual players, the Hall announced Tuesday.

The coaching staff, general manager, team physician, trainer, equipment manager, chairman of the U.S. Olympic Hockey Committee and all 20 players will be enshrined at a ceremony on Oct. 18 in Eveleth. Phil Verchota, a banker in Willmar, is one of the former players who will be inducted.

The Hall will also induct John Cunniff, Dick Dougherty, Mark Howe and Pat LaFontaine.
more (http://www.wctrib.com/Main.asp?SectionID=30&SubSectionID=87&ArticleID=15740)

Š
06-25-2003, 06:58 AM
I heard they were writing a book on the successful NHL careers of "Miracle on Ice" team members.

It's @ 4 pages long...

BillsNYC
06-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Š
I heard they were writing a book on the successful NHL careers of "Miracle on Ice" team members.

It's @ 4 pages long...

hmm...i thought they were still stuck on filling the cover?

Rude American
06-25-2003, 12:32 PM
THat was a remarkable accomplishment in American sports history, but there's no way that team shold go to the hockey hall of fame. The won a gold medal. Nothing more. It's been done before and it will be done again.

Like Doug said, only about 4 players went on to play in the NHL. None of them are deserving of such an honor.

Š
06-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Rude, read the post...it's the US Hockey Hall of Fame., i.e. big fish, small pond.

They've had their 5 minutes of fame...next customer please :D

BillsNYC
06-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Š
Rude, read the post...it's the US Hockey Hall of Fame., i.e. big fish, small pond.

They've had their 5 minutes of fame...next customer please :D

HAAHAHAHA!!! US hockey hall of fame! thats like saying the Japaneese baskeball hall of fame!

Rude American
06-25-2003, 05:52 PM
you know, I was going to say that they may be deserving to go to the us sports hall of fame if there is such a thing. i didn't know there was a us hockey hall of fame. I see no problem with that. That team represented change like no other. huh? lol.

ticatfan
06-26-2003, 08:00 AM
These guys are probably the first to go in.hahaha

Rude American
06-26-2003, 08:10 AM
This means that Roenick, LeClaire, Modano, Gueren, Hull, Amonte, etc, are guaranteed a spot. And Lafontaine. Hell, any american to have played in the NHL in the last 20 years will go in for sure.

ticatfan
06-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Hull can go to both,can't he?

Š
06-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Yep, he's bi

Twistmyarm
06-26-2003, 11:25 AM
my college home ice was the 1980 olympic rink...pretty overwhelming feelings the first time we practiced there, the whole team kinda looked around the place in awe that we were going to be playing the same place the "miracle" happened.

even had Eruzione come to one of our games and come into the locker room between periods...great memories!

Mr.Reality
06-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC

HAAHAHAHA!!! US hockey hall of fame! thats like saying the Japaneese baskeball hall of fame!
:lol: