PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins pass on Orton

mysticsoto
07-29-2011, 11:47 AM
He might still get released since Denver is over the cap and may need to cut him, but they are trying to push a trade with a high return for him. Miami was probably right to say no and wait for his release and hopefully grab him then.

Still...the worse off Miami is, the better for us.

Dolphins agreed to terms with QB Matt Moore to a two-year contract.

After bombing in preseason action with Carolina last year, Moore lost his starting job to rookie Jimmy Clausen two games in. Moore regained the job because Clausen was so bad, then tore the labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder. He's supposedly healthy, but the Dolphins' quarterback situation is now among the worst five in football. While we don't doubt that Moore has some talent, he's faced questions about his dedication to football and blew a golden opportunity with the Panthers. This is going to be a game-losing offense again, and Reggie Bush won't be the savior.

Dujek
07-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Watching NFL Network and they said the deal for Orton is still being worked on by both teams. Moore is backup/insurance if it doesn't get done.

justasportsfan
07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I really hope he goes somewhere else and fins are stuck with Henne

mysticsoto
07-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Watching NFL Network and they said the deal for Orton is still being worked on by both teams. Moore is backup/insurance if it doesn't get done.

Perhaps...ESPN is saying something different though:

Kyle Orton will not be traded to the Dolphins, confirms ESPN's John Clayton.

Mike13
07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I wouldnt trade a second round pick for an average QB either.

Thurmal
07-29-2011, 12:28 PM

I don't know; you guys have done it before. Orton has played pretty well his entire career with minimal talent. He is underrated, I think.

mysticsoto
07-29-2011, 12:31 PM

What options do you have? What you have will not win you many games, yet you won't likely be low enough to grab a franchise QB in the draft next year...

better days
07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
He might still get released since Denver is over the cap and may need to cut him, but they are trying to push a trade with a high return for him. Miami was probably right to say no and wait for his release and hopefully grab him then.

Still...the worse off Miami is, the better for us.

Denver won't cut him. Why would they? They can get something for him, the question is how much.

justasportsfan
07-29-2011, 12:36 PM
What options do you have?
their current below average qb.

Dujek
07-29-2011, 12:39 PM
NFLN says Ross has told the Sun Sentinel that the deal is dead.

Mike13
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
What options do you have? What you have will not win you many games, yet you won't likely be low enough to grab a franchise QB in the draft next year...

The only option is to hope the light comes on for Henne assuming that the damage Sparano, Henning and Lee did to him could be repaired.
(no young QB regresses that much in a year, the coaches did a ****ty job)

Hell they spent the entire offseason looking to add more pieces around Henne. Passing on Orton isnt much of a shock to me.

mysticsoto
07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Denver won't cut him. Why would they? They can get something for him, the question is how much.

B'cse they are over the cap and have to be under by Aug 4th. They tried to force Miami's hand and Miami didn't bite. Now they will either have to cut him come Aug 4th or make other (perhaps unwise?) cuts elsewhere to get under.

mysticsoto
07-29-2011, 01:07 PM
The only option is to hope the light comes on for Henne assuming that the damage Sparano, Henning and Lee did to him could be repaired.

Hell they spent the entire offseason looking to add more pieces around Henne. Passing on Orton isnt much of a shock to me.

So you prefer to give Henne another chance rather than pay a 2nd for Orton...My only problem with this is...then what about next year? Draft maybe the 3rd best QB (with your projected standing)? Or get a better one in FA? - like some analysts felt you should have done with Orton?

I'm not sure what I would prefer if I cared about Miami...but I kinda lean toward Orton being better than what you have an possibly better than what you can get next year. He's not horrible...though I understand he's not a franchise QB either.

Mr. Miyagi
07-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Get ready to buy a Matt Moore jersey.

justasportsfan
07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
So you prefer to give Henne another chance rather than pay a 2nd for Orton...My only problem with this is...then what about next year? Draft maybe the 3rd best QB (with your projected standing)? Or get a better one in FA? - like some analysts felt you should have done with Orton?

I'm not sure what I would prefer if I cared about Miami...but I kinda lean toward Orton being better than what you have an possibly better than what you can get next year. He's not horrible...though I understand he's not a franchise QB either.
Hene almost guarantees the fins to be in a draft war with the bills for either Luck or Barkley.

mysticsoto
07-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Hene almost guarantees the fins to be in a draft war with the bills for either Luck or Barkley.

Well, they improve slightly with Reggie Bush, but essentially, they'll do about the same they did last year (no better, no worse) so I don't really think they'll be in the run for Luck or Barkley. And the way QBs flew by this year, they may not even be in the mix for the 3rd best QB next draft.

Mike13
07-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Orton is not worth a high draft pick, its as simple as that. His value is overinflated because he is the best out availible of a bunch of crappy QBs