PDA

View Full Version : Gailey: Brad Smith is a QB like Kordell

Jeff1220
07-30-2011, 08:04 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/chan-gailey-brad-smith-is-a-quarterback-like-kordell-stewart/

Brad Smith is not a wide reciever anymore.
Smith, who was listed as a receiver but was really more of a playmaking jack of all trades in his five seasons with the Jets, is now listed as a quarterback on the Bills’ roster. Bills head coach Chan Gailey says he views Smith as primarily a quarterback, but a different kind of quarterback.
The Bills have Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting quarterback and Tyler Thigpen as the No. 2, but Smith can do things that Fitzpatrick and Thigpen can’t, and Gailey sounds like he’s interested in giving Smith regular snaps at quarterback. Gailey compared Smith to Kordell Stewart, who played both quarterback and receiver for the Steelers in the 1990s, when Gailey was their receivers coach and offensive coordinator.

Philagape
07-30-2011, 08:07 AM
So the totality of the team's new blood in the crucial first three days is their second and third QBs.
And Smith must be a record for highest-paid third QB ever

NOT THE DUDE...
07-30-2011, 08:09 AM
They got him for the wildcat ... he averaged 8 ypc last year.

Mr. Pink
07-30-2011, 08:10 AM
:rofl:

What a joke.

scartown
07-30-2011, 08:13 AM
With the 3rd qb being active on game day now this is a good way to have an extra spot open.

cordog
07-30-2011, 08:14 AM
He will be used as Kordell was early on in his career. He will line up at WR, stand in the back field as a RB, and take snaps as a QB. When Pittsburgh used Stewart as "slash" when they had O'Donnell it was very effective.

Philagape
07-30-2011, 08:15 AM
They got him for the wildcat ... he averaged 8 ypc last year.

Twice. A. Game.

Mike13
07-30-2011, 08:18 AM
He is useful in the WC but like I said, he is a luxury and you guys have other needs.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-30-2011, 08:22 AM
He is useful in the WC but like I said, he is a luxury and you guys have other needs.

what other needs? YOU NEED A QB!!!!!!!!! HENNE BLOWS!!!!!!:cas:

The Jokeman
07-30-2011, 08:31 AM
He will be used as Kordell was early on in his career. He will line up at WR, stand in the back field as a RB, and take snaps as a QB. When Pittsburgh used Stewart as "slash" when they had O'Donnell it was very effective.
Yet the staple of those Steeler teams were Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd ie their D not their O.

mrbojanglezs
07-30-2011, 08:32 AM

lol matt moore over orton what are you guys thinking

ddaryl
07-30-2011, 08:34 AM
I fail to see why people are upset with the pickup..

Obviously Gailey sees him as a added dimension, and has plans for him in the O

BertSquirtgum
07-30-2011, 08:40 AM
They have to ***** about something. This is a Buffalo Bills board you know.

cordog
07-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Yet the staple of those Steeler teams were Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd ie their D not their O.

Okay.......and????? That doesn't mean that their offense wasn't effective.

The Jokeman
07-30-2011, 08:44 AM

Is he going to make enough of a significant difference on a week to week basis to improve our O? I don't think so. Instead he might make one or two plays all year that might help us win 1 more game. We've had some of the best special teams prior to Gailey's arrival and what did that do in terms of the W/L column? Not much. This team needs a game breakers/starters not role players.

better days
07-30-2011, 08:44 AM

How does signing Smith prevent the Bills from filling other needs? I would love to see Smith play as well as Kordell did in Pittsburg with Chan as his Coach.

The Jokeman
07-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Okay.......and????? That doesn't mean that their offense wasn't effective.
Effective but would that O win with the current state of the Bills D? I doubt it. Smith and Thigpen improve depth but the problem is we still lack quality starters elsewhere that would help us more.

Mr. Pink
07-30-2011, 08:50 AM
How does signing Smith prevent the Bills from filling other needs? I would love to see Smith play as well as Kordell did in Pittsburg with Chan as his Coach.

This team has holes all over the defense, which almost everyone will admit...meanwhile our 2 BIG FA pickups have now both been QBs.

We also now have the highest paid 3rd QB in football so we did something interesting this FA period, I guess.

You don't see why this would anger people?

BertSquirtgum
07-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Is he going to make enough of a significant difference on a week to week basis to improve our O? I don't think so. Instead he might make one or two plays all year that might help us win 1 more game. We've had some of the best special teams prior to Gailey's arrival and what did that do in terms of the W/L column? Not much. This team needs a game breakers/starters not role players.

I wish I had your foresight, I would be a millionaire.

Buddo
07-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Seems to me he's a guy who is capable of doing a lot of different things, that if he succeeds at one of those in a game, starts to make the opposition leery of what else he might do. That takes attention off elsewhere, and lest other guys make plays also.
At the professional level, football is very much about match-ups. Having a guy like Smith, could well let the Bills find more favourable match-ups consistently.

There's potential there for him to be a very useful signing indeed. He might also however, just be a jack of all trades, who can help out all over the place on Offense. Even the second option may make what he's getting, a reasonable price, bearing in mind he's a darn good STs player anyway.

Mr. Pink
07-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Brad Smith = Josh Cribbs.

Put either guy on a bad football team and what do you gain? Nothing.

Is that simplified enough?

McBFLO
07-30-2011, 08:55 AM
I like the signing. This team needs playmakers. And he is one. Gailey will use him all over the place and it's one more thing that defenses, at the very least, will have to think about.

gggbills
07-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Signing Smith does not prevent the Bills from filling other needs, and I hope he does well for us. It is our FO that prevents the Bills from filling other needs.

cordog
07-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Effective but would that O win with the current state of the Bills D? I doubt it. Smith and Thigpen improve depth but the problem is we still lack quality starters elsewhere that would help us more.

Wow.....okay....soooo we shouldn't try to score points?? I fail to see your reasoning here. If Smith adds a new wrinkle to this offense.....how can it hurt?

scartown
07-30-2011, 09:00 AM

If this one signing is worth one more win then it was a great signing. Not many positional players are worth a full win. I'll take it.

Philagape
07-30-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't think we're upset with Smith per se, he may be a fine player. But still only part-time.
The upsetting part is, right now he appears to be their prize of the 2011 FA class. Their comments yesterday implied they were done shopping.

The Jokeman
07-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Wow.....okay....soooo we shouldn't try to score points?? I fail to see your reasoning here. If Smith adds a new wrinkle to this offense.....how can it hurt?
If we score more than 4 points a game than we did a year ago it's a good signing, if not it's a waste IMHO and right now don't see Smith having that impact.

The Jokeman
07-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Brad Smith = Josh Cribbs.

Put either guy on a bad football team and what do you gain? Nothing.

Is that simplified enough?
Thank you, brilliantly put. :bow:

better days
07-30-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't think we're upset with Smith per se, he may be a fine player. But still only part-time.
The upsetting part is, right now he appears to be their prize of the 2011 FA class. Their comments yesterday implied they were done shopping.

Read the thread about the Nix pc. Nix said weeks ago the Bills will not be players for the BIG money free agents but will wait & sign players that are almost as good after that.

The Jokeman
07-30-2011, 09:16 AM
If this one signing is worth one more win then it was a great signing. Not many positional players are worth a full win. I'll take it.
This teams needs to win 5 or 6 more than they did a year ago for me to "take it".

Johnny Bugmenot
07-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Because the Bills need linebackers and offensive tackles, not the second coming of Slash.

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2011, 09:24 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/chan-gailey-brad-smith-is-a-quarterback-like-kordell-stewart/
Do you remember when slash was actually slash???

I was down in da Burgh during those years. HE WAS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE!!!

Johnny Bugmenot
07-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Do you remember when slash was actually slash???

I was down in da Burgh during those years. HE WAS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE!!!
He was also the starter, something I don't presume Gailey will allow Smith to do.

scartown
07-30-2011, 09:33 AM
This teams needs to win 5 or 6 more than they did a year ago for me to "take it".

I agree much more has to be done but if one player could be worth a full win that's a significant singing. Don't you agree?

Philagape
07-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Read the thread about the Nix pc. Nix said weeks ago the Bills will not be players for the BIG money free agents but will wait & sign players that are almost as good after that.

That we knew their philosophy does not make it any less outrageous.

acehole
07-30-2011, 09:49 AM
:rofl:

What a joke.

Why?

cordog
07-30-2011, 10:15 AM
He was also the starter, something I don't presume Gailey will allow Smith to do.

No he wasn't Neal O'Donnell was the starting qb

Mr. Pink
07-30-2011, 10:17 AM
No he wasn't Neal O'Donnell was the starting qb

Kordell was the starter when Gailey was the OC...well for one season he was and then Gailey left to go become the HC in Dallas.

1997 was that year.

tomz
07-30-2011, 10:26 AM
This team has holes all over the defense, which almost everyone will admit...meanwhile our 2 BIG FA pickups have now both been QBs.

We also now have the highest paid 3rd QB in football so we did something interesting this FA period, I guess.

You don't see why this would anger people?

I fail to see how this team has so many holes ALL OVER the defense. I would argue that at 2 of 3 levels we have a good situation with fairly decent depth. Specifically, I am fairly optimistic about the D-line and the secondary. Do we have all-stars at all positions? No. But we have decent starters plus a little depth. Some unknowns at S but not too bad, 3 or 4 serviceable corners.

At LB, we have some issues, particularly ILB. However where are the real difference makers that would massively upgrade us such that they are worth a FA signing? The scrubs (Poz, Burnett) lots of you on the board have been getting their panties in a bunch about are hardly Woodley or the guy from the Jets, who would have been worth major $$, are hardly going to change the team. Simply put: what is out there and has been out there is about at the level of a Kawika Mitchell. Little better than what we have, and possibly worse if Shep etc. pan out.

Furthermore, note that most of the 'big splashes' arfe puzzle-pieces for playoff contenders. If anything, our FO has been more active than the majority of the teams, notably so than most of our peers in the lower echelon.

The hyperbole here is a bit much.

Oh, and by the way, we needed veteran QBs as back-ups. Plus we got a truly multi-dimensional talent who plays right into Gailey's strengths as a coach.

Mr. Pink
07-30-2011, 10:31 AM
I fail to see how this team has so many holes ALL OVER the defense. I would argue that at 2 of 3 levels we have a good situation with fairly decent depth. Specifically, I am fairly optimistic about the D-line and the secondary. Do we have all-stars at all positions? No. But we have decent starters plus a little depth. Some unknowns at S but not too bad, 3 or 4 serviceable corners.

At LB, we have some issues, particularly ILB. However where are the real difference makers that would massively upgrade us such that they are worth a FA signing? The scrubs (Poz, Burnett) lots of you on the board have been getting their panties in a bunch about are hardly Woodley or the guy from the Jets, who would have been worth major $$, are hardly going to change the team. Simply put: what is out there and has been out there is about at the level of a Kawika Mitchell. Little better than what we have, and possibly worse if Shep etc. pan out.

Furthermore, note that most of the 'big splashes' arfe puzzle-pieces for playoff contenders. If anything, our FO has been more active than the majority of the teams, notably so than most of our peers in the lower echelon.

The hyperbole here is a bit much.

Oh, and by the way, we needed veteran QBs as back-ups. Plus we got a truly multi-dimensional talent who plays right into Gailey's strengths as a coach.

We needed one backup QB. We decided to get 2, per Gaileys words.

We need ILBs an OLB, cover corners, a safety. Our D-line is pretty solid but could use some depth.

If that's not holes all over, I don't know what is.

better days
07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Kordell was the starter when Gailey was the OC...well for one season he was and then Gailey left to go become the HC in Dallas.

1997 was that year.

That was the year Kordell insisted on being a QB, he was not SLASH at that point, & a MUCH LESS effective player.

better days
07-30-2011, 10:50 AM
We needed one backup QB. We decided to get 2, per Gaileys words.

We need ILBs an OLB, cover corners, a safety. Our D-line is pretty solid but could use some depth.

If that's not holes all over, I don't know what is.

During the lockout Nix said the Bills would either sign a vet & an undraftee or two vets for QB. The Bills could not have signed a better #3 QB than Smith.

The Bills do not need CB's or Safetys.

Buddo
07-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Anyone actually also give any consideration to the rule changes regarding the 3rd QB, and how this signing means we won't have to have wasted space in the roster on gamedays?

Mr. Pink
07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
That was the year Kordell insisted on being a QB, he was not SLASH at that point, & a MUCH LESS effective player.

Actually 1997 was his best year in the NFL.

1995 as Slash he caught teams by surprise and in 1996 he was virtually worthless as a passer.

Mr. Pink
07-30-2011, 11:04 AM
During the lockout Nix said the Bills would either sign a vet & an undraftee or two vets for QB. The Bills could not have signed a better #3 QB than Smith.

The Bills do not need CB's or Safetys.

We need someone to replace Whitner, even if it's just a depth guy.

And we have one good corner in Florence.

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2011, 11:05 AM
True but I think he means as how Kordell was used when he was slash. I think that is obvious!

Oaf
07-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Sincerely asking, does anyone know about Smith's throwing ability?

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't think it matters all that much. As long he has the ability to throw at all is the key.. Keeps defense on their toes.... Look at Ronnie Brown. He threw a couple passes and it really opened up their wildcat.

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2011, 11:24 AM
I am glad they changed the 3rd QB rule. It was a wasted position. How many times do you get down to your third QB? If you do get there you are in trouble anyways.

cordog
07-30-2011, 11:24 AM

1997 was that year.

We are talking about him playing the slash role. He was a full time starting quarterback in 1997, I don't think anyone here is talking about Smith in those terms. Gailey is talking about using Smith in the "slash" role which would be the 1995 or 1996 timeframe.

Night Train
07-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Lots of wildcat formations. He can throw it and so can Freddie, even after he catches a pitchout. It neutralizes teams that try to stack the middle.

There are still teams that can't ever stop it. ( Bills come to mind )

Billz_fan
07-30-2011, 11:39 AM
This is great, Chan can't figure out how to use Spiller in the offense and get him any touches, yet he's is going for a 3rd QB to work into the offense in a slash role.

YardRat
07-30-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm on record already as not being a fan of picking up Smith, but we at least have to give credit to Nix/Gailey for keeping up with the curve regarding the QB rule change.

Last year we had Fitz, nobody (OK, Brohm), and a 'developing' Brown suiting up for game days.

This season we have a viable starter (albeit maybe not a franchise-type guy), a vet back-up, and a #3 that will actually see situational snaps instead of holding a clipboard for 60 minutes.

We definitely have bigger needs and holes to fill, but it's kinda tough to ***** about the QB's and the position as a whole has been upgraded quite a bit for game days.

better days
07-30-2011, 11:50 AM
We need someone to replace Whitner, even if it's just a depth guy.

And we have one good corner in Florence.

They drafted a DB in the 2nd that could play safety or corner & McGee has said he is in better health than in years. He said the lockout helped his legs heal.

better days
07-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Actually 1997 was his best year in the NFL.

1995 as Slash he caught teams by surprise and in 1996 he was virtually worthless as a passer.

The reality is he SUCKED as a QB, his value was as SLASH. The Steelers would have been much better off with a good QB & Kordell as Slash

Mr. Pink
07-30-2011, 12:35 PM
We are talking about him playing the slash role. He was a full time starting quarterback in 1997, I don't think anyone here is talking about Smith in those terms. Gailey is talking about using Smith in the "slash" role which would be the 1995 or 1996 timeframe.

Gailey was Pittsburgh's OC in 96 and 97.

Kordell Stewart was worthless as a passer in 96. So I hope he's not talking about Smith in terms of a passer like Stewart was when Gailey was the OC there.

Stewart was 11-30 with 0 TDs and 2 INTs in 96.

His numbers as a passer in 95 were good because it took teams by surprise. He also only threw the ball 7 times. No one is gonna be surprised about someone other than the QB throwing the ball anymore.

And Brad Smith's track record as a passer, 4 of 7 for 51 yards and 1 TD. Yes, that's his career numbers. He averages 2 passes a season...great!

YardRat
07-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Gailey was Pittsburgh's OC in 96 and 97.

Kordell Stewart was worthless as a passer in 96. So I hope he's not talking about Smith in terms of a passer like Stewart was when Gailey was the OC there.

Stewart was 11-30 with 0 TDs and 2 INTs in 96.

His numbers as a passer in 95 were good because it took teams by surprise. He also only threw the ball 7 times. No one is gonna be surprised about someone other than the QB throwing the ball anymore.

And Brad Smith's track record as a passer, 4 of 7 for 51 yards and 1 TD. Yes, that's his career numbers. He averages 2 passes a season...great!

Which still makes him more valuable than Brown.

TigerJ
07-30-2011, 07:43 PM
I think Smith is goingg to play some wildcat, but he's also going to be used in the return game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the field at the same time as Fitzpatrick sometimes as both a receiver and a running back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him passing the ball after lining up in those spots, after receiving a lateral. The challenge for Gailey is to be able to play him straight enough so the opponent doesn't know that every time he steps on the field a trick play is coming.

DraftBoy
07-30-2011, 07:49 PM

He's got a decent arm strength wise. His issue always was a lack of accuracy and a propensity to turn the ball over by making poor reads.

Dr. Lecter
07-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Does this mean that Smith is going to pick up a tranny prostitute?

Mike13
07-30-2011, 09:13 PM
what other needs? YOU NEED A QB!!!!!!!!! HENNE BLOWS!!!!!!:cas:

I never said he was good.

EDS
07-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Do the bills now need a fourth qb to run the scout team?

better days
07-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Do the bills now need a fourth qb to run the scout team?

They have one, Brown.