PDA

View Full Version : Front Loading Rookie Contracts

more cowbell
07-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Not sure how accurate this is, however I've read that most of the rookie contracts have all of the bonus money going to the player immediatley, therefore counting against this years cap (to get to the required 90% threshold.

If this is the case...the FO who is famous for front loading contracts (Evans, Kelsay) could give Dareus and Aaron Williams their bonuses up front and be closer to the required cap.

Sure as hell hope that isn't the case...however based on Buddy Nix's statement yesterday (regarding Poz) that "we may just move players up on the depth chart" frightens me that we may see Sheppard and Hairston starting immediatley................

Ginger Vitis
07-28-2011, 09:20 PM
frightens me that we may see Sheppard and Hairston starting immediatley................

Sheppard starting doesn't scare me.. Hairston however...

YardRat
07-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Signing bonuses usually do go to the player immediately. Just because past accounting practices prorated the cap hit, that doesn't mean the payments were prorated as well.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2011, 10:15 PM
They aren't front-loading contracts, they are fully guaranteeing them. Several of the top picks have signed deals with the first 4 years fully guaranteed. That is new this year.