PDA

View Full Version : Falcons Re-sign Clabo

BLeonard
07-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Per Schefter: http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/96743941529022466

Falcons reached agreement with OT Tyson Clabo.

-Bill

The Spaz
07-28-2011, 07:55 PM
late...:)

YardRat
07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Buh-bye.

X-Era
07-28-2011, 07:57 PM
He wanted to stay a Falcon ultimately or he would have just taken our offer. I;m not angry by this at all. I think Matt Light would come cheaper and would be able to play LT in a pinch.

BLeonard
07-28-2011, 07:57 PM
late...:)

You had no link... I know some net-nazis insist on them... :)

-Bill

YardRat
07-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm not as high on Clabo as some others are.

don137
07-28-2011, 08:03 PM
This just shows how little people want to play in Buffalo. Let's face it, it will take drafting a player like Andrew Luck and a few of the players drafted under Nix developing into good players so the Bills can be seen as an up and coming team before players want to come here.
I guess the Bills can renegotiate some players contract and make it front load heavy to reach the floor of the cap to put them in good position for future years.
Just when you feel this franchise cannot get any lower you see how no one truly wants to come to Buffalo.
I feel like the Bills franchise belongs on the land of misfit toys.

X-Era
07-28-2011, 08:04 PM
It will not shock me to see us get in on another significant player

X-Era
07-28-2011, 08:05 PM
This just shows how little people want to play in Buffalo. Let's face it, it will take drafting a player like Andrew Luck and a few of the players drafted under Nix developing into good players so the Bills can be seen as an up and coming team before players want to come here.
I guess the Bills can renegotiate some players contract and make it front load heavy to reach the floor of the cap to put them in good position for future years.
Just when you feel this franchise cannot get any lower you see how no one truly wants to come to Buffalo.
I feel like the Bills franchise belongs on the land of misfit toys.I really don;t think that's fair. We can't read the guys mind. He probably loves ATL. They reportedly matched our offer, at that point it makes total sense for him to stay.

He's one guy.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 08:12 PM
I really don;t think that's fair. We can't read the guys mind. He probably loves ATL. They reportedly matched our offer, at that point it makes total sense for him to stay.

He's one guy.

Well, they said they wanted Poz and they couldn't keep him. They said they wanted Clabo and they couldn't get him. It's not one guy- it's two guys in the past 2 or 3 days.

Who was the last significant FA to come to Buffalo? Probably TO, but he had few choices and he did nothing. Florence is decent, but we really have to go back to Takeo Spikes to find a FA who truly contributed.

This organization continues to get their asses handed to them in FA. It's really getting sickening.

And for the record, I'm glad Poz walked, but it still doesn't bode well for the FO when they say they want him and can't keep him.

BillsWin
07-28-2011, 08:13 PM
We are trying hard to improve the team.

methos4ever
07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Can't we look at a guy that is showing loyalty to the organization that signed him as a UDFA and developed him into a starter rather than the woe is me, the Bills can't sign anyone? Shoot, if Peters had gone about his business like Clabo, the line would be in far better shape..

X-Era
Well, they said they wanted Poz and they couldn't keep him. They said they wanted Clabo and they couldn't get him. It's not one guy- it's two guys in the past 2 or 3 days.

Who was the last significant FA to come to Buffalo? Probably TO, but he had few choices and he did nothing. Florence is decent, but we really have to go back to Takeo Spikes to find a FA who truly contributed.

This organization continues to get their asses handed to them in FA. It's really getting sickening.

And for the record, I'm glad Poz walked, but it still doesn't bode well for the FO when they say they want him and can't keep him.1) It's one guy who wasn't ours to start with
2) Poz was a loss that has yet to be replaced... but we also didn't overpay
3) Winning will attract attention
4) Until #3 happens, the Bills need to keep trying and they will land a guy or two

YardRat
And for the record, I'm glad Poz walked, but it still doesn't bode well for the FO when they say they want him and can't keep him.

It isn't our fault the dumbass actually has delusions about being a better fit for a 4-3.

Goobylal
07-28-2011, 08:16 PM

They also said they wouldn't be targeting any top-60 FA's, and that was obviously false.

Bert102176
07-28-2011, 08:16 PM
no one really want's to come here cause of rw being so old and not knowing what'll happen to the team after he passesaway RW needs to sell the team

wmoz11
07-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Will be interesting to see what his contract ended up being. And if we can get a report (Blame Canada) about how close it was to what the Bills offered or how close the Bills actually were.

Leaning towards being used as leverage on this one.

clumping platelets
07-28-2011, 08:21 PM

and if the Bills kept Poz you would complain about 6yrs and $45 million.........it's a no win situation for the Bills and you

psubills62
07-28-2011, 08:22 PM
It isn't our fault the dumbass actually has delusions about being a better fit for a 4-3.
Yeah, why would he think he's a better fit in a system where he got a sack, 3 INT's and 3 FF's in 12 games, the last time he played in that defense. What a wild thought.

tampabay25690
07-28-2011, 08:23 PM
no one really want's to come here cause of rw being so old and not knowing what'll happen to the team after he passesaway RW needs to sell the team

Has nothing to do with it.....

psubills62
07-28-2011, 08:24 PM
and if the Bills kept Poz you would complain about 6yrs and $45 million.........it's a no win situation for the Bills and you
Nothing's ever good enough for Op. If we sign a guy, it's for too much. If we don't sign him, then it's obviously the fault of the front office for not conning him into signing a deal that doesn't overpay him. We need to outbid teams, but we can't overpay.

Whatever they do, he'll find something to complain about. It's always their fault. The concept never arises that maybe the player wasn't going to sign with Buffalo and had intentions of going elsewhere all along.

Goobylal
07-28-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't doubt the Bills offered him a huge deal, which reportedly Atlanta matched. Given that Atlanta is a good team and he's been with them for years, meaning he's settled there, and it it's true Atlanta matched the offer, I doubt he would have left Atlanta for many teams in the league.

Luisito23
07-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Nothing's ever good enough for Op.

And nothing is ever bad enough for some hard-headed idiots here who sugarcoat everything this joke of a franchise does, or don't do.

psubills62
07-28-2011, 08:39 PM
And nothing is ever bad enough for some hard-headed idiots here who sugarcoat everything this joke of a franchise does, or don't do.
Like who?

Philagape
07-28-2011, 08:41 PM
They better go all in on Burnett

X-Era
07-28-2011, 08:42 PM
They better go all in on BurnettWhy are the two related? But I do agree we need a starting MLB

Luisito23
07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Like who?

LOL...I wasn't referring to you.

BloFan4Life
07-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Only signed for 5 million a year. Are you kidding me OBD!!!!!

Demon
07-28-2011, 09:49 PM

LOL i know. This team year in and year out can't sign any free agents and yet there is no problem? Sabres couldn't land a free agent to save their lives either until Pegula came in and boom, guys are signing and accepting no trade clauses.

Don't forget, we are the franchise that threw a massive party and celebrated like we just won a playoff game because... TERRELL OWENS signed with us.

Some people need a dose of reality around here.

tampabay25690
07-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow just saw the contract...
What a joke 5 year $25 mill.....
Thought it would be $7 mill per

Philagape
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Only signed for 5 million a year. Are you kidding me OBD!!!!!

I bet the Bills beat that but Atlanta got a discount

Michael82
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I just saw the contract and wanted to scream. You gotta be kidding me! He only signed for 5-years $25 million....why the **** didn't the Bills go up to $7 million a year? They could have easily enticed him with a lot more money. Man, they really are cheap bastards! I hate Ralph and Buddy right now. *cue Op/Dr. Lecter type rant*

:mad: :curse:

Philagape
07-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Wow just saw the contract...
What a joke 5 year $25 mill.....
Thought it would be $7 mill per

This is a RT we're talking about; how many other RTs make even 5?

Patti120
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Git er done Marv!! Oh wait...

tampabay25690
07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
This is a RT we're talking about; how many other RTs make even 5?

I thought he was gonna get a high contract in the $ 7 mil per.
SOme guys on here thought 8-10 per season....

Demon
07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
I just saw the contract and wanted to scream. You gotta be kidding me! He only signed for 5-years $25 million....why the **** didn't the Bills go up to $7 million a year? They could have easily enticed him with a lot more money. Man, they really are cheap bastards! I hate Ralph and Buddy right now. *cue Op/Dr. Lecter type rant*

According to BlameCanada in another thread, i believe he said our offer was over $7 million per. I believe Xman or whatever the dudes user name is said he wonders if we are offering $7mil and BC responded by saying it's over $7mil. I'll take his word like it's the bible, the guy has never let us down.

Clabo took a hometown discount to stay on a good team and not rot on a bottom feeder. He's not the first, and won't be the last.

tampabay25690
07-28-2011, 10:01 PM

:mad: :curse:

mikey settle down...
We dont know what was really done inside.
Bills were serious and he wanted to stay in ATlanta.....
lets face it Atlanta is close to a SB...

Philagape
07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Like I was saying in another thread, the Bills would have had to blow away Atlanta's offer to get a guy to go from a SB contender to the minor leagues.

Michael82
07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
According to BlameCanada in another thread, i believe he said our offer was over $7 million per. I believe Xman or whatever the dudes user name is said he wonders if we are offering $7mil and BC responded by saying it's over $7mil. I'll take his word like it's the bible, the guy has never let us down.

Clabo took a hometown discount to stay on a good team and not rot on a bottom feeder. He's not the first, and won't be the last.

That's true. I forgot about that. It also sounded like he really was considering the Bills offer and it sounded like he was going to take it, but dragged it out because he wanted the Falcons to increase theirs. He preferred to stay in Atlanta.

Demon
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
mikey settle down...

It's got more to do then just that, but you are right, that is a factor.

Dome team vs. outdoor. Warm city vs. cold city. Certain franchise vs. uncertain franchise. The guy could sign a 6 year deal with us and at the end of his deal he could be moving his family to Toronto or Los Angeles, who knows? Oh, and we'll never commit to fully back our players for a winning environment.

Mr. Pink
I dunno, I'm personally glad to see a guy who's in more to win than for the money.

Congrats to Clabo on this even though it sucks for us.

kingJofNYC
They better go all in on Burnett

Burnett ****ing sucks.

Cowboys cut his ass, and now the Chargers haven't re-upped. He's better than the **** we have now at ILB but he's a ****ing dog.

Michael82
07-28-2011, 10:06 PM
mikey settle down...

I guess I'm more upset because if it's true and the Bills offered more than $7 million per year...then apparently the Bills are the bottom of the barrel team that nobody else would go to. I also wonder if players are worried about joining a team like Buffalo, where the future is NOT secured and where you have an owner in his 90's and a stadium lease ready to expire. That might make some players concerned about joining the team. Oh and they also see that the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 11-years. :ill:

Demon
07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
I guess I'm more upset because if it's true and the Bills offered more than $7 million per year...then apparently the Bills are the bottom of the barrel team that nobody else would go to. I also wonder if players are worried about joining a team like Buffalo, where the future is NOT secured and where you have an owner in his 90's and a stadium lease ready to expire. That might make some players concerned about joining the team. Oh and they also see that the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 11-years. :ill:

UMMMM are you just now starting to figure this out Mikey.... ?

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Did you even read my post? This is the typical "attack the poster because I don't have a logical rebuttal to the post" response.

I would definitely be complaining if we gave Poz that contract, but I'm not complaining about not keeping Poz.

The inability to sign FA's is a consistent problem for this team. I'm simply pointing that out to the people who think Clabo is a one-off. My personal opinion of the Poz situation has nothing to do with the fact that the FO failed to land a FA that they were pursuing, and he was one of our own at that.

Thurmal
07-28-2011, 10:16 PM
I'd love to see an official statement that Buffalo offered him more than $2 million/year and he still turned them down. I really have trouble believing that.

If he did, he's an idiot. The guy made one Pro-Bowl as an alternate, he should've cashed in.

Call me crazy, but I'd play with a rebuilding team over a contender for an extra $10 million, especially when your career can end on any given play.

OpIv37
07-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Nothing's ever good enough for Op. If we sign a guy, it's for too much. If we don't sign him, then it's obviously the fault of the front office for not conning him into signing a deal that doesn't overpay him. We need to outbid teams, but we can't overpay.

Whatever they do, he'll find something to complain about. It's always their fault. The concept never arises that maybe the player wasn't going to sign with Buffalo and had intentions of going elsewhere all along.

See post above.

Once again, you have no logical response to my post, so you are resorting to guessing how I would act in hypothetical situations. You are out of excuses for the FO so you are trying to turn this back on me.

And there is something good enough for me: WINNING. And we're not going to do it signing backup WR's and third string QB's while our opponents improve.

Philagape
07-28-2011, 10:28 PM

Welcome to reality. The Bills are a minor-league franchise.

Michael82
07-28-2011, 10:31 PM

I always hoped it wasn't true. But now I see why Buddy said that the only way to build the team is by drafting....it's the only way he can get players to sign with the team. :sigh:

Thurmal
07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
I always hoped it wasn't true. But now I see why Buddy said that the only way to build the team is by drafting....it's the only way he can get players to sign with the team. :sigh:

It's the way all good teams build. The reason the Bills suck is because they can't draft for ****, not because of free agents shunning them.

How many people have Indy or Pitt signed? They don't need to because they can draft and build a foundation.

better days
07-28-2011, 10:41 PM
It's the way all good teams build. The reason the Bills suck is because they can't draft for ****, not because of free agents shunning them.

How many people have Indy or Pitt signed? They don't need to because they can draft and build a foundation.

Well that was true before Nix was hired, but the last two drafts look like they will provide some good players for the long term. Even the draft before Nix was made GM has given the Bills a few gems in the later rounds when Jauron did not have a say.

justasportsfan
07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Did you even read my post? This is the typical "attack the poster because I don't have a logical rebuttal to the post" response.

I would definitely be complaining if we gave Poz that contract, but I'm not complaining about not keeping Poz.

The inability to sign FA's is a consistent problem for this team. I'm simply pointing that out to the people who think Clabo is a one-off. My personal opinion of the Poz situation has nothing to do with the fact that the FO failed to land a FA that they were pursuing, and he was one of our own at that.
Spikes, Dockery, Bledsoe. etc.etc

wmoz11
07-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Remember when we signed Langston Walker to this same exact contract (not sure on the guaranteed money amount)? Good times... well, for Langston.

Novacane
07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I hope the reports we offered him 7 mill per are not true. That is really depressing if they are true and he took 2 mill less per year. What else can the Bills do?

Mr. Pink
07-28-2011, 11:13 PM

You say that and then look at the Patriots and they sign guys every year to improve.

It's simple, you draft the franchise QB and then you piece together everything else any way you want. That is the successful formula of an NFL team.

Demon
07-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Bingo. And this is why when we signed Terrell Owens it was such a big deal, because, finally... FINALLY, it felt like we belonged with the rest of the league, like we were in the NFL.

Night Train
07-29-2011, 02:55 AM
A shame but all reports were his family loved Atlanta and didn't wish to move. The Bills may have strictly been used as leverage for a better deal but I'm sure Clabo seriously considered coming. Falcons finally caved.

They are offering good $$ to the right type of players.

ddaryl
07-29-2011, 06:14 AM
We're not going to be a top spot for FA's until our drafted core becomes a playoff caliber team.. Or we overpay

Bummed about Clabo... Thought we had a good chance, but looks like we were purely leverage

X-Era
07-29-2011, 06:18 AM

:mad: :curse:Or not. Colon reportedly re-signed for 3 mill less to stay with the Steelers.

Another benefit of having a winner... people want to stay more and may take less to do it.

mysticsoto
07-29-2011, 07:00 AM
We're not going to be a top spot for FA's until our drafted core becomes a playoff caliber team.. Or we overpay

Bummed about Clabo... Thought we had a good chance, but looks like we were purely leverage

Sad, but has truth to it.

Which means, if we can't rely on FA to get better in the draft, somehow we need to try and stockpile as many draft picks as we can...and then actually HIT on most of them to become a viable team!

OpIv37
07-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Spikes, Dockery, Bledsoe. etc.etc

Bledsoe was before Spikes and was a trade, so it has nothing to do with landing FA's.

Dockery was 2007. That's a long-ass time ago.

EDS
07-29-2011, 08:22 AM
You say that and then look at the Patriots and they sign guys every year to improve.

It's simple, you draft the franchise QB and then you piece together everything else any way you want. That is the successful formula of an NFL team.

This is pretty spot on. There are a few outliers where teams win without franchise caliber QBs but in most of those instances they have defenses (Baltimore: Lewis, Reed, etc.; Tampa: Sapp, Brooks, etc.; Giants: Strahan, Osi, etc.) loaded with hall of fame talent and bruising running games.

Dareus is the only guy on the roster that has obvious franchise caliber talent. We can only hope he lives up to his draft status and that the Bills can build a team around him.

trapezeus
07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
this is so pathetic it's not even funny.

The one halfway decent guy they target that addresses a need and shows that they care and they have $35MM to play with and they can not sign him. instead, they spend 10% of that for a 5th punt returner.

This team just sucks it raw. When i go to the sabres game, i'm going to start a chant, "Buy the Bills!"

justasportsfan
07-29-2011, 10:14 AM
A shame but all reports were his family loved Atlanta .
yeah we can't use the Canadian ballet to attract married guys . If he were single , he'd be here for 1 million /year.

Novacane
07-29-2011, 10:24 AM
The problem is not just the Bills losing history. If you've never lived in this area you would not want to move here either. People outside this area hear Buffalo and only think negative thoughts. Remember Jim Kelly cried when Buffalo drafted him. He had to live here to find out it's not that bad.

If we were just a bad franchise but were in a nice warm city we'd get FA. If we were a winning franchise with a good rep we'd get FA despite being in Buffalo. The problem is we are in Buffalo AND have a rep as a bad franchise.

justasportsfan
07-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Bledsoe was before Spikes and was a trade, so it has nothing to do with landing FA's.

Dockery was 2007. That's a long-ass time ago.
you like to talk about the bills FO's entire decade of not bringing anyone significant. I'm just proving to wrong.