PDA

View Full Version : Play The Youth on Defense - Quit Eyeing Other Teams Cuts

Night Train
07-29-2011, 06:43 PM
The Bills would be far better off playing the kids at LB ( Moats, Batten, Coleman, Sheppard, White etc. ) than getting a castoff just to show something in the transaction column. I KNOW most are unknowns/unproven but Nix drafted/signed them for a reason.
Bills signed all those Vet journeyman at the beginning of last season at LB... and they all stunk. It was year 1 of Nix/Gailey and they needed bodies..but I don't want ANY of them back.

Not going to win much this year anyhow, so build something and see what you have, to go with the younger DL (Troup, Carrington, Dareus, Jasper etc.)

Let them play. It would make watching the games far more interesting. They may actually have an upside, unlike these older washouts with zero upside.

A golden opportunity to grow as a team. I would enjoy watching their progress each week, regardless of the score.

Then get your QB in 2012 and the team isn't just treading water but working towards becoming a good team, long term.

Thurmal
07-29-2011, 07:05 PM
The Bills would be far better off playing the kids at LB ( Moats, Batten, Coleman, Sheppard, White etc. ) than getting a castoff just to show something in the transaction column. I KNOW most are unknowns/unproven but Nix drafted/signed them for a reason.
Bills signed all those Vet journeyman at the beginning of last season at LB... and they all stunk. It was year 1 of Nix/Gailey and they needed bodies..but I don't want ANY of them back.

Not going to win much this year anyhow, so build something and see what you have, to go with the younger DL (Troup, Carrington, Dareus, Jasper etc.)

Let them play. It would make watching the games far more interesting. They may actually have an upside, unlike these older washouts with zero upside.

A golden opportunity to grow as a team. I would enjoy watching their progress each week, regardless of the score.

Then get your QB in 2012 and the team isn't just treading water but working towards becoming a good team, long term.

Dude, that's too logical. I don't know if you knew, but Kevin Burnett had six sacks last year during a contract year after doing nothing his entire career. He was our ticket to the Lombardi Trophy! We missed out because Buddy Nix was playing horseshoes this afternoon with his grandchildren!

X-Era
07-29-2011, 07:08 PM

Then get your QB in 2012 and the team isn't just treading water but working towards becoming a good team, long term.BS. I love it. We can't tank the season to end up with the top pick to get a prospect but we can tank the season to start them?

Ridiculous.

We will do this because we have no other choice at this point. Let's not try to spin it that it's the smart or even right move.

I know it's a crazy concept in Buffalo but maybe we should have rookies actually have to earn their starting spot rather than be given it by default.

And folks here will enjoy watching losses? I was here last year talking about losing to get the top pick and hearing ohh no, we have to win every game, you don't play to lose.

Starting guys you know aren't ready is playing to lose.

Mr. Pink
07-29-2011, 07:08 PM
I hate posts like this, no offense Night Train.

Teams need veteran talent and leadership. The young guys need guys who have been around the block to look up to and absorb knowledge about the game so they can grow as players and as human beings.

Veteran leadership is something no team can afford to be without. Right now the leader of our defense is George Wilson. No offense to George Wilson, but we need something better in that role.

And no, I'm not speaking of Burnett personally, just in general.

X-Era
07-29-2011, 07:19 PM
BTW, no offense intended Night Train, I'm just pissy.

Night Train
07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
BTW, no offense intended Night Train, I'm just pissy.

None taken.

Winning 4-5 games with Torbor, Davis and players of that ilk do nothing going forward. We could win that many with the kids and they may actually get some experience, instead of standing on the sidelines watching washout players fail.

Long term planning.

X-Era
07-29-2011, 07:31 PM
None taken.

Winning 4-5 games with Torbor, Davis and players of that ilk do nothing going forward. We could win that many with the kids and they may actually get some experience, instead of standing on the sidelines watching washout players fail.

Long term planning.Fine. Then lock up Gailey for another 3 years now. I;m not interested in blowing this whole thing up after next year or this year and starting all over again with new schemes, coaches, etc... when we could have made a move forward.

Besides, why can't these rook's earn the job? If they are ready to play, so be it. But I don't want to lose games just because we chose not to provide any upgrades.

YardRat
07-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd like to see a vet ILB brought in, personally.

Night Train
07-29-2011, 07:41 PM
I'd like to see a vet ILB brought in, personally.

By sheer numbers, they are currently short ILB's and do need a couple. Agreed.

They can start early but don't hesitate to replace them if they repeat what we saw last fall. Then you have youth with actual onfield experience, instead of question marks.

I see nothing but short term stopgaps out there. Sign them for a year and then move on.

B-DON
07-29-2011, 07:41 PM
I hate posts like this, no offense Night Train.

Teams need veteran talent and leadership. The young guys need guys who have been around the block to look up to and absorb knowledge about the game so they can grow as players and as human beings.

Veteran leadership is something no team can afford to be without. Right now the leader of our defense is George Wilson. No offense to George Wilson, but we need something better in that role.

And no, I'm not speaking of Burnett personally, just in general.
Or T. McGee, k Williams, kelsay, merriman all provide vet leadership. Your posts are always void of most facts that you choose to avoid to try and make your hollow points. Your like the fox news of billszone posters

Mr. Pink
07-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Or T. McGee, k Williams, kelsay, merriman all provide vet leadership. Your posts are always void of most facts that you choose to avoid to try and make your hollow points. Your like the fox news of billszone posters

Lets look at your players the only one I cannot argue against is K. Williams.

McGee - zone cover corner who is now made of glass.

Kelsay - overpaid bum

Merriman - Injured hasbeen

You also need talent to go along with the veteran leadership aspect or guys who aren't made of glass. But you're free to overlook that aspect.

Night Train
07-29-2011, 07:44 PM
The youth would compliment the few core guys we have, like Kyle Williams and a few others.

I'm certainly not saying bench/cut everyone over 26 years old.

X-Era
07-29-2011, 07:45 PM
By sheer numbers, they are currently short ILB's and do need a couple. Agreed.

They can start early but don't hesitate to replace them if they repeat what we saw last fall. Then you have youth with actual onfield experience, instead of question marks.

I see nothing but short term stopgaps out there. Sign them for a year and then move on.I guess I don't disagree then. Have a reliable starter for now, let a rook beat that player out.