PDA

View Full Version : D. Jackson is pulling a Peters

Mike
07-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Eagles D. Jackson is pulling a Peters with by asking for more money and holding out while he still has 2yrs left if he holds out. Just like Peters he is threatening that he won't play unless he is paid like a top WR. Lets see if the Eagles trade him away.

THRILLHO
07-30-2011, 12:02 AM
The Eagles will be smart and realize Jackson is a good player and pay him as such. We would trade him off, despite the fact he is our best player at the position.

BLeonard
07-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Highly doubt it... I wasn't paying much attention, but I thought I heard NFLN say something to the effect of, if they aren't in camp 30 days before the first regular season game, this year won't count towards current contract and free agency eligibility.

Again, I'm not 100% sure, but they said that his holdout was pretty useless.

-Bill

YardRat
07-30-2011, 05:27 AM
Peters had a legitimate *****, playing LT under a RT contract.

snow1989
07-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Peters had a legitimate *****, playing LT under a RT contract.

A legitimate *****? Really? With 2 year left on a contract? I'm sorry I don't think any player should be allowed to hold out until the final year of their contract and then only if that option is given in writing....I think it's gotten ridiculous that with 2 and 3 yrs left on a contract these guys hold out...sitting out a year should count for NOTHING....

If your going to cry about security and want a long-term contract, then honor it...if you got mad because 2 yrs after you signed your contract the salaries have gone up...too bad....have an escalator put into your contract so your always in the top 5 or 10 if your stats warrant.....

If you only want to play LT than have that in your contract.

Its gotten ridiculous

TacklingDummy
07-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Trade Evans and a 3rd rounder for Jackson.

don137
07-30-2011, 08:23 AM
With the signing of Asomugha by Philly I doubt they have plenty of cap space left to give Jackson what he wants.

better days
07-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Trade Evans and a 3rd rounder for Jackson.

As much as I have been an Evans supporter, I would do that in a heartbeat.

YardRat
07-30-2011, 12:22 PM
A legitimate *****? Really? With 2 year left on a contract? I'm sorry I don't think any player should be allowed to hold out until the final year of their contract and then only if that option is given in writing....I think it's gotten ridiculous that with 2 and 3 yrs left on a contract these guys hold out...sitting out a year should count for NOTHING....

If your going to cry about security and want a long-term contract, then honor it...if you got mad because 2 yrs after you signed your contract the salaries have gone up...too bad....have an escalator put into your contract so your always in the top 5 or 10 if your stats warrant.....

If you only want to play LT than have that in your contract.

Its gotten ridiculous
Yes, he had a legitimate *****. He signed his last contract under parameters that would pay him RT money. The team then switched him to LT, a more lucrative position with greater responsibility, with no pay raise. And he played well.

If you give somebody a promotion, and expect more important results from their performance, and you get those results, than an increase should be the compensation.

Ebenezer
07-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes, he had a legitimate *****. He signed his last contract under parameters that would pay him RT money. The team then switched him to LT, a more lucrative position with greater responsibility, with no pay raise. And he played well.

If you give somebody a promotion, and expect more important results from their performance, and you get those results, than an increase should be the compensation.
Yard, I don't disagree...but I think the bigger issue was, did he really want to be here?

cookie G
07-30-2011, 12:48 PM

In a way, it is like Peters. One of Peters' gripes was that he was the best player on their OL, but was the lowest paid starter. At the end of the year, Brandon told him he wasn't a priority, that Lee Evans was the priority. That's when Peters stopped talking to them.

Jackson is getting a little under $600,00 this year. He tried last year to get a long term extension and they refused. He's in the last year of his 4 year contract.

He sees them bringing in a bunch of high priced free agents and knows that when it is time to sign him, he could face the "sorry, we don't have the money" routine. Like Peters, he sees himself as being dissed.

I don't know the new CBA rules for restricted free agents. I don't know if they can keep him there with some type of tender offer after this year.

His problem with holding out is the new CBA hold out rules. Especially under his salary, the $30,000 a day in fines can add up fast.

YardRat
07-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Yard, I don't disagree...but I think the bigger issue was, did he really want to be here?

Do you think he wouldn't want to be here if they agreed to pay him LT money? That will probably be something we never know.

YardRat
07-30-2011, 02:48 PM
In a way, it is like Peters. One of Peters' gripes was that he was the best player on their OL, but was the lowest paid starter. At the end of the year, Brandon told him he wasn't a priority, that Lee Evans was the priority. That's when Peters stopped talking to them.

Jackson is getting a little under $600,00 this year. He tried last year to get a long term extension and they refused. He's in the last year of his 4 year contract.

He sees them bringing in a bunch of high priced free agents and knows that when it is time to sign him, he could face the "sorry, we don't have the money" routine. Like Peters, he sees himself as being dissed.

I don't know the new CBA rules for restricted free agents. I don't know if they can keep him there with some type of tender offer after this year.

His problem with holding out is the new CBA hold out rules. Especially under his salary, the $30,000 a day in fines can add up fast.

Ehhhh...kind of. It isn't unusual for a guy to look for an extension prior to the last year of his contract if he's been producing, but it isn't like Jackson has made the switch from WR to RB to QB either. That's basically what Peters did.